PDA

View Full Version : wanting to upgrade need help please

FWdreamer
05-01-2004, 02:59 PM
S!
I am wanting to upgrade my Motherboard and processor. I know there are some great sites that offer bundles and i have found a few. My problem is i have a HP pavilion 522c tower, can i upgrade this machine? I heard that HP has all of their MB's custom fit to their tower and no 3rd party MB's will fit in there. Is this true and if so does HP itself sell upgrade MB and processors? Or am i better off taking my older Quantex tower and just get the upgrade for that?
I would prefer to keep the HP tower cuz it has win xp but i guess i can live with the win 98 on my quantex tower.
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
FWdreamer

FWdreamer
05-01-2004, 02:59 PM
S!
I am wanting to upgrade my Motherboard and processor. I know there are some great sites that offer bundles and i have found a few. My problem is i have a HP pavilion 522c tower, can i upgrade this machine? I heard that HP has all of their MB's custom fit to their tower and no 3rd party MB's will fit in there. Is this true and if so does HP itself sell upgrade MB and processors? Or am i better off taking my older Quantex tower and just get the upgrade for that?
I would prefer to keep the HP tower cuz it has win xp but i guess i can live with the win 98 on my quantex tower.
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
FWdreamer

horseback
05-01-2004, 04:40 PM
My immediate reaction is that it wouldn't surprise me if HP did as you have heard, but if you want to upgrade your processor and mobo, most retailers will also throw in XP Home edition for another $100, which is fairly reasonable.

Windows 98 may not handle a new processor as well. Check at the Microsoft website to confirm this.

cheers and good luck

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

Spectre-63
05-02-2004, 01:30 AM
FWDreamer -

I wouldn't hold out much hope of being able to "upgrade" that HP - most of those brand-name PC's are custom built to inhibit upgrading. Worst case scenario: you can take the majority of the HP components and put them into a new case with your new mobo and processor. This would include the harddrive that has Windows XP on it. Be sure that you make a copy of your install disks, however since XP will likely need to be reinstalled with any significant (i.e. motherboard) change.

In addition, don't buy into that "Win98 may not handle a new processor as well" - operating systems are operating systems and while Win98 doesn't care for having more than 512M of RAM, it doesn't give a **** about your processor.

Best bet is to take the PC you want to upgrade into a small local computer store and ask them to evaluate your PC for a motherboard and processor upgrade. You will likely be able to pull across your harddrive, CD/DVD-ROM, floppy drive and possibly the memory (depending upon how new the HP is). You'll need to look at replacing motherboard, processor, case, power supply and possibly memory and, since the HP likely has an on-board videocard, this is the time to replace it with a nice new one of those as well. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

While it may seem like an awful lot all at once, it will allow you MUCH greater freedom in the future when it comes to your next upgrade

Good luck,

http://home.comcast.net/~mjmcmahon672/images/Sig_Small.gif