PDA

View Full Version : Whatever Happened to the Minigames?

Abelzorus-Prime
07-13-2017, 04:10 PM
It's a very minor detail but can add a lot of playing hours for people like me. I once spent 10 hours playing Fanorona against Achilles as Connor in Assassin's Creed III, but since the Kenway Saga we haven't had any minigames like Fanorona, Checkers or Bowls. It's something that requires little effort but will give people like me a huge amount of enjoyment.

Where was the playable Liar's Dice in Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, where was the playable Faro in Assassin's Creed Unity (which we know Arno did play), where was the playable Chess in Assassin's Creed Syndicate. They were no were no where to be seen and that was a missed opportunity in my opinion.

cawatrooper9
07-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Apparently people just weren't playing them enough to justify their inclusion

strigoi1958
07-13-2017, 10:34 PM
I thought the mini games were great and offered a way to make money. They also made a nice change between missions. I really like the lock picking (I preferred the AC3 to Unity) and the puzzles have always been great as well. I am looking forward to the star gazing puzzles in Origins, but the mini games will be missed.

Sigma 1313
07-13-2017, 11:55 PM
I never really minded them in any game until AC3. Ac3 just ruined minigames for me. They were a little fun but they always felt so disconnected. So when I forced to replay the homestead ones countless times to get money for the progress tracker, at first I was disinterested, but by the end I hated them. Personally, I'm glad they're gone, they took up time and energy to produce and were just mediocre (or implemented very poorly like in AC3). I do understand how that would suck though for somebody who actually liked them.

For people who enjoyed them, do you think the compensation of the minigames (art assets, code, testing, and general time) is worth ubi working to polish or enhance the main experience, or if you had the choice, would you choose minigames? (I mean this largely as a hypothetical as game design isn't so black and white, but in the end, resources are resources).

strigoi1958
07-14-2017, 01:09 AM
lots of things come and go in AC games so I don't really mind. I never beat fanorona and it didn't bother me, but I think it may have been one of the achievements and I am not a fan of locking achievements into mini games or dlc.

I often play open world/ 1st/ 3rd person games for long hours and then to break things up, I will play a puzzle game or match 3 game... but as AC3 had mini games I didn't have to leave. The mini games were good, and I just see them as an extra and I like extras, even the ones I do not want personally, because they are making other fans happy.Plus I do not think the checkers, 9 man morris and Fanorona took too much time coding.

As for Ubi taking time to polish or enhance the main game, I consider them different things with different teams working on them. Ubi could remove all MD, collectables and puzzles to work solely on the main game and side missions, but I guess only a limited amount of people can work on one piece of code and removing all those other things might make the game less appealing. The one thing AC has always done is to have lots of things so that everyone can find something they like. I can beat the checkers every time but I made a lot more money trading so the mini games were just a nice distraction. :)

Sunstreaker00
10-30-2017, 02:41 AM
Would have liked this inclusion in the game, dont get me wrong origins is great, but to walk past a market place and then sit and play some ancient Egyptian checkers would have been great or even a gambling dice game?

would have liked the edition to eat or drink, to give you atk/def bonuses like in FF15

i would suggest this because once you beat the quests in a town there are is nothing much else the town/city can provide

its a rpg now and hopefully they can add these additions later

strigoi1958
10-30-2017, 02:37 PM
yes a dice game would have been good or a card game with hieroglyphics :)... I liked the drinking in AC4 BF because we would get drunk, pass out and wake up somewhere strange, so adding food is something that could be done.