PDA

View Full Version : Getting hit through block

Droodlesaurus
07-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Hi people of the internet;

I recently returned to For Honor, i'm enjoying the game again but the connection is, even though better than before, still wonky. I was playing against a kensei earlier today and he kept hitting me through my upper block with light attacks. My first guess is that the P2P is just in his favor. That my switch is not switched on his screen. Are there known issues like this? This is really annoying. Since i don't enjoy dominion because of the ganks i play 1v1, sadly this hitting through block thing has been pestering me for a while now.

Cheers

Draghmar
07-12-2017, 01:48 PM
It's a latency issue. Happen too often. And for both sides. Sometimes I think my attacks should be blocked but it isn't. And sometimes I thought I've manage to land a hit but it changes to block.

The_B0G_
07-12-2017, 02:23 PM
I see this happen pretty often as well. I've seen my swings that look like they were blocked, do full damage and I've seen swings hit my opponent and him flinch and then it warps back a split second and he blocks.

It's just lag issues I assume.

guffffff
07-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Is this in "Your Region"?

Charmzzz
07-12-2017, 03:03 PM
In the update today they removed the Time Snap, this could improve the hit detection because:

Developer comments: Time Snap is a legacy system we’ve had at the core of our fight system for a very long time. To be brief, it snaps actions at 100ms in order to guarantee synchronized contacts. The downside of this system has been input latency. During the course of production, we ran several investigations in order to estimate our input lag, and a few months before shipping we started to create exceptions within the time snap framework in order to improve input reactivity on guard switch for instance. After weeks of testing internally, we’ve decided to disable Time Snap entirely from the game in order to favor input reactivity as much as possible.

I will test it later.

Edit: I am not sure if the [SEAMLESS MAINTENANCE] All Platforms - 7/12/2017 today implemented the before mentioned update. When is 1.09 coming?

mrmistark
07-12-2017, 03:21 PM
I've noticed this happen in my favor a couple times, but I just assumed it was my block damage, I'll add this to the list I have compiled of all the problems we want devs to fix! 😊👍

Droodlesaurus
07-12-2017, 05:20 PM
@GolfTwoEchoZulu. I'm not talking about those. I specifically mentioned light attacks.

Droodlesaurus
07-12-2017, 05:22 PM
@Charmzzz, thanks for that reply, i hope it's fixed :) or at least improved.

RatedChaotic
07-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Gotta enjoy those....."Thats BS I blocked that" moments. Players tried to say I'm not manning up to my mistakes when I stated that in the past. If you knew and gamed with me you would know thats not how I am. I call out my mistakes and laugh with everyone else.

Glad to know I wasnt the only one who noticed this. Thank you for that OP.

FluffyRocket32
07-12-2017, 05:29 PM
A couple days ago I was playing as a Warden (pretty much the only one I play as anyway) and we've all seen that when the Warden parries an attack he grabs his sword close to the tip with his other hand and pushes it away.
I parried an attack and I saw him grab the sword and the suddenly *woosh* got hit by a top heavy attack.

I've also seen some of my attacks be blocked and then suddenly they hit my opponent.

Latency issues most likely.
Can you imagine what would happen if this game had dedicated servers?
We might have had a few or no connectivity errors but problems such as these would be all over the place because of the servers' higher latency and the latency difference that would exist between the players (not everyone has the same ping).

RatedChaotic
07-12-2017, 06:06 PM
I dont think it would be as bad as everyone thinks. Yet we will never know exactly if it would be better or worse.

I think of what Grey said awhile back. Battlefield uses servers yet I can make a precise 1000m headshot on a helicopter pilot(another player) flying with having bullet drop. Why people think servers will not work here is beyond me.

One thing for sure is..........this p2p isnt the greatest either.

UbiNoty
07-12-2017, 09:53 PM
1.09 is coming tomorrow morning! And while it's potentially due to time snap, or latency, or an unblockable...it's hard to tell with just words. If you can grab a clip of it happening next time, you can send it in to us (https://support.ubi.com/en-us/Games/4315) and we'll take a look!

guffffff
07-13-2017, 10:44 AM
I think of what Grey said awhile back. Battlefield uses servers yet I can make a precise 1000m headshot on a helicopter pilot(another player) flying with having bullet drop. Why people think servers will not work here is beyond me.

One thing for sure is..........this p2p isnt the greatest either.

It wouldnt be worse, just different with its own set of issues. would be great to experience it though

Mia.Nora
07-13-2017, 11:09 AM
A couple days ago I was playing as a Warden (pretty much the only one I play as anyway) and we've all seen that when the Warden parries an attack he grabs his sword close to the tip with his other hand and pushes it away.
I parried an attack and I saw him grab the sword and the suddenly *woosh* got hit by a top heavy attack.

I've also seen some of my attacks be blocked and then suddenly they hit my opponent.

Latency issues most likely.
Can you imagine what would happen if this game had dedicated servers?
We might have had a few or no connectivity errors but problems such as these would be all over the place because of the servers' higher latency and the latency difference that would exist between the players (not everyone has the same ping).

It is funny that you mention dedicated servers, and then claim they would do it worse. For starters in P2P there is no central authorization mechanism therefore no lockstep function; which delays your input into an action until it is authorized. And that is the sole reason why there are inconsistencies in the game.

If anything dedicated servers allow for lockstep and %100 eliminating those issues. Tell me when was the last time LoL had inconsistency issues this game had? Answer is a short NEVER. And it runs on a solid 60ms latency, which I bet is much better than current P2P in majority of cases.

Droodlesaurus
07-14-2017, 11:31 AM
The warden top light is blockable. The fiery attack that you might be mentioning is a counter attack.

Droodlesaurus
07-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Hey UbiNoty, i'll try to get some footage of this. Although i'm pretty sure if you load up the game you can also see for yourself. As you can see from the response it's not a local issue.

Charmzzz
07-14-2017, 01:02 PM
I feel like the removing of time snap (100ms delay) fixed "some" of my latency inconsistencies. Still it is a P2P thing: 8 machines running a simulation of the game, you send out a command to 7 other machines and only if MOST of them "agree" with your command it is confirmed as "done". This has to have some weird behaviour. If you really focus on weird things you will see that the duel / brawl modes do not have alot of these inconsitencies, because only one other machine has to confirm your actions.

A dedicated server where all clients send their info to would be much better. P2P is a cheaper solution, but their "arguments" why it is better for PVP games are not comprehensible, at least not for me.
Take every Shooter out there, especially the competitive ones. Why do they stick to dedicated servers? Why don't they have these weird behaviours on a daily basis?

RatedChaotic
07-14-2017, 05:52 PM
I feel like the removing of time snap (100ms delay) fixed "some" of my latency inconsistencies. Still it is a P2P thing: 8 machines running a simulation of the game, you send out a command to 7 other machines and only if MOST of them "agree" with your command it is confirmed as "done". This has to have some weird behaviour. If you really focus on weird things you will see that the duel / brawl modes do not have alot of these inconsitencies, because only one other machine has to confirm your actions.

A dedicated server where all clients send their info to would be much better. P2P is a cheaper solution, but their "arguments" why it is better for PVP games are not comprehensible, at least not for me.
Take every Shooter out there, especially the competitive ones. Why do they stick to dedicated servers? Why don't they have these weird behaviours on a daily basis?

Agree. I've ran all kinds of machinery and tried syncing them together. Its a pain in the ***. One little thing goes wrong with one it screws up the whole thing. Its exactly what I see in this game.

Ulrichvonbek111
07-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Last night whilst fighting an Orochi the screen froze 3 times then continued..
This happened straight after I executed him,,thus having to execute him a further 2 times before he actually died..
I've heard of the living dead but wow.....