PDA

View Full Version : Health Bars

Canadian Beer42
07-12-2017, 02:00 AM
Doesn't seem to be any health bars anymore. Little disappointed, how do I know how much my self healing does? And it seems to regenerate until it is completely full, instead of a health bar like in the original ones, COD much?

HorTyS
07-12-2017, 02:57 AM
Health bar is in lower right under the ammo indicator. It does appear to fully regenerate now, with the healing seemingly expediting the process when needed. My guess is they're doing away with syringes all together. Not sure if I'm upset about that as besides healing they were pretty lame for the most part. Full regeneration doesn't bother me nearly as much as the idea of having to seek out health pick-ups would. I know people will say full regen makes the game to easy, but what is hard or challenging about the tedious task of just finding or buying health kits? All in all if this means I don't have to run around picking flowers all the time, I'm not complaining. I guess we could still potentially pick up med kits that have healing syringes that we use when we have them... but I suppose we really don't know for sure either way.

http://i.imgur.com/fs2VlY3.png

Fallen-Champ
07-12-2017, 07:27 AM
I don't have to run around picking flowers all the time
Flowers are in the game I picked some in the demo I played, unsure what they do, must be some kind of potions we can mix with them - that part wasn't available.

akilyoung
07-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Hortys, I thought you very very PRO syringes??

ANyways, notice the shield in that pic, ala GTAV, you must be able to pickup/purchase/unlock armor, which is cool.

And as for the health, we dont know HOW fast it regens, Id bet you unlock faster speeds in the skill tree, and unlock how much healing youself refills the meter. Maybe eating food found in the world buffs the meter too like in Dying Light. Maybe the meter works more like the FC2 system? OR maybe this was a generic meter used for testing and the whole system will be different once finished. Mind you, we still have like 7 months till this supposedly releases, but like past FCs recently, it might not make the deadline and be pushed out further than that...but well see.

HorTyS
07-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Hortys, I thought you very very PRO syringes??

ANyways, notice the shield in that pic, ala GTAV, you must be able to pickup/purchase/unlock armor, which is cool.

And as for the health, we dont know HOW fast it regens, Id bet you unlock faster speeds in the skill tree, and unlock how much healing youself refills the meter. Maybe eating food found in the world buffs the meter too like in Dying Light. Maybe the meter works more like the FC2 system? OR maybe this was a generic meter used for testing and the whole system will be different once finished. Mind you, we still have like 7 months till this supposedly releases, but like past FCs recently, it might not make the deadline and be pushed out further than that...but well see.

I don't believe I ever said I am "very, very PRO syringes", I've spoken on them before expressing my desire for them to have more interesting effects on the condition of their return, but never said that their return was anything I highly desired to begin with. I saw the armor icon, figured it would just be armor like there was in FC3 & 4, didn't strike me as something that would be different. I wonder though now that you say it if there would potentially be different grades of armor with varying effectiveness.

In the video from which I got that screen you see the health replenish and it looks like it does it fairly quickly to be honest, although as you say there may be skills that factor into that regen speed so those were potentially active on the e3 build, but to me it seemed to regen pretty fast given that it did so in the middle of combat and especially since the self healing animations seem to still be there for the purpose of manually healing when you need to. If it regens that fast without manual healing, manual healing seems almost redundant. I will say though that a single hit seemed to take a significant portion of the health as well.

Check it out in this video, a good example of the health & regen speed is right at the beginning.

https://youtu.be/9cCtgYDAs68?t=4m20s

Health bars are for arcade games.

LOL wut? It is a highly common, regularly used function to indicate a player's condition. How is it something exclusive to "arcade" type games? Don't get me wrong just because I'm wondering why you say that doesn't automatically mean I'm a health bar advocate and want them ever present in every game, as I know questioning a statement or claim here seems to imply that sometimes, but I'm curious what non-arcade shooters you play that forego health bars all together? Most people in these forums who rag on FC3/4 for being 'arcadey" are fans of FC2, but FC2 had the same health bar system as 3/4 did.

Fallen-Champ
07-12-2017, 06:48 PM
I'm curious what non-arcade shooters you play that forego health bars all together? Most people in these forums who rag on FC3/4 for being 'arcadey" are fans of FC2, but FC2 had the same health bar system as 3/4 did.

There are people who turn off health bars with User Created Maps - I actually detest the Mini map in multiplayer games so often turn it off in maps I make but Far Cry 4 has this ****ty system where you can turn on the mini map through the interface even though the map is supposed to be published with it off.

Some people turn off everything they can and make it as HUD free an experience as they can so no reticle / no health or ammo indicators etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Aj0zHhzCE

You will see some of this in snippets through the video.

Just trying to explain - lots of us talking from the map editor perspective - I can take it or leave it with health bars, don't mind either way.

Canadian Beer42
07-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Health bars are for arcade games.

Well I'm glad you think of them like that, I hope you're happy that people can just WALK on into an outpost and just shoot up the place, not having to worry about their health cuz it regenerates like nothing.

Canadian Beer42
07-12-2017, 07:52 PM
I think if I just walked into an outpost and got shot I would expect to die.

Please tell me where in real life you find these health bars? Is a new app for iphone that tracks how much life you have left?

Nether do I have a compass emended into the top of my vision, and a live ammo count in the bottom of my vision, let alone a single health bar. So I don't get what your point is... What's wrong with multiple health bars? Their purpose is the same as a single health bar just with markings on them to indicate how much self healing will do, and how much your health will regenerate to.

HorTyS
07-12-2017, 08:02 PM
I think if I just walked into an outpost and got shot I would expect to die.

Please tell me where in real life you find these health bars? Is a new app for iphone that tracks how much life you have left?

haha, you know some "gameisms" are necessary to convey information that you cannot attain through the disconnect of controlling a virtual character. In real life if you got shot in the leg, there would be no question to you that you were shot in the leg & in need of medical attention, you do not consciously know how much damage you have taken on a virtual character in a videogame unless it is relayed to you through the interface, that is all a health bar does. I will ask again for the non-arcade type games that you play that do not indicate your current health status to you...?

Fallen-Champ
07-12-2017, 08:26 PM
https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/resource/en-US/game/far-cry/far-cry-5/fc_bar-spread-eagle-1920x1070_72q_ncsa.jpg

Is there a reason why he is eating a burger in the concept art, maybe he just likes junk food or maybe it does give some kind of health, Kyle might have something there or I could just be clutching at straws.

The4orTy67
07-13-2017, 12:31 AM
Why have a health bar at all when your health regenerates? Couldn't they have done a red CoD screen?

HorTyS
07-13-2017, 12:48 AM
Why have a health bar at all when your health regenerates? Couldn't they have done a red CoD screen?

True enough, and you know once your health is significantly low they're going to blur the screen or make things go black & white and have your heartbeat audible... More than enough indication you need to heal or take cover....

akilyoung
07-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Thats why it would be great for FC5 to include a hardcore survival mode, with no HUD and 1-3 shots your dead...

But give the option for people who suck, like me, to play on normal mode lmao

Canadian Beer42
07-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Thats why it would be great for FC5 to include a hardcore survival mode, with no HUD and 1-3 shots your dead...

But give the option for people who suck, like me, to play on normal mode lmao

But no permadeath right? Because most of the time in Far Cry I die not because I'm getting shot at, but because I do death from above or something like that, and I instead fall right next to the enemy and die cuz it was I high jump.

Canadian Beer42
07-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Nah, I really don't want is game to turn to COD, the Far Cry games are my sanctuary.

HorTyS
07-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Nah, I really don't want is game to turn to COD, the Far Cry games are my sanctuary.

Retaining the health bar as a HUD element merely to keep it from "turning into COD" is a lame reason to keep a HUD element that is no longer necessary....

Canadian Beer42
07-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Retaining the health bar as a HUD element merely to keep it from "turning into COD" is a lame reason to keep a HUD element that is no longer necessary....

It is necessary if we wanna keep self healing. Which I'm very pro-self healing.

HorTyS
07-13-2017, 11:51 PM
It is necessary if we wanna keep self healing. Which I'm very pro-self healing.

How is displaying a health bar required to retain a self-healing mechanic though? As I mentioned before, there are other ways to convey to the player that they are low on health and need to heal, so the health bar in FC is already sort of a redundant HUD element, it's just that before you wouldn't know you needed to heal without it because you had multiple bars and if one was full it seemed as though you were at full health display wise, but with full regeneration now, if you need to heal, you'll know it with or without the health bar, and if you aren't still under attack you'll regen to full health anyway.

My point is, the health bar isn't the only thing that tells you you need to heal. In fact if you have to look down at it to see that information, you're not paying as much attention to the situation that is causing your reduced health. So simply utilizing the indicators they already employ like your audible heart rate, de-saturated screen and blurred vision gives you all the information you need that it is time to manually heal without requiring looking at a wholly unnecessary HUD element in the corner. I think if they're going with full health regen rather than the past game's multiple bars system, the health bar is now unnecessary and the armor bar should be integrated into the outline of the compass or some other HUD element to keep them minimal...

Canadian Beer42
07-14-2017, 04:28 AM
How is displaying a health bar required to retain a self-healing mechanic though? As I mentioned before, there are other ways to convey to the player that they are low on health and need to heal, so the health bar in FC is already sort of a redundant HUD element, it's just that before you wouldn't know you needed to heal without it because you had multiple bars and if one was full it seemed as though you were at full health display wise, but with full regeneration now, if you need to heal, you'll know it with or without the health bar, and if you aren't still under attack you'll regen to full health anyway.

My point is, the health bar isn't the only thing that tells you you need to heal. In fact if you have to look down at it to see that information, you're not paying as much attention to the situation that is causing your reduced health. So simply utilizing the indicators they already employ like your audible heart rate, de-saturated screen and blurred vision gives you all the information you need that it is time to manually heal without requiring looking at a wholly unnecessary HUD element in the corner. I think if they're going with full health regen rather than the past game's multiple bars system, the health bar is now unnecessary and the armor bar should be integrated into the outline of the compass or some other HUD element to keep them minimal...

It's vital to the self healing because it tells you whether or not you actually got to heal and how much it will actually heal. Having to judge how much your healing does based on the brightness of the red surrounding my screen, is difficult to do. I mean you'd get a basic idea, but certainly not as accurate. You'd also potentially die sometimes if not often because of it, you don't know the exact amount of health you got.

Minimizing the HUD on a screen is of course better for gameplay, but you lose many other mechanics and abilities. Isn't the ammo count and health fading away when not in use good enough? IMO it is.

HorTyS
07-14-2017, 06:37 AM
The health bars in Fallout only appear when you are in batttle / getting shot at.

Health, armor & ammo counters fade in these FC5 videos as well

HorTyS
07-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Makes sense. How about the reticle?

Most likely it will be a toggle-able option as it has been for the last 4+ games....