PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Dedicated Server

JRH147
01-15-2004, 11:53 AM
I love playing every night on VFC HOST and GreaterGreen and now I want to set up one of my own (just in case those are filled up).

I have an extra computer - 1.8GhzP4, 512 RDRAM - can I set up a Ded. Server on this or do I need to get one of those services that runs me 100-200$ a month? (I'd much prefer to do the first)

2. Can I run this at the same time that I play FB on my other machine (both working through a router - cable connection) with no difference in lag times?

3. Is there a link or a set of instructions on how to set the thing up?

Thanks and hopefully I can give a little back with another ded. server that people can join.

JRH147
01-15-2004, 11:53 AM
I love playing every night on VFC HOST and GreaterGreen and now I want to set up one of my own (just in case those are filled up).

I have an extra computer - 1.8GhzP4, 512 RDRAM - can I set up a Ded. Server on this or do I need to get one of those services that runs me 100-200$ a month? (I'd much prefer to do the first)

2. Can I run this at the same time that I play FB on my other machine (both working through a router - cable connection) with no difference in lag times?

Thanks and hopefully I can give a little back with another ded. server that people can join.

crazyivan1970
01-15-2004, 12:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JRH147:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More then enough mate. Only 2 weeks ago VFC*HOST was upgraded. Before it was PIII -800 with 768 of PC133 RAM. And it run just fine http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VFC*HOST with 23 players on it uses 1-4% of network resources. Quiet often i play COD or upload/download files on my gaming PC while host is running and i haven`t heard a single complain. Not sure what kind of connection you have... but i think you should be fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Thanks and hopefully I can give a little back with another ded. server that people can join.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1)Install server, then install patch. From original FB copy users folder and rts.dll.
rename il2server to il2fb

2)On your router set host maching as DMZ or authorize port 21000 for both protocols, TCP and UPD

3)Fire up Hyper when it`s asking you for the game path gave it a path to il2fb (renamed il2server) save it and connect.

Those are basic instructions. Maps, settings and all other stuff after you can start it and people can connect.

Also, check out read me and if you have questions ask them here, in this thread.

Good luck!

V!
Regards,

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

JRH147
01-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks Ivan for the quick reply! Again, love the server (esp. the new limited planesets!)

S!

BM357_TinMan
01-15-2004, 12:33 PM
The most ram i've ever seen teh dedicated server draw on my system was 190mb.

so you'll need probably about 256 for the server and whatever the os needs to run

S~

TinMan