PDA

View Full Version : 'Nothing is random. We prefer quality and storytelling over quantity' + 2 screenshots

Colerinho
07-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Yesterday Michel posted two new screenshots of the planets on his instagram and answered some questions:

Screenshot 1:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWOLFxlAU_j/?taken-by=michelancel

Dancing rivers on system3 . This is the peacefull side of this double face planet...

Someone asked:
"It won't be like No Man's Sky right??? Like, each world is made by hand by you all? Not randomly generated?"

Michel Answered:
Yep , nothing is random. We have control over every rivers , mountains , cities . We prefere quality and storytelling over quantity

Screenshot 2:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWOLn2vAdp7/?taken-by=michelancel

Sunset and nebula on system 3 . One day , games and reality will be hard to dissociate

SuperBiscotCOT
07-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Nice to see confirmed again the control over the world generation.
And in addition to that we get two beautiful screenshots ! :)

Telemanus
07-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Great to hear, Colin, thanks for bringing it over here.

This sounds exactly like it should be! I'll take a 20 hour game with a very strong storyline and lovingly crafted environments over a confused 200 hour open world game any day.

Looking forward to that world map, I can tell you.

You can probably still spend hundreds of hours exploring the planets/doing side quests. But an engaging 20 hour main story would be really great. I think it might be 40 hours or something though, because this really has the RPG feel to it. It might only be possible in 20 if you rush the game

IT-Tom
07-08-2017, 04:13 PM
These are good news! Thank you .
Those random generated environments can't be as good as a well designed one ^_^

Folezicle
07-09-2017, 08:40 AM
I hope side quests are also quality rather than quantity as well. Well kind of, I'd be content with a lot of sidequests however they need depth. A game like Lost Odyssey had a great story, but for me the sidequests were bland and just there for some XP (to be honest I never finished Disc 3 so things could of changed). However one of my favorite games of all time Deus E: Human Revolution (and its sequel) had a decent amount of sidequests, each one had some charm and depth. We explored individual characters/communities and interesting philosophical ideas but most importantly it gave the city life and history. Each quest was unique rather than the same thing over and over again.

Folezicle
07-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Total agreement. Looking at Beyond Good & Evil however, the side quests didn't have room for storytelling and mostly were "find pearl, steal pearl". Still BG&E managed to give most of these side quests a hint of the new, through gameplay adjustments and location-inherent mini challegenges.

Bringing the full emotional spectrum of storytelling into every "side mission" will be difficult. Mass Effect 2 succeeded in that, to some degree, by making all "optional" missions about the personal histories of your crew mates. Of course, failing to do even one of those so called optional missions still had the severe stink of failure attached to it. Of course every player did all of them.

What I rather don't want is for BG&E2 to fall into the modern trap of drowning in lore, dialog and never-ending non-interactive cutscenes. Short and sweet works as well. It certainly did for the predecessor!

I agree with a lot of this. I think some sidequests should also kind of be unnecessary lore, in other words quirky/secret communities within the cities (it could be a music subculture to a milita). When you finish its quests it has little relation to the story (something Mass Effect 2 doesn't do). Bringing it back to Deus Ex Human Revolution/Mankind Divided we stumble upon quests to do with cults, rogue soldiers and a ton of other stuff. Once the quests are done you might get one reference in relation to these quests at best for the rest of the game.
Another game with great sidequests is Majora's Mask.

RVSage
07-13-2017, 08:20 PM
Great to know they are focussing on storytelling :D and beautiful screenshots