PDA

View Full Version : The For Honor Revival Project

TGRScythe
06-29-2017, 11:28 AM
Bring Back For Honor's Community
For Honor Revival is my hope to bring back For Honor's community and create suggestions to further fix For Honor's issues.
I've created this out of desperation to not see this great game die, under its rough edges is an amazing game. Please keep the negativity to a minimum and most importantly if you want what I want, help me

Steam Group Primary location
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ForHonorRevival
Steam Charts An ongoing analysis of Steam For Honor's concurrent players
http://steamcharts.com/app/304390
Reddit Page Individual efforts/ Support
https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/6k7esj/the_for_honor_revival_project/

We were once 45.923 strong now we barley manage above 1,000

Listen, For Honor has improved a lot since launch, it's biggest and most needed strides being a nerf to Gear Stats and Revenge Mode. They have been tweaking both overpowered top tier and underplayed low tier characters to find a mid ground of balance. It's been bumpy but its been getting closer to what it should be. The game is enjoyable to play but the biggest hurdle out now is connection problems, something that has long been a problem needs to be addressed.

Problems I list are as follows in importance (Personal Belief)
Community (or lack there of)
Connection issues
Character Balance
Game Expansion
Bug Fixes (Bugs will always exist in games and while the problem is prevalent, it can't be prioritized with the current issues)
Make suggestions addressed to the creators of the game. (They are most likely to see it here)

Please list your suggestions and join the steam group, make this community whole again, and most importantly.... please play the game.

ViciousOphidian
06-29-2017, 11:36 AM
Bump up Connection Problems to nr. 1. IF the connection issues are solved everything else will resolve itself. It's obvious we're not getting servers but if they manage to make the Host Migration be reliable and stop the disconnects / lag then people will come back on their own. Lets hope they can do it.

Netcode_err_404
06-29-2017, 11:38 AM
Ypu won't bring back nobody.

A community in every game must be safeguarded when its high and healthy.

Ubisoft ignored both the community and the game, now the game is almost dead. And thats all deserved.

When for honor will die for good, probably devs will make an interiview where they blame the game itself with BS like :

-"people is not interested in such a games nowadays"

So they will drop for good the game, and all eventual sequels.

When in truth the product got a nice success, and people stopped to play it because its a totally broken and unworthy game. Where 70% of the times it doesn't even work properly.

"please play the game"

https://i.imgur.com/uL8vIrM.jpg

Capoupacap
06-29-2017, 11:42 AM

Ubisoft ignored both the community and the game, now the game is almost dead. And thats all deserved.

When for honor will die for good, probably devs will make an interiview where they blame the game itself with BS like :

When in truth the product got a nice success, and people stopped to play it because its a totally broken and unworthy game. Where 70% of the times it doesn't even work properly.

"please play the game"

At least he is bringing something constructive inside the forum dude. Dev work their *** on FH you can be sure of this

Netcode_err_404
06-29-2017, 11:45 AM
At least he is bringing something constructive inside the forum dude. Dev work their *** on FH you can be sure of this

Its not constructive, is just naive.

How can you bring back more than 96% of the steam community back ? When in more than 5 months the game is the same garbage as it was before ? Tell me.

Gray360UK
06-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Listen, For Honor has improved a lot since launch

Sorry but this is simply not true. Some of For Honors biggest problems, be they balance problems, exploits, outages or glitches, have occurred in the last month or so. The game was (and I realise this is just my opinion) considerably more fun at launch.

I admire you for trying to be positive, but be honest as well. This should not be about pretending we don't have big problems here, but about our attitude to those problems. I can't be a part of pretending that things are better now than they have ever been, but I can get on board with trying to make a positive contribution to the community.

Mia.Nora
06-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Sorry but this is simply not true. Some of For Honors biggest problems, be they balance problems, exploits, outages or glitches, have occurred in the last month or so. The game was (and I realise this is just my opinion) considerably more fun at launch.

I admire you for trying to be positive, but be honest as well. This should not be about pretending we don't have big problems here, but about our attitude to those problems. I can't be a part of pretending that things are better now than they have ever been, but I can get on board with trying to make a positive contribution to the community.

Completely agree with Gray. Game was released in a state where it was not launch ready, and in its current state not only the problems that were holding it back back then still haven't been fixed, but also new problem were added on top.

Biggest issue was that they are too scared of making any change with the fear that it will be a wrong one, so they drag out even the smallest change for weeks/months. But those changes are still coming out as mistake. They do not know how not to fail, but when that is the issue they need to be agile and lean to fail faster.

So their development model is the combination of the worst parts of each system.

kweassa1
06-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Ignoring the resident whiners who don't even play the game, and just linger around the boards to bad mouth the game, devs, and any enthusiasts...

IMO the no.1 problem is simply the game is too "hardcore" -- so to speak -- for most casual players that have given up and left.

As I've contended for a long time, certainly I do attribute the loss of players numbers to the initial problems caused with horrible connection issues. But contrary to what some people endlessly b*ch and moan about, to an experienced fighting game enthusiasts with long years of experience there really isn't anything particularly broken, strange, or unplayably horrible about FH's core system at all.

● So around the initial 45k max player count from Steam, I'd say around 15k is the natural drop out of players who bought the game on hype, and then after realizing it really isn't their cup of tea, just lose interest and move on. These drop-out counts are common in any game that's known as being "casual-unfriendly", so to speak.

● Another 10k-ish IMO would be the people that became sick and tired of the initial connection problems before v1.03 - -anyone that's disillusioned with the game and would never return anyways.

That means around the 20k people that should be left, 18k of the players are those that never could adapt to the harsh learning curve and the premises of a fighting game. These are the people, IMO, that expected FH to be casual, medieval themed hack&slash action game with multiplayer mode that holds significant elements of modern day MOBA games.... but then found out that it's one of those dedicated fighting games that require huge amounts of time investment and practice to become any good, where the player is constantly reminded that there is someone always better than them.

In other words, IMO among potential 20k players on PC, only around 10% of that -- 2,000-ish -- are really hard-core fighting game fans who appreciate how the game is laid out. This massive player drop with fighting games is actually a COMMON occurrence. Happens with ANY fighting game.,

I've been closely monitoring the progress of BANDAI-NAMCO's Tekken 7 on Steam, released June 2. You know what they are down to?

They are down to 1/3rd of initial player numbers in the first 27 days.

<LINK> TEKKEN 7 STEAM CHARTS -- http://steamcharts.com/app/389730

Other fighting games, for exampel the Street Fighter series, have it even worse.

So how can we get more people back into playing FH? We can't -- because there aren't that many fighting games enthusiasts in the first place. The golden-age of fighting games was like 20 years ago, roughly around 1995 ~ 2010. Since then this particular genre of video games have been in constant decline as new game formats for more casual players -- most notably FPS games and MOBA style games -- have taken its place.

This means there aren't really any more die-hard fighting game fans to pick up in the first place, and the only way for FH to pick up more players is to basically add in different game modes and "relaxed realism" or "easy mode" or "casual mode" or whatever system that can draw in people who don't really know how to play fighting games at all. Something that doesn't require as much skill, more intuitive and action packed, much higher in "hack&slash" value, and plays along with a simplified or "dumbed down" fighting system with "skills" like in MOBA games.

That, IMO, would maybe pick up around 5k more people, or if lucky, upto 10k more. ...but this is basically making a whole new game so it's a long shot and not very possible at all.

Draghmar
06-29-2017, 12:34 PM
[...] ...but this is basically making a whole new game so it's a long shot and not very possible at all.
That maybe would be true if we assume you're right and this game was and is hardcore fighting game...and it isn't. Just because you try to called it this way on every occasion you have won't make it this way. It was designed to be casual friendly. And having more modes then simple 1v1 makes it something between fighting game you're talking about and other multiplayer games. And the learning curve does not differ so much from other PvP games out there. The most notable feature FH has in regards to most PvP games are melee combat that is not button smashing.

But you're right on why people left:
- marketing that sold them something that wasn't what they hoped for
- connection issues
- and something quite normal - leaving game after a while and moving to another.

I'm not sure which of this points were most responsible for the player loss but I'm sure they could have much more if they had more manpower at the beginning to address all the issues that were there. Seeing how they marketing FH from the release and how long it takes to makes even smallest changes I can guess that we won't see anything past S4 if some miracle won't happen (like some brilliant idea on how to get much more players on the deck).

guffffff
06-29-2017, 01:15 PM
It was designed to be casual friendly

You cant play this game in a casual way. Well i cant, I get marmalised

Capoupacap
06-29-2017, 01:19 PM

100% true

There is two separate things: Point on Ubisoft responsibility for this mess or harass people that are actually working on the game and do what is possible in a determinate time to set fixes. You may be pissed off by the first one, as I do and but the objective of this post and of many other is to bring something useful for the gaming community and if possible for the dev team.

For my part, I think the first objective to bring back people is to fix the core game issues. All the trouble comes first from this. It has pissed off the remaining player and make leave a very big part of the community.

Balancing is another issue that for my personal believe has always been correctly addressed. I could say, as a console player, that the patch are more likely to be thinned for PC player and I don't even complain about that...that's just dev obligation.

Gray say the game has become less fun and I do agree with that if you consider the 4vs4 part of the game but because of core game issue I had to invest in duel and brawl, and I discover a way different game (without disconnection, oh dear).

I do believe this game worth waiting and worth being developed...Even this FH release is a total mess from Ubisoft, let it fall will make this story (who say tragedy ?) even more sad.

But to be honest, &$$$ Ubisoft !

TGRScythe
06-29-2017, 01:26 PM

"please play the game"

"Please keep the negativity to a minimum and most importantly if you want what I want, help me" if not, please leave

TGRScythe
06-29-2017, 01:27 PM

The game without a doubt has improved since launch, many characters were clearly imbalanced by considerable margins, you couldn't even fight someone without being guard break chained, they extended the cancel window and now fights are more competitive and not a spam war. Revenge was a god mechanic and made gear stats a singular build, they nerfed both problems and now builds are more diverse. I can enter lobbies and people enjoy the fight on both sides. If you think the game is in its worst state, you obviously won't agree with me on anything.

TGRScythe
06-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Its not constructive, is just naive.

How can you bring back more than 96% of the steam community back ? When in more than 5 months the game is the same garbage as it was before ? Tell me.

If you played the game recently you'd see that the game is in an acceptable state compared to previous experiences

Netcode_err_404
06-29-2017, 01:37 PM
"Please keep the negativity to a minimum and most importantly if you want what I want, help me" if not, please leave

Nageativity ? LOL its just facts.

You cannot just come here and ask people " Lets just ignore the fact that this game is probably hopeless"

There is nothing YOU can do to bring back people, ubisoft should work on it. They decided to go easy and cheap on this game, here the consequences.

Netcode_err_404
06-29-2017, 01:40 PM
If you played the game recently you'd see that the game is in an acceptable state compared to previous experiences

Sure dude, now please drop the wine, and wait 24 hours

Gray360UK
06-29-2017, 01:44 PM
The game without a doubt has improved since launch, many characters were clearly imbalanced by considerable margins, you couldn't even fight someone without being guard break chained, they extended the cancel window and now fights are more competitive and not a spam war. Revenge was a god mechanic and made gear stats a singular build, they nerfed both problems and now builds are more diverse. I can enter lobbies and people enjoy the fight on both sides. If you think the game is in its worst state, you obviously won't agree with me on anything.

I could demolish what you have said here but that would accomplish the exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve, and so out of respect I won't. I don't recommend trying to argue with me over this any further though, you won't win and the negativity created in this thread as a result would be extremely counter-productive.

Concentrate on the positive and what you want to achieve, rather than trying to argue other people out of their opinions or deny the validity of what they have experienced, otherwise this thread is going to turn toxic and go the way of so many other threads in a matter of seconds.

Draghmar
06-29-2017, 01:58 PM
You cant play this game in a casual way. Well i cant, I get marmalised
I didn't say you can play this way. I only said it was designed in casuals in mind. Matchmaking is one of the thing that should connect people on the same skill level. But unfortunately many things made this idea bad. Even PvE mode is made just because of this.
BTW I consider myself casual player as I don't have nearly enough time to play FH as I'd like to - just for clarification.

Temjinyuy
06-29-2017, 02:07 PM

i Agree that game has improved since Launch.

I also agree that the community needs to be fixed 1st. Most people that are negative towards this game on the forums don't even play the game anymore and to the people that are toxic towards the game and still play it, Why?

Im possibly one of the few people that is concerned with the connection issues. I knew the game was running P2P before i bought it so i wasn't expecting a grand connection. I would say i get connection issues about 1 in 5 games and that normally disconnects because of unstable EU connections.

The game has teething issues but its the first of its kind so stop expecting instant fixes.

This game is incredibly fun and it will not die as it is a great foundation to build from.

Lucifist666
06-29-2017, 02:28 PM
I consider myself a casual player as well. Not even much of a gamer at all. I play maybe 10-15 hours a week. I have bad days and good days. This game isNOT for the casual gamer. The learning curve and speed of things are difficult for me. That being said I LOVE this game. But I am in the process of taking a break. Players are extremely unforgiving in this game. Which is ok but when you run into multiple people in a night that really know what they're doing it's not fun. Centurion, Valkyrie, warden, basically any character that can spam the crap outta stuff. Balancing is my biggest issue. I wish I had more time to devote to this game because I think it's unique. I'm a 33 year old non gamer. I only play this game. I'm a madden guy at heart. I want this game to succeed soooo bad. It's just a love/hate relationship and right now I'm mad. Haha

Oupyz
06-29-2017, 02:46 PM
what destroyed the game is the damn 4v4 , while i'am not a 4v4 players

1v1/2v2 worked flawlessly , maybe out of 1000 duel i get once or twice a disconnecting msg

Draghmar
06-29-2017, 02:57 PM
I consider myself a casual player as well. Not even much of a gamer at all. I play maybe 10-15 hours a week. I have bad days and good days. This game isNOT for the casual gamer. The learning curve and speed of things are difficult for me. That being said I LOVE this game. But I am in the process of taking a break. Players are extremely unforgiving in this game. Which is ok but when you run into multiple people in a night that really know what they're doing it's not fun. Centurion, Valkyrie, warden, basically any character that can spam the crap outta stuff. Balancing is my biggest issue. I wish I had more time to devote to this game because I think it's unique. I'm a 33 year old non gamer. I only play this game. I'm a madden guy at heart. I want this game to succeed soooo bad. It's just a love/hate relationship and right now I'm mad. Haha
Yeah, but you see what you have described here is just case of bad balancing, bugs and small playerbase. Not the idea itself. It's much harder to learn now then at the release. Especially when you run at someone with much higher Rep then yours and some cheesy class. From the other point of view I too often have opponents that are clearly at much lower level then mine and both of us get nothing from the fight - I don't even have to use any advanced tactics so I don't polish my skills and opponent can't test everything out. I often tend to slower my attacks in order to get other player to make some fight...

Funny thing is that I have very similar relationship to this game as you. On normal day I can only play for 1-2.5h and a little more on weekends. And I really don't want this game to die or go typical fighting game route.

what destroyed the game is the damn 4v4 , while i'am not a 4v4 players

1v1/2v2 worked flawlessly , maybe out of 1000 duel i get once or twice a disconnecting msg
Lol...No. It's not 4v4 that destroyed game. That is really flawed insight. P2P is to blame for issues in 4v4 modes but the 4v4 modes were designed from the beginning so their choosing of communication layer is responsible for later problems.

Lucifist666
06-29-2017, 03:07 PM
I agree it's much easier to learn early on. I only got started playing maybe 3 weeks before season 2 started. Ah, those were good times. Haha. I wish I would've known about the game sooner. Once season 2 started it's been more frustrating to play, for me at least. I main nobushi and I feel like she's to immobile. But I love her moveset so much. I've tried to change mains but I can't stay away from her.

kweassa1
06-29-2017, 05:15 PM
I didn't say you can play this way. I only said it was designed in casuals in mind. Matchmaking is one of the thing that should connect people on the same skill level. But unfortunately many things made this idea bad. Even PvE mode is made just because of this.
BTW I consider myself casual player as I don't have nearly enough time to play FH as I'd like to - just for clarification.

I dunno if they marketed this as a "casual game" -- although nothing I've seen from their marketing pitch seems to suggest so. Not to mention that from top to bottom, nothing about this game shows "casual".

When you make a "casual" game, you make it like Overwatch. Faster movement, limited variables, flashier animations and effects and button-press skill based. You don't give these milliseconds of recoverytimes on guards or blocks, set up combat systems with this much sophistication. You give them skill-based evasions that teleport people and shoot magic, or lunge 50 feet magicky effects.

The whole point of button-press skill is to remove complicated stuff which require skill and to just set it up so it activates and hits in a target environment. Lock target, push botton, bam, skill fired.

So I really don't know where your "designed for casuals" is coming from in the first place.

You know what FH would be like if it was really designed for casuals?

1. There wouldn't be directional guard. Only a single guard button.
2. Each class wouldn't have "moveset" -- just a list of 4~5 types of skills.
3. The players would "lock on" to target, use "movement skills" to do stuff like "charge forward" or "shadow dash" or whatever
4. They'd push a skill for attack, the only defense the opponent needs to do is push the "guard button" at the right time.
5. "Advanced" combat stuff would be simply pressing the guard-button right before attack and then pushing some other skill; to do a fancy move

Basically it would look like a less flashy, medieval-themed, 3D version of LOL. That's "casual".

Existentialmeme
06-29-2017, 07:07 PM
I could demolish what you have said here but that would accomplish the exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve, and so out of respect I won't. I don't recommend trying to argue with me over this any further though, you won't win and the negativity created in this thread as a result would be extremely counter-productive.

Concentrate on the positive and what you want to achieve, rather than trying to argue other people out of their opinions or deny the validity of what they have experienced, otherwise this thread is going to turn toxic and go the way of so many other threads in a matter of seconds.

I would love to know your opinion on why this game hasn't improved :)

Gray360UK
06-29-2017, 07:11 PM
I would love to know your opinion on why this game hasn't improved :)

I'm not going to go there out of respect for the OP who hasn't pushed the matter further, and because what I would say really isn't what this thread, this community or this game needs. There's a point where no matter how true what you might say is, it just perpetuates a constant cycle of negativity that won't get any of us anywhere. Sorry to dissapoint ;)

Existentialmeme
06-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Send it to me by PM? xD
IF you have the free time~

EDG_Avocado
06-29-2017, 09:21 PM
Tell me when they implement dedicated servers. Then we might see a revival