PDA

View Full Version : Character Customization

LokiRules808
06-29-2017, 04:07 AM
I'm sure no one can answer this definitively yet, but how extensive is the customization? The second I heard about the hybrid custom characters I immediately wanted to make a hybrid octopus-man, and create the space version of Davy Jones!

Kingy77
07-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Well, we don't know much. But from what Michel Ancel is saying in the in-engine demo, we will be able to play different "races" of characters (meaning different types of hybrids, or humans). It is quite certain that we will have some possibility to customize the looks of the character in the beginning of the game and/or later on during the story. What is not very clear (for me at least) though, is whether we will be able to design our character's features from scratch (face, hair, scars, eyes, height, size...) or if we'll just choose between a handful of determined characters (e.g. I choose Knox, but I can only change his clothes, hairs color, tattoo, etc.).

Frankly, I prefer the second possibility, for the story's sake. I have seen, in other AAA games, how difficult it is to fit a player-designed character into a great story. Even when I was happy with the looks of my character, it always seemed unfitting in the cinematics... There would be hundreds of different Knox in the online hub, but it would be lessen the impact on the core item of BGE: the story.

P1nKR4Bb1t
07-03-2017, 01:48 AM
Personally I'm in two minds about this one, I'm pretty damn excited about custom character creation and the possibilities of personalisation of a reflection my digital self. But I'm also well aware of the difficulties writing for that kind of character, although there's been games that have achieved a decent balance, but usually come with a compromise leaving the avatar feeling distant from the world. I believe a balance can be achieved and imho it comes from the core story being focused on the supporting cast of characters (eg. Knox, ect), Leaving the player character to 'support' them.

AThousandCrumbs
07-07-2017, 04:19 PM
A more realistic expectation is that they'll have a selection of races, including human and then have preset features (hair, shape, eyes) to choose from and you can combine and customise out of that.

Legion-495
07-07-2017, 04:23 PM
I'm sure no one can answer this definitively yet, but...

Case closed.

"hybrid octopus-man" more like Octodad if you ask me :D

I expect at least Skyrim like customization and would like to have something like SaintsRow3/4(I think SR3/4 does great at that!) or MassEffect:Andromeda in depth.

WiwarK9
07-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Well considering they have in real time destructible planets with proceduraly generated content it would be a shame if the character customisation was just a bunch of tattoos ...

P1nKR4Bb1t
07-07-2017, 04:40 PM
i think the question is less about the technical aspects of creating a character (many examples, look around) more about how a player created character is going to fit in the world. We can look at the stuff thats already out there. For example, Fallout 3/NV uses a silent protagonist allowing for a superior dialogue at the expense for recorded VOs and world immersion.

Its not just about aesthetics, the character needs to be deep rooted into the lore while maintaining a 'personality' that fits with the custom player character. Alot of games have player characters that have crafted scripts that allow devs to predict a certain situation, (eg. how the pc reacts to a situation).

As I said above, Imo the negatives of player generated characters can be somewhat negated by having well written supporting characters that the story focuses on.

P1nKR4Bb1t
07-07-2017, 04:56 PM
"I expect at least Skyrim like customization and would like to have something like SaintsRow3/4(I think SR3/4 does great at that!)...."

SR is a great example! seamless integration, though SR is an open world it has got a lot heavily scripted events. more "themepark" open world. from what i understand the side quests seem to more substantial than that.

WiwarK9
07-07-2017, 05:44 PM
By having mutliple species to choose and the eternal fight between human and hybrids i think the storytelling will not suffer because of the character creation
let's make exemple:
You play as a shark "squalus sapiens" you are disciminated by humans, they want to use you for mining their submarin spots so the common intercaction with you would be "what are you doing here" "what a sigusting hybrid" etc etc
You play as a goat "capra sapiens" you will again be disciminated but you would be told as useless and some hybrid species could hate you because you are just living a life without having to work.
You play as a humain "homo spaiens" you will be hated by hybrids and have a lot of acces for certain part of the cities.

Depending of what you choose to play your story will be different being accepted here being rejected here wich could open or close a lot of quests.
So even if we are not playing a hero that already exist, we will make our own story, which i found great.

P1nKR4Bb1t
07-07-2017, 09:44 PM
...So even if we are not playing a hero that already exist, we will make our own story, which i found great.
While I agree with this, this is the excuse that alot of developers can use to skimp on developing story content("its a sandbox, make your own story"). Its not always a bad thing and is sometimes what makes a game special (think DayZ) but imo is not what this game needs.

at the same time, I don't want this Project to turn into ME:A/Fallout4 either...

WiwarK9
07-08-2017, 12:07 AM
I don't think we will get a weak story i mean with the story they already build they can't ****ed up.
If we see the big picture we have:
-The domz
-The section alpha
-The pirates/rebels
-The slaves hybrid
-The big corporations

With only that you can't ****ed up the story imagine begining the game with only the big corporations as your enemy then the domz come and act like floods on halo that could be a great plot twist.
There is so much parties involved the scenario could take a lot of direction and still be interseting
And btw if the power of jade can give life can it regenerate limbs ? do you see were i'm going ?

P1nKR4Bb1t
07-08-2017, 03:15 AM
the best story ever could be ruined by bad implementation, and you seem to misinterpreted what I've said. Interesting story plots does not create an immersive world, its about the details. how do you create a large enough library of personalities for everyone to play the game the way that they want AND integrate that character in the wider lore in order to avoid the disassociation between YOU and the world.

I can try to explain it this way. Lets say you create a small Lemur hybrid but the script has been written for a Tiger. you cant just slap one personality with the other. but if you create a script designed for a multi use role you loose all personality all together. a third option would to remove VO and maintain a balance of compromise (a good example would be FO3 or Half Life).

WhitecladGoth
07-08-2017, 07:31 PM
I'd suggest a third route to fitting in, which isn't about race.

Gee, people caring about something else more than they care what colour / pattern / texture your skin and/or fur is? What is this, the next century?

Yeah, that. Have NPCs' opinions of particular action types, rather than races, affect their attitude to you. Sure, throw in a Human Purist or a Dog-Hater or someone with a shark fetish occasionally, but mostly have people react to you based on the value of your visible clothing and equipment, how heavily you're armed, whether you arrived in a screaming dive and slammed on reverse thrust at the last second or coasted in quietly, whether you're currently drinking (and what time it is), whether you saved the child or the blueprints you'd been sent to retrieve, whether you set the slaves free or sold them on, whether you shot the slavers' boss yourself, lent a rescued slave your pistol or insisted on letting the law handle them, whether (they know) you have a criminal record, whether (they believe) you can handle your drink, what music you put on the juke box, how you dealt with the idiot who spilled your drink or whether Jeremy Clarkson liked your ride when it first came out.

WiwarK9
07-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Yeah, that. Have NPCs' opinions of particular action types, rather than races, affect their attitude to you.
If you use shampoo and you are clean you could be less suspected to be a pirate
Depending on how you complete your quest some potential crew member could decide to follow you or not, the exemple given was: if you liberate slaves know will like you better
They already have confirmed that.

P1nKR4Bb1t
07-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Again, missing the point. It's less about how the NPC's interact with you (which important, but not what I'm concerned about). But more about how your custom character interacts with the world.

My "solution" is for your character to be secondary to the main story, an enabler. You are unimportant compared to let's say, Knox or Dakini. Your interaction with NPC's is used as either to progress a story characters storyline or directly related to what the player has achieved ingame (no chosen one BS).

This way you can start with a blank slate and build your character in an organic way. This "rags to riches" approach gives your character a more personal and relatable feeling. your achievements are YOUR achievements. Main story characters can then be bespoke.

WiwarK9
07-09-2017, 11:59 PM
Do you have a game in mind wich feature the things you speak about because i'm having a hard time here understanding what you mean

P1nKR4Bb1t
07-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Few good ones come to mind and i guess that's the point I'm trying to make. You summarised it perfectly yourself:

...So even if we are not playing a hero that already exist, we will make our own story, which i found great.

The closest example story wise is Fallout 3 and as an example of the "rags to riches" wise maybe GTA Online? or even Starbound?? though that's still a terrible example.

What examples where you thinking of when you said what you said?

Edit: I've just found this. Emile Morel talks about it in this video @7:00
https://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/321453/Beyond+Good+Evil+2+-+Artwork+Tour+E3+2017/

City-Hunter01
06-29-2018, 05:08 AM
I wonder if with the Character Customization, besides the Main character, there could be the additional option to customize crew members or even create templates for recruitable prisoners/miners or pirate prospects for the ship?

That was something you could do with let's name Mount & Blade or even XCOM 2... the characters created in the custom menu, could be used for VIP Missions, or Nemesis badguys, or even recruits.