PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy and play this game in Japan?

fakiresky
06-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Hi,

After listening to many podcasts about medieval warfare I found myself strangely attracted to this game. However, after reading forums, it seems there is much hate for it.

I have read a bit about the lag of dedicated server, but am wondering about cross-country matching.

I live in Japan, where we have +13 hours from the USA, +6 from EU. At the time I will play it will be 8am in NYC, 4 am in LA, 2pm in Paris. Will I still be able to find players at these times of the day?

Also, despite all the issues, it seems to me the developers are trying hard to improve the core gameplay, balance, and tech problems by frequent patches. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!

David

guffffff
06-28-2017, 09:54 AM
You onlly need one other person in Japan to have the game and your good to go! (for 1v1)

ViciousOphidian
06-28-2017, 09:54 AM
There was someone on the forums who said its bad in east Asia. The most sure way to check is if you have Steam refunds. Just install go to multiplayer immediately and try to find a game ( so that you dont go over 2 hours). If you cant find games just refund.

XxHunterHxX
06-28-2017, 09:55 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5ix28p/for_honor_ubisofts_upcoming_onlinealways/

NO DONT BUY IT ! ubisoft knew p2p is not a good ideea since the first alpha came out....all the bad reviews and all the topics around the forum should give you a good ideea about why you should not buy the game....

and you should avoid buying any other ubi game since the last games i got from them not one have ai felt it was a good purches....wildlands...is a joke...the division is a mess....for honor..is broken....and look a siege...been 2 years and ranked is in beta haha

Draghmar
06-28-2017, 10:07 AM
I have read a bit about the lag of dedicated server, but am wondering about cross-country matching.
If you have a way to find out how many people play in Japan and countries around then you will get the idea on how good network performance you'll get. There are no dedicated servers in FH. There is hybrid P2P. In theory it means you should be able to find someone to play with. But there is downside to this that the connection between players are not as stable so you can get often some errors.

If the platform you choose give you opportunity to get refund then just take advantage of that.

Lyskir
06-28-2017, 11:21 AM
There was someone on the forums who said its bad in east Asia. The most sure way to check is if you have Steam refunds. Just install go to multiplayer immediately and try to find a game ( so that you dont go over 2 hours). If you cant find games just refund.

this

Mia.Nora
06-28-2017, 11:44 AM
There is Region LOCK in matchmaking. You wont get any matches from neither EU or US, you will be stuck with whatever east/SE asian countries they allow in your region lock. And I remember someone saying SE Asia not getting any games, even Dominions.

Do not buy I say.

rastassin
06-28-2017, 12:44 PM
I play on PS4 from China. I see many japanese players also a lots of chinese and many others. Dominion always Very High Activity, Skirmish and Elemination High Activity, Duel and Brawl low and medium. Matchmaking only 2-3 minutes for Dominion. From 10 games 3 times got disconnection but its ok, u have to get use to it :D If u are interested in this game dont listen to the haters. Tho i dont know other platforms how good.

The_B0G_
06-28-2017, 01:51 PM
I play on PS4 from China. I see many japanese players also a lots of chinese and many others. Dominion always Very High Activity, Skirmish and Elemination High Activity, Duel and Brawl low and medium. Matchmaking only 2-3 minutes for Dominion. From 10 games 3 times got disconnection but its ok, u have to get use to it :D If u are interested in this game dont listen to the haters. Tho i dont know other platforms how good.

^ this is the only opinion you need, don't listen to CV, every post he makes is negative, not even sure why he still comes on these forums for a game and company he obviously hates.

kweassa1
06-28-2017, 02:08 PM
The matchmaking does prioritize region first, but you still get matched from players further away as well...

...but usually there are an ABUNDANCE of players in the Asia-Pacific region so you usually don't get to be matched with players further off. People may be yammering about how the game's dead and all, but not here in the other side of the world.

You won't really have any problems in finding games for a long, long time.

SJW_Kriegor
06-28-2017, 03:52 PM
I am part time in France and part time in the Philippines (where my wife lives). I just love playing For Honor there. Maybe the community is smaller (though I don't have any trouble finding games), but people don't rage quit all the time, they don't complain all the time, they don't think the reason they lose is because you are not playing the way they wanted you to play or with the character they wanted you to choose or at least they don't blame it on you.
I think it's because European players of For Honor are mostly FPS players who were intrigued by this approach of fighting games (a bit like with Chivalry). And For Honor is a game that makes them very (extremely) salty. I don't know for Japan but in the Philippines, fighting games are probably the most loved games there so everyone knew how to expect of For Honor, and the ambiance is much brighter. To the point where it looks like in France it's the worst game ever and in the Philippines, it's the game of the year! ^^

tbtsrjc
06-28-2017, 11:38 PM
I recommend avoiding this purchase. It's P2P system connects you to other players and the stability will depend how close you live to the other players you're connected to. I don't know how active this game's population is in Asia, but it has dramatically decreased here (USA).

People that recommend it and claim they don't have a hard time finding games are purely the lucky ones, but I suspect their luck will run out as people still continue to quit this game daily. Is this game dead? Maybe not yet, but it's headed in that direction.

Mia.Nora
06-28-2017, 11:52 PM
The matchmaking does prioritize region first, but you still get matched from players further away as well....

This is a lie, do not listen to this. Region lock never expands beyond your own region, it starts with your city, then only gets as far as your region not more. What he said is completely false.

I am form Oceania, I know how terrible it made matchmaking for us, they even covered it up behind 0002001512 error for a long while, when it was actually matchmaking was session time outing due to not having enough players for a match. And you only need 5 other people to start a match. I still play but only through VPN, since the only games in my region are the few dominions around 7-9pm local time.

Bob__Gnarly
06-29-2017, 12:35 AM
Hi,

After listening to many podcasts about medieval warfare I found myself strangely attracted to this game. However, after reading forums, it seems there is much hate for it.

I live in Japan, where we have +13 hours from the USA, +6 from EU. At the time I will play it will be 8am in NYC, 4 am in LA, 2pm in Paris. Will I still be able to find players at these times of the day?

Also, despite all the issues, it seems to me the developers are trying hard to improve the core gameplay, balance, and tech problems by frequent patches. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!

David

What platform do you play on?

If it is on PC, then avoid this game like the plague.

fakiresky
06-29-2017, 05:32 AM
Thanks for all the quite diverses opinions.

I actually found a good deal for the game and got it for about 25 euros, on PC. I installed and just tried the tutorials. I am half frustrated and half intrigued by the difficulty.

At the same time, I have started reading a book about medieval warfare, to get in the mood before going home to my PC. I will start the story mode tonight and slowly build my way up to AI matches, and PVP, later.

fakiresky
06-29-2017, 05:36 AM
I am part time in France and part time in the Philippines (where my wife lives). I just love playing For Honor there. Maybe the community is smaller (though I don't have any trouble finding games), but people don't rage quit all the time, they don't complain all the time, they don't think the reason they lose is because you are not playing the way they wanted you to play or with the character they wanted you to choose or at least they don't blame it on you.
I think it's because European players of For Honor are mostly FPS players who were intrigued by this approach of fighting games (a bit like with Chivalry). And For Honor is a game that makes them very (extremely) salty. I don't know for Japan but in the Philippines, fighting games are probably the most loved games there so everyone knew how to expect of For Honor, and the ambiance is much brighter. To the point where it looks like in France it's the worst game ever and in the Philippines, it's the game of the year! ^^

I agree with what you say. I can't know for sure but I imagine the Japanese players are also much more respectful, and that sore losers are much fewer.

Au fait, je suis francais. De brest, au Japon depuis 9 ans.