PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Shinobi ranged gb and kick

SikanderAzam
06-27-2017, 05:41 PM
I just got out of a match. An elimination match. It was glorious. Why was it glorious?

There I was. The only one of my team left, backed into a corner over a bridge with the entire enemy team staring me down. 1v4, but they were bottle necked. The lawbringer makes an obvious charge trying to impale me--I sidestep and punish him by flinging him off the cliff. Centurion comes at me, I parry the unblockable thanks to the advice of a fellow forum member. He's dead. Warden comes at me and gets a beat down. 3 down, 1 to go. Just one more... One Shinobi.

He backs away and stands near the part of the bridge with no railing, and starts spinning up his weapon. It's so obviously telegraphed... I know that he's going to try to ranged gb me then fling me off the cliff. It's what they all do. Cheese their ranged gb and/or spam unblockable kicks. And so when they gb sign popped up and he screamed "KAGOOOO" I was not at all surprised. I expected it and was 100% prepared. I pressed the counter...
...and was promptly pulled over to him and kicked off the cliff. WHAT?! WHAT THE HELL?!

This took the cake as the most frustrating play since I got this game... I almost won a 1v4 elimination match and lost because for some inexplicable reason I wasn't able to counter the obviously telegraphed shinobi gb that I KNEW was coming. Does it have some special weird timing different from all other gbs? I've gotten good at countering them unless I can't because I'm recovering. This was not one of those times, and I'm still steaming a little bit because of it.

Also, out in the open this guy in the next round totally annihilated me. I couldn't interrupt his unblockable kicks, they just went through my attacks, and the stagger is so long it's a free heavy. I used to complain about centurions for the reasons that everyone else does, but I'm slowly adapting with the help of more experienced forum members, but a shinobi, if he's half decent, just destroys me because he's so radically unlike any other class in the game so the things I do against all the others just won't work against him. It's crazy. CRAZY I SAY.

Antonioj26
06-27-2017, 05:51 PM
I just got out of a match. An elimination match. It was glorious. Why was it glorious?

There I was. The only one of my team left, backed into a corner over a bridge with the entire enemy team staring me down. 1v4, but they were bottle necked. The lawbringer makes an obvious charge trying to impale me--I sidestep and punish him by flinging him off the cliff. Centurion comes at me, I parry the unblockable thanks to the advice of a fellow forum member. He's dead. Warden comes at me and gets a beat down. 3 down, 1 to go. Just one more... One Shinobi.

He backs away and stands near the part of the bridge with no railing, and starts spinning up his weapon. It's so obviously telegraphed... I know that he's going to try to ranged gb me then fling me off the cliff. It's what they all do. Cheese their ranged gb and/or spam unblockable kicks. And so when they gb sign popped up and he screamed "KAGOOOO" I was not at all surprised. I expected it and was 100% prepared. I pressed the counter...
...and was promptly pulled over to him and kicked off the cliff. WHAT?! WHAT THE HELL?!

This took the cake as the most frustrating play since I got this game... I almost won a 1v4 elimination match and lost because for some inexplicable reason I wasn't able to counter the obviously telegraphed shinobi gb that I KNEW was coming. Does it have some special weird timing different from all other gbs? I've gotten good at countering them unless I can't because I'm recovering. This was not one of those times, and I'm still steaming a little bit because of it.

Also, out in the open this guy in the next round totally annihilated me. I couldn't interrupt his unblockable kicks, they just went through my attacks, and the stagger is so long it's a free heavy. I used to complain about centurions for the reasons that everyone else does, but I'm slowly adapting with the help of more experienced forum members, but a shinobi, if he's half decent, just destroys me because he's so radically unlike any other class in the game so the things I do against all the others just won't work against him. It's crazy. CRAZY I SAY.

More than likely did it too early, if you do it too early then you are in your own gb animation and at that point you can't cgb. The timing is pretty forgiving so it's much better to wait and make sure you get hit before trying to cgb

MasterChiefPON
06-27-2017, 06:00 PM
I think you did it too early, sometimes when I expect it I try to do it when he launches his weapon but you have to do it when it touches you.

Gray360UK
06-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Just dodge.

SikanderAzam
06-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Since we were on a bridge I didn't really have any space, but if you try to dodge preemptively he can just wait and nail you guaranteed after the dodge. If he's already thrown it are you saying there's time to dodge?

SikanderAzam
06-27-2017, 07:25 PM
I think you did it too early, sometimes when I expect it I try to do it when he launches his weapon but you have to do it when it touches you.

I think this is the only reasonable explanation, but I feel like when the gb sign pops up you shouldn't have to wait any longer. It's very confusing to me to see the animation, and sound, and see the GB sign pop up yet I'm expected to continue waiting a split second longer. I want to be trigger happy and react quickly like I would on, you know, any other occasion in any other game. That was hours ago and I'm still salty, I should have had that and I didn't because apparently my reflexive counter was actually too fast. That's kinda preposterous.

Gray360UK
06-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Since we were on a bridge I didn't really have any space, but if you try to dodge preemptively he can just wait and nail you guaranteed after the dodge. If he's already thrown it are you saying there's time to dodge?

Definitely. I have dodged it quite a few times (and I mean a full dodge roll when I say this rather than an evade) and it's my preferred strategy rather than hoping I get lucky with the timing on a CGB or Parry. Of course it doesn't necessarily put you in a better position if you are stuck on a bridge, after your roll is complete you're back to square 1.

MasterChiefPON
06-27-2017, 09:13 PM
Just dodge.
Lmao, I like how the meme is an actual viable strategy in this case.

Gray360UK
06-27-2017, 10:22 PM

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day ;)

The_B0G_
06-27-2017, 11:52 PM

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day ;)

Hey, stop getting along you two, we're all enemies here.

Gray360UK
06-28-2017, 12:03 AM
Hey, stop getting along you two, we're all enemies here.

Haha, sorry! Will try not to let it happen again! ;)

UbiJurassic
06-28-2017, 12:09 AM
A lot of users have mentioned on here that the ranged counter GB timing is a bit weird for Shinobi. It's probably going to take a little practice to get used to, but you'll need to work on developing a new muscle memory for Shinobi's Ranged GB.

Ngallo22
06-28-2017, 12:32 AM
A lot of users have mentioned on here that the ranged counter GB timing is a bit weird for Shinobi. It's probably going to take a little practice to get used to, but you'll need to work on developing a new muscle memory for Shinobi's Ranged GB.

What about the fact that if you are focused with another enemy and a shinobi attacks you from range, you literally do not know whether it is a GB or attack until it is too late?

Antonioj26
06-28-2017, 12:50 AM
What about the fact that if you are focused with another enemy and a shinobi attacks you from range, you literally do not know whether it is a GB or attack until it is too late?

Position yourself so his teammate blocks his LOS, if you can't than hold your guard in what ever direction he is positioned and cgb if he GB. If he attacks than it will be blocked since you have your guard in that direction and the cgb window is pretty forgiving so it will give you plenty of time

SikanderAzam
06-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Turn your sound on...

KAAAgaaGOOOOOOOO!

That's probably why it's so telegraphed with sound is so that if he throws it from behind you, you can technically still know that it's a GB. Although I do think it's a pretty broken moveset and don't like that the timing is different from all other GB. It's just very confusing and contrary to the spirit of the game IMO.

Draghmar
06-28-2017, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure if it's really broken. CGB works when you click the moment GB connects with your character. In case of Shinobi ranged GB this moment happens later because of the time weapon needs to get to you. But still you should CGB when it connects with you. At least I think this works this way. I have problem with CGB in situation like this and I can't CGB all ranged GB attempts when normal GB is close to 100%.

Of course GB when you can't see it is completely different story.

SikanderAzam
06-28-2017, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure if it's really broken. CGB works when you click the moment GB connects with your character. In case of Shinobi ranged GB this moment happens later because of the time weapon needs to get to you. But still you should CGB when it connects with you. At least I think this works this way. I have problem with CGB in situation like this and I can't CGB all ranged GB attempts when normal GB is close to 100%.

Of course GB when you can't see it is completely different story.

Yup. That's why I was so frustrated... When I started playing I was awful at CGB so I specifically just practiced so that normal CGB when I'm not staggered and can actually counter is probably 80-90%, but then I start playing against Shinobis and I cannot CGB... Success of CGB a shinobi ranged GB is probably 10-20% for me which is a joke, it's basically a free kill for them.

Coolhairyguy
06-29-2017, 02:32 PM

As soon you sense a shinobi lurking around, you should focus on him and make a priority tu put it down, as other assassins (cent too maybe).

kweassa1
06-29-2017, 02:48 PM
It's actually, "gakugo" -- meaning, "ready yourself!" "prepare yourself!" sort of under the context of "prepare to meet your doom!" or "prepare to meet your maker!"-ish.

SikanderAzam
06-29-2017, 11:17 PM
It's actually, "gakugo" -- meaning, "ready yourself!" "prepare yourself!" sort of under the context of "prepare to meet your doom!" or "prepare to meet your maker!"-ish.

An interesting insight into the foreign language lines. I laughed when I heard someone mention centurions yelling "incontinent!" He says "incontinens," which translates roughly to "I am unleashed!" Quite different from accusations of involuntary bowel movements haha.