PDA

View Full Version : Fonts size and readibility

mike.space
06-26-2017, 11:38 PM
Hi everyone! I want to wish you all good luck and make a request/suggestion.

This generation most games have ridiculously small subtitles. I mean, playing on a 32" TV at ~1.5m with a PC or console can be difficult and exhausting for the eyes. In mi opinion, a good example is Horizon Zero Dawn cause while captions are too small, but the item log is even smaller. Simply frustrating.

It seems some developers think that is kind of good idea. Some people think they try to save screen state. If so, they are wrong. They are wasting it placing useless and unreadable lines and dots over there.

Please, make nice and readable text. I can't stress enough on this. I believe these are some tips and "must have" features:

If there is only one font size, bigger is better than small.

Avoid sacrificing readibility for picking fancy fonts (see Read Dead Redemption "narrow" font).

A lot of games have problems with the contrast between the background image rendered and the characters. This especially affects to thin fonts (while a traslucent text box may help).

Take into account accessibility. On console, system fonts are bigger as some players have visual problems. Please add a "accessibility" text size setting as a bare minimum!

Subtitles/captions should use a bigger font than other text (as must be read quickly and it changes frequently).

Take into account players with dyslexia (eg. serif vs sans-serif).

Showing the users which key can use to disable/enable again the captions at the beggining of the first cinematic (like in Naughty Dog games).

On the other hand, would be nice:

If there where some different font sizes and the users could choose other one if they want.

Use a traslucent text box as background AND let the user enable or disable it at will.

I can try to update the post with other features if other space monkeys want that. I found this stuff pretty important. What do you think, guys?

Regards!

PD: Sorry for my english. It isn't my native tongue, so feel free to correct me.

mike.space
06-27-2017, 12:05 AM
PPD: Whoa! Ironically I made the previous post font greater than I expected. Sorry about that. Could the moderators fix that (and erase this post if they feel it apropiated)?

Thank you.

thebomblu
06-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Completely agree with you here!

I'm a graphic designer and I design my fair share of UX/UIs, and pointsize is always an issue - i'm going to tackle this dilemma from a consumer point of view, keeping design form/function principles in mind.

There's a tendency for games to take two extremes when it comes to UI overlays in game, on one end you've got games like The Witcher 3 and Watch_Dogs_2 that display quite a bit on your screen, sometimes to the point where the UI covers important parts of your screen. (NOTE: Watch_Dogs_2 had a buggy in-game UI at launch, i couldnt see 20% of the mobile, map, etc that were close to the edge of my screen - hopefully this doesn't happen again :p) On the other hand there are games like Gears of War that show next to nothing. Ironically, all these games also include what i like to call the 'deteciive' mode that kill the game graphics to simply highlight things you should pick up / interact with.

In terms of text sizes, I think BGE2 should allow point size choice to be up to the end users, at least give a small/medium/large option. I also think they should chose what to display on the screens wisely as to avoid having an overkill of info on screen. Less is more, maybe having a 'live/intelligent/smart' system that only shows the important information.

Oh, and please, no detective mode... :rolleyes:

Legion-495
06-28-2017, 07:18 PM
Well since it's about UI they could just make sliders for the texts or the "small/medium/large option" as pointed out.

I want to furthermore also point out that we should be able to limit UI with width and heigh independently(well at least as much as possible).
This goes for people that use multiple screens. Causes streched UI or the UI only works in a certain aspect ratio and therefor is pretty useless to adjust^^(Probably made for TVs?).

Still waiting for the game.^^ I wonder if the demo will even start on my computer once its out xD(my luck)

mike.space
06-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Thank you thebomblu and Legion-495. It's great to see I'm not alone with this. Even if I not disagree with a "highlight mode" per se if it's done like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution (and as long as it stays optional), the rule is that it's misused... well, we'll see what they have in mind : )

But yes. A point size measures will allow to play in different screen sizes, sliders to change that size would be great, and at least allowing changing between predetermined sizes would be highly appreciated and a great improvement.

I would add to Legion's comment that is important take into account not only different screen configurations, but the multiple ways to use a screen too. Some PC players use it from a sofa with a TV, others from a chair in front of a monitor. Different people have different screens and the distance to the place they are varies even on consoles. A lot.

Maybe an general UI thread would be fine... and yes, stretching the UI wrongly have terrible consecuences.

bitebug2003
06-30-2017, 05:29 PM
I hate current gen subtitles and font sizes/types

*looks at Mass Effect Andromeda - all the text (UI, loading screens, journal/codex entries) in that game is tiny, and on top of that it some of it blends into the background.
The Order 1886, FFXV and several others all have tiny font sizes.

mike.space the font size in your post is fine - I actually prefer it to the default size :)

IRISNetwork
07-01-2017, 02:45 PM
PPD: Whoa! Ironically I made the previous post font greater than I expected. Sorry about that. Could the moderators fix that (and erase this post if they feel it apropiated)?

Thank you.

That's hilarious, if I were the mods I'd keep it for the irony factor alone :')

Personally, I prefer my font sizes to be small when it comes to subtitles (obviously big enough to read still however!), I just don't like it when these big clunky fonts are in my face whilst i'm trying to focus on the game.

Although I totally see where some people mind find smaller fonts harder to read, and i'm sure it can be a problem, I think the solution to this, as other have said, is to have small/medium/big options, and let the player choose :)

Legion-495
07-01-2017, 04:25 PM
I hate current gen subtitles and font sizes/types

*looks at Mass Effect Andromeda - all the text (UI, loading screens, journal/codex entries) in that game is tiny, and on top of that it some of it blends into the background.

I actually totally forgot MassEffect:A. It is horror with that tiny UI.
You would think they just change it... aaaand now it's discontinued. BioWare disappointed me heavy there.
No wonder people have fear from new games(Companies that want cash, hype train+PR do the rest). Standards are falling down.

Here speaks the niveau. We sink! I repeat! We sink!

I tell you guys. If this game manages to start in borderless windows in the middlescreen on my 5760x1080 triple screen or lets me resize the window to a own resolution then I doubt that there are issues with the UI to be seen. Games that are that well made on a technical level tend to have very good UI in most cases. And I haven't seen that many of those.

Well I think since it got mentioned MAYBE some devs see it too?^^ Otherwise let us report that as flaw ;)