PDA

View Full Version : One week newb impression and gear questions!

DaLast_Samurai
06-26-2017, 03:40 AM
Hi guys,

SEMI-long post here.
Broken up nicely, so not that long :p
Haha, so read and help, or bug off, lol.

So this is my first post, after playing this game for almost a week
I never even heard of this game while it was in beta, a friend at work turned me on to this.

I've been checking in a bit here learning, while I've been learning on the game as well.
And with any game, and especially any forum, you always see a good amount of frustration and some who have a love / hate thing going on with the game, lol.

As a one week newb here, I AM IN LOVE.
This game was like instant cocaine the moment I logged in.
For an older guy like me (37), who hasn't been addicted to a video game like this in a VERY LONG TIME (freaking Socom back on PS2 man), I'm just over the moon with this so far, and it's only gotten more addicting the more I've learned.

My friend who turned me onto it, who has both XBOX ONE and PS4, says the PS4 servers we play on has far less troubles, so I'm glad I lucked out on that note.

This game feels like Socom with Melee weapons in place of guns.
When Call of Duty replaced Socom as the main console shooter, I lost interest after trying that garbage a handful of times.
First person is always garbage.

I may even have to abandon PlayStation consoles after undying loyalty since the original console for the XBOX Scorpio upon release.
That does sound mad crazy.

So I'm excited, and have figured out a lot so far.
But I still have a lot to learn, and have some gear questions I hope you guys can help me out with.

So I dropped some dough for Champion Status and am ranking up fast.
I got all blue gear already, and I know purple is next.

So, should I upgrade my blue gear while I wait for purple items?
It feels like a Catch 22 to me.
Being, I feel like I have to save my Salvage to upgrade all my Purple gear to Gold, from what I've read.
But at the same time, I feel like I'm shorting myself in competition by not having my blue gear upgraded.

I am only concerned with one Hero, Orochi.
I unlocked him before I even played the game, with the middle bundle purchase option of the game.

I have always loved Samurai history and Katana Swords, I even have one in real life.
And you can see I even made an account name dedicated to this game.

I don't care if some veterans here think he is a weak Hero, as I've been playing non-stop and learning how to use him because an agile Samurai with a Katana will always be my favorite character.

And for a one week newb, I've been playing constantly and learning how to use him so much.
Dodging is his best defense as a reflex defender, he can't block or parry very reliably.
Which is the one thing I wish I could do more of, cause Parry blocks are so cool, useful, and I know already the best defense to offense move in the game.

Hopefully I will get a more agile Samurai wielding a katana of a different class on here one day maybe for that.

So the gear upgrade question is my main question, bearing in mind I'm only concerned with one Hero for a very long time here.
Once he is all maxed out, then maybe I will see who I would like to start on after.

I've got 3,593 Salvage and 32,090 Steel after purchasing a steel pack and spending almost half on upgrading my characters effects, emotes, and stuff.
I read somewhere upgrading all the purple gear to gold cost a little under 16,000 Salvage and I forgot the Steel, which is much easier anyway.

Another question on gear.
I noticed if I change the look of a gear, at least one time it I noticed it looked like, it boosted the stats just slightly.
Would it be wise when you have all purple gear to change the look as much as possible, then finally changing the look to what you want, and ending with upgrading to gold?

And I've also noticed, that by picking my gear the way I have right now...
All my blue gear has ALL positive stats.
It seems there is one piece of gear for every spot that has two or three positive stats, and a zero if the former.

Is that true for purple gear as well?
Or did I manage to influence it that way by changing looks and morphing stats a little?

I would really appreciate a good explanation on how this stuff works, as I can't find this explained well here or online anywhere.

Oh, and I know what all the gear stats mean from the guide on here.
But on the battle field, I don't know what all of the boosts mean.

I know the obvious ones, like a shield is more defense and what not.
Is there a list for that on here anywhere?
Or does anyone know all of them off the top of their head?

Well, that's pretty much all I'm wondering mainly, is that and the gear stuff.
I've done a lot of reading up and practicing already.
Went through all the tutorials first, practiced all my moves a ton before coming online.
Read up a ton, then practiced online a lot, getting used to fighting in crowds and having to be aware of the environment and how to use my character.

I also read about the rough start and boycott this game had going on before, I guess I started at the perfect time, cause I am just thrilled with it.

Thanks for those who read, and more for those who help me with my gear questions.
I hope this game grows and prospers.

I read it's only being upgraded to 45 fps and up-scaled 1080p for XBOX Scorpio.
Wish it was the full 4k 60 fps.

Just a wish to the developers here too.
If you offer account transfers with progress to Scorpio, could you please somehow work it so PS4 users can cross over too?
Lol, I want to play this game to the fullest.

Thanks everyone.

kweassa1
06-26-2017, 04:17 AM
First, welcome to FH.

Seeing your age, I'm guessing you're already familiar with what the PvP world is like since the "old times", so I'll just warn you lightly to brace yourself for the haters tha will be coming on board this thread soon, with all their doom prophecies of how you'll be hating this game in 1 week, you'll be uninstalling and hating UBI for it, you've wasted money, the game's broken, blah blah blah blah [i]ad infinititum[i]... just let the idiots and their ramblings enter through one end of your ear, and then directly exit through the other.

That being said, to answer some of your questions...

So I dropped some dough for Champion Status and am ranking up fast.
I got all blue gear already, and I know purple is next.

So, should I upgrade my blue gear while I wait for purple items?
It feels like a Catch 22 to me.

Being, I feel like I have to save my Salvage to upgrade all my Purple gear to Gold, from what I've read.
But at the same time, I feel like I'm shorting myself in competition by not having my blue gear upgraded.

This depends on what your playing style is.

Are you spending lots of time with a certain class in mind to level them up quickly? Or are you just experimenting through different classes and taking your time with it? If its the former, the time you'll be spending on individual classes will be relatively short, and it won't really be worthwhile to level up gear that you'll be passing through quickly. If you're the latter, then improving some key items over the course of your longer playtime could be helpful in improving quality-of-life for your gaming.

For example, I play dominion the most, so under my school of thought among the 6 pieces of items the arm piece, chest piece, and the weapon piece 3 is the most important, because respectively they have (1) stamina regen / exhaust recovery, (2) revenge mode defense, (3) revenge gain. So I will upgrade usually these 3 items in any tier of item I use, and leave the rest of the items to the element of chance.

I am only concerned with one Hero, Orochi.
I unlocked him before I even played the game, with the middle bundle purchase option of the game.

I have always loved samurai history and Katana Swords, I even have one in real life.
And you can see I even made an account name dedicated to this game.

I don't care if some veterans here think he is a weak Hero, as I've been playing non-stop and learning how to use him because an agile Samurai with a Katana will always be my favorite character.

And for a one week newb, I've been playing constantly and learning how to use him so much.
Dodging is his best defense as a reflex defender, he can't block or parry very reliably.
Which is the one thing I wish I could do more of, cause Parry blocks are so cool, useful, and I know already the best defense to offense move in the game.

Hopefully I will get a more agile Samurai wielding a katana of a different class on here one day maybe for that.

I'd advise you to start with other classes, and then move on to assassin classes, for a lot of reasons and not all of them being the "class balance" thing.

IMO starting out with assassins "skews" a lot of the basic properties one should be learning with FH. I'd rather recommend a solid vanguard or heavy class so you could learn the importance of fighting with your teammates, estimating enemy movement and going to defend points/zones pre-emptively, and also the limitations of the lone fighter that may meet multiple opponents, so you learn to avoid/prevent that from happening -- since vanguards and heavies can rarely just run straight away from such situations, these players need to learn to be vigilant about what happens around them.

Another question on gear.
I noticed if I change the look of a gear, at least one time it I noticed it looked like, it boosted the stats just slightly.
Would it be wise when you have all purple gear to change the look as much as possible, then finally changing the look to what you want, and ending with upgrading to gold?

Changing the looks does not effect stats at all. If you have A stat on X gear, if you switch the look to Z gear the stat is still A.

And I've also noticed, that by picking my gear the way I have right now...
All my blue gear has ALL positive stats.
It seems there is one piece of gear for every spot that has two or three positive stats, and a zero if the former.

Is that true for purple gear as well?
Or did I manage to influence it that way by changing looks and morphing stats a little?

Please refer to the following link for more details on gear:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wwr17AtTDFU3BZY_81axLVMKdHdNZuV0wGOb589VKgc/edit#gid=363545151

Your base assessment is correct. All gears have 1 "strong" primary stat, 1 "medium" secondary stat, and 1 "weak" stat. The "intensity" of each stat grows higher with gear tier, so by the time you reach purple or yellow gear, the "weak" stat values go negative. An alternate option is gear with all 3 stats positive, but at a weak level.

Have fun.

DaLast_Samurai
06-26-2017, 04:35 AM
kweassa1...

Wow thanks for all the perfect advice on every section right away!

After a week of practice and research, you answered pretty much all my final wonderings.

And don't worry about me starting with an Assasin.
I get how control points and team work are important.

And I'm not your average newb.
I play constantly and research, as you can tell.
I'm pretty sure if you pit me against just about anyone else who has played for 5 days, they'd be clueless compared to me, lol.
I'm getting a great feel for it already.

Yeah, been gaming since Socom back on PS2.
Since the dawn of console gaming, I have yet to have seen a game that didn't have it's glitch issues, exploiters, modders, hackers and cheaters online.

Do we wish it was a perfect world where this was not ALWAYS THE CASE... of course.
But welcome to the real world.

Trust guys, at least on PS4, for a game that has been out as shortly as this, it's in about as good as shape as a game at this stage can be.

Add yep, every forum is usually.... mostly a wasteland of everyone moaning and crying for instant perfection of all problems.
Some will be solved, new ones will come, and it will always be frustrating.

Again, welcome to the real world.

Thanks a ton for the help man.

So yeah, as I just want to max out Orochi first like I said, then from your advice, I will save all my Salvage to upgrade my purple to gold soon as I can.

Oh,, one thing you missed.
Do you know what all the in game boost portal symbols are and mean off the top of your head?

DaLast_Samurai
06-26-2017, 04:43 AM
And I just checked out that link in your reply.

FREAKING EPIC, lol.

Good God, perfect, thanks.

DaLast_Samurai
06-26-2017, 06:56 AM
So yeah, I'd say I'm doing way better than almost anyone on their 5th day when I'm already a Prestige 2 rep and rocked a whole night of k/d ratios around 10-2 give or take in Dominion mode.

As far as understanding how to utilize the the mode, how's this for example?

My favorite "smart" kill tonight was when I was clearing out the middle zone soldiers so when the Heroes come to contest, it's harder for them obviously.
I sliced up the first enemy hero with dodging light attacks down to his last breath, but then a second enemy came to help him...

So I rolled back into my soldiers for cover, flanked all the way around to the other side...

They didn't want to chase me through my soldiers, so they turned back to see if anyone they could fight was behind them.

I came zooming around the other side to zero in on the one with no life left, and then proceeded to take down the other one 1v1.

Lol, I get how it works bro, plus you forget in my original post.

I play with my work friend who recommended the game to me, who has been playing it quite longer.

That_guy44
06-26-2017, 07:03 AM
I wouldn't put resources into blue gear. The time between blue and purple is too short imo. You will start to get a handful of purple gear in rep 3. After rep 4, you will most get purple gear. You won't regularly get gold gear until rep 7, so I usually just upgrade my purple in the mean time.

Gray360UK
06-26-2017, 12:05 PM
I can't add a lot to what Kweassa, said, he pretty much nailed it, good job that man :)

I can add that my personal preference when it comes to upgrading gear is not to upgrade blue at all. Purple I only upgrde the one or two no brainer items where you pretty much have nothing to lose when upgrading them. The Attack stat item with Attack / Execution Health Regen / Revive Speed is an example (to me at least, maxing Attack and not caring about Revive Speed is a no brainer, sorry dead people).

You will find as you level and these items drop, you will end up getting better versions at the end of matches anyway. You'll be wearing a level 19 chest and get a level 21 chest drop. I once spent about 10,000 Steel trying to get the exact chest with the exact stats I wanted for my Warden, and in the very next Dominion match it dropped for free. That was a fun moment ;)

In the end you know anything you do to improve the lower level gear is going to be for nothing when you move to the next tier.

The change from blue to purple to gold doesn't take long. You'll probably notice that you already feel significantly more powerful when you move from grey to blue, blue to purple and so on. Some people say gear stats don't make much difference but I don't believe it for a second. The difference Stamina Cost Reduction and Exhaustion Recovery make are game changing in my experience, and once your Attack stat is 3 times what it used to be you will notice how hard you are hitting.

As for the boost symbols:

Sheild - Yellow health shield over your health bar that takes blows first before you actual health is reduced
Sword - Increased attack damage
Boots - Speed boost
Stars - Unlocks your feats, more feats depending on the number of stars, temporary unlock, so use them quickly
Cross - Health Regen

I think that's all of them. Hope that helps :)

DaLast_Samurai
06-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Awesome, helps as well.

You guys answered everything left I was wondering, thanks.

UbiJurassic
06-27-2017, 01:38 AM
Welcome to the For Honor DaLast_Samurai! And thanks for helping him out Kweassa and Gray! :)

How you upgrade equipment is a personal choice. Some players like to retain their resources for upgrading until they get the higher level gear drops. The stat gain for upgrading lower level gear is minimal, but if you would like to have the highest attainable stats possible, feel free to upgrade. Personally, I'd grind until you hit purple/orange gear drops.

Changing the look does not increase your gear stats. it is purely a cosmetic choice. Only leveling the gear will increase its stats.

The boosts in multiplayer are as follows:
Swords - Attack Damage increase.
Boots - Movement speed increase.
Shield - Second Health bar. (Once depleted by enemy attacks, you will take damage as you would normally)
Cross - Restores missing health.
Stars - Temporary Feat Unlocks

shawnthompson99
06-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Please refer to the following link for more details on gear:

[u][URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wwr17AtTDFU3BZY_81axLVMKdHdNZuV0wGOb589VKgc/edit#gid

This is really awesome. Is there by chance one for ps4 with all updated info, please? Thank you.