PDA

View Full Version : Non-Object Padlock Idea

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 04:31 PM
No, I don't care about any of your opinions on padlock.

How about an added view feature that simply locks your "view" from out the cockpit on designation and "unlocks" your view of this spot in virtual space when either you reach view limits (cloud, or "physical" limits), or when you undesignate?

Examples:

Spot on Ground
Spot in air
Start of Runway Threshold
Convoy on ground
Tower on Ground

Don't link it to an object, per se (although more features here would be appreciated); just a "spot" out in space.

This could help navigate, help with entering a landing pattern, etc.

Also, add a feature for "view presets"

Save 3 slots of preset views.

Included in these view presets are FOV settings as well.

You could lock your view right on your compass, save it, and recall it at a keypress.

You could lock your view to 2 o'clock high, set a wide FOV, and save/recall it at a(nother) keypress.

This would help with instrument scans, especially on engine heat, compass, fuel, etc. And especially those "hard to find" POV Hat views.

Just move the mouse to where you want to view, set your FOV, and assign that view to one of the "n" number of slots that could be allocated.

Good idea?

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 04:31 PM
No, I don't care about any of your opinions on padlock.

How about an added view feature that simply locks your "view" from out the cockpit on designation and "unlocks" your view of this spot in virtual space when either you reach view limits (cloud, or "physical" limits), or when you undesignate?

Examples:

Spot on Ground
Spot in air
Start of Runway Threshold
Convoy on ground
Tower on Ground

Don't link it to an object, per se (although more features here would be appreciated); just a "spot" out in space.

This could help navigate, help with entering a landing pattern, etc.

Also, add a feature for "view presets"

Save 3 slots of preset views.

Included in these view presets are FOV settings as well.

You could lock your view right on your compass, save it, and recall it at a keypress.

You could lock your view to 2 o'clock high, set a wide FOV, and save/recall it at a(nother) keypress.

This would help with instrument scans, especially on engine heat, compass, fuel, etc. And especially those "hard to find" POV Hat views.

Just move the mouse to where you want to view, set your FOV, and assign that view to one of the "n" number of slots that could be allocated.

Good idea?

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Excellent idea! I use padlock, only because real pilots can actually turn their head to follow a target, and using the hat to turn is slow and cumbersome. I realize that padlocking in FB can be considered a 'cheat' because it'll let you follow an enemy plane into the clouds, down low where his camo oughta help him get lost, and other similar situations. Unfortunately, there's no alternative. If your idea was implemented, maybe we could have a padlock that everyone could agree on?

Tim Schuster
8MXS Inspection Section
Kunsan AB, Korea

-Defend the Dock!
-Accept Follow-on Shifts!
-Take the Fight Upstairs!

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 07:06 PM
I especially like the idea about being able to padlock into a spot on ground. Helps on land/attack run prepping..

However, since TrackIR has been invented, and is in mass use, the padlock is getting pretty obsolete. I, for one, intend to save some for the TIR system. Perhaps even 3D glasses to suit it up..

Next time we meet, I'll be a few doors away from Nirvana http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Celorfie

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 02:42 AM
I use the mouse to move the pilot head around, and it's quite good, you can get lost quite often with this little rodant