PDA

View Full Version : Excluding Console from Testing is unacceptable

SirCorrino
06-22-2017, 05:48 PM
As they just said on the stream the Public Test is ONLY available to PC players. This is completely unacceptable. I don't care if we have to play it on PC as well, but console players NEED to have access to it as well.

Blasto95
06-22-2017, 07:21 PM
This was said about a month ago during the live stream releasing season 2 I believe.

Please show me one game that has a Test server and isnt some early access or game preview BS.
They don't

Ulrichvonbek111
06-22-2017, 07:29 PM
What platform has the biggest population and basically keeps the game alive,,you know,,we know.
A bit more respect due,,please.

Antonioj26
06-22-2017, 07:31 PM
This was said about a month ago during the live stream releasing season 2 I believe.

Please show me one game that has a Test server and isnt some early access or game preview BS.
They don't

Overwatch, but just like for honor they don't do test servers on console either.

Blasto95
06-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Overwatch, but just like for honor they don't do test servers on console either.

Thats what Im saying. For whatever reason, Test servers do not exist on console.

I think actually Paladins might have one, but thats just for test maps. It likely acts as just a separate game mode testing those maps and not as an actual test server which is practically an entirely separate game.

Blasto95
06-22-2017, 07:34 PM
What platform has the biggest population and basically keeps the game alive,,you know,,we know.
A bit more respect due,,please.

I play on console, Id love for there to be a test server...

It's not going to happen.

SirCorrino
06-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Thats what Im saying. For whatever reason, Test servers do not exist on console.

I think actually Paladins might have one, but thats just for test maps. It likely acts as just a separate game mode testing those maps and not as an actual test server which is practically an entirely separate game.

I'm not asking for a console test server, I'm asking for us to have access to the PC test server via the regular PC test client.

Antonioj26
06-22-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm not asking for a console test server, I'm asking for us to have access to the PC test server via the regular PC test client.

I think that would be reasonable.

Blasto95
06-22-2017, 07:49 PM

That make's much more sense! And I completely agree. No reason Console users should not have access to a game they purchased. Only issue, how do they determine you own a copy of For Honor on console to use the PC test server? I could see Microsoft and Xbox figuring this out as they currently sort of do this with games like Gears of War allowing you to play on Xbox and PC. PS4 might be a different story.

SirCorrino
06-22-2017, 07:54 PM
That make's much more sense! And I completely agree. No reason Console users should not have access to a game they purchased. Only issue, how do they determine you own a copy of For Honor on console to use the PC test server? I could see Microsoft and Xbox figuring this out as they currently sort of do this with games like Gears of War allowing you to play on Xbox and PC. PS4 might be a different story.

It's all tied to our uPlay account, so the Devs have an easy way of figuring it out.

Antonioj26
06-22-2017, 07:59 PM

Even if was just someone cheating their way into the test server would that really be the worst thing in the world? How many people would even do it when the game already has a shrinking playerbase and is kind of a niche market in the first place? It could only help in getting more data and also it may sway a few people to buy the actual game. It's not like the test servers are going to be around forever so them getting to play the game for a few days could just be looked at as a f2p weekend or something. May also bring back some of the people who wanted to see change.

Blasto95
06-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Even if was just someone cheating their way into the test server would that really be the worst thing in the world? How many people would even do it when the game already has a shrinking playerbase and is kind of a niche market in the first place? It could only help in getting more data and also it may sway a few people to buy the actual game. It's not like the test servers are going to be around forever so them getting to play the game for a few days could just be looked at as a f2p weekend or something. May also bring back some of the people who wanted to see change.

A big deal to us? No not at all. I wouldnt even care if they opened it up free to the entire public and just limited a bunch of stuff that you could do. Like a trial version.

But to Ubisoft? That would be fixed quicker than the One Hit Kill Warden. Their logic would be, that's one less person that's playing our game and not paying us.

Also is it sad that the biggest issue we had (OHKWarden) took like 4-5 days to fix? Thta is the quickest I think they've patched anything.

Antonioj26
06-22-2017, 08:35 PM
A big deal to us? No not at all. I wouldnt even care if they opened it up free to the entire public and just limited a bunch of stuff that you could do. Like a trial version.

But to Ubisoft? That would be fixed quicker than the One Hit Kill Warden. Their logic would be, that's one less person that's playing our game and not paying us.

Also is it sad that the biggest issue we had (OHKWarden) took like 4-5 days to fix? Thta is the quickest I think they've patched anything.

Yeah I wish they would see that it could only help by making it open to the public.

Capoupacap
06-22-2017, 09:31 PM
it has always been the case in public test server with ubisoft. It doesn't feel good, and i'm a xbox player, but it's understandable

UbiNoty
06-23-2017, 12:01 AM
I will bring up the issue to the team.
I can wholly understand that you as a console player also want to give your input on the PTR, but we probably chose to go with PC only in order to have a more controlled test environment.
We can be relatively sure that most PC FH owners have rigs with the right equipment and setup to properly run FH. With console players, we can't necessarily make that guarantee - if a portion of console players try to run the PTR on their laptop and end up crashing because they don't meet the proper specs then that not only muddles up our own data, but it spoils your perception as a tester as well.

This is just my thoughts on as to why this decision was made.

SirCorrino
06-23-2017, 07:45 AM
I will bring up the issue to the team.
I can wholly understand that you as a console player also want to give your input on the PTR, but we probably chose to go with PC only in order to have a more controlled test environment.
We can be relatively sure that most PC FH owners have rigs with the right equipment and setup to properly run FH. With console players, we can't necessarily make that guarantee - if a portion of console players try to run the PTR on their laptop and end up crashing because they don't meet the proper specs then that not only muddles up our own data, but it spoils your perception as a tester as well.

This is just my thoughts on as to why this decision was made.

I can see why that might be a factor, but surely that could be worked around by enforcing minimum specs for the client to launch? By not allowing console players to join the test you are limiting the amount of feedback to a small section of what is by all account the least populated platform. I would love to help test new features for the game, but I'm not going to rebuy it for PC to do so.

Firewall_ap
06-23-2017, 08:00 AM
I hope you guys realize there is no test server. Ubisoft would have to spend extra money operating a server if that was the case. And we all know that wont happen.

Firewall_ap
06-23-2017, 08:11 AM
I honestly hope your joking Ubinoty.... Consoles have the only 100% reliable system specs. Why? because they are all the same... Be honest for once in your life. It takes more effort to port over a PTR build to consoles, when you can skip that step and release it to pc. Ubisoft has had months to fix this game, and has yet to. I honestly cant see how your executives believe player participation statistics from your last few games isn't highlighting a massive issue within you company its self. Here is a radical idea... put more effort into and updating your games, and you will be able to make more money... because the player base will not disappear in 3 months... Just think about how many more micro transactions you could have got!

Draghmar
06-23-2017, 08:40 AM
I honestly hope your joking Ubinoty.... Consoles have the only 100% reliable system specs. Why? because they are all the same... Be honest for once in your life. It takes more effort to port over a PTR build to consoles, when you can skip that step and release it to pc. Ubisoft has had months to fix this game, and has yet to. I honestly cant see how your executives believe player participation statistics from your last few games isn't highlighting a massive issue within you company its self. Here is a radical idea... put more effort into and updating your games, and you will be able to make more money... because the player base will not disappear in 3 months... Just think about how many more micro transactions you could have got!
He said about giving access to the test build on PC for players who have console copy of the game.
And the real issue here is probably because of the way Sony and Microsoft works in terms of what can be distributed on their platforms - it just cost money to drop anything there. So it would be overkill to do that only for the test server that would be probably constantly patched, which is problem on console.

Firewall_ap
06-23-2017, 09:15 AM
There Is no test server... how hard is that to understand? For Honor is built on aged P2P network architecture. They release Pre Test Release Builds. A server would cost money... money the Guillemot Family isn't willing to invest because they are to busy swallowing every once of profit Ubisoft makes with it's extremely horrendous business practices.

Draghmar
06-23-2017, 09:36 AM
I didn't said anything about server. I told about build. Which is a copy of a game, the new branch as they said with new/different featues. And that new build have to go through the whole process of certification and things like that in order to release it on consoles. And it's both time and money consuming. And every patch would have to go the same route as well so it would be hard to make some hotfixes.

Kaijudub
06-23-2017, 10:02 AM
This all feels like de ja vu tbh.

Almost the exact same things that are plaguing this game, plagued R6, plagued the division, and plagued wildlands.

3 of those titles by the same developer all with no time allowed to fix bugs post release. It's like these guys absolutely believe that their product is finished and wont need work once released. As soon as it's released the crew get put onto their next project and a skeleton crew is left to continue the plan ignoring the cries from the public because they just don't have the man power. After the year 2 insult with the division I can't really see anything getting better with this game.

It's kinda sad.

I would've thought after the outcry for a console pts during the division and the fact the console is now the only format playing that game might have made you guys understand that PC isn't actually the master race it's cracked up to be. Stuff like this is a real kick in the nuts to us console heads.

Really hope the opinions of 58 people are good enough. Kappa.

Draghmar
06-23-2017, 10:19 AM
After the year 2 insult with the division I can't really see anything getting better with this game.
After seeing your post I talked with my friend who plays a lot on The Division PC and he says that the game have improved quite much. :P

Kaijudub
06-23-2017, 10:26 AM
After seeing your post I talked with my friend who plays a lot on The Division PC and he says that the game have improved quite much. :P

He's only telling you that so you'll play it with him.

It really hasn't.

DeLatv
06-23-2017, 10:33 AM
One does not simply add test server to consoles... Say thanks to your Microsoft overlords...

Firewall_ap
06-23-2017, 10:49 AM
This isn't rocket science... there has never been test servers. You do not run test servers on a p2p network architecture. How hard is that to understand? Ubisoft chose to save money and run a p2p netcode in For Honor vs spending a little extra for dedicated servers. Dominion should have had dedicated servers. Duels could in theory run on a p2p system, but would still run into issues. Ubisoft has a history of bad net coding. Uplay is a joke, and there entire system outside of Uplay is plagued with errors, disconnects, and d syncs. Ubisoft never backed its games after l release. They have a huge history of neglecting their own content. I believe their business model is based strictly on initial release vs sustained income. If you want quality games from Ubisoft please do not hold your breath.

Rikuto01.tv
06-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Sony and Microsoft do not like it when untested code goes onto consoles which are not devkits.

This isn't really an ubisoft issue as much as you want to believe it is.

Kaijudub
06-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Sony and Microsoft do not like it when untested code goes onto consoles which are not devkits.

And yet the finished game made it to the store....

#irony

Rikuto01.tv
06-23-2017, 12:25 PM
And yet the finished game made it to the store....

#irony

The only irony is that you could take this kind of cynical quote and put it into pretty much any modern video games forum and there would be a lot of resonance with it.

Thus, if nothing is ever completed, everything must be completed.

Aarpian
06-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Leaving console from testing is unacceptable
No it's not

SirCorrino
06-23-2017, 12:32 PM

I feel like you didn't read more than the first post.

Draghmar
06-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Thus, if nothing is ever completed, everything must be completed.
This logic doesn't make sense. If you have goal of 100% and never get to it then even if there's nothing that achieve 100% it doesn't mean that they are 100%.

DrExtrem
06-23-2017, 03:14 PM

This is only half true.

Off course Microsoft and Sony don't publish untested software on their platforms. That's the reason every single release needs to be certified first.

But they would not have a problem releasing test servers. Alphas and betas are in fact nothing else - yet, we can play them. Why can we get alphas and betas but no test versions? Because uploading and maintaining them costs money, brain and time. IIRC, both Sony and Microsoft lever fees for their certifications. Alphas and betas cost the devs said recourses but they expect a payoff from selling the game after the tests. Especially betas are only stress tests and lesser demos.

Test servers cost resources but will not generate new sells. They should generate data and feedback but let's face it - if a feedback feature is not implemented in the test client, most console players will not provide feedback.

SirCorrino
06-27-2017, 07:08 PM
So now that the preload is up, us console players are still **** out of luck it seems. This is extremely disappointing.

ViciousOphidian
06-27-2017, 07:33 PM
So now that the preload is up, us console players are still **** out of luck it seems. This is extremely disappointing.

http://i.imgur.com/fh1ICSc.png

SirCorrino
06-27-2017, 08:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fh1ICSc.png

Nice, but as a PS4 player I don't have access to that.

Oupyz
06-27-2017, 09:30 PM
I think its pretty acceptable giving i havent heard of any publisher doing console ptr test , i do believe the situation is complex and might cost resources and money , we will keep u guys updated at the progress

Long licmve za master race 😎😎😎

RatedChaotic
06-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Do I think the consoles should be included in testing? Yes because some changes effect pc and consoles differently.
Do I think we need a PTS? No because I dont spend money to test games. I spend money to play them. Its not my job.

Its like I'm doing the work that should've already been done for free. I'm not a Guinea Pig. I'm a consumer. Felt the same when I was a pc gamer aswell. You dont progress and you just do the work for a company for free with no heatlh benefits. Screw that. Its cheaper for them to have us do it. My 2 cents.

SirCorrino
06-27-2017, 09:38 PM
I think its pretty acceptable giving i havent heard of any publisher doing console ptr test , i do believe the situation is complex and might cost resources and money , we will keep u guys updated at the progress

Long licmve za master race ������

You didn't read all my posts here. I'm asking for access to the PC test client for console players as well if they don't want to make a separate console test client.