PDA

View Full Version : So when is Unity non canon?

joshoolhorst
06-21-2017, 01:04 PM
The game did hardly do anything good for this Universe anyway and if I had skipped it I wouldn't miss much.
The story is garbage FACT I can't believe it was allowed to exist.
Arno Victor Dorian is the worst character I have ever seen in my gaming expierence beside the characters that are just ment to be evil.

joshoolhorst
06-21-2017, 01:06 PM
How do I edit my post and comments?

Locopells
06-21-2017, 06:43 PM
+ Button at bottom left, next to 'Reply'

joshoolhorst
06-21-2017, 07:16 PM
thanks

cawatrooper9
06-21-2017, 09:23 PM
If the game didn't do much to advance the story, why bother decanonizing it then?

joshoolhorst
06-22-2017, 07:20 PM
If the game didn't do much to advance the story, why bother decanonizing it then?

It made the Assassin's look stupid, Arno is garbage, historical setting wasted, the Brotherhood use drugs to let Arno join them. plot holes and whatever

DSD27
06-23-2017, 02:20 PM
I liked Unity more than Syndicate. The story was engaging and emotional and I cared more for the characters. Incredibly beautiful and detailed revolutionary France.
Multiplayer was fun to play for the first time for me.

Since Black Flag neither of the AC games did much to advance in the big story.

cawatrooper9
06-23-2017, 10:04 PM
It made the Assassin's look stupid, Arno is garbage, historical setting wasted, the Brotherhood use drugs to let Arno join them. plot holes and whatever

I liked Unity more than Syndicate. The story was engaging and emotional and I cared more for the characters. Incredibly beautiful and detailed revolutionary France.
Multiplayer was fun to play for the first time for me.

Since Black Flag neither of the AC games did much to advance in the big story.

Yeah, tough break not liking Arno, josh. I don't think he's one of the most beloved characters, nor do I think Unity is the most beloved game by a longshot- but to decanonize something is pretty drastic. I really don't think we can expect that.

DSD27
06-23-2017, 10:57 PM
If by a ridiculus chance, any AC game would to be decanonized, it could only be AC III. It is considered the weaker AC game by the majority of people. Connor was the most rude, empty, unemotional and boring character in the series. All the game felt like that great AC pleasure of playing was missing. I just played it for the Desmond's (modern world) story, all the traditional inside the Animus part was a real pane, unlike Unity that was one of my favorites. But all that is still very far from that drastic idea. :)

strigoi1958
06-24-2017, 12:02 AM
I like all the ac games for different reasons and each has things of which I am not overly fond. So I would not like to see any decanonized. I would be happy to consider each as an alternative memory rather than something that just doesn't belong.

Draculia336
06-28-2017, 02:22 AM
No meu vídeo game, (PS4) comprei esse jogo por mídia digital, nisso quando iniciei o jogo estava tudo normal. Mas quando chegou na missão, (alta sociedade) mostrou, um mensagem dizendo, "Essa missão só poderá ser iniciada com o jogo completo". Não comprei a versão demo e sim a versão completa mais esta, sempre aparecendo isso, já tentei baixar novamente, reiniciar. Alguém pode me dar uma ajuda sobre isso.

strigoi1958
06-28-2017, 01:27 PM
You should check your download progress. Unity can be played before the game has fully downloaded. But it must be completely downloaded before you can go any further.

cawatrooper9
06-28-2017, 02:28 PM
I like all the ac games for different reasons and each has things of which I am not overly fond. So I would not like to see any decanonized. I would be happy to consider each as an alternative memory rather than something that just doesn't belong.

Totally agreed. Things don't get decanonized simply because some people don't like them.

Look at Star Wars, for instance. The Legends stuff that got decanonized a few years ago... a lot of that stuff was really popular. Some of it, like the Thrawn books and the KOTOR games were far more positively received than the prequel movies. But, as we know, the prequel movies (and even that silly The Clone Wars film from 2008) are still canon, while all of Legends has been wiped out.

It's not because the prequel movies were better than the Legends stuff. It's because:

1) The films were a bigger investment than the books/ games of Legends
and
2) The prequel films were less problematic in regards to moving forward with the series. The Thrawn books could've directly influenced how The Force Awakens played out. The prequel films are less intrusive.

Think in Assassins Creed itself. The modern day segments of the Aquilus comics are decanonized. The comics were relatively positively received- the reason they were decanonized is because they directly conflicted with what was in the more important games' MD. So, they had to go. Not because a handful of people didn't like them.

strigoi1958
06-28-2017, 07:32 PM
@Cawatrooper9

That is a perfect example ... and one I will borrow and quote every time I debate canon matters. :)

ze_topazio
06-29-2017, 12:38 AM
The Star Wars expanded Universe was a mess made up of hundreds of stories, it was borderline impossible to keep track of everything, Lucas himself allowed them to exist but he always said that if necessary they would be all decanonized, which Disney did as soon as they bought the franchise, it would have been impossible to make the new trilogy if the former expanded universe had remained canon.

cawatrooper9
06-29-2017, 02:38 PM
The Star Wars expanded Universe was a mess made up of hundreds of stories, it was borderline impossible to keep track of everything, Lucas himself allowed them to exist but he always said that if necessary they would be all decanonized, which Disney did as soon as they bought the franchise, it would have been impossible to make the new trilogy if the former expanded universe had remained canon.

Exactly. And trust me, there were bad parts to it (such as X-Wing pilots who were some weird horse species (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hohass_Ekwesh)) but it wasn't taken away because fans didn't like it.

strigoi1958
06-29-2017, 06:37 PM
Exactly, it comes down to who has the right to say something is no longer canon... if the majority of fans still consider it canon then who's to say it is not. Even if someone has spent millions branching out into a new direction... it is just an alternative with different canon points. The problem with buying a franchise and deciding to start in the middle instead of at the end always causes problems... I'd rather have a reboot than a point in a story where it splits.

LoyalACFan
06-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Look at Star Wars, for instance. The Legends stuff that got decanonized a few years ago... a lot of that stuff was really popular. Some of it, like the Thrawn books and the KOTOR games were far more positively received than the prequel movies..

Off-topic, but the death of KOTOR's canonicity is still a sore wound for me :p I mean, it took place 4000 years before the end of the prequel trilogy; I think they could have made an exception for it while obliterating the rest of the EU, considering its critical success and lack of connection to the Skywalker era.

But anyway... I think if we're talking about AC, the console games are pretty much safe, but IMO, they could decanonize any of the handheld/Chronicles titles at the drop of a hat if they wanted to do something else with that era. Only a minuscule portion of the fanbase has played them, and they're pretty much universally considered to be the worst contributions to the AC lore. AC2: Discovery is already skirting along the fringes of the canon, now that the movie has dipped its toes into the Spanish Inquisition.

cawatrooper9
06-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Off-topic, but the death of KOTOR's canonicity is still a sore wound for me :p I mean, it took place 4000 years before the end of the prequel trilogy; I think they could have made an exception for it while obliterating the rest of the EU, considering its critical success and lack of connection to the Skywalker era.

It was a baby/bathwater kind of situation. It'd be too confusing to say "ok, so some things are canon and some aren't" instead of just saying "The movies and the Clone Wars TV show are the only things canon now", especially given the ridiculous volume of stuff in Legends.

But they're bringing back a lot of the good stuff. Thrawn is back now (in Rebels, as well as a brand new Thrawn novel). The Mandalorian Wars are confirmed. There are even hints in the Rebels TV show that Revan is back in canon.

But anyway... I think if we're talking about AC, the console games are pretty much safe, but IMO, they could decanonize any of the handheld/Chronicles titles at the drop of a hat if they wanted to do something else with that era. Only a minuscule portion of the fanbase has played them, and they're pretty much universally considered to be the worst contributions to the AC lore. AC2: Discovery is already skirting along the fringes of the canon, now that the movie has dipped its toes into the Spanish Inquisition

Yeah, I think that's probably fair. I'd even throw Liberation in with the console games, but that might be just because I really like it. :p

I think the recent comics/post-Initiates stuff have been a sort of rebooting of canon where things are weighed a little more carefully, so I'd think for the time being they'd be safe, too.

ze_topazio
06-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Anyway, probably Unity ain't getting decanonized any time soon considering this: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1696264-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-mobile-version-announced