PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on Career/QMB modes

IHI.OuTcAsT
12-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Hi there, I am not a newbie in IL2, but I mostly play online and simple dogfights in QMB.

From the release of the game (IL2) I always had some question so I decided to ask them here http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

1)In Career Mode in the missions am I supposed to follow the map lines? the Airbase Center Voice coordinates? or the Meter in the Cockpit that shows to the next waypoint? The Map lines also seem to be messed up to me. While I try to follow them sometimes it instantly tells to go back to airport when I have just taken off.

2)in QMB because I like playing with realistic settings, how am I going to know the locations of enemy moving ground targets? Is the only way to know this the cockpit thing that shows the next waypoint. But isn't this stationary? With Tanks that are moving shouldn't it be inaccurate? Can't I get info from voice like in missions?

3)In the night missions, why the airports don't have any lights so I can see them? The Landing Light is supposed to light the ground so you can find what you want right? What is the point of that if you can't the lighted area in the ground from inside the cockpit? (The view is blocked by the cockpit itself).

4) Why in QMB there are from the release of the game only 3 Maps? I thought that some were added with the patches/FB, or they are only for missions.

5) In most career missions I have the feeling that everything is not going right. I have seen 20 Allied fighters hunting just 1 Enemy for 30 minutes. Why when the mission is accomplished the voice from Airport Center doesn't give coordinations to airport but to crazy places? And I have to request vector to home base to get the right coordinations.

I think there are much more but for the beginning it would be good to know those http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I hope someone will answer them http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Thank you

IHI.OuTcAsT
12-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Hi there, I am not a newbie in IL2, but I mostly play online and simple dogfights in QMB.

From the release of the game (IL2) I always had some question so I decided to ask them here http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

1)In Career Mode in the missions am I supposed to follow the map lines? the Airbase Center Voice coordinates? or the Meter in the Cockpit that shows to the next waypoint? The Map lines also seem to be messed up to me. While I try to follow them sometimes it instantly tells to go back to airport when I have just taken off.

2)in QMB because I like playing with realistic settings, how am I going to know the locations of enemy moving ground targets? Is the only way to know this the cockpit thing that shows the next waypoint. But isn't this stationary? With Tanks that are moving shouldn't it be inaccurate? Can't I get info from voice like in missions?

3)In the night missions, why the airports don't have any lights so I can see them? The Landing Light is supposed to light the ground so you can find what you want right? What is the point of that if you can't the lighted area in the ground from inside the cockpit? (The view is blocked by the cockpit itself).

4) Why in QMB there are from the release of the game only 3 Maps? I thought that some were added with the patches/FB, or they are only for missions.

5) In most career missions I have the feeling that everything is not going right. I have seen 20 Allied fighters hunting just 1 Enemy for 30 minutes. Why when the mission is accomplished the voice from Airport Center doesn't give coordinations to airport but to crazy places? And I have to request vector to home base to get the right coordinations.

I think there are much more but for the beginning it would be good to know those http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I hope someone will answer them http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Thank you

jyarbrough
12-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Some partial answers to your questions. I have been playing career modes offline since the first IL2 release.
1)You are supposed to follow the map lines to the next waypoint. If you get off course, the radio direction indicator(which is not historically accurate. It would really only direct you back to your home base) will direct you to the next waypoint. Not back to the course line. The messages from home base should be ignored because obviously the tower controller is confused.
2) Finding ground targets is hit & miss. The waypoint marked "ground attack" or whatever is where the target is supposed to be. It may have moved if you get lost & are running late or it may not be there yet if you go faster than planned. I don't think anyone will call you on the radio to point out ground targets like they do for bogeys in the air.
3) To get lights on the runway, all you have to do is open the mission file in the mission editor (after it is created by DGen of course) and put "runway campfires" from the stationary objects file along the runway. I don't know why the mission writers never put this in the DGen program.
4)The new maps are only availabel for mission building or some of the new campaigns if you are not flying online.
5)The AI is really not very intelligent and they have made AI pilots a little less aggressive to make missions generally a little easier. I have heard that the coordinates called out on the radio are actually compass bearings from home base to you, not the heading you would need to follow. Calling and asking for a vector is still the best way. You can also Tell your flight to return to home base and your waypoint indicator will switch to the home airport. (The way it really worked)
Hope this helps!

IHI.OuTcAsT
12-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Thank you for the reply. You speak a lot for Map Waypoints. In the Realistic Setting however, the map doesn't work at all and not all the planes have the "next waypoint indicator in the cockpit". So how am I going to find "anything" in realistic mode?