PDA

View Full Version : I must be old and slow.

Lucifist666
06-19-2017, 07:53 PM
I get annihilated by guard break. If I miss a guard break and then they go for a guard break it seems like I can't reverse it. And after I dodge I can't reverse it either. Am I slow or what? People who spam the s**t out of guard break just destroy me. I can't seem to get any better at defending it. Ugh...

Antonioj26
06-19-2017, 08:01 PM
I get annihilated by guard break. If I miss a guard break and then they go for a guard break it seems like I can't reverse it. And after I dodge I can't reverse it either. Am I slow or what? People who spam the s**t out of guard break just destroy me. I can't seem to get any better at defending it. Ugh...

If you try to dodge them you can't counter the gb so that may be your problem. If I remember right you are a nobu and I think her dodge recovery frames are pretty bad.

Lucifist666
06-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Nobushi yes. What about when I miss a guard break and then they go for one. I'm even expecting it and I still can counter it.

Blasto95
06-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Both instances you named, give your opponent a free GB if timed right.

Guard breaking is the immediate counter to dodging. As far as I know, only Raider can Counter GB while dodging because he has a Dodge+GB move.

If you miss a GB, then your character goes into a recovery state, where you are vulnerable to I believe anything for a short duration. The timing is pretty lenient when attempting to GB someone that just whiffed a GB.

Just be careful not to GB while out of range and to not dodge as much. Learn to stand your ground and not back off as much and you'll find yourself teching almost every GB. It really just takes practice, practice, practice.

Lucifist666
06-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Thank you guys. I'll keep practicing

Shakti.
06-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Hi mate. I had the same issue. The game has it's flow and GB is meant to be almost predicted to be countered. When I forst come to the game I had the same issu. Took
me very long time to learn how to counter it and mostrly is muscle reflexes once you know how the character behave. My solution at the time was to choose a very offensive character
so I was on the givin hand of the guardbreaks. It wasn't smart. Took me 5 or 6 reputation levels to be able to respond to Guard break. Best thing you can do is to train with a friend.
We use to do matches 1 v 1 only using heavies and guardbreak so you can get the hang of parries and antiGB. Wish you luck.

Reinborn
06-19-2017, 10:14 PM
I remember thinking the very same thing myself when I started playing, lol. Feels like it's me writing that thread. It took me some time to learn to react to it without having to concentrate on it and what helped me with it the most was playing Conqueror in 1v1s since a vast majority of people tried to guard break me very often, I had to learn hwo to counter GB so it just comes with time. You need to practice more.

Maybe start with reading your opponent's moves, if you're turtling, just observe the enemy coming slowly towards you for a guard break and be ready for it. Before you learn how to react to it naturally, you need to read the situation.

UbiJurassic
06-19-2017, 11:52 PM
Lock-on dodges are a guardbreaker's paradise. You should be able to identify a player that's abusing the GB button early on, so the best strategy, once you figure them out, is to counter guardbreak them to or make them eat a few lights to show them that "momma didn't raise no fool". If you do need to dodge or make space between you and them, rolling is your safest option since they cannot guardbreak a roll.

psyminion
06-20-2017, 12:00 AM
I don't know if this is worth mentioning but, I always have greater success cbging when I'm wearing my headphones while playing.
the audio cues help me to react quicker than the animations or hud.

Lucifist666
06-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys I'll try to put some of this into effect. I'm getting a bit better about it

Obdach01
06-20-2017, 02:59 PM
I am old and a bit slow, but when I practice CGB with my mate, where I concentrate on it and expect it, it is possible 50% of the time. But in the real deal, I expect everything and am prepared for everything, but I never, never, never ever can CGB. Simply too slow for it. Age does hinder. All I can do is try to dodge it... or I simply eat it the beating.

My.Insanity
06-20-2017, 03:30 PM
I had the same problem.. my reaction time for CGB was too slow because my finger needs too long to reach the button.. so i bought a new mouse which has buttons right on the place where my thumb rest. And now im fine.. CGB works very well. (Mouse + Keyboard ftw) :D

Lucifist666
06-20-2017, 03:46 PM
I am old and a bit slow, but when I practice CGB with my mate, where I concentrate on it and expect it, it is possible 50% of the time. But in the real deal, I expect everything and am prepared for everything, but I never, never, never ever can CGB. Simply too slow for it. Age does hinder. All I can do is try to dodge it... or I simply eat it the beating.

I just recently learned that if you try to hold your ground it's better. The more you try to dodge the easier it is for them to GB you. I've been holding my ground and it's been getting a bit easier to see it coming. If you dodge there is a moment where they can GB you and you can counter it. So just keep practicing. That's what I'm doing. I'll never be great at it though I think. But I GOTTA get better cause it's the only way I lose half the time

AKDagriZ
06-20-2017, 04:25 PM

i am a bit old too . after the first month of release i tought i would never be able to GBC , now with a lot of knowledge in this game , i am not affraid to say i counter pretty much 95% GB . The only time i get caught is because i dodged inside GB radius or missed an attack and get caught within the free GB window.And of course my valk do give some free GB on block

Neurodoom
06-21-2017, 11:06 PM
Probably the problem are not your reflexe. Im playing on PC (PS3 joystick) and i have to press multiple times on my controller for the game to register my CGBs, just double tap immediatly after your opponent grabs you and it'll do the trick.

UbiNoty
06-22-2017, 12:34 AM
There's a few videos around for CGB from a Nobushi's perspective, so if you google that you might find some good tips there as well.
It always helps me to see how others do it first before going to practice it. :)

Lucifist666
06-22-2017, 03:38 AM
There's a few videos around for CGB from a Nobushi's perspective, so if you google that you might find some good tips there as well.
It always helps me to see how others do it first before going to practice it. :)

Thank you! I'll check right now.