PDA

View Full Version : The Hero's Races

LordKrillos
06-18-2017, 12:20 AM
Not only am I overjoyed to hear that BG&E2 is in development but you can also play as your own customized hero in it. I am beyond thrilled for this new game and I am more than happy to share my thoughts to the development team for a phenomenal gaming experience.

The biggest interest of creating a character is picking their race and that MUST be an option for BG&E2. Not everyone is interested in playing a boring human and the existence of the animal hybrids opens up a lot of creative possibilities and replayability.

UNIQUE RACIAL STATS & ABILITIES
Each race possess their own unique strengths, weaknesses, movesets and abilities. In terms of abilities, here's an example; if you picked an aquatic hybrid, it will enables you to breathe and swim more smoothly underwater without any gear. Or if you're an avian type, you could fly from the very start without getting a jet pack. Other races who doesn't have these abilities will later compensate them with new gear later on in the game.

As for the skills and ability of the human, I'd guess they have a more balanced stats and technical ingenuity as an ability (something they share with the monkey/simian-hybrids)?

To better understand on how the race should be portrayed, here are two examples.

Human
Strength: Average, Defense: Average, Agility: Average, Ability: Technical ingenuity, Bantering

Mantis
Strength: Medium, Defense: Low, Agility: High, Ability: Stealth kills, Flight

NUMBER OF RACES
While I would love to have a huge gallery of hybrid races to choose from, it would be wise to have a small number of races to save time on development. I think about 7-8 sound like a sufficient number.

WHICH RACES FOR YOUR HERO
Now comes the tricky part, which hybrids are available to the hero. We could choose animals that would associate with the pirate theme (like a rat and a parrot) or animals that are good with groups (like a lion with its prides and a wolf/dog with its pack). Or just choose animals that looks downright awesome as pirates.

I would suggest animals that are exclusive to the player and you won't find any other similar in the game. That way you don't feel that the galaxy is a small place. Or at least make the hero look unique compared to the others. And also keep some species exclusive based on gender, like a lion hybrid are only for the male hero and a mantis hybrid for the female hero.

But the most important thing of all, we need to pick a race that has unique natural abilities related to the animals the Hybrids based on. For example, the octopus for their flexible bodies, extendable tentacles and camouflage abilities. In other words, pick an animal that can be useful.

AFTERMATH
As a side note, I would HIGHLY recommend going for a more natural look for the designs on the hybrids, just as they are depicted in the cinematic trailer so far. No crazy coloring or weird stuff the furry fandom could come up with. I gathered some pics here that has the look BG&E2 should go for. Enjoy.
http://pin.it/h_pUbSK
http://pin.it/jPaGu2H
http://pin.it/8DC4Ae7
http://pin.it/_p0oVah
http://pin.it/sltX99t
http://pin.it/6OYkvfG
http://img08.deviantart.net/d10a/i/2015/029/0/7/captain_red_feathers_by_dragibuz-d8fvx4l.jpg

For me, I would love to play as a either a lion, wolf/dog, crocodile or a shark hybrid pirate with a cool clan name like the Lionhearts, the Seadogs or the Jaws.

That is all from me. Share your thoughts here and discuss what race your hero should be. Let's help inspire the developers!

FlorianRex
06-18-2017, 05:54 PM
Bueh, If you refered to the main characters for custom like the clothes, or go to gym and do muscles (like in San Andreas), I agree with you, but create your own character... pff, I just say it will be a little... bored, and very difficult to engage with the story.

The available races will be:
- A humanoid cow (taurus sapiens)
- A humanoid pig (sus sapiens)
- A human (homo sapiens)
- A humanoid shark (charcharodon sapiens)
- A humanoid goat (capra sapiens)
- A humanoid eagle (aquilus sapiens)
- A humanoid cat (felis sapiens)
- A humanoid rhino (rhinoceros sapiens)
- A humanoid sea dog (walrus sapiens)
(all the humanoids races appear in Beyond Good and Evil)

LordKrillos
06-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Bueh, If you refered to the main characters for custom like the clothes, or go to gym and do muscles (like in San Andreas), I agree with you, but create your own character... pff, I just say it will be a little... bored, and very difficult to engage with the story.

It is confirmed that you create your own character from the start. That's one of new features of BG&E2.

FlorianRex
06-18-2017, 06:15 PM
It is confirmed that you create your own character from the start. That's one of new features of BG&E2.

I don´t think so...where did you get the information? I don`t believe it v:

LordKrillos
06-18-2017, 06:21 PM
I don´t think so...where did you get the information? I don`t believe it v:

Everyone has been talking about it. It's all confirmed in this interview and everywhere else.
http://blog.ubi.com/beyond-good-evil-2-behind-closed-doors-impressions-e3-2017/

FlorianRex
06-18-2017, 06:35 PM
LOL, :v, but I want to know who are the parents of Jade D:

DiDoFRGT10
06-18-2017, 06:39 PM
I'll try to create a character that looks like Jade if I can :D

LordKrillos
06-18-2017, 06:46 PM
I'll try to create a character that looks like Jade if I can :D

Hah. I would love to see that possible. XD Imagine your character meeting Dakini and they happen to look exactly alike.

Dakini: Welp... This is awkward.

RastaMammago
06-18-2017, 10:33 PM

The available races will be:
- A humanoid cow (taurus sapiens)
- A humanoid pig (sus sapiens)
- A human (homo sapiens)
- A humanoid shark (charcharodon sapiens)
- A humanoid goat (capra sapiens)
- A humanoid eagle (aquilus sapiens)
- A humanoid cat (felis sapiens)
- A humanoid rhino (rhinoceros sapiens)
- A humanoid sea dog (walrus sapiens)
(all the humanoids races appear in Beyond Good and Evil)

I think that it could be a mistake to put too much races for customization because this choice could affect the definition of race details.
In my humble opinion, these races plus 1 o 3 alternative are quite for a good gameplay... I don't know... Wolves and lions seems to be a little bit too mainstream for the style of BGE. But surely there will be the tiger race because we have a tiger in the crew (that fits well in a pirate crew) as we can see in the second video posted by Ubisoft's channel on YT, minute 0.23!

LordKrillos
06-18-2017, 10:54 PM
I think that it could be a mistake to put too much races for customization because this choice could affect the definition of race details.
In my humble opinion, these races plus 1 o 3 alternative are quite for a good gameplay... I don't know... Wolves and lions seems to be a little bit too mainstream for the style of BGE. But surely there will be the tiger race because we have a tiger in the crew (that fits well in a pirate crew) we can see in the second video posted by Ubisoft's channel on YT, minute 0.23!

I agree with you there. We shouldn't have too many races nor should we have too few.

Kingy77
06-19-2017, 07:19 AM
First, I must admit first: I'm not really into that idea of building your character from scratch in BGE2... I enjoyed doing it in many games because it looks cool, makes you kind of unique, and gives you more implication to the game. But I don't think we need that to be immersed and implicated in BGE2. They could just design an awesome character for us, with killing looks, remarkable acting and a mysterious backstory (as they did in the first one), and that would do it. But I guess all that is kind of necessary for the multiplayer angle of the game... with which I'm not sure to agree neither.:rolleyes:
I am worried that too many choices would alter the perfect character design the developers had made for us.
But since it WILL be part of the game, it may as well be as awesome as possible.

UNIQUE RACIAL STATS & ABILITIES
Each race possess their own unique strengths, weaknesses, movesets and abilities. In terms of abilities, here's an example; if you picked an aquatic hybrid, it will enables you to breathe and swim more smoothly underwater without any gear. Or if you're an avian type, you could fly from the very start without getting a jet pack. Other races who doesn't have these abilities will later compensate them with new gear later on in the game.

As for the skills and ability of the human, I'd guess they have a more balanced stats and technical ingenuity as an ability (something they share with the monkey/simian-hybrids)?

To better understand on how the race should be portrayed, here are two examples.

Human
Strength: Average, Defense: Average, Agility: Average, Ability: Technical ingenuity, Bantering

Mantis
Strength: Medium, Defense: Low, Agility: High, Ability: Stealth kills, Flight

NUMBER OF RACES
While I would love to have a huge gallery of hybrid races to choose from, it would be wise to have a small number of races to save time on development. I think about 7-8 sound like a sufficient number.

WHICH RACES FOR YOUR HERO
Now comes the tricky part, which hybrids are available to the hero. We could choose animals that would associate with the pirate theme (like a rat and a parrot) or animals that are good with groups (like a lion with its prides and a wolf/dog with its pack). Or just choose animals that looks downright awesome as pirates.

I would suggest animals that are exclusive to the player and you won't find any other similar in the game. That way you don't feel that the galaxy is a small place. Or at least make the hero look unique compared to the others. And also keep some species exclusive based on gender, like a lion hybrid are only for the male hero and a mantis hybrid for the female hero.

AFTERMATH
As a side note, I would HIGHLY recommend going for a more natural look for the designs on the hybrids, just as they are depicted in the cinematic trailer so far. No crazy coloring or weird stuff the furry fandom could come up with. I gathered some pics here that has the look BG&E2 should go for. Enjoy.
http://pin.it/h_pUbSK
http://pin.it/jPaGu2H
http://pin.it/8DC4Ae7
http://pin.it/_p0oVah
http://pin.it/sltX99t
http://pin.it/6OYkvfG
http://img08.deviantart.net/d10a/i/2015/029/0/7/captain_red_feathers_by_dragibuz-d8fvx4l.jpg

For me, I would love to play as a either a lion, wolf/dog, crocodile or a shark hybrid pirate with a cool clan name like the Lionhearts, the Seadogs or the Jaws.

That is all from me. Share your thoughts here and discuss what race your hero should be. Let's help inspire the developers!
Some good ideas here! I like it. Having different abilities for each race is not even an option here. It's imperative!
Not sure humans would be particularly good with mechanics or technologies, given that in the first game the hybrids (Pey'j, Mammago...) were clearly on top of things on those matters. However they would probably be the all-average race.

I also like the idea that the races proposed as main character isn't seen on other NPCs (or, at least, not for the big part of the game). It would give a feeling of importance to the player, and also would permit to include a common intrigue for all proposed races: Where is my race gone? What happened to them? What will happen to me?
I also think it would be great to see the NPCs behaving differently according to our race. Like, if we are a lion-hybrid, other big cats are more sympathetic or easy to persuade than others, and "prey-kinds" hybrids are more easy to scare (gazelles, zebras...).

Liked those pics too, the first ones really stick to BGE2's universe. Having characters that are already piratery classics (sharks, parrots...) might be a little bit too cliché though.

IRISNetwork
06-19-2017, 09:01 AM
All great ideas but let's not try to turn this into a furry fest :')

Hopefully they mostly stick to the races we know exist from BGE, but I wouldn't mind one or two new ones in the mix.

chadl123
06-19-2017, 10:06 AM
I really don't wanna see gameplay influenced too much by what race you choose. This feels like it's moving too far into MMORPG territory.

Wi1d.Card
06-19-2017, 11:51 AM
I would prefer Dakini as the main character and Knox/Shani as a playable secondarys at some point. With only customizable clothing and hairstyles

FlorianRex
06-19-2017, 12:06 PM
In my humble opinion, these races plus 1 o 3 alternative are quite for a good gameplay... I don't know... Wolves and lions seems to be a little bit too mainstream for the style of BGE. But surely there will be the tiger race because we have a tiger in the crew (that fits well in a pirate crew) as we can see in the second video posted by Ubisoft's channel on YT, minute 0.23!

Yep, but I think they should add this races yes or yes, because appear in the first Beyond Good and Evil, and it will be a little strange to no add this races D:
The wolve and tiger races is a good idea, but I like to view all the races who appear in the first B:G&E (and if a want to do a character similar to Rufus? mhmhmhm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go and visit the B:G&E 2 POLL !!

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1689737-How-do-you-want-to-be-Beyond-Good-and-Evil-2-(POLL)

Regards, Florian.

ElPrimordial
06-19-2017, 05:18 PM
They better give me a human parrot hybrid (psittacines sapiens) so I can be a true pirate! And curse like one!!! :D:D:D:p
Also I really hope they give us the chance to use prosthetic limbs so I can have my hook, a peg leg, and an eyepatch... pirate stereotype complete! :p

RastaMammago
06-19-2017, 06:46 PM
They better give me a human parrot hybrid (psittacines sapiens) so I can be a true pirate! And curse like one!!! :D:D:D:p
Also I really hope they give us the chance to use prosthetic limbs so I can have my hook, a peg leg, and an eyepatch... pirate stereotype complete! :p

I don't know if I want that BGE uses a lot of stereotypes, it's has to continue in his original way :D

Kingy77
06-19-2017, 09:13 PM
I really don't wanna see gameplay influenced too much by what race you choose. This feels like it's moving too far into MMORPG territory.

Or maybe you're juste influenced by a very famous MMORPG with hybrid-animal-humanoïd characters, name starting with a 'W', on which you spent countless hours... ;)
I mean, seriously: A video-game in a world populated with hybrids that are so cool, with the possibility to create your own hero... you want to choose your race. And if the difference between a shark and a sheep is just the skin of the character... well that'd just be a waste.
Note that we're not suggesting just some RPG stuff, like a different skill tree or stats. But rather different fighting moves (monkey is kung-fu, rhino is wrestling, sheep is basically distributing headbutts...) or physical abilities (try climbing this tree with your shark...).

LordKrillos
06-19-2017, 09:58 PM
First, I must admit first: I'm not really into that idea of building your character from scratch in BGE2... I enjoyed doing it in many games because it looks cool, makes you kind of unique, and gives you more implication to the game. But I don't think we need that to be immersed and implicated in BGE2. They could just design an awesome character for us, with killing looks, remarkable acting and a mysterious backstory (as they did in the first one), and that would do it. But I guess all that is kind of necessary for the multiplayer angle of the game... with which I'm not sure to agree neither.:rolleyes:
I am worried that too many choices would alter the perfect character design the developers had made for us.
But since it WILL be part of the game, it may as well be as awesome as possible.

Some good ideas here! I like it. Having different abilities for each race is not even an option here. It's imperative!
Not sure humans would be particularly good with mechanics or technologies, given that in the first game the hybrids (Pey'j, Mammago...) were clearly on top of things on those matters. However they would probably be the all-average race.

I also like the idea that the races proposed as main character isn't seen on other NPCs (or, at least, not for the big part of the game). It would give a feeling of importance to the player, and also would permit to include a common intrigue for all proposed races: Where is my race gone? What happened to them? What will happen to me?
I also think it would be great to see the NPCs behaving differently according to our race. Like, if we are a lion-hybrid, other big cats are more sympathetic or easy to persuade than others, and "prey-kinds" hybrids are more easy to scare (gazelles, zebras...).

Liked those pics too, the first ones really stick to BGE2's universe. Having characters that are already piratery classics (sharks, parrots...) might be a little bit too cliché though.

Thank you so much for liking my idea and sharing your own input about it. It's well-written and well-put. ^^

All great ideas but let's not try to turn this into a furry fest :')

That's why I forewarned everyone that we should stick to more realistic ones. xD

Not unless they go for more of action role-playing, more or less like Skyrim.

I would prefer Dakini as the main character and Knox/Shani as a playable secondarys at some point. With only customizable clothing and hairstyles

Sadly, it is as it is. But we should respect their decision and support it. But there's no doubt that Dakini and the crew of the Gada will play an very important role for you and your own crew. Like forging an alliance with each other.

Atrucian
06-19-2017, 10:05 PM
You can also see a hybrid shark (left) and rhino (right) in the crew, from 2:55 to 2:59

Zeldoran
06-19-2017, 10:05 PM
A rodent race? ;3

LordKrillos
06-19-2017, 11:33 PM
Should we? I mean, isn't this particular forum exactly the place to voice which of their decisions we don't support? :)

Indeed. :)

Choice of race is ambitious, because it wouldn't make much sense if those races didn't play significantly different yet still the human option would have to yield perks that makes players want to play humans. So this will likely be present, yet very limited (the pig characters e.g. seem a little... immobile to me). Much more important are costumes for individualisation, I think.

That's what I have been thinking about as well. Putting this on my perspective, I would totally ignore the human and go for the hybrids. Because let's face it, why would you be a boring human when you can be a beastman with special abilities and becoming a pirate no less. Therefore, the human has to have something that stands out more to the player, like you said. With perhaps more appealing perks or customization options (like choosing the ethnicity for your hero and such).

Wi1d.Card
06-20-2017, 12:15 AM
My issue with it because this type of characters are always end up with pretty limited unremarkable personality

Kingy77
06-20-2017, 06:35 AM
That's what I have been thinking about as well. Putting this on my perspective, I would totally ignore the human and go for the hybrids. Because let's face it, why would you be a boring human when you can be a beastman with special abilities and becoming a pirate no less. Therefore, the human has to have something that stands out more to the player, like you said. With perhaps more appealing perks or customization options (like choosing the ethnicity for your hero and such).
Like an ancestry with Jade, for example?.. I bet that would be a good reason for many players to go with the human. :)

My issue with it because this type of characters are always end up with pretty limited unremarkable personality
Same here. All the games I played with extended character creation engines had this "wow" effect when I was actually creating it and playing for the first minutes, but at the end of the day it was never as good as a character designed by a professional game design team. Oh, except for Top Spin, I enjoyed having a tennis player looing like me. :D
Of course, there are some exceptions on both sides. But in my opinion the only necessity for a character creation engine comes from the online component of BGE2.

That said, I'm sure Ancel and his team are going to surprise us, designing the most clever way to make us choose several criterion of our characters and still maintain that spark in it that made us love Jade in the first game.
Still, I really hope they have a much bigger budget for this game, because the actors' bill alone, with all the different voices that will be needed for the several possibilities for a main character, will be huge...

LordKrillos
06-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Let's nominate ten races which you believe will appear in BG&E2 (just for the fun of it). This list should include their strengths, weaknesses (measured between 1 to 10) and abilities. Humans will always be included and have their own unique ability that stands out from the others. Also leave a comment at the end and tell us your reasons for your nominations. Here's my nominations.

Human.
Strength: 5, Defense: 5, Agility: 5, Abilities: Adaptability

Wolf
Strength: 3, Defense: 4, Agility: 3, Ability: Howl & Crew Morale Boost
Hyena
Strength: 4, Defense: 3, Agility: 2, Ability: Lockbreaking & Crew Morale Boost, Exclusive only to the female hero.
Lion
Strength: 6, Defense: 3, Agility: 3, Ability: Roar & Crew Morale Boost, Exclusive only to the male hero.

Orca
Strength: 10, Defense: 6, Agility: 3, Ability: Sonar Pulse & Swim
Crocodile
Strength: 5, Defense: 3, Agility: 6, Ability: Watery Takedowns & Swim, Exclusive only to the male hero.
Polar Bear
Strength: 8, Defense: 5, Agility: 2, Ability: Frost Resist & Swim

Flying Fox
Strength: 2, Defense: 3, Agility: 8, Ability: Theft & Flight
Eagle
Strength: 3, Defense: 3, Agility: 7, Ability: Keen eyesight & Flight
Mantis
Strength: 2, Defense: 2, Agility: 10, Ability: Silent Takedowns & Flight, Exclusive only to the female hero.

COMMENT
I was careful not to pick animals that screams too much pirate stereotypes. Each three races (minus the humans) shares an ability that gives an environmental advantage, like flying or swimming, without the aid of special equipments you get later in the game. I also made few races exclusive to certain genders to decrease workload for the development team when designing on the genders for every race.

LordKrillos
06-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Oh! And the reason why I picked "lockbreaker" for the hyena hybrid is a funny one. A long time ago, I saw a nature program where a hyena wants to visit its caretaker at an animal sanctuary in the middle of the night but a wooden door stood in its way. But that doesn't stop it as it broke down the door piece by piece with its powerful jaws. So I thought it would be a hilarious idea if this hyena hybrid solves its problems by crunching them with its jaws. XD

ElPrimordial
06-23-2017, 04:00 AM
I don't know if I want that BGE uses a lot of stereotypes, it's has to continue in his original way :D

I though all those smiles were enough to show that I was joking...

ExitPace
06-23-2017, 07:07 PM
If I can't start the game as a pizza delivery rhinoperson, I'll just buy Call of Duty instead.

(kidding) :p

AuraLucarioX
08-05-2017, 02:52 AM
Since they have a Felis Sapiens, why not add a dog/wolf race known as the Canis Sapiens race? I like the idea of playing as a wolf human hybrid, and it'd look cool!! The history of the Canis Sapiens is that they were created to be used in law enforcement or to fight in the military.

KIERROK
08-10-2017, 06:11 AM
One thing I want to know is, will our hybrids have tails, or will they be a feline or bovine only tailless? Like be a human, just have a cat or bull head.

ShadORRust
08-12-2017, 12:17 AM
There was no tail in first game (regardless, that it was future), as no ones in trailer.

Legion-495
08-12-2017, 07:02 PM
There was no tail in first game (regardless, that it was future), as no ones in trailer.

Now that you mention it. Geez I hope they have ones^^ With actual physics(character balance=tail direction). Well it would make it a lot easier without, but cooler with those^^. Reality looks like... it is more complicated than boob-physics xD
I see why they would scrap tails. As long as I get to see cat ears xD... I hope animated :D I actually really want to see their implementation of hybrids. Faces will be very interesting.

Seems kinda hard for the devs. They need to make multiple models.

Would be nice if they tell us how deep stuff like clothing goes(Like race specific?).

KIERROK
08-20-2017, 02:05 AM
I'm thinking of making either a taurus or cat (tiger or leopard spots). I wonder though, do hybrids have tails? I find it weird to have humanoid animals but no tails... Unless cat hybrid has bobcat DNA, then I could accept a stump tail.