PDA

View Full Version : Can For Honor truly be fixed?

Archeun
06-17-2017, 11:48 PM
Let me start by saying this. For Honor to me, could have been the most incredible game. A fighting system that is awesome. Cool characters and diverse classes. Decent graphics. The idea of the game is fantastic That's the good parts. Now let's look at the negative aspects.

1. Steel: Ubisoft obviously wants money. I can understand that. Since most of the items are cosmetic in nature; that's not terrible but since many costumes cost 5k+ steel, the amount of money to buy everything in the game is around 900 dollars or so (if my math is correct). That's an insane amount of money. For many players who want to "finish" the game; that means a insane amount of game time hours or spending the equivalent of 900 bucks. Id rather buy a new generation console games, a massive new TV+games or a lower range gaming PC. My opinion is that the following needs to occur. A massive reduction in steel costs for items or a MASSIVE increase in the amount of steel given for $$$$. When you look at the state of the game, that is the only way I would even remotely consider spending money to support it right now.

2. Network issues: Disconnects are not uncommon. I would say disconnects occur in 1 out of every 3 games. I have a 1 Gb Internet Connection which averages about 80 MB download. This has been an issue since it's release. I know Ubisoft is likely trying to fix it but so far they haven't been successful which does not bode well considering the severe issue it is.

3. Class imbalances: Let's be honest. Some classes are massively overpowered or underpowered. Yes, in a way they are balanced out by speed etc. but the imbalances in some classes are simply insane. The skill curve to be a decent player is high but not impossible.

4. Introducing DLC or other content before fixing the base game: This is one of my biggest issues with For Honor. Instead of working and focusing on fixing the numerous issues that are plaguing the game, Ubisoft releases 2 new characters that have put it mildly, disrupted the game in severe ways. Shinobi teleporting around and kicking is ridiculous. They aren't in the Matrix. Centurions being able to effectively stun lock you, suck all your stamina and than keep you from being able to get away is ridiculous. I've had many fights where I go against a Cent and he parries me, knees me in the face and then spends the next 10 seconds killing me with me desperately trying to roll away or get away and nothing occurring. Admittedly, I'm not the greatest player so it's possible I'm at fault sometimes but to me they literally just stun lock me and kill me. If you are facing 2 cents; kiss your butt goodbye, you are done. To make it worse, executions and cosmetic problems are being introduced as obvious ways to grab more cash.

5. Massive loss of player base: People who are refusing to acknowledge the severe problem this is are not helping the game. Steam has lost about 95% of the For Honor player base. I suspect the non-steam player base are likely losing a similar amount. The bottom line is the game released and had 45k+ players on, now if it pulls 2.5k you are doing well. This leads to my next issue.

6. The Rage quitting penalty of 10 mines. This is obviously a worthless addition. There are many ways to disconnect from the game to avoid it. I do think the penalty was needed and I find the 30 second ability to leave acceptable. This allows you to leave a completely mismatched game without penalty while keeping people from losing just because they are getting pounded but once again, it's worthless since there are so many ways to avoid "quitting".

7. Matchmaking: Matches should not have Rep 20-30 people fighting people who don't even have 1 Rep. These types of matches generally end up in a massive crushing of the people on the lower end of the spectrum.

8. Players in the game: I've found you have 4 types of players in For Honor. Player A enjoys the game, detests the major flaws but continues to play because he wants to believe it will improve. This type of player may be good or bad. Player A plays the game and win or lose, goes about his life.

Player B detests the whining about the state of the game. They demand you Git Gud or go away. You aren't worthy of playing For Honor, you suck and you're a whiny baby. Leave and don't come back. If Player B sees you make a criticism of the game they immediately call you scum or trash and call you toxic. Player B is the elitist type player. This individual generally has played hundreds or thousands of hours to hone his ability to crush the scum that is anyone else. These individuals can be found in packs where they make premade teams or destroy all competition and rarely have issues doing so since MM is broken.

Player C whines about the state of the game constantly. He is upset about the imbalances in/or on "insert complaint here". Player C hates Player B as much as Player B hates him. He believes that Player B only plays the game to make his life miserable. He will respond that Player B lives in his mothers basement or has no girlfriend. He will call Player B a toxic waste dump because gamers like Player B only care about themselves and other elite players and look at Player C as trash players who shouldn't be allowed to grace For Honor.

Player D is everyone else. People who play the game but don't fall into the 3 main categories.

9: Toxic Community: Overall, For Honor is broken into Player B and Player C's at this point. The majority of the player base that has left was sick with the games issues and went on to enjoy other games instead of wasting their time beating their heads against the wall playing this title. Many players in the game talk trash and while it's not as bad in terms of "written words", I've heard spoken words that are absolutely insane. People threatening to murder people or call them awful racist/bigoted names etc. For Honor because of it's very nature appears to have a large number of 18-35 year old males who are very immature.

10: Ubisoft's response to the myriad issues. Ubisoft's main response has been to release minor patches, discount Steel a little, improve Steel drop a little and to work on fixing the issues with the core gameplay. I suspect each time they fix something it will break something else and it will continue to be a never winning issue.

Conclusion: I'm not sure that For Honor can be fixed. I've heard rumors that the FH team is considering making the ragequit penalty even more severe including removing steel. I would beg you to not make that mistake. You GUARANTEE to kill a sizeable amount of your base and that base is sorely needed. The GIT GUD crowd may cheer but the Git Gud crowd doesn't support games; casual gamers do. The game has left such a sour taste in many peoples mouth's, I don't see them returning. I continue to play because I spent the money to purchase the Season Pass etc. For a long time I've loved Ubisoft's games but after The Division, Far Cry Primal and this game......I'll likely use my money to support other gaming companies. Skull and Bones looks amazing but I won't even CONSIDER purchasing that game until player and critic reviews are in the A or B range. I loved Uncharted Waters growing up but I'm done pre-purchasing. Gaming companies are getting clever about it since once you've purchased it, you are SOL, if you don't like it. To me, Ubisoft has been very tone deaf regarding a lot of the criticisms. To me, the top 3 things that need to be fixed are in order.

Gameplay issues including balancing. Absolutely NO DLC or additional store items should be placed in the store until the core game is fixed. No new characters. Teams need to be working on fixing the core game or you will not have anyone left to buy anything soon.

Network issues: Many of these problems were in Alpha and Beta. The fact they aren't fixed yet is unacceptable.

Add new game modes. People are sick of playing Dominion.

I welcome anyone's input. I'd love to hear from others regarding what you think are the issues For Honor has, if you think it can be fixed or if you are simply walking away for good.

Bjorn, Death Bringer and Mini-Lord of the Dwindling Population aka Shield Bash Bro.

Krakadoom
06-18-2017, 12:05 AM
I'll save you some time.

No.

As long as there are no reliable servers and everything in the game is set up towards getting people to spend more money in a pay to win fashion, the game will have a slow death.

tbtsrjc
06-18-2017, 12:51 AM
This game is already on life support. It's heartbeat is very weak compared to what it was at launch.

I played the beta, and then purchased the gold edition at launch. 6 of my RL friends purchased this game, and they all quit before Season 1 had ended, I've had numerous issues regarding this game and it's design but I decided to stick it out until Season 2 went live. I played for less than a week after Season 2 and uninstalled it when i realized that most of the glaring issues that plague this game would never be resolved.

They gathered data from its alpha and beta stages and didn't improve on a single thing. I suspected that Ubisoft was more focused on how it could make money via micro transactions, considering how little steel you earned per match initially. It wasn't until someone calculated how much time and money you'd have to put into this game in order to obtain every accessory that Ubisoft went ahead and upped the amount of steel earned. Trust me, it wasn't what they wanted to do, they only did it when articles started coming out about how greedy they are for money.

Instead of regularly putting out patches to fix the issues, they instead focused on putting out new cosmetics/emotes/executions that would encourage more players to buy steel packs.

I truly feel like money and the marketing behind this game got in the way of fixing this broken game. Being a huge fan of melee combat this game was a huge letdown. Most of these issues should have been figured out before launch, but instead they released it anyway, knowing they would still cash in on this game regardless if it was finished or not. We the players deserved better than this. The worst $100 I ever spent in my life, and one of the most beautiful broken games I have ever played to date.

Trbevis
06-18-2017, 01:30 AM
Its a great game and i enjoy it. They are trying to fix aspects of it, and yes i fully agree it is taking a lot of time, i really hope people stay with this game, a new game mode would help big. Ive waited years and years for a medievil fighting game that doesnt have magic/wizards and all that bull so im not going to leave easilly... hopefully anyway haha

Archeun
06-18-2017, 01:51 AM
This game is already on life support. It's heartbeat is very weak compared to what it was at launch.

I played the beta, and then purchased the gold edition at launch. 6 of my RL friends purchased this game, and they all quit before Season 1 had ended, I've had numerous issues regarding this game and it's design but I decided to stick it out until Season 2 went live. I played for less than a week after Season 2 and uninstalled it when i realized that most of the glaring issues that plague this game would never be resolved.

They gathered data from its alpha and beta stages and didn't improve on a single thing. I suspected that Ubisoft was more focused on how it could make money via micro transactions, considering how little steel you earned per match initially. It wasn't until someone calculated how much time and money you'd have to put into this game in order to obtain every accessory that Ubisoft went ahead and upped the amount of steel earned. Trust me, it wasn't what they wanted to do, they only did it when articles started coming out about how greedy they are for money.

Instead of regularly putting out patches to fix the issues, they instead focused on putting out new cosmetics/emotes/executions that would encourage more players to buy steel packs.

I truly feel like money and the marketing behind this game got in the way of fixing this broken game. Being a huge fan of melee combat this game was a huge letdown. Most of these issues should have been figured out before launch, but instead they released it anyway, knowing they would still cash in on this game regardless if it was finished or not. We the players deserved better than this. The worst $100 I ever spent in my life, and one of the most beautiful broken games I have ever played to date.

Thank you for your input. I agree 100%.

EDG_Avocado
06-18-2017, 04:29 AM
I give it a 1% chance for it to be fixed by adding servers/
It can also be fixed by selling the game off to a better company.
Or it can be fixed by just shutting the game down, cuz it wants to rest already.
Player count is unbearable, haven't played for a while after it reached a constant 1k on steam

Takuram
06-18-2017, 05:43 AM
You guys do understand that a game developer company has many people working on it right? That the people who make animations, cosmetic items, new content, balance and fixes are not the same people? This whole story about "they should fix problems instead of releasing cosmetics" is completelly unrealistic... hell, the people who make the cosmetics probably have no idea on how the programming bits of the game work...

Takuram
06-18-2017, 05:46 AM
Now my 2 cents: yes, the game was a disappointment from the techinical point of view... they tried to make something unique with the connection, I do understand, that the game could not be handled by dedicated servers, but this system does not work... it work great on 1x1, like any other fighting game, but when u put 8 people together connecting at the same time things start to go ****ed up... I remember how it was hell to play Mortal Kombat X on king of the hill mode, and you only got 2 people playing and 6 watching... same disconnects that happen in for honor... in or honor, however, the system is even more complicated, because each client runs a simulation of the game state...

Takuram
06-18-2017, 05:53 AM
But I also have to speak the good parts of this game, and they are not few; I do love AND hate this game, I'm like a sad wife who gets beaten by her drunken husband everyday... XD

But this is the most original game I've seen in the last 5 years, except for Dark Souls maybe...
When it works, it is utterlly fun, even with the unbalance of the classes...
The developers do hear the community, and I love their aproach ( i think it spells like that, maybe not ) of the dev streams... I've never seen a game developer company do this, put their faces to the test, be so open on what they're working on, what they can and can't do...
Sure, Ubisoft only wants money... this has been proved by their last games with the below average quality... but the people who developed this game, you can see how much love and effort they've put and still put in this game...
I don't know about you, but the community here in Brazil for XBOX is great, people message you congratulating on a victory and all that...

I'll stick with for honor, the few moments I can play it, no other game gives me that much fun, and I still support it's developers, because they tried to make a game for us and for them, a game they love and that we could love. Even if it doesnt get better, I still want to play For Honor.

dragon7jdc
06-18-2017, 05:55 AM
I beleive it will. Sure it has more flaws than perfections. But it will all come together eventually.might take a long time, So we just have to deal with they way things are for now.