PDA

View Full Version : MiloMorai a question

F19_Ob
02-01-2004, 09:43 AM
I was wondering about that fellow U mentioned, mr Green. Who is/was he? Is that a known fact that he had misread those documents?

could u give me some info on this guy?

cheers

F19_Ob
02-01-2004, 09:43 AM
I was wondering about that fellow U mentioned, mr Green. Who is/was he? Is that a known fact that he had misread those documents?

could u give me some info on this guy?

cheers

SkyChimp
02-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Mr. Green? William Green? Author of Warplanes Of The Third Reich? Thet guy that misread the Bf-109K-4 climb chart?

Regards,
SkyChimp
http://members.cox.net/rowlandparks/skychimp.jpg

BerkshireHunt
02-01-2004, 11:09 AM
William Green was a highly distinguished British aviation jounalist who wrote most of his work between 1955 and 1968- his books are incredible for the depth of research that went into them and their scope. He described all of the aircraft of all of the major combatants of WW2 together with all prototypes produced by those nations. In smaller volumes he covered the aircraft of other nationalities. He was probably the first Western writer to give detailed coverage of Japanese (along with Francillon) and Russian aircraft.
In 1944 he worked for the RAF Air Training Corps 'Gazette' along with a number of other soon- to- be famous aviation writers; John W R Taylor, Maurice Alward, Jim Oughton, John Stroud and Edward Shacklady. (The staff of that magazine also included a young Roy Cross who went on to paint all those Airfix kit box illustrations of the 1960s).
Green interviewed and got to know Willi Messerschmitt, Ernst Heinkel and Kurt Tank and it was his ambition to write the life stories of all of them- many of the opinions he gives in his books on German aircraft are taken directly from them. As far as I know he did not succeed in his ambition but he did write an exhaustive study of the Bf109.
You will see his work criticised because of the odd error or typo which has been uncovered but these should be taken in context- his work is so vast it would be amazing if there were no errors. I have 15 volumes by Green which, although somewhat outdated where German aircraft are concerned (due to new information being unearthed), are still in most respects the best one- stop shop for WW2 aircraft data you will find.

SkyChimp
02-01-2004, 11:20 AM
I agree Berk. The number or errors given the extent of his work is incredibly small.

Regards,
SkyChimp
http://members.cox.net/rowlandparks/skychimp.jpg

F19_Ob
02-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks alot for the info and effort berkshirehunt.

I try constantly to update my knowledge.

really helpfull.