PDA

View Full Version : what does "massive online playground" mean?

danskmosdal
06-17-2017, 03:13 PM
what does that mean? also shared worlds? as in mmo?
I sure hope not!!!
I donīt mind co-op but it should be a singleplayer focused experience with the option of co-op then.
The whole point of a game like that, is to be emmersed into that awesome universe BGE has, and if you make it like an mmo or like multiplayer in GTA V it just breaks that illusion,

Telemanus
06-17-2017, 03:31 PM
It could just be that you can summon other pirates to help you, which are other players, and you play together.

Legion-495
06-17-2017, 03:58 PM
what does that mean? also shared worlds? as in mmo?
I sure hope not!!!
I donīt mind co-op but it should be a singleplayer focused experience with the option of co-op then.
The whole point of a game like that, is to be emmersed into that awesome universe BGE has, and if you make it like an mmo or like multiplayer in GTA V it just breaks that illusion,

Nah Ancel already said it will be build around the same pillars/basics as the first game such as stealth.
It's coop and the idea is everyone is able to do their own thing. He said in one of the latest interviews it's about creating BGE with a world for itself like Zelda did or the Witcher3.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-17-2017, 03:58 PM
They have already confirmed and insisted on the fact that BGE2 won't be a MMORPG.

ElPrimordial
06-19-2017, 04:50 PM
I really hope they made it like Path of Exile or Diablo 3 when you can play the entire game alone but you have the choice to join other players in you want. Never mandatory, always optional.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-19-2017, 04:52 PM
I really hope they made it like Path of Exile or Diablo 3 when you can play the entire game alone but you have the choice to join other players in you want. Never mandatory, always optional.

It's their vision of the game right know. So you should be happy :)

Lyogron
06-19-2017, 09:31 PM
what does that mean?

I agree that it sounds abysmal. Thankfully at least one of the Ancel interviews (GameStar) has confirmed that the game can be played completely offline.

/edit December 24th, 2018:

...and they were wrong apparently.

lomomon
06-19-2017, 11:08 PM
I think that Ubi wants his own Destiny/Anthem game, and at the moment in my opinion, is what they are going to do with this sequel of BGE.

I would prefer a single player experience like the first game but time changes so I want to know more before make my mind, but I don't want to wait another 15 years to know more...

chadl123
06-20-2017, 02:01 AM
I think that Ubi wants his own Destiny/Anthem game, and at the moment in my opinion, is what they are going to do with this sequel of BGE.

I would prefer a single player experience like the first game but time changes so I want to know more before make my mind, but I don't want to wait another 15 years to know more...

It's already been confirmed that this isn't going to be online based like destiny or any sort of MMO.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Ubisoft's push in that direction may still be ongoing for Beyond Good & Evil 2, maybe even quite against Ancel's vision, so no harm in pushing back continuously. :)

I don't think that Ubisoft is pushing behind it and is forcing the team to do things they don't want to do.

They are creating the game they want, and if you think a bit about it, you realize that Ubisoft would had maybe prefered to have a game without online ... no servers or connection issues to care about ;)
Also don't forget that devs ARE Ubisoft and if sometimes the results are not here it can due to limitations (budget, time, ressources, ...).

chadl123
06-20-2017, 11:18 AM
I don't think that Ubisoft is pushing behind it and is forcing the team to do things they don't want to do.

They are creating the game they want, and if you think a bit about it, you realize that Ubisoft would had maybe prefered to have a game without online ... no servers or connection issues to care about ;)
Also don't forget that devs ARE Ubisoft and if sometimes the results are not here it can due to limitations (budget, time, ressources, ...).

Yeah, when you take into consideration how big this game is looking to be, it would make a lot more sense that Ubisoft would want to avoid having online play be a requirement.

Legion-495
06-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Yeah, when you take into consideration how big this game is looking to be, it would make a lot more sense that Ubisoft would want to avoid having online play be a requirement.
More like a addon. That is what they do with WatchDogs. To my knowledge Ubisoft was the one using/starting that seamless Multiplayer. If they make it better it could be a really good thing. Like a almost MMO like experience in terms of other players in your world, but still at its core a Singleplayergame. I think that is the goal with that feature.
That way the game is alive with other players.

Ubisoft's senseless push for every game to have artificial forced online stuff and awkward forced community interactions – with the Uplay client right at the start of the abyss – is what drove me away from the company eight years ago (pretty much exactly after PoP2008).

I would take no move of Ubisoft's with greater grace than the move away from all that online nonsense, I swear. :nonchalance:

True they really push weird stuff^^ And that online force in some games is really killer(like my Internet just disconnects and reconnects the next half second and IP change aaaand I'm out).
But we gotta give Ubisoft credit too(where it's deserved). Ubisoft is one of the very few big companies to work on new titles every year.
EA tried that and almost died, so they avoid it now. And SquareEnix got Sony.

chadl123
06-20-2017, 11:46 PM
More like a addon. That is what they do with WatchDogs. To my knowledge Ubisoft was the one using/starting that seamless Multiplayer. If they make it better it could be a really good thing. Like a almost MMO like experience in terms of other players in your world, but still at its core a Singleplayergame. I think that is the goal with that feature.
That way the game is alive with other players

They already said that they want to avoid turning this into an MMO

Kheops7
06-21-2017, 06:07 AM
Wow even if Ubisoft may look like the evil corp for some of you try to remember that each year they try to release at least a new ip/ new type of game they don't have know.
We can really say the same thing about other big editor.

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2016/11/20/beyond-good-evil-2-un-projet-fou-selon-son-concepteur-michel-ancel_5034588_4408996.html#
In this article (sorry it's french) we learn that Ancel almost leave ubisoft 4 years ago and it's just the promise from Guillemot to make another BGE that keep him working with them he already had at that time his own studio a game in production (Wild).
Ancel is by the way I think one of the few game developer which have a lot of freedom to create. At the moment the biggest threat to BGE 2 isn't ubi politic or any decision pushing to the game, but Vivendi.

Back to the topic, they created a native online game engine, yes we will have the possibility to play with other people, even though the dev said they had something like fifteen people in their intern game test i doubt it will go over twenty. He won't be a MMO think about it more like a gta online just to have fun with friend/other player.

Storywise they make it clear even though the game engine is natively design for online, he'd still be a solo experience they don't want to bind players to play online if they don't want to.

It's mostly certain that the space monkey program will focus on that part and the lucky one could give feedback about it, what could be implemented. They give some info like races, player mining some ressource. The online could have some nice feature like creating pirate clan, the possibility to take over a moon fortress to make it our base.

What I think where you might be reluctant is if the online player have too much benefit and if that breaks the immersion.
Imagine they didn't announce the game or make the monkey program they'd still working on it and one day we found the final game which something who doesn't make sense in term of gameplay or story immersion that could impact the game at it's release like mass effect andromeda (which is in my opinion a good mass effect) but many people abandon the game early on or just don't buy it.

Not many AAA games involved so soon in the development player, it's a great chance

Just keep in mind that we almost know nothing yet and most of us sign up to the space monkey program to see the game taking shape, discuss about it between us with the BGE team about what is great, what is lame, what had no need to be in the game from our gamer and bge fan point of view.