PDA

View Full Version : Equipment, shopping, looting and crafting

Kingy77
06-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Hello everyone!

Two of the important aspects of BGE2 I think must really be developed with care (aside with story, graphics, music, character design and... everything! ^^) are shopping and crafting features.
In BGE1, those features were quite simple and, one could say, "poor" compared to other adventure/RPG games.

Shopping/Looting: Items were very simple and symbolic and there were not many of them. However, they were very relevant to the story and gameplay, and their amount was well adjusted. I can't think of any BGE item that made me say, in the end of the game: "Oh, I have 32 of these and I just didn't need it at all...". I have so many examples of "speed potions" in other games that were totally useless, either because the combats were too easy or the object was to frequently dropped...

Crafting: Same goes for crafting. It was simple but story-relevant and efficient. You did not spend hours trying to earn items to improve some equipment, and you could focus on the story-telling.

What kind of new items would you like to see in BGE2?
What piece of equipment would you like to use?
To what degree would you like to be able to upgrade your equipment?
Could we come up with a new concept for shopping, looting and crafting that outmatches all the standard we see in most games?

rawwanimee
06-17-2017, 02:43 PM
I'd absolutely love to see that you could be able to buy Upgrades for your Camera!

FlorianRex
06-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Your ideas are good, I agree with the Shopping/Looting system, because make the game world "dynamic", like as Skyrim or others (oriented in aventure and simulation), and the crafting... mhm, I never used much the crafting system of the games because I am fine with the weapons that I find in the world, but I agree to apply crafting for do mission items like "craft an Propulsor V8", bueh, about crafting leave me out xD...

bl4ckgriffin
06-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Crafting for your character and crew mates depends on how taxing the combat system will be. If the combat remains the same then there realy isnt any point to if, but since the devs mentioned they want to build upon all aspects of the original i want crafting to be done to upgrade each crewmate equipment to make them better and each upgrade having visual changes to the starting gear the same way Witcher 3 did for the witcher school gear, that way each character keeps there distinctive look.

i want the same for vehicles we could own..... better shields, speed, weapons etc
I hope ye will get a few base crafting components and minerals that will be integral to all crafting in game and places where we can mine for those component, imagine going to a crater left by a meteor and find rare metals and the like.

Kingy77
06-17-2017, 09:01 PM
I really think crafting would be very important for the immersion of the game. Given the sci-fi/steampunk angle of the universe, you must be able to put your hands in the gears of your stuff and make it evolve!

If you think about it, those components were already part of the first game:
- Shopping: Well, almost everything had to be bought from Mamago (vehicles), or Ming-Tzu with the shop in the city.
- Looting: Almost all enemies were looting cristals, and some of them pearls.
- Crafting: You had to improve your camera, and then your hovercraft, in order to cross some obstacles or win some challenges.

It only has to start from this base, and gain in possibilities and freedom.
I think it could be interesting to be able to improve the vehicles with standard gear (like weaponry, shields... that could apply to all models of vehicles) and custom gear (new bodywork, new engine/propulsion, stickers...).
As for the weapons, close range or middle/long range, they would benefit from a little bit of improvement capabilities, but not too stuffy (I mean, we want one or two different kinds of scopes... not 36 kinds with boring "+5% damage" attributes). This way, the player could really find it interesting to invest in mini-games, gambling and secondary quest to get the piece of equipment he wants so bad!
Imagine, if such features were a little bit more present in BGE1: Jade would end up with a longer staff, made of steel and decorated with LEDs. Pey'j would get turbo-shoes that actually fly and a grapnel function for his wrench. The hovercraft could be red, with flames on the sides, guided missiles and an autopilot. :D

Mostly joking around on my last sentence, but I think you all get what I mean: crafting, yes, but not the hardcore-RPG kind with different capacity attributes and complicated stuff. Just gear and parts to get more abilities and make the need for secondary quests and mini-games more present.

Kingy77
06-17-2017, 09:11 PM
I'd absolutely love to see that you could be able to buy Upgrades for your Camera!
Yeah! With several objectives... fixed lenses, moving lenses... a new flash, a tripod, a bag, an extra set of battery...
And then when you've got all the camera's equipment, you can access the mission where you get hired as photograph for the wedding of a big mafia kingpin's daughter, in order to infiltrate them and gather secrets! :p

Started as a joke and could actually become a true interesting mission (but feels more like a GTAV story though.. LOL!).

Anyhow, improving the camera would definitely be interesting. In the first game we still had the extra zoom after playing 10 minutes and... that's it?!

FlorianRex
06-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Yeah! With several objectives... fixed lenses, moving lenses... a new flash, a tripod, a bag, an extra set of battery...
And then when you've got all the camera's equipment, you can access the mission where you get hired as photograph for the wedding of a big mafia kingpin's daughter, in order to infiltrate them and gather secrets! :p

Started as a joke and could actually become a true interesting mission (but feels more like a GTAV story though.. LOL!).

Anyhow, improving the camera would definitely be interesting. In the first game we still had the extra zoom after playing 10 minutes and... that's it?!

Donīt forget Jade donīt born yet (B:G&E2 is a pre-sequel), so for camera updates, I think we will have a character who likes cameras (like Jade's mother OR father ).

Kingy77
06-18-2017, 07:17 AM
Donīt forget Jade donīt born yet (B:G&E2 is a pre-sequel), so for camera updates, I think we will have a character who likes cameras (like Jade's mother OR father ).

Hum... Not sure why you're saying this about Jade, but yeah we will definitely have a photograph character.

A new feature for the camera could be, for example, selfies! ^^
I'm not a very selfie guy myself, but I think it could be fun to share pictures of yourself with stunning landscapes from distant planets, of in very awkward situations. :D

SuperBiscotCOT
06-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Like it's in Ghost Recon Wildlands, I would love to see Nvidia ANSEL for this game !

Ray970
06-18-2017, 07:50 PM
I think that crafting is not a good idea...depends what you mean with crafting. If you can find or buy object to improvvisamente something is ok bit if you have to search some elements to create an object I think it's little boring

Legion-495
06-18-2017, 08:01 PM
The game will now stick to new stuff you buy and a skilltree, because we already know XP is a thing.
I doubt too that a crafting system is in any way needed or nice to have in this game.

I could see making your ship more fancy and stuff but thats it. The first game didn't need looting or crafting and I don't really see why we should push it hardcore into this game. The important thing about the first game was, you had items with purpose only and that worked, I think, just fine. No complex stuff involved and that was super fine. We should avoid stuff that gets complicated.

We should super avoid bloating the game with features it never needed to be a good game. Especially about a loot system. Chances that gets kinda like a game we gotta grind in seems very bad.(I want to counter any argument here about looting. If you make a looting system you don't have to grind... why even make a looting system in the first place? Just only get what you need instead of a complex looting system) We have that one dude that sells what we need and done. Or steal what we need.
Lootsystems tend to get annoying over time and if a inventory limit is in it's even more frustrating. So my point is Ancels basic pillars of BGE for BGE2 are the things that avoid a Looting idea or crafting.
I do see like a small part where you put your shipparts together as possible but nothing else. We probably won't have much weapons either. Personal guess is we are down to one weapon that always suits the Situation.

Since Ancels BGE time is only early in the day, idk what his plans are, but I highly doubt that a Lootsystem for BGE was ever wanted or needed.(Although it should be a better sorted inventory than the first BGE^^). Maybe Ancel has other plans? I want to see his vision in the game before probably killing it^^

Kingy77
06-18-2017, 10:00 PM
The game will now stick to new stuff you buy and a skilltree, because we already know XP is a thing.
Really?? XP?! Where did you get that info? I'm not sure that XP is a good thing for BGE2 either...

I doubt too that a crafting system is in any way needed or nice to have in this game.

I could see making your ship more fancy and stuff but thats it. The first game didn't need looting or crafting and I don't really see why we should push it hardcore into this game. The important thing about the first game was, you had items with purpose only and that worked, I think, just fine. No complex stuff involved and that was super fine. We should avoid stuff that gets complicated.

We should super avoid bloating the game with features it never needed to be a good game. Especially about a loot system. Chances that gets kinda like a game we gotta grind in seems very bad.(I want to counter any argument here about looting. If you make a looting system you don't have to grind... why even make a looting system in the first place? Just only get what you need instead of a complex looting system) We have that one dude that sells what we need and done. Or steal what we need.
Lootsystems tend to get annoying over time and if a inventory limit is in it's even more frustrating. So my point is Ancels basic pillars of BGE for BGE2 are the things that avoid a Looting idea or crafting.
I totally agree with you when you say that the game must avoid anything over-complicated. Like I said in previous posts, statistics and stuff are a no-no for me on BGE. But gathering stuff from the corpse of you enemies is like kind of natural, don't you think? I don't want sheeps dropping ammo. But finding an interesting piece of equipment on a guy you just tracked across a quarter of the galaxy seems fair to me.

I do see like a small part where you put your shipparts together as possible but nothing else. We probably won't have much weapons either. Personal guess is we are down to one weapon that always suits the Situation.
Hum... did you count how many bullets flew in the trailer? Me, I couldn't. But there was a lot of them, and from many kinds of guns. I do think BGE2 will not have the same approach on weapons and, particularly, guns. As I said, I don't think a full arsenal is necessary, but a melee and a middle-long range weapon for each character, each one having his weapons of choice, could be interesting.

chadl123
06-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Really?? XP?! Where did you get that info? I'm not sure that XP is a good thing for BGE2 either...

I totally agree with you when you say that the game must avoid anything over-complicated. Like I said in previous posts, statistics and stuff are a no-no for me on BGE. But gathering stuff from the corpse of you enemies is like kind of natural, don't you think? I don't want sheeps dropping ammo. But finding an interesting piece of equipment on a guy you just tracked across a quarter of the galaxy seems fair to me.

Hum... did you count how many bullets flew in the trailer? Me, I couldn't. But there was a lot of them, and from many kinds of guns. I do think BGE2 will not have the same approach on weapons and, particularly, guns. As I said, I don't think a full arsenal is necessary, but a melee and a middle-long range weapon for each character, each one having his weapons of choice, could be interesting.

Everything here I can agree with.
Bad news is I'm pretty sure the XP system got revealed in an interview... rip
EDIT: We still don't know what said XP system is going to be used for though, so there's still hope.

FlorianRex
06-19-2017, 01:57 PM
If B:G&E 2 go with an EXP system I go to throw out the PC with the game, because I am tired of the games that have EXP system for solve the level system and go "ALL CLEAR"(without any advantage) in the missions, for example, I found in the map the most powerful weapon in the game, is my fault or the game is really bad with the organization of the objects in the map? So, I say if the game is good with a good level design, why they need to implant the EXP system?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go and visit the B:G&E 2 POLL !!

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1689737-How-do-you-want-to-be-Beyond-Good-and-Evil-2-(POLL)

Regards, Florian.

bl4ckgriffin
06-19-2017, 04:40 PM
i think everyone is overthinking and overcriticizing the XP factor, leveling up could be done in a way similar to Horizon zero dawn to add small buffs or new moves to the player like jade's power up attack updrade that you can purchase in the first game, or one extra heart, stealth takedown or other small benefits.
the same can be done to weapons, i also hope we dont have the classic +5% fire damage or other usual RPG stat boosts, i would rather have 3 updrade tiers or updrade pieces unique for each weapon obtained from quests ( killing an opponent takes one less hit per upgrade)

RastaMammago
06-19-2017, 07:45 PM
If B:G&E 2 go with an EXP system I go to throw out the PC with the game, because I am tired of the games that have EXP system for solve the level system and go "ALL CLEAR"(without any advantage) in the missions, for example, I found in the map the most powerful weapon in the game, is my fault or the game is really bad with the organization of the objects in the map? So, I say if the game is good with a good level design, why they need to implant the EXP system?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go and visit the B:G&E 2 POLL !!

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1689737-How-do-you-want-to-be-Beyond-Good-and-Evil-2-(POLL)

Regards, Florian.

Here is the interview where the XP system is announced! I don't think will be a problem, I believe in Ancel :cool:

Legion-495
06-19-2017, 08:07 PM
Here is the interview where the XP system is announced! I don't think will be a problem, I believe in Ancel :cool:

We all do AND in his team. I feel that the team somehow gets way underrated^^

SuperBiscotCOT
06-20-2017, 11:07 AM
We all do AND in his team. I feel that the team somehow gets way underrated^^

I give much more importance to the team behind it. Michel Ancel is just the "leader" of it but they are creating the game, all together and with their different skills and talents.
So we should more encourage to push the team that is behind it and not only Michel Ancel, because he is also part of that team, so you still encourage him :p

RastaMammago
06-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Right guys, I should have written about the Team, my fault! :p

SuperBiscotCOT
06-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Right guys, I should have written about the Team, my fault! :p

Haha don't worry I think it will need time until everyone see it as a wrk of a whole team ! ;)

Legion-495
06-20-2017, 05:53 PM

"gathering stuff from the corpse of you enemies is like kind of natural" Sure it's natural like GTA style. I kill the guy and get his money and ammo(Or a button to hold for looting, AC style and such)^^ There is no need to really loot it like active. I somehow have the feeling with Witcher or Skyrim like lootsystem I will end up using a Cheatengine or a mod to modify inventory just becuz I don't care anymore^^ This usually goes for any game where you reach top stuff over time. And it's a point to really screw up like MassEffect Andromeda(Inventory only).
Don't worry I'm not a cheater... and I wont do any modifing to the unfinished game. I respect this development.("Thank You-With all my heart"~Ancel to Eve at E3 stage 2017). I support that with all my heart, FullStop.

"Hum... did you count how many bullets flew in the trailer?" Sure I did count all... not really, but all of them(except two shots~even tho his gun has a bigger barrel^^) were fired from vehicles that have those guns. I would expect those vehicles to have A LOT ammo or unlimited shots like we had in the first BGE with the Hovercraft and Beluga.
I don't know if Knoxs Gun is a indicator(probably) but personally I don't we think we are tied to ammo in this world.

"melee and a middle-long range weapon" I see that also as possibility, but doubt to have a real choice about weapons.

Kingy77
06-24-2017, 07:45 AM
"gathering stuff from the corpse of you enemies is like kind of natural" Sure it's natural like GTA style. I kill the guy and get his money and ammo(Or a button to hold for looting, AC style and such)^^ There is no need to really loot it like active. I somehow have the feeling with Witcher or Skyrim like lootsystem I will end up using a Cheatengine or a mod to modify inventory just becuz I don't care anymore^^
No, I wasn't saying it was natural in the current AAA video-games, but rather that it would be natural, as a pirate, to search your enemy's pockets or backpack for gear, intel or evidence (after stunning him, if you preffer). After all, you're a pirate, you're struggling to climb-up the social piratery chain, and you're craving for money, weapons and gears (for the same objective). Be realistic: if it were you, would you just let the stuff lay in his pockets because "it is too GTA-like"? :D

"Hum... did you count how many bullets flew in the trailer?" Sure I did count all... not really, but all of them(except two shots~even tho his gun has a bigger barrel^^) were fired from vehicles that have those guns. I would expect those vehicles to have A LOT ammo or unlimited shots like we had in the first BGE with the Hovercraft and Beluga.
I don't know if Knoxs Gun is a indicator(probably) but personally I don't we think we are tied to ammo in this world.
Yeah, sure, but it is still a very long way from the cute laser beams and "plasma energy" canons of BGE1, to the bullet storm we see in the trailer. We could try and justify this with "OK, but in BGE1 we are in the future... bla bla bla" but still, we are definitely in a change of tone here. And the swearing is also a very big sign of that.

"melee and a middle-long range weapon" I see that also as possibility, but doubt to have a real choice about weapons.
I think we shouldn't have too many kinds a weapon too. If the gameplay gets too far into the "I need a bigger gun to defeat a bigger or more numerous enemy" mechanics, then we're not in BGE anymore. Jade was doing fine with her staff and disk-launcher. And those had a real importance for the general game mechanics (well, mostly for the disk launcher). Knox's gapnel-hand is a good example of a gear that could be used both for combat and exploration. All characters could have a similar component (grapnel, bow+rope, whip...). Basing the weapon system on a staff + pistol, or sword + bow combination would be more realistic, but with deadly weapons we get into a whole different world. Although, we all understood that BGE2's world was different, when we saw the trailer (character and scenery design, language, bullets...).