PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about coustom main character?

Ray970
06-16-2017, 09:23 AM
I read that players can create their own character as the main character of the game. Do you like this idea? And why the team have choose this feature instead to create a main character like Jade?
I don't like so much this idea because I think it's in contrast with the type of game and create a "different" story for each players that will be the base of beyond good and evil 1
I think that the team would not influenced the player's voyage during the main step of the story with the personality and the pasta of a character like Jade

Legion-495
06-16-2017, 09:40 AM
I think in BGE2 you should be seeing your character as yourself which is one of the keypoints.
You will see the flaws of those worlds and start to take action.
If making a hybrid is a option you are effected by all this.

IMO it is for immersion and the player will connect himself way better with the world. Building up your own thing, so to say.
And chances are super high you will be a keycharacter in the story.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-16-2017, 10:55 AM
It's just a normal evolution for BGE.
It gives you freedom and choices on your story own story. You create the background of your character they give you the backgroung of the worl and let you have fun with it :)

And what prevents you from creating an ancestor of Jade ? ;)

IRISNetwork
06-16-2017, 11:14 AM
It's just a normal evolution for BGE.
And what prevents you from creating an ancestor of Jade ? ;)

Canonincity, hopefully.

Don't get me wrong, I am on board with the idea of playing as our own customised character, and people are ofcourse welcome to 'pretend' in this RPG-esque game.

But I hope there is still a strong focus on canon, story and character within this 'playground', and they try to avoid any contradictions or ret-cons of the first game.

I don't doubt the story or characters won't be great, I just hope they are consistent to the bge universe we already know.

SuperBiscotCOT
06-16-2017, 11:30 AM
We don't know anything yet. We maybe able to play Dakini, who maybe linked to Jade as an ancestor. Who knows ?

What is sure it's that they know the word they created in BGE1. And this prequel offers a lot of opportunities, because it explains the fundations of it's world.

RastaMammago
06-16-2017, 12:11 PM
I know that it's too early to talk about how it will be the BGE2's sequel, but with this news of the custom protagonist I'm asking a few questions... :confused:

How BGE1 can connect to BGE2 with this decision, if we assume that BGE2's sequel will be right the remake/expansion of BGE1? :rolleyes:

Maybe the choice of a custom character will be only applied on this title and the sequel will see the return of Jade as the main character... Even though this sounds weird to me! :eek:

However I'm so excited about what the team will invent to solve this mystery! :cool:

PS: To make a Rasta Rhino Hybrid is my dream ;)

Ray970
06-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Yes I read new informations and I understand better how functions this feature and I like it and I think it's so interesting
But in this way the story of bge it isn't unique...maybe I'm not sure that is the better idea because for me a coustom character seems to not be a real character of that world

Ray970
06-16-2017, 03:02 PM
This is good and amazing,but how they can connect different player's stories with an unique story that we play in bge1

Wi1d.Card
06-16-2017, 03:53 PM
I think this feature added just because of multiplayer...

Borunowy
06-16-2017, 06:19 PM
I love the idea , it is one of many acceleration points of the main theme of the game "FREEDOM" . I dont know if the backstory is going to be bound for our character , if this is going to happen then the variation of choice is a must be . Characters need some sort of background , to make some bonds with them . My true question about custom character is how much we can personalize them , in the creation and through the game

SuperBiscotCOT
06-16-2017, 07:43 PM
I think this feature added just because of multiplayer...

No, because in other games if you are in multiplayer :
You see yourself as the main character, and you friend as a secondary random one.
Your friend see himself as the main character and you as a secondary, random one.

An example ? Watch Dogs 2 seamless multiplayer component :)

Legion-495
06-16-2017, 08:36 PM
I know that it's too early to talk about how it will be the BGE2's sequel, but with this news of the custom protagonist I'm asking a few questions... :confused:

How BGE1 can connect to BGE2 with this decision, if we assume that BGE2's sequel will be right the remake/expansion of BGE1? :rolleyes:

Maybe the choice of a custom character will be only applied on this title and the sequel will see the return of Jade as the main character... Even though this sounds weird to me! :eek:

However I'm so excited about what the team will invent to solve this mystery! :cool:

PS: To make a Rasta Rhino Hybrid is my dream ;)

"How BGE1 can connect to BGE2 with this decision" You are a important side character of the whole story. I think our character will die or left behind for the sake of saving others or similar.
By that I consider that Pey'j tried to get away from all that and we probably help at the Prequel.

Btw I highly doubt a remake of the first game. But I would really like it if they polish it in technical terms to run it flawless on newer hardware. The game is old true, isn't that fancy and it still plays really awesome. There are super few games that are that well preserved with good controls. Like never touch a running system, it would probably fail somewhere if they reworked it.
Even for new people to the second game, the first should still be good enough for them :)

Legion-495
06-16-2017, 08:44 PM
No, because in other games if you are in multiplayer :
You see yourself as the main character, and you friend as a secondary random one.
Your friend see himself as the main character and you as a secondary, random one.

An example ? Watch Dogs 2 seamless multiplayer component :)

We should wait on that. I think that is one of the biggest flaws of that Multiplayer function.
I think it can't be that hard to actually display the created character.

bl4ckgriffin
06-17-2017, 10:01 AM
If we will be given the option of picking races i hope they will do a short playable section that presents our backstory ( look at Dragon Age Origin - origin storyes for the choices you make based on race and social class), because if we start from the same place regardless or our choice, the character creator becomes a pointles and included just because the majority of players prefer to make there own avatar.

danskmosdal
06-17-2017, 02:51 PM
I would hate that, costumizable characters is okay in an mmo where they canīt all look the same. but I can imagine it would be hard to actually connect to a character which apperently is so unimportant as it could be anyone. I mean I really doubt we would have connected to jade that much if it was a customizable character. I mean it only just worked for mass effect because everyone called shepard by his last name but imagine going through the intire game where everyone only adress you as: "you, he/him she/her" a total disconnection in my book

Legion-495
06-17-2017, 03:44 PM
I would hate that, costumizable characters is okay in an mmo where they canīt all look the same. but I can imagine it would be hard to actually connect to a character which apperently is so unimportant as it could be anyone. I mean I really doubt we would have connected to jade that much if it was a customizable character. I mean it only just worked for mass effect because everyone called shepard by his last name but imagine going through the intire game where everyone only adress you as: "you, he/him she/her" a total disconnection in my book

You forgot something.
I give you two words. "Shauni" and Fallout4. I explain what I mean by that.

Fallout 4 had several names spoken in and to my surprise I ran into one too by playing the game.
In the first game Jade gets named "Shauni" for her actions at IRIS. We could see similar here and maybe you get a nice nickname.

You just could be the "Boss" like in MetalGear many call Snake the Boss or even SaintsRow which had a ton of games. I don't see it as a real issue. There are a ton of workarounds.
I would be totally cool with being the nameless guy that does stuff and nobody really knows me and in the end you saved them all or something^^

Makeiks
06-17-2017, 04:02 PM
I like customization but I do not like to create a character. A character without a voice, or a generic voice that does not match with the appearance. And sometimes the facial animations are horrible and do not match even more if you create other races.(I'm talking about other experiences I have in MMO and other games.)

Legion-495
06-17-2017, 04:18 PM
I like customization but I do not like to create a character. A character without a voice, or a generic voice that does not match with the appearance. And sometimes the facial animations are horrible and do not match even more if you create other races.(I'm talking about other experiences I have in MMO and other games.)

Well about voice work. We don't know if recording is already going, but I don't even expect voices to be a thing in the first tests we get to have.
We need to ask about that next week.

FlorianRex
06-17-2017, 07:21 PM
I prefer to play with the characters of story than create my frightening character v: ... pfff, customizable character or a good story... I donīt say it will be imposible but this game is a Pre-Sequel of Beyond Good and Evil 1, this isnīt a Borderlands or a Skyrim, and I want to play a good game with a good story no a RPG D: (so I donīt like the customizable characters on this game)

And if you refered to customizable story characters, like change their clothes, weapons, hair.... yeah....

bl4ckgriffin
06-17-2017, 07:24 PM
You forgot something.
I give you two words. "Shauni" and Fallout4. I explain what I mean by that.

Fallout 4 had several names spoken in and to my surprise I ran into one too by playing the game.
In the first game Jade gets named "Shauni" for her actions at IRIS. We could see similar here and maybe you get a nice nickname.

You just could be the "Boss" like in MetalGear many call Snake the Boss or even SaintsRow which had a ton of games. I don't see it as a real issue. There are a ton of workarounds.
I would be totally cool with being the nameless guy that does stuff and nobody really knows me and in the end you saved them all or something^^

i don't really see how nicknames can be a problem. From what i remember Jade picks the codename Shauni it isn't imposed on her, and since you will be in the pirate crew you could get a simple nickname like "the kid", the new guy, or like you said Boss, commander, captain etc. I'd prefer each possible character choice to have a given name.
In the end i prefer having multiple origin stories ( it would help replayability) than small problems over names.

MagicElmo
06-18-2017, 07:46 AM
I have no preference between the two.

I have seen games where it was really beneficial to play a custom character and where it didn't work.
But I can say the exact same playing a pre-made character.

Good stories can be told with custom made characters too and on a first glance it makes sense for BGE2 to go with custom characters.
It's too early to be concerned yet I honestly believe.

Ray970
06-18-2017, 07:34 PM
I would that Michel Ancel explains better this thing,if is the better choice for him and how works it
Maybe someone could ask him these questions on instagram

Mather94
06-18-2017, 09:32 PM
I m not again the idea of custom the character. But I think, one of the most important thing in BGE universe is the story. And to have a good story, your character is definitively a central point. And I hope you all see BGE2 as a great story before the rpg / custom character aspect.