PDA

View Full Version : The resurrection of For Honor

Wolf-Heathen
06-15-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm tired of all the "FH is dead" posts. We all recognize this, but I, like many others, still enjoy the basic concept FH was trying to achieve. So I want to share what I believe Ubisoft needs to do to fix For Honor. The long and short of it is that FH has been mismanaged right out of the gate when it first was launched. We're left with a game that is like a leaky boat with the devs desperately trying to patch the leaks, but for every one they fix, three more pop up.

You need to fix the two core problems with this game that have plagued FH since it's release; balance and online stability. These aren't easy fixes, and Ubisoft execs are going to have to throw some serious money at the game if they want it to succeed. You cannot continue with your current development cycles and ever hope to get in front of the many, many issues this game currently has. And the more time/resources you spend trying to fix problems, the less can be spent on new and interesting content for the user experience. Forget about ornaments, forget about new costumes, and forget about executions. You need to focus all your energy on balance and connectivity. That is what drove people away. Some of us stuck with it for longer than others, but everyone reaches a tipping point.

Goofy mood effects or ornaments aren't going to bring people back, people who left because they were fed up with stuff like the ridiculous Centurion's cut scene of death. You know, where you can't do anything, and are forced to watch your character get rag-dolled for 5 seconds while your screen jarringly shakes. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be fired. You never want to put players in a situation where they are helpless to respond to what is happening to them. It is just bad design.

Once you can get these two major issues dealt with, you need to relaunch the game to highlight these changes. By that I simply mean a big event to promote the change. But you need to be clear and precise that this is a major overhaul of the game. You can make it coincide with the launch of a new season but what players really need to see from you is a serious and concerted effort to address the issues that are adversely effecting players' experience in FH. Up until now there has been a somewhat contemptuous attitude when critical issues are highlighted to the FH team. Typical responses as seen on the livestream were to brush off the issue, stating your data doesn't support what the community says, or in other cases that you need more data before you will acknowledge the issue at all. Players are not happy with the state of FH. Now I'm not saying that you need to cede to the wishes of everyone who has a bad game and complains about class X, but FH needs a serious departure from the way things have been going so far for it to get back on its feet.

Sekiro...
06-15-2017, 08:39 PM
If lawbringer, centurion and valk dont get any nerf soon this game will die before christmans

SplugeKing
06-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Didn't read but simple answer: get rid of centurion.
Then change spamables and gimmicks so they can't be used continuously and so they don't render you useless for all of the 30 seconds you're on your back then dead.
Then make connections better and balance matchmaking. I shouldn't have to restart my xbox before i play every day if i don't want to lag out or have every other chars be bots

Rikuto01.tv
06-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Centurion is fine. Playerbase is garbage though, they could use a buff.

MadCYclops
06-15-2017, 10:50 PM
good sentiment, but it's never gonna happen this games playerbase is gonna dwindle down until there is 2 dudes left stuck in a perpetual duel match never seeing or playing against anyone else... I love this game mind you... but really...yeah nothing will change so i just have to deal with the fact that Ubisoft will never admit what they did wrong about like mass effect andromeda never will, but they WILL however gladly place the blame EVERYWHERE but themselves like a small child.

Those fat lumberjack piggies will never be men, because they lack the balls to stand up and admit the truth. I'm 38 and i'm pretty sure i had more balls before i hit puberty than these developers do...granted as i said they are not the only ones, every game that has issues nowadays blames the prob on everything but the perpetrator.

This generation of consoles has been such a let down... buggy game afeter buggy game after buggy game... in the past usually console games get better as they age... but ps4, xbox 1 hasn't and its a damned shame... when a console is hitting its golden years... it should be pumping out nothing but flawless games, but these developers have somehow ingrained it into weak minded individuals that a "buggy game is the standard".... yeah try that in ANY other field and you'll be jobless... oh heres a 2019 ford truck... its the best ford truck we have ever made with new innovations.... buuuuuut there is a glitch in it where you can only drive in a straight line... i'm sorry but we are investigating the problem and we will have it patched 6 months down the road.... DOn't you love our new truck it has sooo many safety features and paint jobs... oh here look buy the newly redesigned chrome bumper.... oh i'm sorry we accidentally made it from wax paper...wait 6 months for us to resolve the problem...smh

meanwhile there 20 fan boys over there screamin you just need to learn how to drive better to get around the fact you can't turn the steering wheel...

CaptainGadriel
06-15-2017, 11:35 PM
I took a break of 1 month and I have to say Im a little bit surprised there are still connections problems. Thats my main complain. And I think thats really what killed a lot of the community (I play on pc).
I returned from my break along with two friends. One is still playing with me to do orders and the other just quitted again because of the constant disconnections.
I really enjoy the game.. when it works. I even continue fighting when I get matched against superior enemies with better gear and more experience than me. But those dc's are the main problem, beyond the balance and mm.

CaptainGadriel
06-15-2017, 11:39 PM
I took a break of 1 month and I have to say Im a little bit surprised there are still connections problems. Thats my main complain. And I think thats really what killed a lot of the community (I play on pc).
I returned from my break along with two friends. One is still playing with me to do orders and the other just quitted again because of the constant disconnections.
I really enjoy the game.. when it works. I even continue fighting when I get matched against superior enemies with better gear and more experience than me. But those dc's are the main problem, beyond the balance and mm. At least for me.
Hope they fix those problems soon.. I beginning to notice Im fighting against the same players at night. And thats because of the low pop..
I really want to see this game fixed. I love it.

JibletHunter
06-15-2017, 11:46 PM

Enjoy playing alone (I am sure it wont be a big change from your normal routine).

UbiNoty
06-16-2017, 12:12 AM
Thank you for your input. Improving balance and stability are definitely two of our biggest goals and we're slowly trying to work our way there. If we could have one giant overhaul that would fix all the problems we would definitely like to have that too, but it's not quite so simple.

Balance - balance will always be an ongoing issue. Perfect balance is incredibly difficult and becomes even more difficult when we have to consider balance across different game modes. Believe me, we are in no way disregarding your feedback on balance as a community. But balance changes take time if we want to try to at least make sure we're doing the right thing. We are doing our best to respond as quickly as we can to community feedback about balance issues, but we do also like to have the supporting data as well in order to back up and confirm that we are making the right decision with the changes we make.

Connectivity - definitely still a major project that we're working on. We've seen incremental improvements as of late, and we hope that the quit-penalty will work to improve it even further (we're sorry about all the bugs that join-in-progress caused, which is why we disabled it temporarily again) - but we have even bigger changes planned that we hope will help us see a big leap in improvement. It's still being worked on so we can't give out any specifics just yet, but I just wanted to let you know that we're most assuredly not slacking off on this front.

That being said, I do appreciate that you took the time to write up your sentiments and thoughts. I just wanted to give you a bit of insight into our thought process and our perspective on these two topics. Always feel free to comment/expand further if you like on what you think could be improved on!

Mia.Nora
06-16-2017, 12:41 AM
Whatever happens is just baby steps, but the game is not a baby anymore. Whatever is being done.. too little too late, game needs those big jumps.

It is about time it was supposed to be up and running and we are still at the stage it falls back on its *** at every attempt on bipedal locomotion....

EDG_Avocado
06-16-2017, 02:18 AM
Thank you for your input. Improving balance and stability are definitely two of our biggest goals and we're slowly trying to work our way there. If we could have one giant overhaul that would fix all the problems we would definitely like to have that too, but it's not quite so simple.

Balance - balance will always be an ongoing issue. Perfect balance is incredibly difficult and becomes even more difficult when we have to consider balance across different game modes. Believe me, we are in no way disregarding your feedback on balance as a community. But balance changes take time if we want to try to at least make sure we're doing the right thing. We are doing our best to respond as quickly as we can to community feedback about balance issues, but we do also like to have the supporting data as well in order to back up and confirm that we are making the right decision with the changes we make.

Connectivity - definitely still a major project that we're working on. We've seen incremental improvements as of late, and we hope that the quit-penalty will work to improve it even further (we're sorry about all the bugs that join-in-progress caused, which is why we disabled it temporarily again) - but we have even bigger changes planned that we hope will help us see a big leap in improvement. It's still being worked on so we can't give out any specifics just yet, but I just wanted to let you know that we're most assuredly not slacking off on this front.

That being said, I do appreciate that you took the time to write up your sentiments and thoughts. I just wanted to give you a bit of insight into our thought process and our perspective on these two topics. Always feel free to comment/expand further if you like on what you think could be improved on!
why cant you guys just add servers? WHY? o w8 nvm. U guys never planned to keep For Honor as a growing game. mb mb

BeefMan_
06-16-2017, 02:20 AM

Agreed. I, for one, enjoy fighting turtlelords who punish your smallest mistake with 60dmg and an exhaust.

Netcode_err_404
06-16-2017, 02:21 AM
Agreed. I, for one, enjoy fighting turtlelords who punish your smallest mistake with 60dmg and an exhaust.

Are you that brave ? Why don't you join the army ? Im sure they could need brave souls like you.

salekr
06-16-2017, 02:33 AM
I'm tired of all the "FH is dead" posts. We all recognize this, but I, like many others, still enjoy the basic concept FH was trying to achieve. So I want to share what I believe Ubisoft needs to do to fix For Honor. The long and short of it is that FH has been mismanaged right out of the gate when it first was launched. We're left with a game that is like a leaky boat with the devs desperately trying to patch the leaks, but for every one they fix, three more pop up.

You need to fix the two core problems with this game that have plagued FH since it's release; balance and online stability. These aren't easy fixes, and Ubisoft execs are going to have to throw some serious money at the game if they want it to succeed. You cannot continue with your current development cycles and ever hope to get in front of the many, many issues this game currently has. And the more time/resources you spend trying to fix problems, the less can be spent on new and interesting content for the user experience. Forget about ornaments, forget about new costumes, and forget about executions. You need to focus all your energy on balance and connectivity. That is what drove people away. Some of us stuck with it for longer than others, but everyone reaches a tipping point.

Goofy mood effects or ornaments aren't going to bring people back, people who left because they were fed up with stuff like the ridiculous Centurion's cut scene of death. You know, where you can't do anything, and are forced to watch your character get rag-dolled for 5 seconds while your screen jarringly shakes. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be fired. You never want to put players in a situation where they are helpless to respond to what is happening to them. It is just bad design.

Once you can get these two major issues dealt with, you need to relaunch the game to highlight these changes. By that I simply mean a big event to promote the change. But you need to be clear and precise that this is a major overhaul of the game. You can make it coincide with the launch of a new season but what players really need to see from you is a serious and concerted effort to address the issues that are adversely effecting players' experience in FH. Up until now there has been a somewhat contemptuous attitude when critical issues are highlighted to the FH team. Typical responses as seen on the livestream were to brush off the issue, stating your data doesn't support what the community says, or in other cases that you need more data before you will acknowledge the issue at all. Players are not happy with the state of FH. Now I'm not saying that you need to cede to the wishes of everyone who has a bad game and complains about class X, but FH needs a serious departure from the way things have been going so far for it to get back on its feet.

This will never happen.
The BIG fix!

Devs will make some small steps and that is it. Game is broken and will stay broken.
It would take a lot of time and money for them to revamp the whole game.

Wolf-Heathen
06-16-2017, 02:55 AM
This will never happen.
The BIG fix!

Devs will make some small steps and that is it. Game is broken and will stay broken.
It would take a lot of time and money for them to revamp the whole game.

That was kind of the point I was trying to highlight, in an effort to illustrate to Ubisoft that they realistically have two options for the future of FH. They can continue the status quo, and watch the player base bleed out until it's no longer profitable to support the game, or they can shake things up and put the resources needed to fix this game. It is clear that this game was rushed, and also a well know practice that Ubisoft has strict launch dates for their titles and projected profit targets that they expect to be met. But this method is what has lead to such a sad state. It needed more time in the oven. If they have ever wanted this game to be a success then they need to do the latter. I have heard from an employee that among the higher ups in Ubisoft, FH is considered an embarrassment. If this game is to be saved then you really need to allocate more resources to the FH Ubisoft dev team so they fix this game.

Reinborn
06-16-2017, 03:05 AM
If lawbringer, centurion and valk dont get any nerf soon this game will die before christmans

What, what, what? Lawbringer needs a nerf all of sudden? It was just 2 days ago that he was considered lower tier hero not only because of his slow guard switch but mainly due to his lack of damage compared to other heroes and predictability. All it took for him to be in need of a nerf was to set his guard switch speed to an average speed that every other hero has?
I get that Centurion nerf, even though his moves get readable after some time, he still punishes too hard. Valk on the other hand is only annoying if you fail to parry her follow-up attacks before the sweep comes in. Parrying her is now more doable since the last few characters got their guard switch speed set properly.

Antonioj26
06-16-2017, 03:09 AM

why would valk need a nerf? the guard switch changed nothing for her, shes always had a 100 ms guard switch.

BeefMan_
06-16-2017, 03:13 AM
What, what, what? Lawbringer needs a nerf all of sudden? It was just 2 days ago that he was considered lower tier hero not only because of his slow guard switch but mainly due to his lack of damage compared to other heroes and predictability. All it took for him to be in need of a nerf was to set his guard switch speed to an average speed that every other hero has?
I get that Centurion nerf, even though his moves get readable after some time, he still punishes too hard. Valk on the other hand is only annoying if you fail to parry her follow-up attacks before the sweep comes in. Parrying her is now more doable since the last few characters got their guard switch speed set properly.

A character with 10 million hp and a 50/50 off of every block is low tier?
Valk is annoying because her light spam is barely reactable on console, let alone everything else she can mixup into.

Antonioj26
06-16-2017, 03:16 AM
A character with 10 million hp and a 50/50 off of every block is low tier?
Valk is annoying because her light spam is barely reactable on console, let alone everything else she can mixup into.

shes more than reactable with deadzone adjustments being a thing and now with the guard switch change its even easier.

BeefMan_
06-16-2017, 03:30 AM
shes more than reactable with deadzone adjustments being a thing and now with the guard switch change its even easier.

If you say so.

Antonioj26
06-16-2017, 03:33 AM
If you say so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHkHjoLGlc&t=321s
doing it right here with a level 3 bot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymOx5pFmpI4
here it is with a level 3 pk bot

happy to show on humans too I just dont have any footage yet but will make some if someone wants to do some friendlies on PSN

BeefMan_
06-16-2017, 03:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHkHjoLGlc&t=321s
doing it right here with a level 3 bot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymOx5pFmpI4
here it is with a level 3 pk bot

happy to show on humans too I just dont have any footage yet but will make some if someone wants to do some friendlies on PSN

Are you playing on PC? That video looks like it's being played in slow motion.
Either I need a new TV or FH needs a 60fps optimization patch

Antonioj26
06-16-2017, 03:40 AM
Are you playing on PC? That video looks like it's being played in slow motion.
Either I need a new TV or FH needs a 60fps optimization patch

no thats playstation, you can tell from the quick chat button being L1, I will say I played on PC the other day and it really is night and day. It almost feels way too slow, I realize its the same speed but being able to perceive those movements makes it look like even the fastest attacks are turtle speed.

That_guy44
06-16-2017, 06:21 AM
I haven't had any trouble with light spam in the last day. The deadzone modifier and guard change speed buff has really helped with defense. I've noticed a lot more blocking(from me) going on compared to months past. I'm glad I'm not on pc. If the blocking is better on console, it must be boring as **** on pc now lol

bananaflow2017
06-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Will this game have 60 fps with the new Xbox?

T_Sesh
06-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Artists working on ornaments and mood effects have no business inserting themselves in balancing and networking fixes. They work on those things because things like that EARN MONEY. For as much as fixing long term problems like networking and balancing would help player population, they still need ways to make money while problems like that are fixed, and to justify giving maps, characters, and modes for free.

DaLokTik
06-16-2017, 08:34 PM

I agree 100% with this post. The division saved itself doing basically what you have said above. They delayed their DLC releases and really put forth the effort to fix the division. And I believe that effort saved the division and won their community back. I believe UBISOFT would have learned a valuable lesson from the division, but sometimes people always choose the hard way. With that said, I think if UBISOFT put the future DLC on hold including all the cosmetic's stuff and just focus all your efforts on correcting "Balance & Stability". I truly believe this will win back a lot of players who have left for something else.