PDA

View Full Version : Photos of FarCry 5 Map editor!

emrdesign
06-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I saw these pictures of the map editor in Far Cry 5 in an IGN video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqFNKG-z1AA) Not sure if we will get the same editor with the same functionality of course, but at least we have some pictures of it.

http://www.emr-design.com/websites/fc5/mapeditor1.jpg

http://www.emr-design.com/websites/fc5/mapeditor2.jpg

akilyoung
06-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Interesting things in there, like Prophet? Joe Browser? Second database?

Is this the IGE or their actual engine? It does seem like their IGE, but it has Falls End or whatever it was called loaded in, but there IS a map boundary on it.

Was Falls End a fake town, made in the IGE, just to show off for E3? and not even part of the game? Are they THAT far behind on making the game? Did they just do that in order to keep players only in that area of the map (just a cheap way to give players a demo of the game, without actually going into the game)?

This makes me have more questions than answers.

akilyoung
06-14-2017, 02:50 PM
btw thanks for posting.

emrdesign
06-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Interesting things in there, like Prophet? Joe Browser? Second database?

Is this the IGE or their actual engine? It does seem like their IGE, but it has Falls End or whatever it was called loaded in, but there IS a map boundary on it.

Was Falls End a fake town, made in the IGE, just to show off for E3? and not even part of the game? Are they THAT far behind on making the game? Did they just do that in order to keep players only in that area of the map (just a cheap way to give players a demo of the game, without actually going into the game)?

This makes me have more questions than answers.

I think it is their IGE, but I think they said we would get more options/tools in the map editor, so maybe it will look more like this IGE. Falls End might be in the actual game, or maybe it was a especially built for E3 or maybe it is their test city environment. I think it does not matter so much what it is. I am sure they are not behind on their schedule of making the game. As otherwise they would not have mentioned the actual release date.

Mathias338
06-14-2017, 04:07 PM
It's actually not the map editor of Far Cry 5, but a highly-modified version of the Dunia 2 game engine :)

We will talk about the map editor features and look + vision more extensively in the future.
But I can already tell you these are not screenshots of the editor. The map editor is a tool dedicated to creating custom maps and has different options & menus than the game engine.

Hope it answers your questions!

emrdesign
06-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Would be very nice to get the same options & menus in the map editor, or maybe you can let us have the Dunia 2 game engine. ;) We will promise not to break it and not build Far Cry 6 before you do. :p

akilyoung
06-14-2017, 06:03 PM
It's actually not the map editor of Far Cry 5, but a highly-modified version of the Dunia 2 game engine :)

We will talk about the map editor features and look + vision more extensively in the future.
But I can already tell you these are not screenshots of the editor. The map editor is a tool dedicated to creating custom maps and has different options & menus than the game engine.

Thank you for clarifying! Its funny, cause it totally looks like a feasible IGE for the PC, nothing I saw in the menus seems crazy, just seems like IGE stuff, organized differently. Shows you how similar the IGE tools are to the Devs tools!

legacyzero
06-14-2017, 10:43 PM

Man, I tried hard to get information out of the Devs there at the Ubi booth at E3, and they caged up tight lol. Demo was fun!

CZ-BackPa
06-16-2017, 09:43 AM

Hello, so this means, Far Cry 5 is using modified Dunia Engine 2, right?

usmovers_02
06-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Mildly disappointed the IGE wasn't mentioned at E3. Kinda afraid we're gonna get the same last second treatment. Next up they'll show off co-op, then with a month to go they'll show off 5v5 weird MP with no TDM or CTF, then with a week to go we'll get a map editor trailer and absolutely no news of the lobby system. I want to be hopeful but history has repeated itself with this franchise.

Mathias338
06-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Mildly disappointed the IGE wasn't mentioned at E3. Kinda afraid we're gonna get the same last second treatment. Next up they'll show off co-op, then with a month to go they'll show off 5v5 weird MP with no TDM or CTF, then with a week to go we'll get a map editor trailer and absolutely no news of the lobby system. I want to be hopeful but history has repeated itself with this franchise.

Just to re-assure you, because I know it's such an important topic for the Far Cry community: we will talk much more about the map editor at a later stage :)

We didn't forget you and we certainly want to give the editor a lot of love & coverage as well.
We just needed to choose the best time & moment for that. That time will come!

Also, let's not forget that there is still 8 months before the release date, meaning we have a lot time left to present it in details.

From a personal perspective, I also remember how it may have been presented in previous versions.
I wasn't working on Far Cry 4 at the time (I helped Ari & Kim - the 2x former ComDevs - launch it though) + and then I moved onto Primal, which didn't have the editor. However - since then - I joined FC Map Facebook groups and talked a lot with some veteran members of the map building community, got their feedback, heard their comments about our communication, etc. So that's definitely a point I'll focus on improving moving forward. And hopefully, in 8 months time, you can tell me: "ok good job, we now much better understand and see what you have planned for the new tool and how much fun it's gonna be" :)

ImGonaG3tUsucka
06-16-2017, 11:12 PM
Just to re-assure you, because I know it's such an important topic for the Far Cry community: we will talk much more about the map editor at a later stage :)

We didn't forget you and we certainly want to give the editor a lot of love & coverage as well.

That is good to know Mathias, I am very happy to see that the map editor will get the spot light it deserves and I'm sure the community will be happy to see that..:)

Sknipester
06-17-2017, 05:38 AM

Also, let's not forget that there is still 8 months before the release date, meaning we have a lot time left to present it in details.

From a personal perspective, I also remember how it may have been presented in previous versions.
I wasn't working on Far Cry 4 at the time (I helped Ari & Kim - the 2x former ComDevs - launch it though) + and then I moved onto Primal, which didn't have the editor. However - since then - I joined FC Map Facebook groups and talked a lot with some veteran members of the map building community, got their feedback, heard their comments about our communication, etc. So that's definitely a point I'll focus on improving moving forward. And hopefully, in 8 months time, you can tell me: "ok good job, we now much better understand and see what you have planned for the new tool and how much fun it's gonna be" :)

That def is good to know. im one of those fans who is solely an online multiplayer type of guy... not into campaign or co-op at all. So the editor, map sharing, and lobbies are big to me. Lets not forget the popular escape map community for the map editor. This means an unlimited time setting for games, 16 ppl lobby (the more the better) and a high object limit would be huge. I actually havent bought a FC since FC2 because I heard the FC3 editor had no unlimited time setting and because the FC2 editor was superior. i made plenty of FC2 escape maps. Theres nothing like creating an escape map and watching others try to get to the end. And just searching 'escape' into the map searcher gave you an endless supply of escape maps. In FC2 they also had a spectator, free flying camera for the host so im hoping something like that will be in there. I dont care for making a campaign type editor to play with one person. I want to be able to create a map and play with many ppl at once and have that map searchable/downloadable. If yall just copy paste the fc2 map editor/lobbies/map searching system id be happy and would def buy the game. Thats great that you talked to the mm community and i hope it helps. I have hope :)

CAFFEIN8TED
06-17-2017, 06:08 AM

Mathias, totally agree with 8 months to go there is plenty of time to release more news/info concerning the editor, game modes, new features, etc... Makes total sense to release the main story/campaign info first @E3 before putting too much emphasis on the editor. Hope we see some editor news a few months before the reveal to wet the appetite and get the community hyped up and ready to create maps for the community on release, Feb 27th, 2018.

And hopefully, in 8 months time, you can tell me: "ok good job, we now much better understand and see what you have planned for the new tool and how much fun it's gonna be"

Keep it up and I'm sure you'll earn the communities thumbs up by launch.

akilyoung
06-17-2017, 02:54 PM

Thank you, we all appreciate that very much! www.battlemap.net is looking forward to this and having contests again!

RaZoRFINNISH
06-20-2017, 01:26 PM

Production editor that probably splits areas for multiple people to work on separate areas at the same time. The IGE is just a dumbed down version of the production editor (e.g. everything advanced and flexible removed from it)

Would like simultaneous map editing in the IGE too, and that's not even a huge effort to implement, assuming they implemented the IGE in a sensible manner in the first place.

EDIT: Their excuse for not releasing the full-featured production-tier editor with the game since Far Cry 2 has been pretty much "it's too complicated for the community", when it truly is not. Level designer jobs in studios aren't exactly the most demanding in terms of technical knowledge. And oh yes they could have a feature to author maps in the production-grade editor and publish them for all platforms- there's nothing stopping them doing this if they want to do it (unless Sony or Microsoft behave weirdly.)

emrdesign
06-25-2017, 10:26 PM
It is funny they said "it's too complicated for the community". They never gave it to us, so they can not say that. The editor they use for Far Cry 2, 3, 4 and 5 are simplified versions of the original CryEngine editor from Crytek. And many custom made maps were made with CryEngine for the original Far Cry, so saying the Dunia 2 editor is `too complicated for the community` is crazy!