PDA

View Full Version : Oleg: Add in numerical range values for the K-14 gunsight?

Saturnalia2
04-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Love the pit on the pony and thanks for giving us yet another thing to spend money on. I suggest throwing in a number attached to the range adjustment so that it is easier to align the gunsight with your preset convergence of the guns. Instead of displaying "Range Increased", why not add in a line detailing what range the gunsight is set to, i.e. "Range Increased to 180" or something similar. Just a minor suggestion.

Saturnalia2
04-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Love the pit on the pony and thanks for giving us yet another thing to spend money on. I suggest throwing in a number attached to the range adjustment so that it is easier to align the gunsight with your preset convergence of the guns. Instead of displaying "Range Increased", why not add in a line detailing what range the gunsight is set to, i.e. "Range Increased to 180" or something similar. Just a minor suggestion.

ASH at S-MART
04-05-2004, 05:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saturnalia2:
Love the pit on the pony and thanks for giving us yet another thing to spend money on. I suggest throwing in a number attached to the range adjustment so that it is easier to align the gunsight with your preset convergence of the guns. Instead of displaying "Range Increased", why not add in a line detailing what range the gunsight is set to, i.e. "Range Increased to 180" or something similar. Just a minor suggestion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>minor.. but good!

ASH HOUSEWARES
http://www.thecobrasnose.com/images4/brucecampbellSMart.jpg

|CoB|_Spectre
04-06-2004, 03:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Instead of displaying "Range Increased", why not add in a line detailing what range the gunsight is set to, i.e. "Range Increased to 180" or something similar. Just a minor suggestion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The K14 gunsight is accurately modeled in that you don't need to know the range, you adjust (increase/decrease) the circular diamond pattern to encompass the wingspan of the target aircraft. Since wingspans vary by model, they have general types selectable, though only Luftwaffe aircraft at this time. In reality, the pilot had a vernier on the throttle which controlled the range function and, just as in the sim, it took a couple of seconds for the gunsight to calculate the lead angle. Obviously the target will not stay steady, but once set it will be close enough if you don't let it get out of reason. If it moves too much, readjust it, track a couple of seconds and blast again. I don't find it's something that requires constant adjustment for accurate shooting.

EFG_Zeb
04-06-2004, 04:10 AM
yes the sight has to be set right after you ientify the type of the target. Set the span of that target (approximate if not one on the sight)

The other setting is the sight's increase/decrease distance, it changes the ring size yet again, thus changing the distance the sight is calibrated to predict impact...

Once this is set you dont have to mess with it during the fight really, exept if you go for a different type (reset span)...

I experimented and found out that whatever the type of target (once span is set accordingly), the decrease distance gave you about 200m and the increase distance gives you about 250m I believe. So I just set my gun convergence to 200 ro 250 m (not much of a choice)

It works really good but it will also give good results even if you are at longer or shorter range...

Saturnalia2
04-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Spectre, it is more of a desire to set the value once to coincide with your gun convergence and then fire when your target is at said range. More or less using the K-14 as a one-off range finder.

Blutarski2004
04-06-2004, 02:25 PM
The K-14 gunsight was reportedly good out to 600 or 700 yards in the hands of a good pilot. Not sure how gun harmonization would be set with this in mind.

BLUTARSKI

Eagle_361st
04-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Yes I would love to see the range displayed in some way. I have found it rather difficult to judge and usually just leave it and fire at close range. I hope it would be easy to implement, if not I am sure we would all understand.

~S!
Eagle
Commanding Officer 361st vFG
www.361stvfg.com (http://www.361stvfg.com)
http://home.comcast.net/~smconlon/wsb/media/245357/site1079.jpg

Chuck_Older
04-07-2004, 10:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saturnalia2:
Spectre, it is more of a desire to set the value once to coincide with your gun convergence and then fire when your target is at said range. More or less using the K-14 as a one-off range finder.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...but isn't this a non-issue?

How did you gauge range and convergence before the K-14 was in FB? The only difference in the K-14 is you can change the pipper size, but that doesn't stop you from knowing the range, roughly, just the same way you knew before the K-14 was in the sim.

Punk Rockers in the UK, they won't notice anyway. They're all too busy fighting for a good place under the lighting~ Clash

Aaron_GT
04-07-2004, 03:49 PM
How did the K14 work in practice? Did it
always come on with some sort of default
range settings, and was this default
changeable? I.e. would it be reasonable
to be able to set the initial K14 range
along with convergence in the set up screens?

I would presume that on the real thing (I
am sure I have seen this) there was a grating
showing range. So an onscreen message would
seem reasonable. An animation of the relevant
parts moving would be nice too, as a nice
eye candy extra (but I'd rather important
things be fixed first!)

Aaron_GT
04-07-2004, 03:50 PM
"..but isn't this a non-issue?

How did you gauge range and convergence before the K-14 was in FB? The only difference in the K-14 is you can change the pipper size, but that doesn't stop you from knowing the range, roughly, just the same way you knew before the K-14 was in the sim."

No - it's important to know what the K14 range
is set to get the best from the sight. In WW2
it was important to set the sight to the
correct range.

Chuck_Older
04-07-2004, 04:57 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Ah, but in WWII, the guns were not set to the same convergence all the time, and the K-14 gyro recticle (called a "pipper") was controlled manually by a twist grip on the throttle in a P-51.

I can beleive that in real life, the pipper was calibrated to be the correct size for the gun convergence as a default setting.

We don't have ground crew, so we must be clever http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

How would you set the convergence in a P-51 without a K-14? Or in an La-5? Or in a Bf-109?

Get ready to use that technique, whatever it may be, for setting convergence using a traditional fixed gunsight, for setting the correct pipper size in a Mustang or P-80 with a K-14 gunsight.

All set? OK, here we go...

1) Hop in a P-51D-20NA (or is it NT? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif whichever has the K-14 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ) in QMB, and use a Bf-109 as an adversary. Keep the gyro sight in "fixed" mode

2) Use whatver technique you choose to set convergence, whatever that range may be- use a track, or pause and "view enemy" as you fire, or whatever you like to make sure you are at your desired convergence. Now- this is the important bit- get on his six, at your convergence range. Remember where his wings are in the fixed recticle, when the center dot is right on his rudder. Remember this sight picture, it is what you will use to set the K-14. Are the wings almost touching each side of the recticle? Does the recticle circle cross his wings about halfway down their length? Whatever the relation is, remember it

3) when you are satisfied with that, refly that fight again, against the Bf-109. Turn the K-14 on to "fixed+gyro" and select "Bf109" on the sight. Now switch back to "fixed" mode

4) get on his tail, and at your convergence range (remember it from step 2), switch the K-14 to "fixed+gyro" mode. Slow down time if it's easier

5) while at your convergence range, switch the K-14 on to "fixed+gyro", and place the pipper on the enemy, so that the pipper dot is on his rudder as you hug his six

6) resize the pipper so that the Bf-109's wings stretch from one edge of the circle formed by the pipper's diamonds, to the other.

7) You are now calibrated to your gun convergence

8) after you shoot him down http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, fly straight and level and look at the pipper and it's relationship with the fixed recticle circle. Remember that relationship.

9) the next time you fly with the K-14 on gyro, select "Bf-109" before the bullets fly, and resize the pipper so that it is at the same relationship to the fixed recticle as in step 8.

10) now you can select any wingspan on the list, and it will be properly sized to the correct size, for that wingspan selected, and at your convergence range- you don't have to re-do it if you select a new target wingspan, the sight will re-size the pipper at the range you have "dialed in".

This is actually quite easy. A lot of players don't seem to understand that you do not need to know a range. All you have to do is set convergence normally, then re-size the pipper in gyro mode so that the target's wings are framed properly in the pipper. You are just matching sizes, if you set convergence normally and then just relate fixed recticle size to pipper size, you'll never even need to worry about range unless you want to try shooting outside your convergence. All the feature of selecting enemy aircraft does is expand or contract the pipper diamonds to relate to the wingspan of the target selected- which also means that you can use those values to shoot at aircraft not listed on the sight body of the K-14 with accuracy.

happy hunting http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Punk Rockers in the UK, they won't notice anyway. They're all too busy fighting for a good place under the lighting~ Clash

Aaron_GT
04-08-2004, 01:35 PM
"Ah, but in WWII, the guns were not set to the same convergence all the time"

You could ask the ground crew nicely I bet :-)

I see the logic of your ranging procedure,
but I'd assumed that the pipper size was reset
when you hit refly.

Anyone know what the pipper size changing
mechanism was on the Spitfire IX and XIV?

Chuck_Older
04-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Yes, the pipper would have to be reset every time you "refly", but if you know what size to make the pipper, it's a very quick adjustment