PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Music Confirmed!

Jarek23
06-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Edit - From Sarah Schachner herself.

https://twitter.com/SchachnerMusic/status/876136100946771968

"For those concerned about ambient music...there is lots."

30 mins of gameplay. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id4F5tDrx7U) - Has since been removed, don't bother clicking.

In the link above there is some substantial out of mission open world gameplay and there is no music. C'mon Ubi. I know it's just an alpha build but there is other music in the game and these days in gaming Alphas are Betas and Betas are release quality.

Seems like I make one of these every year and will continue to do so until Ubi starts putting ambient exploration music back into the games. Not just during missions, not when you're nearing a waypoint, but all out ambient music when wandering about the world collecting items, doing random stuff and just soaking in the world they created. Similar to AC1, 2, Bhood and BF.

Please bring Jesper Kyd back, or Brian Tyler or someone with some sense who knows how much music adds to the atmosphere and emotion of a game.

For those of you who like that there is no music, you always have the option of turning music off. For those of us who do like having it, we don't have the option of turning it on. Please respect that.

Edit: Some seem to have heard ambient music, I did not. But just to add what I did hear so there isn't confusion as to what is or isn't ambient music.

from what I heard there was no ambient music. There was dynamic and situational music. But that's different. such as going into combat and triggering music, or going near waypoints in previous games and hearing music, pulling out your eagle and hearing music, but again, that's dynamic, situational, not ambient.

AsimovVerne
06-12-2017, 03:29 PM
This is a big turn off for me. I love ancient egypt, is my ideal setting for assassin's creed but I will probably not play the game if there is no ambiental music.

And for me is Jesper Kyd or no one. I respect other composers, but no one can make the masterpiece Kyd done for this series. I still play AC 2 to this day and man, when I hear ezio family, or venice rooftops I instantly feel excited. I play this games mostly for historical tourism, and I love to walk in the city and hear those orchestra with angelic voice from Jesper Kyd.It makes me feel like I'm there, in those times. I hope ubisoft will bring back jesper kyd, if not for this game, then for the next one. sorry for my english, not my native language.

SlyTrooper
06-12-2017, 03:36 PM
It's painful to watch this guy play, but at least the game looks good.

wvstolzing
06-12-2017, 03:40 PM
I can't go back to check right now, but I remember having heard some ambient music during that demo -- and thinking that it must have been done by the same person who wrote AC4's music, because it was so similar in style.

Also, some of the dialogue audio was missing; so that might be the case for some of the music as well.

Speaking of Jesper Kyd -- the AC2 soundtrack is great, of course, and the overall tone set by AC1 is very powerful; but in ACB and ACR his work was nowhere as 'inspired' as the previous two soundtracks. So it's not an absolute given that he always produces masterpieces of the same level.

m4r-k7
06-12-2017, 03:41 PM
There is ambient music during this demo....

Jarek23
06-12-2017, 04:25 PM
I can't go back to check right now, but I remember having heard some ambient music during that demo

There is ambient music during this demo....

That's during a mission, I even mention that there is no music in out of mission gameplay, during exploration.

May as well tell me there's music during combat as well and pass that off as ambient exploration music.

wvstolzing
06-12-2017, 04:28 PM
That's during a mission, I even mention that there is no music in out of mission gameplay, during exploration.

May as well tell me there's music during combat as well and pass that off as ambient exploration music.

But there's music during combat; and that's also ambient exploration music.

m4r-k7
06-12-2017, 04:29 PM

Yes there was outside of missions. Even when he took out his eagle at the beginning, ambient music played as he was exploring...

Jarek23
06-12-2017, 04:30 PM
But there's music during combat; and that's also ambient exploration music.

No it's not.

That would be dynamic music.

Yes there was outside of missions. Even when he took out his eagle at the beginning, ambient music played as he was exploring...

You're talking about this demo right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0fd4q0baQ

The one that takes place entirely during a mission?

The video I linked, which has been removed spent a lot of time outside of missions, just exploring, walking around, riding a horse etc. There was no ambient music.

m4r-k7
06-12-2017, 04:34 PM
You're talking about this demo right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0fd4q0baQ

The one that takes place entirely during a mission?

The video I linked, which has been removed spent a lot of time outside of missions, just exploring, walking around, riding a horse etc. There was no ambient music.

No I am talking about the 25 minute demo that was removed.

Jarek23
06-12-2017, 04:38 PM
No I am talking about the 25 minute demo that was removed.

Well I'll hold off saying more until we get more gameplay videos, but from what I heard there was no ambient music. There was dynamic and situational music. But that's different. such as going into combat and triggering music, or going near waypoints in previous games and hearing music, pulling out your eagle and hearing music, but again, that's dynamic, not ambient.

m4r-k7
06-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Well I'll hold off saying more until we get more gameplay videos, but from what I heard there was no ambient music. There was dynamic and situational music. But that's different. such as going into combat and triggering music, or going near waypoints in previous games and hearing music, pulling out your eagle and hearing music, but again, that's dynamic, not ambient.

We will have to see more gameplay I guess, but I definitely heard music throughout, especially at the beginning, a really awesome piece of music was playing in the background when he was just on his horse and summoned the eagle.

rawr012
06-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Yeah, we definitely need ambient music. It's what made ACll so memorable for us, or for me at least, and this time period definitely needs it.

dave315252
06-12-2017, 08:50 PM
I SERIOUSLY hope you are mistake. Completely sick of this. EVERY year the fans cry out for ambient music for it but the devs seem to be so reluctant to feature it. They dont seem to realize the games are so interesting because of the atmosphere and setting. Hence why games like Unity and AC3 were so poorly recieved....they were soulless as you wandered around.

Games like Skyrim and witcher 3 all have ambient music and they benefit hugely from it.

I have hope however there will be. Black flag had ambient music in towns atleast, and its by the same team.....and they surely cannot be so misguided as to put NO ambient music in a game that is as huge as this (multiple towns, locations). Wandering around a land mass so huge in relative silence would be soul destroying

SofaJockey
06-12-2017, 10:35 PM
I dislike oppressive ambient music.

I had to dial it back in both The Witcher III and Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

In a huge game, it's easy to give too much, by all means use it for tension and key plot moments.

dave315252
06-12-2017, 10:53 PM
https://streamable.com/2ywn9

Here is some footage lads.

Good news and bad...whilst initially there seems no ambient music. Around the halfway mark he dives into the water and then some nice stuff starts playing. Strangely there is no sound effects when jumping in however, meaning there is certainly audio missing...perhaps more ambient stuff too.

Again. around the 3-quarter mark some nice ambient stuff plays....and again, once the cutscene plays there is no voices heard...only subtitles...meaning there is more audio missing.

ultimately we are clearly not getting the whole picture here....lets wait and see

AsimovVerne
06-12-2017, 10:56 PM
Well I'll hold off saying more until we get more gameplay videos, but from what I heard there was no ambient music.

I watch right now the gameplay video from IGN and unfortunately there is no ambience music...only dynamic and situational music like you said. Well, too bad for me, I have no interest to play it.

Around the halfway mark he dives into the water and then some nice stuff starts playing

That's amazing!! But if you watch ign video, they go into the water and there is no music

dave315252
06-12-2017, 11:34 PM
wrong!...ambient music is in guys...atleast some of the time....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-ubisoft-e3-2017-live-report

2.19:40 sec mark onwards...it seems to fade in and out during exploration....major cities we will have to see

2:28:20.....music comes in whilst roaming.

Great stuff...it does seem to fade in and out though

AnimusLover
06-14-2017, 12:22 PM
I am one of the few people who played Syndicate and didn't mind that the hood could only be equipped when in stealth mode, as that made perfect sense narratively.
But it seems all the whining has paid off so kudos to the fans.

I think it's now time to address many fans' complaints about the lack of ambient music.
The worst part is that what little music we did get in Syndicate was great but you only heard it on the roof tops.
I get that you want players to focus on the "sounds of the world" but you have to realise that the ambient music is very much a defining feature of the world too.
Nobody asked for ambient music to be taken away so I don't understand where this idea that it somehow subtracts from "real sounds" is coming from.
Assassin's Creed II and Witcher 3 managed just fine and the world still felt very much alive.
I mean, has anyone ever tried playing ACII with the music off? It's a different game.
I know for many people when thinking about ACII the first things that spring to mind are Ezio, the unique colour palette for each city and the music.
When I listen to a Tour of Venice is takes me right back to that feeling I had when I scaled the highest buildings.
I want to feel something like that again in an AC game.

rawr012
06-14-2017, 01:25 PM
I couldn't agree more! The ambient music in Assassins Creed 2 is what gave it it's own unique feel. I couldn't imagine that game without it. Ambient music definitely enhances the experience and makes travelling long distances less awkward and quiet. I imagine we will be travelling long distances through the desert and mountains and such in Egypt by the look of the Skyrim type map. Bring back ambient music Ubisoft!

flambeau2
06-14-2017, 05:29 PM
I don't tend to care for ambient music, I really enjoy hearing the sounds of the world (although I have to agree with you, TW3 got ambient music damn right, it was amazing). I hope that if they implement it they also allow us to control ambient music volume. IMO let the player decide how he wants to play his game is always the best decision

Bastiaen
06-14-2017, 08:52 PM
Ambient music is a MUST! I would love to have this return to the series.

WendysBrioche
06-14-2017, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure what ambient mnusic is exactly,

What I personally prefer is music that creeps in and out with relevance to the situation and in-game open world events.

Like Red Dead.

I do like a few moments of silence, here and there where I can just listen to the environment.

Jarek23
06-15-2017, 06:14 PM
wrong!...ambient music is in guys...atleast some of the time....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-ubisoft-e3-2017-live-report

2.19:40 sec mark onwards...it seems to fade in and out during exploration....major cities we will have to see

2:28:20.....music comes in whilst roaming.

Great stuff...it does seem to fade in and out though

A bit of hope, though there is still a lot of silence so I say it's still too early to tell.

Hopefully we get more videos up soon after E3.

I'm not sure what ambient mnusic is exactly,

What I personally prefer is music that creeps in and out with relevance to the situation and in-game open world events.

Like Red Dead.

I do like a few moments of silence, here and there where I can just listen to the environment.

RDR has ambient music, there are times where music just kicks in while doing nothing but riding around on your horse without a single objective, that's ambient music.

Here is a perfect example of it, comes and goes every couple minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou5g-qqQ_cs

Sorrosyss
06-15-2017, 07:22 PM
I've watched most of the videos the past few days trying to pick up on things, and there was one video in particular where there was no music at all for several minutes. So yeah, I join the concern here.

We all want the lengthy ambient tracks of old. I mean, just listen to City of Rome on ACB's soundtrack. A few seconds into it and you're visualizing the game world. We need that kind of association back.

If people don't like ambient music, lets have a simple "Loop music; On/Off". Then everyone's happy. I for one like the soundtrack on at all times. For games to be fully immersive, the music is a huge part of that for me.

crusader_prophet
06-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Having played and finished Horizon: Zero Dawn, it reminded me how much I miss ambient music in AC games. It adds a completely new dimension to the experience. Egypt could have easily used some flair by Jesper Kyd or Brian Tyler or Hans Zimmer or even Lorne Balfe.

This combined with an unknown writer (not necessarily a bad thing) is a bit iffy to me. But most of the things I've seen, I like them so I'm optimistic after long time about an AC game.

Ubi knows very well that there is no room for mediocrity here.

jellejackhammer
06-16-2017, 01:03 PM
after hearing the "in game menu ac theme" when you go to the inventory in origins,i realy wanted some parts of that soundtrack while just roaming around.

from what i have heard it seems the the theme is rather good.

harsab
06-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Having played and finished Horizon: Zero Dawn, it reminded me how much I miss ambient music in AC games. It adds a completely new dimension to the experience. Egypt could have easily used some flair by Jesper Kyd or Brian Tyler or Hans Zimmer or even Lorne Balfe.

This is totally random but how amazing is that music when your in the map/quests/weapon/etc menu in Horizon.

ladosefan
06-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Someone with a twitter account should just ask our God and savior Ashraf if there will be ambient music in the game!He seems to answer questions like this

lonewarrior30
06-17-2017, 10:25 PM
So as soon as I found out that Sarah Schachner will be the Composer for AC:O,I searched her on twitter,incase she posted something regarding the game.Sure enough this is her most recent tweet.

''For those concerned about ambient music in AC:Origins,there is LOTS....''

https://twitter.com/SchachnerMusic/status/876136100946771968 (https://twitter.com/SchachnerMusic/status/876136100946771968)

jayjay275
06-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Hnnnnggggg! It just gets better and better. Brilliant!

Megas_Doux
06-17-2017, 10:49 PM
Out of all AC soundtracks, Unity is the one I like the least (yes, I even preferred Rogue's) with the exception of some tracks that I love. However, her tracks were enjoyable. I really like this, see how it ends.

Farlander1991
06-17-2017, 11:06 PM
Out of all AC soundtracks, Unity is the one I like the least (yes, I even preferred Rogue's) with the exception of some tracks that I love. However, her tracks were enjoyable. I really like this, see how it ends.

She also composed AC4 multiplayer music, as well as a bunch of AC4 single-player tracks (that on official soundtrack are credited under Brian Tyler still), like Pyrates Beware & The Fortune of Edward Kenway.

BananaBlighter
06-17-2017, 11:23 PM
She also composed AC4 multiplayer music, as well as a bunch of AC4 single-player tracks (that on official soundtrack are credited under Brian Tyler still), like Pyrates Beware & The Fortune of Edward Kenway.

The Fortune of Edward Kenway is probably my favourite track from AC4, and Pyrates Beware is pretty high up there too! This is very good news in that case :)

Xstantin
06-17-2017, 11:48 PM
Awesome news. I really liked Rather death than slavery (which seems not to be Unity somehow) and Fortune of Edward Kenway.

crusader_prophet
06-18-2017, 12:20 AM
yes, I even preferred Rogue's)

Rogue's tracks are infectious if anyone says otherwise needs to check their ear-drums. It gives me the chills. It has an edge and sharpness in it.
My favorites are: [1] AC Rogue Main Theme [2] Hunter [3] I am Shay Patrick Cormack [4] The Guardian

https://youtu.be/gp5Q5kI7oB4

Megas_Doux
06-18-2017, 12:32 AM
Rogue's tracks are infectious if anyone says otherwise needs to check their ear-drums. It gives me the chills. It has an edge and sharpness in it.
My favorites are: [1] AC Rogue Main Theme [2] Hunter [3] I am Shay Patrick Cormack [4] The Guardian

https://youtu.be/gp5Q5kI7oB4

The ones heard during naval free roam -Northern Lights and Mysterious North- are REALLY good.

crusader_prophet
06-18-2017, 12:34 AM
The ones heard during naval free roam -Northern Lights and Mysterious North- are REALLY good.

Yes! It's absolutely calming!

SHADOWGARVIN
06-18-2017, 12:39 AM
The main theme in AC Rogue is one of my favorite AC songs. I love it and listen to all the time.

crusader_prophet
06-18-2017, 12:41 AM
The main theme in AC Rogue is one of my favorite AC songs. I love it and listen to all the time.

It's on my cell phone. I listen to it everyday on my commute to work!

lonewarrior30
06-18-2017, 01:48 AM

I have to say,I really liked Agnus Dei from Rogue

Jarek23
06-18-2017, 02:28 AM
Someone with a twitter account should just ask our God and savior Ashraf if there will be ambient music in the game!He seems to answer questions like this

Might not be from Ashraf, but the next best thing.

https://twitter.com/SchachnerMusic/status/876136100946771968

"For those concerned with ambient music in AC Origins, there is LOTS"

Jarek23
06-18-2017, 02:33 AM
So as soon as I found out that Sarah Schachner will be the Composer for AC:O,I searched her on twitter,incase she posted something regarding the game.Sure enough this is her most recent tweet.

''For those concerned about ambient music in AC:Origins,there is LOTS....''

https://twitter.com/SchachnerMusic/status/876136100946771968 (https://twitter.com/SchachnerMusic/status/876136100946771968)

This is great news!

WendysBrioche
06-18-2017, 02:34 AM

Eh, Unity was one of the best imho. Absolutely loved the music for Unity and Syndicate.

crusader_prophet
06-18-2017, 03:05 AM
Eh, Unity was one of the best imho. Absolutely loved the music for Unity and Syndicate.

Syndicate was too classical and not AC. It is great music, but does not fit AC universe.

Jarek23
06-18-2017, 03:19 AM
Syndicate was too classical and not AC. It is great music, but does not fit AC universe.

I think the biggest issue with Syndicates music wasn't that it was too classical, classical music really is perfect for that time period and location. I think the problem was that it was only classical.

Something Jesper Kyd said he did when creating music for the series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIFnBpPSicg)was if there was no synth in the track, or if it was all organic then he would process it several times to downgrade it to give it an electronic feel to it as if it's going through a machine (the animus). The reason why he's one of the best composers in gaming.

How often do you hear that in gaming? So many composers and games (Wintory/syndicate included) just write music that's suitable without putting much more though into it.

Listen to the bits from Origins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=synjkuBDxdY you can tell Sarah put far more thought into it than what most composers would do, make it sound like hollywoods version of eqypt. This really sounds like it's influenced by the earlier games, by Jespers work and that's a really good thing because you aren't really in Eqypt, you're there though the animus, the layers of electronic sounds and effects really help in that regard.

jayjay275
06-18-2017, 06:50 AM
One of the best ambient themes was definitely Notorious from AC2.

jayjay275
06-18-2017, 07:02 AM
This is great news, but there is a difference between having ambient music and actually implementing it. I hold out hope though. :)

SixKeys
06-18-2017, 07:44 AM
The more recent games have been trying to get away from the Animus feel and invested more into the historical, period-accurate music. AC4 was perhaps closest to Kyd's mixture of modern and historical. I don't agree that there is such a thing as "not AC" as the series has had lots of different styles, even during Kyd's run. AC2 sounds very different from AC1. For me the biggest departure music-wise has been Freedom Cry, but nobody seemed to think it wasn't AC.

Origins' music does sound promising so far, can't wait to hear more.

SHADOWGARVIN
06-18-2017, 01:24 PM
It's on my cell phone. I listen to it everyday on my commute to work!

I have it on my phone as well. I have a lot of AC music on my phone. I love to listen to it. It always relaxes me and cheers me up.