PDA

View Full Version : Monitor vs tv??

AnEnticingSquid
06-08-2017, 05:34 PM
I've been seeing a lot recently about tvs being slower than monitors and I was wondering if someone could give me some knowledge about this. Like, is a monitor better?? And if so, why? I play on "HD 1" on my TV, should I be playing on "game"? I never considered that that would actually make a difference. Thanks for all the help in advance!

Sykoink
06-08-2017, 06:39 PM
It has to do with Input lag. When you play on a TV, you have higher input lag VS a Monitor with a low input lag. Thats why in high level tournaments they always use monitors. I have an expensive 4K TV but i play competitive online games on my BenQ monitor.

You can put it this way, lets say someone attacks you with his sword and you react to it by quickly blocking that side on your TV and the attack hits you, it might actually be that theres nothing wrong with your sense of timing but because of the input lag on your TV, the attack already hit in reality and you were too slow because of the input lag. When you are playing on a monitor with low input lag, you can time those things very well and everything that happens on your screen, you can time it perfectly. Or for example in a shooter, on a TV when you turn your camera and aim somewhere you see where you are aiming but in reality when you compare it to a Monitor at the same time, you are actually already further with your aim so you kind of lag behind.

So sometimes when you see your opponent in a shooting game for example around a corner, you get killed but you swore you shot him first. That might have a lot to do with Input lag. If you play on a low input monitor you have an advantage over people who play on regular Tv's, because you are quicker to react then them because they don't see what you already see in real time for a split second.

The difference is really big between a TV and my BenQ monitor when i play games like Destiny PVP, fighting games etc

It might not be the perfect explanation but i hope it helped. You can read much more in detail about it on the internet or see comparisons and explanations on youtube.

Knight_Raime
06-08-2017, 07:12 PM
^
basically. All though there are newer tv's or sometimes people refer to certain tv's as a gaming tv. where these things are taken into mind when being made. So they won't have the delay like standard tv's do. I don't know where you live but in my area I can get a decent monitor that helps with this issue for around 130$ USD.

Sykoink
06-08-2017, 07:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tAq6-7Ldic

Look at 1:46 and notice how that makes a pretty impact when your playing online

AnEnticingSquid
06-08-2017, 10:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tAq6-7Ldic

Look at 1:46 and notice how that makes a pretty impact when your playing online

That's a huge difference! That would explain why so many times I feel like I definitely blocked and attack, or timed a parry perfectly and it still failed... And here I was blaming the game the whole time! Thanks for the help guys! I'm definitely buying one.