PDA

View Full Version : O Cameo Cameo! wherefore art thou Cameo?

strigoi1958
06-08-2017, 01:41 PM
We have seen Altair making cameo appearances in previous games and, I really really like it when we have cameo appearances of people from previous games... I've even tried to make people who are upset that Desmond is dead understand that he is still a playable character via memories just as any other character with that DNA/ bloodline.

But anyway, I've often wanted a game where we can jump from era to era even revisiting some of our favourite times and places and characters (even if we do not play as them ) but just to see them or to play as someone they knew, Yusuf, Sofia, Charles Lee etc... but as I do not think that will happen (just yet)... I would still like it if we had some cameo appearances.... a familiar face always makes me feel a game is a little bit more enjoyable.

Personally I'd like to see Haytham again. It was nice seeing the reference to Edward in Syndicate but a cameo of any sort would be nice.

Is there any character from previous games you'd like to see making a cameo appearance in future... or anyone who was not a protagonist that you would like to be a playable character?

LoyalACFan
06-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Shaun and Rebecca will doubtless be back, as always. Syndicate hinted that they might actually be bringing "the sun, your son" to fruition, so I'm half-expecting them to do another time jump and have us play as Desmond Junior in the modern day/future segments. Bill and Mrs. Miles might show up too (the latter of whom is really starting to feel like a conspicuous omission at this point, considering all of the other random Assassins we've been shown in Initiates and whatnot).

As for historical characters... IDK, even the extreme late end of the timeframe we're looking at for Origins is over a thousand years before Altair was born, so they can't really have any of the previous protagonists or supporting characters showing up. I guess if the whole "rifts/multiple eras" rumor is true, they could squeeze some of the characters from the French comics in there (e.g. Aquilus, Accipiter, El Cakr) but only a tiny sliver of the players would even recognize them. The only other major character who was even remotely hinted at being in Egypt at some point was Arno, and Ubisoft (wisely) seems to be pretending that Unity never happened. Though, if we do skip around in time, we might see a bit of Napoleon's invasion.

cawatrooper9
06-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Like Loyal mentioned, I think Arno in Egypt during Napoleon's time would be a great cameo. Arno/Connor/Aveline v Shay/Napoleon in Egypt would probably be the most insane and amazing (though admittedly fan-servicey) thing possible. Still, I want it.

wvstolzing
06-08-2017, 03:30 PM
I hope Shaun, Rebecca, and Galina make an appearance, though more than just cameos.

strigoi1958
06-08-2017, 05:23 PM
As for historical characters... IDK, even the extreme late end of the timeframe we're looking at for Origins is over a thousand years before Altair was born, so they can't really have any of the previous protagonists or supporting characters showing up. .

well they do not have to show up during the memories at the time of Origins... although Ezio died many decades before Desmond was born he still speaks to him or acknowledges him so maybe time in the animus/ helix is not linear. :)

And I was thinking more of future games. Although any of the MD people could make a cameo... maybe some background info on Lucy? if people wanted that.

I would have liked to have gone back to play as Elise to get some more insight into the Templar way of thinking... not just the Rogue way like Shay.

But playing as one of Ezio's family just for 1 mission and running into Ezio seen through the eyes of someone else would be good :)

wvstolzing
06-08-2017, 05:31 PM
although Ezio died many decades before Desmond was born he still speaks to him or acknowledges him so maybe time in the animus/ helix is not linear. :)

That's only because Minerva mentioned Desmond to him, at the Vatican.

Minerva's reference, on the other hand, makes no sense, since we're told that all she's capable of was to make probability projections into the future -- not clairvoyance. Pinpointing an individual across so many Millennia just introduces a supernatural element, which is totally off.

Interestingly, they adopted something very similar in the recent comics, where the First-Civ 'entity' (I'm not really sure exactly what it is) named 'Consus' talks directly to the person using the Animus (Charlotte). It's the same deal; and it's entirely incongruent.

(I wrote this bit elsewhere) I've always felt that that whole theme is borrowed from Asimov's Foundation series, where a great 'psychohistorian' charts the next few centuries of a Galactic Empire, then records an advice-giving hologram of himself in time vaults to be opened every so many years. In Asimov, the idea is to project the probable behavior of the entirety of galactic society; so pinpointing individuals is out of question -- and including it adds unnecessary supernatural connotations. Of course with AC3 and beyond, they made it worse by introducing force-ghosts of First Civ individuals, interacting with present day people, etc. (One 'uploaded consciousness' might have been plausible; but where did Minerva's 'force ghost' come from? Where did it go anyway, after AC3?)

cawatrooper9
06-08-2017, 05:35 PM
But playing as one of Ezio's family just for 1 mission and running into Ezio seen through the eyes of someone else would be good :)

If it's true that Origins is part of a trilogy that will also include Ancient Greece and Rome (rumored last year) then I could totally see a rift in the Rome one where you play as Giovanni and eventually go back to the Auditore estate in Florence where you see Ezio.

Bastiaen
06-08-2017, 07:09 PM
I think that these ideas sound lots of fun. Part of what made the Desmond Saga so good was how interconnected each of the games were. Even if it just linked with recent games, having some kind of connection (especially narrative) could really help get people invested in the series again. The reason that AC as an annual release series was always stronger than COD (at least, it didn't have quite so much vitriol directed at it) was that the games each felt different and justified in the story. I hope we can get there again and that the stories will be connected to each other in meaningful ways. I think that the modern day story is a great place to start with this. People remember the Desmond Saga not just because of Ezio's charm, but because each story mattered. In terms of overall narrative, could you really say that it was essential for new players to go back and play Black Flag? Unity? Rogue? Let's not even start with Syndicate... (While the game had some saving graces, it was only just okay, and I prefered Unitiy's flawed risk taking to Syndicate's polished safety).

strigoi1958
06-08-2017, 10:17 PM
If it's true that Origins is part of a trilogy that will also include Ancient Greece and Rome (rumored last year) then I could totally see a rift in the Rome one where you play as Giovanni and eventually go back to the Auditore estate in Florence where you see Ezio.

If that is true... that would be brilliant :)

Xstantin
06-09-2017, 12:34 AM
Arno and Napoleon in Egypt would be cool after Dead Kings.

But it seems like Arno doesn't exist anymore (much like Connor).

cawatrooper9
06-09-2017, 02:39 PM

I don't know- Arno wasn't of much particular importance compared to someone like Connor (basically the Luke Skywalker of Assassins Creed) or the legendary Ezio. Arno killed a sage and is notable for being banished from the order for some time, but we've really only seen Syndicate since then, and I'm not surprised that Evie and Jacob weren't particularly interested in his history.

joshoolhorst
06-09-2017, 05:19 PM

The movie tie-in novel AKA Heresy mentioned Arno all over the place with the Sword of Eden, Arno even appeared in the movie probably cause Michael Fassbender wanted to play one game to know how the characters moved so he probably asked for it from Ubisoft.

He had more than Connor ever had in one book and movie than Connor which is weid because Connor rebuild the Brotherhood in America, fought in the America Revolution which changed the outcome of the world what we know today.
Arno wasn't that important in the history of the Assassin order more like a side story.

Bastiaen
06-09-2017, 05:19 PM

I think this is why the series has lost so much momentum after AC3 (In spit of many of the games continuing to be great, yes AC3 was the best selling game in the series).
They entries no longer have any respect for their own lore.

SixKeys
06-09-2017, 05:24 PM
I just want to say the title of this thread confuses me. "Wherefore art thou cameo" = "Why are you cameo"

joshoolhorst
06-09-2017, 05:32 PM
I don't know- Arno wasn't of much particular importance compared to someone like Connor (basically the Luke Skywalker of Assassins Creed) or the legendary Ezio. Arno killed a sage and is notable for being banished from the order for some time, but we've really only seen Syndicate since then, and I'm not surprised that Evie and Jacob weren't particularly interested in his history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8
Haytham: Achilles never told you what happened to your father
Connor: He told me enough, he told me you killed him!
Haytham: No I am your father
Connor: Noooooooooo (Leap of faith)

strigoi1958
06-09-2017, 06:47 PM
DartHaytham

https://thumb.ibb.co/dgPwSa/h.jpg https://thumb.ibb.co/hnmAna/Dart_Haytham1.png

@Sixkeys I was using poetic license when I stole that from Shakespeare :) But.... the Empire are definitely Templars ;)

naumaan
06-10-2017, 12:33 AM
I'd love to have haytham kenway and Arno as playable, arno's character was my favorite but it didn't help Assassin's much, I d like to have a better ending for Arno, and haytham's unravelling as how he got to know about his father's killer and why did he not return to Assassins after knowing the truth and of course both of the stories should unravel something in the MD to help Assassin's or templars.

Not that many people are fan of metal gear solid here but the way they answered their story questions, every character had a background story.

joshoolhorst
06-10-2017, 08:36 AM
DartHaytham

https://thumb.ibb.co/dgPwSa/h.jpg https://thumb.ibb.co/hnmAna/Dart_Haytham1.png

@Sixkeys I was using poetic license when I stole that from Shakespeare :) But.... the Empire are definitely Templars ;)

My life is complete now I can die in peace:o