PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on how to avoid detection?

Bede2014
06-07-2017, 06:02 PM
I'm always getting detected easily. Can't figure out why?

grantrytare
06-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Torpedos armed aswell as shields up and enginepower above 4000 raises your detectionrange.

gerrylum
06-07-2017, 07:51 PM
The captain and helm roles can see the ship's detection signature - the green ring that surrounds the ship. The green ring gets bigger or smaller depending on whether your shield and/or torpedoes are armed and active. Keeping your engine power and speed down also keeps your ship's signature low.

As long as an enemy ship isn't inside that green circle they can't see you.

EvilCanadi4n
06-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Reduce your signature by having torpedoes and shields offline, also maintain 4000 or less in your engines. You can also use anomalies to reduce your detection range to as low of 3k

~20 hours of gameplay

Lt._Cmdr._Ryan
06-08-2017, 06:38 AM
All previous posts correctly address your question. But on a side note...

I was just thinking I'd love to see that info available for all crew positions, but then thought, having to ask your fellow crew members what our signature is makes it more social. And the social aspect to this game is what makes it so good.

IkariPt
06-08-2017, 10:25 AM
enginepower above 4000 raises your detectionrange.

speed over 4000 increases your emission rate, not enginepower (more like engine limit).

it takes me alot to convince the captain and/or engineering that they can put 5000 energy on engines and i can control the speed, i can watch our emission range ring on my console so i can keep adjusting the speed to avoid detection and move as fast as possible.

this is a common mistake that makes me love/hate EP3

Fyrcat
06-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Related question - if an enemy has already seen me and engaged, what happens if I keep shields and torps down and move back out of detection range? Can he continue to "see" me and fire on me?

Fyrcat
06-08-2017, 12:30 PM
speed over 4000 increases your emission rate, not enginepower (more like engine limit).

it takes me alot to convince the captain and/or engineering that they can put 5000 energy on engines and i can control the speed, i can watch our emission range ring on my console so i can keep adjusting the speed to avoid detection and move as fast as possible.

this is a common mistake that makes me love/hate EP3

For a good helm officer, this is correct. But a lot of helm officers aren't that good. :) If I captained a regular crew with a helm I trusted, I would absolutely leave power in engines for helm to manage quick careful bursts to stay out of detection.

IkariPt
06-08-2017, 03:01 PM
dosent matter if the helm is good or not, its speed base.
90% of the games i have to tell the crew, just trying to clear a misconception.

same thing when people say "dont shot torpedos before "disabling" the shields" whit intrusion...

forbym
06-10-2017, 01:11 AM
As long as an enemy ship isn't inside that green circle they can't see you.

Important strategies to stay undetected include 1) flee fast enough, 2) disable engines of enemy ships such that they cannot follow you, 3) go close to an anomaly to reduce your signature.