PDA

View Full Version : What if Desmond? Spoilers for the old games

naumaan
06-07-2017, 07:00 AM
As we know, in Assassins Creed 3, Desmond took the choice to save mankind by helping Juno and not minerva.
The game unfolded in the AC Black Flag and a new story was created, which we are following.

What if Desmond chose Minerva instead of Juno? What would happen?

Your take?

VersaviNL
06-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Good point .. to bad there isn't a answer to that .. such games makes it more fun to pick your side.

I remember there is one movie in history you can choose wich ending side you want but even in the movie a choice .. it is called The Ridd ick Good movie :D Nice Dvd entertainment as well

But i don't know a game that has the same function

naumaan
06-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Thank you for your answer VersaviNL

I never heard of movies with a choice, there is a new movie type game with the name of late shift which is kind of cool as far as I ve seen.

Games are all about choices man, espacially RPGs, witcher had its own choice system, ex machina had its choice system.

But I didn't ask about the game developers, where would they take the game... I asked about Me you simple people who browse the forum.

strigoi1958
06-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Good point .. to bad there isn't a answer to that .. such games makes it more fun to pick your side.

I remember there is one movie in history you can choose wich ending side you want but even in the movie a choice .. it is called The Ridd ick Good movie :D Nice Dvd entertainment as well

Yes there are games where choices during the game offers a different ending. Far Cry 3 is a good one. I really liked Vampire The Masquerade bloodlines... at the end, the choice you made, decided what happened to your character. :) Great stealth game.

cawatrooper9
06-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Well, other than the cutscene that shows exactly what would happen. But I agree, it did feel kind of weird having been given a choice only for the player to ultimately have absolutely no agency in that choice.

Bastiaen
06-09-2017, 05:16 PM
I think that had they gone the route of siding with Minerva, it could have opened up many new and interesting ethical discussions as well as building the lore around the modern day, instead of allowing it to fade into obscurity as they have done.

SixKeys
06-09-2017, 05:25 PM
We'd have a more interesting modern day, that's for sure.

LoyalACFan
06-09-2017, 09:52 PM
We'd have a more interesting modern day, that's for sure.

This. Would've preferred Desmond & Co hiding out in a cave and building society back up from scratch after the solar flare, over a random crazy space witch trapped in the Internet.

Bastiaen
06-09-2017, 10:02 PM
This. Would've preferred Desmond & Co hiding out in a cave and building society back up from scratch after the solar flare, over a random crazy space witch trapped in the Internet.

I agree that it would have been better than the Juno plotline AS IT HAS BEEN DONE. I think that the Juno plotline had so much potential, but when AC4 came out and each team was given direct control over their MD story, with no overarching narrative, MD basically stalled. One way or another, MD needed a lot more work than it's gotten since the end of AC3.

naumaan
06-10-2017, 12:24 AM
MD would be interesting but the Historical sessions would have lost its place too, then there would be no first civilization or if there is, there would be another coming disaster to get ready for with a new protagonist. It seems like devs had no idea what the new disaster could be .. so they took Juno's path. Even if it was bad enough, an emotional point to mourn, it was best that he is dead

joshoolhorst
06-10-2017, 11:52 AM

Juno: I am unstopable!
Me:.... (Unplug the power cord)
Juno: NOOOOOOOooooooo---______ (Death)

I agree that it would have been better than the Juno plotline AS IT HAS BEEN DONE. I think that the Juno plotline had so much potential, but when AC4 came out and each team was given direct control over their MD story, with no overarching narrative, MD basically stalled. One way or another, MD needed a lot more work than it's gotten since the end of AC3.

I could imagen that Juno reveals herself to the world causing chaos everywhere, after her death she still got what she wants humans because of her hate for humans. We tear each other apart over religion, people looking back at history and perhaps just imagen Abstergo and the Assassin's get revealed to the public to, everybody rebelling to the goverment and more. That could be such a interesting story with consequences of your actions!

I am really sad how Juno's plot is handled she just exists now to give Modern Day to the books, comics, movies, internet sites it's kinda depressing.

wvstolzing
06-10-2017, 03:32 PM

A post-apocalyptic modern day, with possible survival and light crafting elements? It doesn't sound all that interesting to me. Apart from the overabundance of post-apocalyptic/dystopian settings in popular media, that would render the historical bits pointless. Even supposing that they contrived some reasons for our heroes to relive ancestors' memories ('Desmond, we'll die of thirst unless we find the Water Pump of Eden; also we need the Hoe of Eden to till the soil -- for the cabbages') they wouldn't be able to do anything about them, since to get to temples, and retrieve artefacts, and so on, the Assassins require various modern day resources (like airlines, wireless communication, etc.) which wouldn't be available in a scorched Earth.

Unleashing Juno made better sense both in-universe, and as a means to continue the story. The bad decision was rather to demote her immediately to the status of a vague background threat -- it wasn't lost on the fans that this was hardly more than a cheap move to indefinitely stretch the modern day story line, eliminating the need to write any interesting conflicts, characters, etc.

The modern day is picking up momentum lately (albeit in 'transmedia'); and that's promising. If ACO can take advantage of that, and eliminate the nonsense about Abstergo Entertainment and the Helix, we could get an interesting adventure after all.

EDIT - Also, in Minerva's projection, I don't understand why Desmond gets to be the wise spiritual prophet guru bearded guy. Sacrificing himself on the 'eye' makes him a martyr/chosen one alright, but NOT doing that would mean nothing in terms of his authority as a spiritual guide. Besides he isn't a terribly articulate or erudite person. If anything, Shaun would be a better choice for that role.