PDA

View Full Version : So is the forum better now than it was in 2015?

joshoolhorst
06-07-2017, 06:50 AM
If you have to say or make a comparison is the forum now better than in 2015 or 2016?
I don't expect much on 2016 because of the yearly release break

SixKeys
06-07-2017, 08:53 AM
Define "better". Do you mean more traffic? If so, then no. Traffic has slowed down from 2015, which was already nothing compared to the forums' peak between 2010-2012. Do you mean less fighting? Probably yes, since there are fewer threads overall. :p

cawatrooper9
06-07-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm curious to see if things pick up a lot once the game is announced.

I'd say there's definitely been a surge of traffic lately- still nothing compared to the forums' golden years, but significantly noticeable compared to 2016.

ze_topazio
06-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Nothing will ever compare to late 2012, early 2013, those months post AC3 release were insane.

LoyalACFan
06-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Nah, it's kinda lame right now TBH. Not much going on. I imagine that will change a lot after next week, however.

Not to say the "golden years" of 2012-2013 were all sunshine and rainbows. Whole lotta toxicity up in here after AC3.

cawatrooper9
06-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Sounds like I was just a little over a year late to the party.

I was a lurker a long time before I started posting though, so I kinda know what it was like.

Speaking of which, we should probably have an sort of SETI system for these forums: Hello friendly lurkers! Please join us! We're cool and lonely (or, at least one of those).

ze_topazio
06-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Nah, it's kinda lame right now TBH. Not much going on. I imagine that will change a lot after next week, however.

Not to say the "golden years" of 2012-2013 were all sunshine and rainbows. Whole lotta toxicity up in here after AC3.

Not saying those years were perfect, but it was hilarious how like every two minutes someone was opening a new thread, it was always the same topics, "Connor vs Ezio", "AC2 vs AC3", "Connor sucks", "Connor is the best ever", "AC3 sucks", "AC3 is my favorite" and the occasional random "Altair is actually my favorite", despite the fact that the theme of discussion was always the same, every single thread would have several pages in an hour or two despite the fact there was several similar threads in the front page, then inside those threads you could find the same people fighting each other, sometimes at the same time in different threads.

At first I thought it was annoying, then I start finding it hilarious.

VestigialLlama4
06-07-2017, 11:08 PM
AC3 was just that kind of game.

Then Unity came out, and it was just sad. The shoddiness and incompetence of the release, followed by the lameness of the content, and then Syndicate was blah...

Megas_Doux
06-08-2017, 12:38 AM
Not saying those years were perfect, but it was hilarious how like every two minutes someone was opening a new thread, it was always the same topics, "Connor vs Ezio", "AC2 vs AC3", "Connor sucks", "Connor is the best ever", "AC3 sucks", "AC3 is my favorite" and the occasional random "Altair is actually my favorite", despite the fact that the theme of discussion was always the same, every single thread would have several pages in an hour or two despite the fact there was several similar threads in the front page, then inside those threads you could find the same people fighting each other, sometimes at the same time in different threads.

At first I thought it was annoying, then I start finding it hilarious.

Fun? May be. Chaotic??? Sure.

I differ a bit See to me the "golden age" was from early 2012 since the first image came to the actual release of AC III. Then the wars began haha.

LoyalACFan
06-08-2017, 04:36 AM

I differ a bit See to me the "golden age" was from early 2012 since the first image came to the actual release of AC III. Then the wars began haha.

Yeah, the six months prior to AC3's release were fun. I was just lurking for part of it, but everybody was so insanely hyped, coming up with wild theories left and right, waiting with bated breath for the next Thursday when another IGN Behind the Scenes video would come out... Good times. Turned into a warzone after October 31 though, lol.

SofaJockey
06-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Forums are forums, traffic will always spike around launch,
with a dogged 10% of the dispossessed posting in the hiatus periods.

Such is the way of things. :p

KittyRino
06-08-2017, 01:48 PM
I miss signature pictures :p

Bastiaen
06-08-2017, 06:56 PM
I miss signature pictures :p
I agree.

Most of my posts were early 2012 to early 2014. I used to love these forums. Now I'm back to a lurker for the most part. That's partly because of the toxicity back in late 2012, but also because of a couple of other things.

Sometimes I feel like this isn't really a place for AC fans. I'm not a fanboy. I can see the flaws, and I want Ubisoft to do a better job with this franchise, but there has often been so much negativity both towards the game and towards other forum members that I just went quiet after a while, and I think the same can be said for many other forum members.

I really think the actual golden age of the forums (for me at least) was 2010-2011. It had a lot to do with the content in the Ezio trilogy (I am NOT an Ezio Fanboy, my favorite Assassin's are Connor and Arno). Back then, there was always this air of mystery around the games and their stories, both in the modern day and the ancestor story. This meant that the forums were chock full of speculation about where the games would go in the future. I think that Ubisoft killed interest in the forums in much the same way that they have killed their games. By refusing to actually tie off loose ends and by not adding any interesting new threads, all of the stories became disconnected, disjointed and uninteresting. Is it fun to be the Frye twins in a (not really) historic Victorian England? Sure, but it would be so much better if the story mattered in the context of the series.

TL;DR: Make Assassin's Creed Great Again. If we can do this, the forums will come back to life. I love this series, and I think that all it will take to save it is some invested and careful writing.

cawatrooper9
06-08-2017, 07:52 PM
TL;DR: Make Assassin's Creed Great Again. If we can do this, the forums will come back to life. I love this series, and I think that all it will take to save it is some invested and careful writing.
Here's to hoping that this is a great year for us.

By the way, welcome back! Didn't think I recognized you, but it looked like you still had quite a few posts. I must've just missed when you were posting most often, as I joined in early 2014.

SixKeys
06-08-2017, 07:56 PM

AC3's release is kind of the "...then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked" of the series. ;)

Bastiaen
06-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Here's to hoping that this is a great year for us.

By the way, welcome back! Didn't think I recognized you, but it looked like you still had quite a few posts. I must've just missed when you were posting most often, as I joined in early 2014.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm trying to get back into the forums, as I'm really hoping that Origins is a great game. I'm also really hoping that the forums won't get too toxic again, and that this community can begin to feel like one again.

pacmanate
06-08-2017, 09:11 PM
As lots of people said, this forum is lame at the moment.

2015 had a fair few regulars back then. Even I took a break last year, was still lurking but there was hardly any discussion going on here. It will be interesting to see how many oldies come back around E3 as well as the new people.

Really excited to see people back here.

Xstantin
06-09-2017, 12:41 AM
I wonder how many UBI BE CHANGE posts will be here once Origins is out.

VestigialLlama4
06-09-2017, 02:59 AM
I wonder how many UBI BE CHANGE posts will be here once Origins is out.

Fewer than you expect. The reasons for those "ubi be change" was that the annual releases and regular retcons and catering to fan demands created that expectation and sentiment that their fan complaints were listened to. After all ROGUE was more or less written by unpaid scab fan-fic people online and in message boards.

ORIGINS is Ubisoft going in for a longer haul, and the setting of Ancient Egypt allows them a little more breathing room, and of course after UNITY, you had a mediocre game like Syndicate, and then a year off with a mediocre film (that still did pretty well admittedly) so expectations and enthusiasm has cooled down.