PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to get Dedicated Servers?

TwinStiletto
06-07-2017, 05:35 AM
We're getting sick of disconnects and error code, poor NAT signals, and long wait times to get into a game. Please UBISOFT, what will it take to get some kind of dedicated server??? The player base is a fraction of what is was at launch. We pay for gear, outfits, and whatever ridiculous emote you guys come up with. It it not enough? Haven't we shown you our dedication and love for this game that at one point YOU ALL did too? We need Dedicated Servers. Otherwise this game will not survive till the end of the year. We'll probably be gone, leaving it to bleed to death, by October.
You answers our concerns as best you can. You encourage us to submit our creations for our love of this game. And I thank you for that. But we need the servers fixed permanently. There is too much negative for the positive to gain any ground. I understand the team is "working on a solution". However...
My question is there: WHAT WILL IT TAKE?
I'm not expecting an overnight fix or an immediate answer. but we need something soon, by early season 3 hopefully.
Please, don't let us lose this game. There is still SO MUCH POTENTIAL in it.
Thank you for your time in reading post.

-Knight TwinStiletto

guor6800
06-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Forget it dude. You will never get dedicated server. The game is built around p2p. A ****ty one in this case but that's life. Deal with it or move on.

Y_Shrewditch
06-07-2017, 10:39 AM
This is actually my first fighting game, but I used to run around in an MMORPG back in the days for a little while. And from all reports I've seen, there has not been any online game that has not experienced lag of some sort or another.

So while I appreciate the idea that dedicated servers could offer a more stable environment, is there actually any solid reason to assume it will do that in For Honor as well?

jeannedeorleans
06-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Start plotting to kidnap Ubisoft's CEO's daughter, that the only way.

Draghmar
06-07-2017, 11:26 AM
So while I appreciate the idea that dedicated servers could offer a more stable environment, is there actually any solid reason to assume it will do that in For Honor as well?
Dedicated servers would be more stable then making one of the player host that sync everything. Stability would probably also improve in terms of lags in a way that servers like that has more stable connection as oppose to home network which can change during one session rapidly. But the downside is they are more expensive and force you to make then in many places in the world. And if the overall population is low then there won't be any economical reason to maintain server in the lowest regions making them virtually unable to play.

So as you see both solutions has some pros and cons.

Egotistic_Ez
06-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Not really, no. The main issue with For Honor's stability isn't that it's P2P (most fighters are P2P, as are many other console games) it's the fact the coding was done by an amateur. Getting that same no talent hack to now code a new networking system with a much reduced team (most of the For Honor team has moved on to new Ubisoft games) would result in just as many if not more issues and errors.

The game is done. It's that simple.

Draghmar
06-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Not really, no. The main issue with For Honor's stability isn't that it's P2P (most fighters are P2P, as are many other console games)[...]
Even though I can't judge netcode they made I can say that what you say here needs some additional explanation: fighting games uses mostly 1v1 where latency is much easier to work around. And online games differ in how much they actually depends on latency. Like MMORPG where even high latency is not such a big problem. Shooters are also easier because f the way fighting is done.

XxHunterHxX
06-07-2017, 11:33 AM
The game is done. It's that simple.

Im just here for the fireworks man...i knew the game was done 2 months ago but people said im a troll !!

Y_Shrewditch
06-07-2017, 12:02 PM
(most of the For Honor team has moved on to new Ubisoft games)

Thanks for the answer. But is that a confirmed fact? If so, that would be a seriously BadThing(tm) for the game and not at all reassuring.

EDG_Avocado
06-07-2017, 12:02 PM
game just wants to rest in peace. Stop trying to save a game that doesn't want to be saved man. Devs don't want to save it

XxHunterHxX
06-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the answer. But is that a confirmed fact? If so, that would be a seriously BadThing(tm) for the game and not at all reassuring.

read around the internet but since we ir talking about ubisoft here is a reason why games made by them ir ****...

http://gingearstudio.com/why-i-quit-my-dream-job-at-ubisoft

this guy worked on ac syndicate and left ubisoft afther it....they ir only interested in making money and what will sell fast not on making a good game with no bugs and fun to play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjpImmIpc5E

Draghmar
06-07-2017, 01:13 PM
read around the internet but since we ir talking about ubisoft here is a reason why games made by them ir ****...

http://gingearstudio.com/why-i-quit-my-dream-job-at-ubisoft

this guy worked on ac syndicate and left ubisoft afther it....they ir only interested in making money and what will sell fast not on making a good game with no bugs and fun to play
Actually if you really read his entry you wouldn't come up with that conclusion.

It's quite normal that staff is reduced after the release because not every one is needed for post-launch maintenance and there are other projects that needs them. And you should really remember that all companies are for money. That's their goal. Even those indie companies do this because they want to make money from it. Some even try to use popularity of indie term.

And as a disclaimer - I'm not defending Ubi here...not directly anyway. I don't mind giving negative feedback (and I did it here many times) but I don't like things like jumping to conclusions and bending reality to make statements look more in someone's favor.

Netcode_err_404
06-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Im just here for the fireworks man...i knew the game was done 2 months ago but people said im a troll !!

If you claim so, why are you still here ?

Capoupacap
06-07-2017, 01:30 PM
There is just ONE way. Don't buy Ubisoft game again, post a bad note in every review about any Ubisoft game.

When these guys will understand they market plan just make them loose all credit to the community, and that it means no money, they will understand.

XxHunterHxX
06-07-2017, 01:51 PM
There is just ONE way. Don't buy Ubisoft game again, post a bad note in every review about any Ubisoft game.

When these guys will understand they market plan just make them loose all credit to the community, and that it means no money, they will understand.

Its like saying...dont buy any more cod games from activision..... >_> people will buy it...at some point just make shure atlest you save the money you have and spend it on good actual games...

Egotistic_Ez
06-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Even though I can't judge netcode they made I can say that what you say here needs some additional explanation: fighting games uses mostly 1v1 where latency is much easier to work around. And online games differ in how much they actually depends on latency. Like MMORPG where even high latency is not such a big problem. Shooters are also easier because f the way fighting is done.

It's true that an 8 player p2p game is unusual these days, but the errors with that should still be host advantage, general lag, and some desync issues (being shot through walls, teleporting around, etc). The vast majority of errors are simply because of the code. You know when you hit someone and it'll pop-up with the execution prompt then change its mind? That's a P2P issue. The game crashing when someone leaves is an Ubisoft issue.

It's standard practice, nothing shady or bad about it really. It takes a LOT of people to make a AAA game, but not as many to maintain it. Most of the coders can move on to other projects, as can almost the entire art team, etc. There's still a dedicated team, but it's more of a skeleton crew. A few modellers and animators for the weekly content, a couple of designers for balance and minor gameplay adjustments, a handful of coders to fix bugs, that type of thing.

Obdach01
06-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Start plotting to kidnap Ubisoft's CEO's daughter, that the only way.

I guess he would have her die as a martyr, rather than listen to the community ;)

Draghmar
06-07-2017, 02:48 PM
It's true that an 8 player p2p game is unusual these days, but the errors with that should still be host advantage, general lag, and some desync issues (being shot through walls, teleporting around, etc). The vast majority of errors are simply because of the code. You know when you hit someone and it'll pop-up with the execution prompt then change its mind? That's a P2P issue. The game crashing when someone leaves is an Ubisoft issue.
Things related to some way of timeshifting are mostly because of latency - it's both net code and lags. The better the code the less you see it but it's almost impossible to get rid of it entirely - even if you manage to calculate ping and things like that between players there always things like spikes in internet traffic what we often see as "I shoot him first but game decided that I should die instead". I had this quite often in Battlefield series.
And I agree - game crashing after problems with player designated as a host is directly Ubi fault.