PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Station

LtCdr-Stewart
06-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Well I have done all stations now and Engineering is my favorite but here are some things.

Engineering:

The console is a little misleading and the names should be changed. You have three power settings Phaser Range, Engine Power, and Shield Power. All power settings are 1-5 and it seems that power 1 is 20% and 5 is 100% on all systems.

Phaser Range:

This does not just do the range of the phasers this also increases the damage of phasers and torps which most people do not know. After doing some testing in solo with this it seems that level 1 does 20% damage and level 5 does 100% damage and overcharging seems to do 150% damage. This also seems to increase phaser recharge rate I have not stop watched it yet though but the line seem to raise faster.

Engine Power:

Of course you can see what this does to the engine speed but this also increases the turning rate. Putting full engine power gives a very good turning rate but overcharging will make the ship turn real fast. If you are staying stealth never go above setting 4 or 4000 your EM will not increase up to 4000. If you are in stealth and helm needs to make a fast turn you can overcharge the engines but ask helm to hit full stop first so you will not increase your EM.

Shield Power:

Shields seem to work the same as everything else if you raise shields and leave this on level 1 you only have 20% shield strength level 5 is 100% or 5.0. Overcharging the shields can get up to 5.8 you only have to put 4 overcharge pips to get full overcharge the 5th pip does nothing it seems. Testing this getting hit by an enemy torp. with 5 pips it did 10% damage to shields and with 4 pips it still did 10% to shields it seems that 4 pips maxes the shields. Best combat defense setting I have found is 4-1-5 on standard power setting and transfer engine power from 1-3 and 5 to shields which gives you the full shield strength and move the 4th engine pip to phasers which gives 19.5 range almost the same as full power. Best Attack setting is 5-1-4 moving all engine power to phasers. Best range attack setting for over 20km is 5-4-1 with all engine power moved to phasers and all shield power moved to engines.

Example:

Now for the fun part it is best if the Captain put the view to target so Engineering can see what the enemy is doing and so helm can see when the enemy fires a torp. so they can do evasive maneuvers.

Outside 20km:

So we start a battle if the targets are outside of 20km which is out of their attack range. When the target gets within 26km set the range attack setting I told you about above. This gives enough power for weapons to hit the enemy when the enemy can not hit you. Helm also has enough power to keep distance of over 20km. Once the computer tells you that the system is getting ready to overload hit the reset button this will still give enough power for helm but tactical will have to use torps only. Once the overcharge lines are under 50% re-route power again the lines will continue to lower and repeat the process.

Inside 20km:

The Captain should have the view set to target and helm should be at max height. If the enemy is heading toward you do a defense setting of 4-1-5 and move over engine power 1-3 and 5 to shields and 4 to phasers. If they shoot a torp the Captain should tell helm to take evasive maneuvers which means the helm should dive. Now once you see the enemy shoot a torp you need to set power to evasive setting which is 1-5-4 and hit the reset on the reroute power this will make the ship dive fast and the torp should miss. Once the torp misses reset power to defense again. If the enemy has turned away from you set the power to an offense setting of 5-1-4 move all power from engines to phasers. It seems the enemies do attack runs something most teams do not.

Shields:

Shields recharge at 75 sec no matter what or 1 min 15 sec. I tested this multiple times with shields left on with shields turned off full power to shields and no power to shields. But if you turn the shields off you will have to turn them on after 1 min 5 sec exactly to get the same recharge time so that is a hassle so my advice is to just leave them on until you are out of battle.

Repairs:

Warp Core is your power generator this should be the first thing repaired also if the warp core gets to damaged even if your ship is at 100% the warp core can blow up taking you with it. Once the warp core is damaged leave one repair team there at all times. For some reason you can not send repair teams to places unless it is damage on the original Enterprise you can.

Repairing systems should go in this order. Warp Core, Shields, Engines, Phasers, Torps, Scanners. Even with damaged Torps you usually have 1 tube ready to use.

I know a lot of people say that Engineering is easy but if you want to maximize your ship engineering is the hardest role on the ship.

aliceST123
06-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Shields:

Full power to shields is the way to go once the shields go down do not tell tactical to lower shields they seem to have the same recharge rate either way and it takes a full 10 sec for them to come back up. The big mistake I see people make as an engineer is once shields go down they take all power from shields and put it into other systems. Remember Shields have a recharge rate and if you take power away from shields it takes 5 times longer for them to come back up. Best thing to do when shields go down is to set a extend setting of 1-4-5 move all power from phasers to engines this gives over 6000 power to engines and 5.0 on shields for them to recharge faster.

Thanks for the write-up, I agree with most! This one part confused me though.

First, so that means once at 0%, shields recharge in 115 seconds, no matter if shields are up or lowered? And if so, I am still not sure if lowering shields isn't a helpful thing to do in some scenarios since it reduces signature and new enemies might not attack so quickly (or at all), 100secs can be a pretty long time where having them up does nothing but increase signature.

Second, I thought I read in other guides nothing engineering does influences the shield's recharge timer, so, it should be safe to put the shield's pips on engine (and be it only for faster turning) once they are down? What good will 5 pips do if they are down anyway?

BrightCandle
06-06-2017, 07:26 PM
A lot of this guide directly contradicts data that I have gathered in my understanding engineering and I know to be false. You haven't done your due diligence and I can't recommend people follow this.

LtCdr-Stewart
06-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the write-up, I agree with most! This one part confused me though.

First, so that means once at 0%, shields recharge in 115 seconds, no matter if shields are up or lowered? And if so, I am still not sure if lowering shields isn't a helpful thing to do in some scenarios since it reduces signature and new enemies might not attack so quickly (or at all), 100secs can be a pretty long time where having them up does nothing but increase signature.

Second, I thought I read in other guides nothing engineering does influences the shield's recharge timer, so, it should be safe to put the shield's pips on engine (and be it only for faster turning) once they are down? What good will 5 pips do if they are down anyway?

Yes they recharge the same the only difference is if you have them down it takes an extra 10 sec for them to come back up. Most of the time the Klingons call for reinforcements they already know you are there. It is not 115 seconds though it is 1 min 15 sec or 75 sec a very big difference.

Yeah BrightCandle is correct it does not matter what you do the shield recharge is the same it seemed a lot faster when I had full power to shields because everyone was telling me 115 sec and with full power to shields it was recharging in 75 sec. I did not test it correctly with no power.

LtCdr-Stewart
06-06-2017, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=BrightCandle;12695633]A lot of this guide directly contradicts data that I have gathered in my understanding engineering and I know to be false. You haven't done your due diligence and I can't recommend people follow this.[/QU

Let me know what is contradicted so I can go back over it. Would be nice if they had an actual manual to tell us stuff like most other games. I just read over your guide and everything was the same I had 50 damage on torps with max phasers so I don't understand that. Ever hit from torps took my shields down by 10% not 14% at 5.8 on shields.

Retested Shield recharge rate it was 75 sec for everything it did not matter if you had power into shields or not. It is not 115 sec though it is 1 min 15 sec.

aliceST123
06-06-2017, 09:18 PM
A lot of this guide directly contradicts data that I have gathered in my understanding engineering and I know to be false. You haven't done your due diligence and I can't recommend people follow this.

Can you elaborate on this? I read your guide first and just trying to optimize that role, so I am confident some misunderstandings will be cleared if experience is exchanged by everyone who is dedicated to engineering. Also, data on some things should be easy to find out by reverse engineering the game, it would help to know if source of findings is experience/tests or taken from files.

LtCdr-Stewart
06-06-2017, 11:18 PM
Well now I'm thinking the enemy is doing something with their shields because I am not getting the same damage everytime at max phasers are the enemies actually changing their shield strength? One torp did 30% damage to shields another did 50 and another only did 20? Same with phasers the damage is all over the place it is not the same everytime of course it was different ships does that have something to do with it? Be nice if we had a Dev tell us how engineering really works or a manual on it. The turn rate is always the same depending on what power. I was testing different enemy ships and the same thing with shields at max a torp did 10-14% damage it was not consistent it was from different ships though.