PDA

View Full Version : Things that annoyed me the most about Syndicate

dargor5
06-03-2017, 08:00 PM
This is not a rant, mostly constructive criticism. I am a long time AC fan and have played every single AC creed there is (except for liberation, to many immersion breaking mechanics). I am a 3D artist student and have worked on some games so I know how some of this stuff is made and why.

Absolutely everything is climable. In Syndicate (and Unity) everything that is climable has a "snap to climb" function. This makes the character want to climb something if it is remotely in the direction we are running to. In escape and stealth missions this can be very frustrating because the character jumps to a place we did not intended to. This also causes the character to choose its own climb path some times. This did not happen in AC 1,2,3 and Black Flag because we had less "snap to climb" things on the map or this feature was not present. It makes the parkour look fluid, but more often than not, is in the way.

Difficulty restrictions. In AC Unity I was able to clear places and missions that were many levels above mine if I did it right, in Syndicate, thugs have some sort of kevlar until you reach a certain level of equipment forcing you to level up your gear. Player choice is always better.

Batman fighting mechanics. Honestly is nice that in Syndicate enemies are not just waiting in line to be murdered, but the fact that you enter this "fighting mode" makes it clumsy if you want to escape. In previous AC you could punch a couple of guys, turn around and run. Now if you are fighting, trying to escape is very frustrating because of this "mode" you are in. I usually find myself pressing space bar or WSAD to move away just to see my character standing there.

Other than that I am really looking forward to AC Origins :)

strigoi1958
06-03-2017, 10:48 PM
I used to struggle with game mechanics because I always felt games should adapt to the way I play... or at least to the way other games are, that I find easier.. then one day, I realised I had it all wrong... it is not the games that needed to change to suit me, I needed to adapt to each game. :)

As soon as I realised that even a new game in a series should be treated as a new challenge,I started to focus on different ways to achieve my goals. Luckily in Unity we had co-op and I was amazed at how many players had vastly different play styles and some were incredibly fast and effective, others were slow and methodical and still effective.... but all of them said their style was different to how they had played Ezio's games, ac3 and ac4 BF.

Each game gives us different tools, skills, enemies and problems.. so playing syndicate while trying to do chain kills like previous games does not work.

There are people who prefer the snap to climb. and it was there in earlier games as well. It took me a long time to just allow it to happen by free running, I tried to do every jump as a separate movement instead of letting it flow.

As for difficulty... there needs to be tougher enemies or the game would not need skill trees or better weapons/ armour. But that said, I recently started a new game after a long time and I travelled across London and even at level 3, I only died when I got to Westminster level 8 or 9. As for breaking away from a fight, smoke bomb. I always equip that in case I should run into a big group of enemies... although usually, I prefer silent/ stealth kills... but in Unity I saw a guy run through a mission on his own, using smoke bombs in about 4 minutes and it used to take 4 of us 10 minutes. Changing our play style and adapting to a game is more rewarding than preferring it to be like another game.

And I'm looking forward to Origins as well :)

dargor5
06-03-2017, 11:24 PM
I used to struggle with game mechanics because I always felt games should adapt to the way I play... or at least to the way other games are, that I find easier.. then one day, I realised I had it all wrong... it is not the games that needed to change to suit me, I needed to adapt to each game. :)

As soon as I realised that even a new game in a series should be treated as a new challenge,I started to focus on different ways to achieve my goals. Luckily in Unity we had co-op and I was amazed at how many players had vastly different play styles and some were incredibly fast and effective, others were slow and methodical and still effective.... but all of them said their style was different to how they had played Ezio's games, ac3 and ac4 BF.

Each game gives us different tools, skills, enemies and problems.. so playing syndicate while trying to do chain kills like previous games does not work.

There are people who prefer the snap to climb. and it was there in earlier games as well. It took me a long time to just allow it to happen by free running, I tried to do every jump as a separate movement instead of letting it flow.

As for difficulty... there needs to be tougher enemies or the game would not need skill trees or better weapons/ armour. But that said, I recently started a new game after a long time and I travelled across London and even at level 3, I only died when I got to Westminster level 8 or 9. As for breaking away from a fight, smoke bomb. I always equip that if I could run into a big group of enemies... although usually, I prefer silent/ stealth kills... but in Unity I saw a guy run through a mission on his own, using smoke bombs in about 4 minutes and it used to take 4 of us 10 minutes. Changing our play style and adapting to a game is more rewarding than preferring it to be like another game.

And I'm looking forward to Origins as well :)

Yes I agree that we as gamers adapt to the tools they give us. I wrote this because as far as controlling the character, I find Syndicate to be a bit clumsy. The fact that sometimes you press a button and your character does nothing in the middle of a fight can be somewhat frustrating. As I said the other point of the snap to climb, is not all bad, I do enjoy how fluent the parkour is because of that, but since every single surface is climable, your characcter may want to climb something that is to the right even if you are going straight. This is did not happen previously because the climable surfaces were not as common as they are in Syndicate.
I am not saying I don't like the game because of this, just something that can be improved IMO.
Still my favorite AC is still Unity and I hope they don't go full pirate again with Origins.

strigoi1958
06-04-2017, 02:51 AM
Oh I know you like the game, your words were well thought out. I just see new things in games as a puzzle or challenge to overcome. So I am more careful which keys I press when I am close to a climbable wall. :)

As for Origins I think ships are confirmed but there will not be sea battles. :) but we'll only know when Ubi announce it on the 12th :)

naumaan
06-04-2017, 03:51 AM
This is not a rant, mostly constructive criticism. I am a long time AC fan and have played every single AC creed there is (except for liberation, to many immersion breaking mechanics). I am a 3D artist student and have worked on some games so I know how some of this stuff is made and why.

Absolutely everything is climable. In Syndicate (and Unity) everything that is climable has a "snap to climb" function. This makes the character want to climb something if it is remotely in the direction we are running to. In escape and stealth missions this can be very frustrating because the character jumps to a place we did not intended to. This also causes the character to choose its own climb path some times. This did not happen in AC 1,2,3 and Black Flag because we had less "snap to climb" things on the map or this feature was not present. It makes the parkour look fluid, but more often than not, is in the way.

Difficulty restrictions. In AC Unity I was able to clear places and missions that were many levels above mine if I did it right, in Syndicate, thugs have some sort of kevlar until you reach a certain level of equipment forcing you to level up your gear. Player choice is always better.

Batman fighting mechanics. Honestly is nice that in Syndicate enemies are not just waiting in line to be murdered, but the fact that you enter this "fighting mode" makes it clumsy if you want to escape. In previous AC you could punch a couple of guys, turn around and run. Now if you are fighting, trying to escape is very frustrating because of this "mode" you are in. I usually find myself pressing space bar or WSAD to move away just to see my character standing there.

Hello brother dargor, its nice to have a 3d artist in us, how are you? and whats up in gaming?

As strigoi said, each game has its own mechanics, you can't actually go play a game with controls of far cry when what you are playing is witcher, the game mechanics of Unity were awesome as they were. The game mechanics of Assassins Creed were always difficult to grasp in start but you get a hold on them when you play a bit, it gets difficult when you change controls from AC revelation to AC3 and then from AC black flag to AC Unity and AC Syndicate. 2d game mechanics annoy me alot, and that is why I could not play the 2d series of AC which is not good in exploring AC Stories further.

Leveling up feature is also present in AC Unity, as far as I know. how did you play an upper level without upgrading? I am curious.

I am also looking for the Assassins Creed Empire or Origins, which ever it is and if you get any news regarding Assassins Creed Empire or Origin, do make an entry in my thread AC Empire.
Also don't forget to share your gaming experience in the what are you doing with respect to gaming thread.
It will be awesome to have you there.

To your topic in general, what really annoys me is the
1. frame rate I am getting on my low end 3rd generation laptop, which is none of ubisoft or uplay's fault.
2. Unity was filled with too many bugs, many a times I had to use slow motion game cheater, and once I had to replay a mission countless times so that may be one day the bug goes away on its own. Unity was the most crappiest in bug keeping.

dargor5
06-05-2017, 02:48 AM
Hello brother dargor, its nice to have a 3d artist in us, how are you? and whats up in gaming?

As strigoi said, each game has its own mechanics, you can't actually go play a game with controls of far cry when what you are playing is witcher, the game mechanics of Unity were awesome as they were. The game mechanics of Assassins Creed were always difficult to grasp in start but you get a hold on them when you play a bit, it gets difficult when you change controls from AC revelation to AC3 and then from AC black flag to AC Unity and AC Syndicate. 2d game mechanics annoy me alot, and that is why I could not play the 2d series of AC which is not good in exploring AC Stories further.

Leveling up feature is also present in AC Unity, as far as I know. how did you play an upper level without upgrading? I am curious.

I am also looking for the Assassins Creed Empire or Origins, which ever it is and if you get any news regarding Assassins Creed Empire or Origin, do make an entry in my thread AC Empire.
Also don't forget to share your gaming experience in the what are you doing with respect to gaming thread.
It will be awesome to have you there.

To your topic in general, what really annoys me is the
1. frame rate I am getting on my low end 3rd generation laptop, which is none of ubisoft or uplay's fault.
2. Unity was filled with too many bugs, many a times I had to use slow motion game cheater, and once I had to replay a mission countless times so that may be one day the bug goes away on its own. Unity was the most crappiest in bug keeping.

When was the last time you played Unity? I got the game after the last patch and did not encounter any bugs, some weird animations yes but no horses flying off in the distance (saw that in Syndicate a few times after crashing into carriages). I even added a reshade to free the color palette and made the game even more eye candy.

I still stand by my OP that some mechanics in Syndicate have made the game a bit more clumsy than usual but after finishing the game you get used to them and they don't bother me that much. This is the part where I start a new game now that I know the mechanics by heart.
I honestly found the story Syndicate a bit boring in the beggining, but it does get better after a while.

I have seen this trend lately in other big open world games, like Mass Effect Andromeda where the story starts very dull and picks up after a few hours.I remember I was hooked from the first hour while playing all ACs before, but Syndicate really took a while to get interesting for me. Yes I know story is very subjective but what do you guys think?
I hope they ditch the "meta game" story for Origins, it just does not make sense any more, I really do not care about what happens in the modern world, that ended with Desmond.

strigoi1958
06-05-2017, 11:03 AM
I'm not really a story or graphics person, I like games for the gameplay but I do enjoy it if the graphics look nice, I really notice the attention to details in the image and the sound of games. The same goes for the story. I still notice if the story is good. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Henry Green and played as him. With Syndicate a lot went into the game, not just the actual size of the game but the many different collectables, the achievements, the perks, combos, fights, new skills/ equipment AND we get to play as TWO protagonists, so it would be incredible if the story overshadowed all that.

I think that....
With Ezio, he had a trilogy and over the 3 games people learned more about him, and started to really like him. When Connor was introduced, there were people who were upset about what happens in the MD story, there were people upset that there was no more Ezio and some were upset that Connor was different in personality to Ezio (not every protagonist has to be loud and larger than life.. even if we like them to be) SO. a lot of people said AC3 was boring, but I loved AC3, the homestead missions, the family twist with Haytham, the background of some of the enemies all made it great. It was only people upset with what the game didn't have, that stopped them appreciating all the great things it did have :(

Now with Syndicate we have 2 English people... we English are not very animated, we are generally reserved but fundamentally evil and polite lol ;) (just look at Hollywood and see how many movies cast an English person as a bad guy:) Even the crazy credits at the start of Deadpool acknowledges it with the line "A British villain" ) So when we compare Evie and Jacob to a suave Ezio or great (larger than life, over the top) characters from other games like Trevor Phillips (GTA V) or VAAS, Willis, Citra, Hurk, Hoyt, Sam, Buck and Dennis from Far Cry 3.. Pagan Min FC4... they do seem less interesting but that is because.. that is how we English are. There are subtle things like humour and tone of voice plus the differences between Jacob, Brash and Headstrong compared to Evie who is more thoughtful and stealthy that may go unnoticed. I admit they could have given people more cutscenes and background into them or even if they appear in another game, people would find them more interesting.

I tend to judge each game on its own, because if we compare games (even 2 epic games) it is never a draw... we always prefer one, so no matter how good the second one is, we consider it less and that's not fair.

I just played the WWII and the 1st Civ references were interesting. I even watch the modern day (MD) scenes and I'm not interested in MD at all. I liked that Mrs Disraeli's dog is called.....Desmond :) and The mission name Driving mrs Disraeli (like driving miss Daisy) :) I'm sure there are other references and easter eggs that we miss.

naumaan
06-05-2017, 10:45 PM
When was the last time you played Unity? I got the game after the last patch and did not encounter any bugs, some weird animations yes but no horses flying off in the distance (saw that in Syndicate a few times after crashing into carriages). I even added a reshade to free the color palette and made the game even more eye candy.

I still stand by my OP that some mechanics in Syndicate have made the game a bit more clumsy than usual but after finishing the game you get used to them and they don't bother me that much. This is the part where I start a new game now that I know the mechanics by heart.
I honestly found the story Syndicate a bit boring in the beggining, but it does get better after a while.

I have seen this trend lately in other big open world games, like Mass Effect Andromeda where the story starts very dull and picks up after a few hours.I remember I was hooked from the first hour while playing all ACs before, but Syndicate really took a while to get interesting for me. Yes I know story is very subjective but what do you guys think?
I hope they ditch the "meta game" story for Origins, it just does not make sense any more, I really do not care about what happens in the modern world, that ended with Desmond.

You are lucky enough that you played unity only when you updated the last patch, I started the game the day it released, other than my low end laptop and crashing because of it, there were some problems like arno flying in air near the ledges, then i need to restart the game many times, and well after patches it was rectified, but later on, in one mission when there is a party and arno have to follow the group and kill one of the templars, the sequence is like the templar group move together until the target templar moves away and go to his room after climbing stairs, I followed them and before they could reach the staircase, the whole group stops there like a statue, and I used to go around them, if there is a dance function in the game, i would have done that in front of them, that bug was honestly too much, and then the fight with robespiere, it was a never ending buggy battle, I had to install a slow motion cheat to decrease the speed to properly time it, and both of these bugs were after the latest patch of assassins creed unity

The story does get interesting in each and every AC game, they tell a specific tale in the animus sessions and I love that part, the only thing missing is what connects these stories, like its true that you are sitting in an animus session, but why, whats the purpose, are you an assassin or a templar, whats going on there, It was one of the plus point where it was easy to introduce the new games to new fellows around me that they can understand that the story is progressing from ac 1 to ac syndicate, its not a stand alone game, in desmond saga, that was easy, but now its very difficult to tell the previous story to new comers and it bugs me alot cuz most of the people I interact with don't know about Assassins Creed previous story. They can play the game but they cant go inside the lore. And it affects me too, as I am playing all the stories but I dont know where it is leading.

DSD27
06-06-2017, 12:55 AM

I agree with number one, although its a good thing that "everything" is climable. They should keep it that way but tweak the controls in order fix this annoying problem.

The diffiiculty resctrictions I kinda like it, the fightting mechanics problem is just not a thing, I can run away from a fight fast anytime I want. And what are you doing playing with mouse and keyboard? AC games are made for controller. :p