PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the wait for E3 scheme?

Sushiglutton
06-02-2017, 10:38 PM
What's your opinion on Ubi waiting for E3 to reveal AC this year (despite various T-shirts and other leaks)?

I kind of like it tbh. Seems to me like a lot of people realize how much they want a new AC by being forced to wait a bit. Also it makes the down time between games longer which is smart. Before it was AC all year long which I think contributed to franchise fatigue (well I'm here anyway, so doesn't apply to me lol). It also felt like revealing early there was always some controversy that Ubi were being hammered for over a few months which didn't do anything good for them.

Personally I can't wait for E3 and in particular for the AC reveal! Makes the entire E3 way more exciting.

VestigialLlama4
06-02-2017, 10:44 PM
About the only thing I like is they no longer seem to react or bother with "leaks". Earlier years, after a leak there would be a quick announcement fessing up or something.

Like the Unity-Teaser was obviously hastily put-together confirming the game after Kotaku leaked it (and got kicked out of their Press Preview Lists, for that, rightly so).

This time they are doing things as per their plan regardless of "leaks" and whatnot. They no longer care and as a result, fans no longer care about leaks.

That's how they should have been from the start. Not bother and be so pr-ckly.

Now of course Ubisoft could change this and leak ahead of E3 which would be...ahem...premature in my view.

But let's face it, this upcoming AC game is the first time since AC2 that they have taken a year off to get right, no reason for them after taking all this time, to not slug a few more days. A lot of people are waiting for this, so no need to not take additional time and do things as they desire.

cawatrooper9
06-02-2017, 10:45 PM
I think it's smart. They know what they're doing. After years of annual releases, taking a year off did generate some interest. Now they're playing hard to get by holding off so long, and it's generating even more interest.

I think that, at least for this year, they've done the unthinkable- they've managed to pretty effectively combat Assassins Creed franchise fatigue with the gaming community.

VestigialLlama4
06-02-2017, 10:47 PM
I think it's smart. They know what they're doing. After years of annual releases, taking a year off did generate some interest. Now they're playing hard to get by holding off so long, and it's generating even more interest.

I think that, at least for this year, they've done the unthinkable- they've managed to pretty effectively combat Assassins Creed franchise fatigue with the gaming community.

Assassin's Creed is one of the most popular global brands. I mean that AC movie wasn't very good but it still made back cost-of-production and earned a small profit on the international market. That's how big AC is.

SixKeys
06-03-2017, 01:27 AM
It works for this game, I think, due to the one-year break. People have high expectations and Ubi knows it. Whether this strategy will continue to work depends on what their plan is going forward (making AC annual again or bi-annual). If the development cycle is bi-annual or longer, people will expect big changes with every new title and will be disappointed if the early leaks don't reflect this.

What I'm most happy about is that they've remained consistent with their message of "it'll come when it's ready", instead of creating extra pressure for the devs by announcing the release date early.

crusader_prophet
06-03-2017, 01:55 AM
message of "it'll come when it's ready", instead of creating extra pressure for the devs by announcing the release date early.

This is exactly what I've wanted them to do always, and I'm happy. They should retain this philosophy.

LoyalACFan
06-03-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm okay with it, but then again, I'm in a bit of a unusual situation in that I'm actually going to be at E3 (not to rub it in, or anything :p). So it's more of an "event" for me. If I wasn't going to be there in person for all the hullabaloo, I don't know if I'd be a fan of waiting for E3. AC is a big enough name to be announced on some random weekday in March and still get a ton of buzz, so I don't think an E3 reveal is a must for the brand. Especially if it's been leaked already and basically everyone on the Internet knows about it.