PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Should the Forums' Console and PC sections be merged?

SixKeys
06-02-2017, 08:13 PM
This was brought up in another thread so I thought I'd make a poll.

Basically, some years ago some of us requested for a merger of the PC and console sections into one "General discussion" area, with the PC section renamed "Technical issues" or something. The reason being that PC players are sometimes confused and dismayed when they attempt to generate plot-related discussion in their forum but don't get any replies since the forum is mainly used to report bugs.

The then-forum manager said there was no plan to merge the sections at the time, but that the matter could be revisited in the future if there was enough support.

We're likely to get a lot of new members in the coming weeks and it might be useful to direct all non-technical conversation to one place. This would make PC players feel just as appreciated as console players and help unify the fandom. What do you guys think? :)

wvstolzing
06-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Yes, absolutely. That has been the de facto use for ages anyway.

Farlander1991
06-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I think they should. The irony is that most PC users use console forums because they're more active.

And this separation leads to weird things. Like, recently, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was patched on PC this month and now has official support of the Copernicus Conspiracy missions (previously the only way to get them to work on PC was via the work of a community member who took the PS3 files and then used hex-editor to make them work more or less properly on PC).

This is news that you can't put on console forums, as it's PC only, but the biggest chunk of the audience who might be interested in that is not viewing PC forums!

SixKeys
06-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I think they should. The irony is that most PC users use console forums because they're more active.

And this separation leads to weird things. Like, recently, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was patched on PC this month and now has official support of the Copernicus Conspiracy missions (previously the only way to get them to work on PC was via the work of a community member who took the PS3 files and then used hex-editor to make them work more or less properly on PC).

This is news that you can't put on console forums, as it's PC only, but the biggest chunk of the audience who might be interested in that is not viewing PC forums!

Wat? I wasn't aware of this. :eek: I almost never check the PC section since 98% of it is people complaining about bugs. This is precisely why we need the merger!

cawatrooper9
06-02-2017, 08:37 PM
I think it makes sense to do so.

I'm most active on the AC forums here, but from the times I've visited stuff like Watch Dogs, Far Cry, and For Honor, it doesn't seem like this separation is standard for the site.

Not sure who'd be in charge of making the change (Loco?) but I think it'd be a great way to strengthen the AC community even more on here!

Sorrosyss
06-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Good suggestion. To be honest the forums could use reordering, for example the multiplayer boards could be merged to one board, with stuff like recruitment etc left as a sticky. Just try and condense the traffic a bit. If you look at the other Ubi game forums they have a much more sensical setup even, so I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet for AC. Now seems a good time, as we're on the verge of the Origins rebrand too. :)

cawatrooper9
06-02-2017, 09:26 PM
So right now we have:
Console
PC
Hints and Tips
Tech Support
Community Creations
Mobile

If possible, how would we feel about merging both general discussions, throwing in hints and tips/community creations/mobile (since all three are pretty slow pages, and already are often posted here anyway) and then making tech support its own forum?
So it would be:
Assassins Creed General Discussion
Technical Support

We could make community content its own thing, but I personally feel like it's best merged in. Plus, the Tumblr thread often hosts a lot of that stuff, anyway.

Also, we could do what some forums do and have a separate News and Announcements page, but I think that stuff can be handled pretty well by stickies.

Sorrosyss
06-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Not bad Cawa. As you said there is so little traffic on most of those sub forums, we may as well condense them down to stickies. Hell, the main Reddit page pretty much handles every topic type just fine, I don't see why we can't. It would help liven this place up a bit too.

cawatrooper9
06-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Not bad Cawa. As you said there is so little traffic on most of those sub forums, we may as well condense them down to stickies. Hell, the main Reddit page pretty much handles every topic type just fine, I don't see why we can't. It would help liven this place up a bit too.

Thanks.

The only other thought I had was that, since Assassins Creed is so immersed in lore, we might want something like this:

Assassins Creed General Discussion
Assassins Creed Gameplay Discussion
Technical Issues and Support

That way, lore discussions could be held on one page (including stuff from comics, movies, etc) while specific gameplay mechanics and tips could be discussed on the other page. But again, not sure if this would help keep things from getting messy, or if it would just segment the community.

SixKeys
06-02-2017, 10:01 PM
I agree with Cawatrooper. Everyone who posts creative content does it in the general discussion area anyway, and there's a bigger chance of getting views here.

Mobile section should be kept, IMO. We know there are at least two AC mobile games that are being developed for the Chinese market but could very well make their way to the rest of the world at some point. And who knows if the upcoming Origins will have a companion app or not.

Multiplayer section could do with some spring cleaning, too. Right now there's:

News and Announcements
Multiplayer Community Help/Bug Reports
Clan Recruitment
Tournaments
Strategies
General Discussion

News/Announcements could be merged into General Discussion, Clans and Tournaments could be merged into one. Not sure why Strategies was ever its own section.

So, my suggestion for single-player forums:

General Discussion
Technical Support/Bug Reports
Mobile

For multiplayer:

General Discussion
Clan Recruitment/Tournaments
Technical Support/Bug Reports

Edit: I don't see a reason to separate gameplay and general discussion. Some people are here for the lore, some mainly for gameplay. By separating them, you end up avoiding interesting discussions about how gameplay and lore are sometimes at odds with each other, which is useful info for the devs.

cawatrooper9
06-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Edit: [/B]I don't see a reason to separate gameplay and general discussion. Some people are here for the lore, some mainly for gameplay. By separating them, you end up avoiding interesting discussions about how gameplay and lore are sometimes at odds with each other, which is useful info for the devs.

Yeah, that's a really good point. I agree.

Regarding mobile- are those forums really active?
I honestly didn't even know there was a mobile forum, and I see posts for mobile games pretty frequently in the Console area (I literally made one yesterday about Identity).

Turul9
06-02-2017, 10:11 PM
The games aren't different enough outside of bugs and general performance, nor is multiplayer a thing anymore so,

Yeah it makes sense.

SixKeys
06-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Yeah, that's a really good point. I agree.

Regarding mobile- are those forums really active?
I honestly didn't even know there was a mobile forum, and I see posts for mobile games pretty frequently in the Console area (I literally made one yesterday about Identity).

Not sure how active, but judging by the current thread count, the Mobile section is about six times more popular than Community Creations and Tips & Hints. Console section currently has 878 total threads, PC section has 894, Technical Support 1126 and Mobile 642. The other two sections both have under 100 threads.

Sushiglutton
06-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Perhaps there should only be tech help forums. And other types of discussions reserved for Reddit? I'm not on reddit myself, but I check it out every now and then and there's waaaay more action.

cawatrooper9
06-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Perhaps there should only be tech help forums. And other types of discussions reserved for Reddit? I'm not on reddit myself, but I check it out every now and then and there's waaaay more action.

Get out of here with that kind of talk. :p

Kidding, but I'd really hate to see these forums go.

Sushiglutton
06-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Get out of here with that kind of talk. :p

Kidding, but I'd really hate to see these forums go.

Yeah me too, but I feel we are going the way of the dinosaurs :(

SixKeys
06-02-2017, 10:30 PM
I've been on the forums for 7 years, I'm not about to leave them now! *shakes cane*

Black_Widow9
06-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Here's the thing. It's slow right now. So slow. If it picks up again, there's usually 13-11 pages a day in the General Discussion Forum, half of which belong in the Tech Forum. I see what you're saying about merging all the things but we have separate forums so people can gather together around a subject instead of having it lost every day. I'm not saying we're opposed to considering your suggestions or don't have ideas of our own but it's definitely something for you to think about. ;)

Sushiglutton
06-02-2017, 10:40 PM
I've been on the forums for 7 years, I'm not about to leave them now! *shakes cane*

Have a like oldtimer :)!

cawatrooper9
06-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Here's the thing. It's slow right now. So slow. If it picks up again, there's usually 13-11 pages a day in the General Discussion Forum, half of which belong in the Tech Forum. I see what you're saying about merging all the things but we have separate forums so people can gather together around a subject instead of having it lost every day. I'm not saying we're opposed to considering your suggestions or don't have ideas of our own but it's definitely something for you to think about. ;)

That's true. Maybe it would be better to wait until after E3, to better gauge how traffic is then.

ze_topazio
06-03-2017, 12:16 AM
I never understood why they are separated.

crusader_prophet
06-03-2017, 04:35 PM
I think at least merging the general discussion across all platforms would make sense. I don't see why the general discussion needs to be separate even if the traffic is high. The technical support should remain separate - console, PC and mobile. Don't know about community creations. MP and Hints/Tips could be a sticky in the General Discussion and Tech Support sections, if needed.

HDinHB
06-05-2017, 06:38 AM
I've wondered for a long time why they are separate. Most of the other games don't have separate PC and console sections, unless you go back to Far Cry 4 and Watchdogs 1. Several games have a separate forum for each game in the series. I'm not in favor of that either.

How do you think people in the PC forum would answer the poll?

SixKeys
06-05-2017, 10:24 AM
I've wondered for a long time why they are separate. Most of the other games don't have separate PC and console sections, unless you go back to Far Cry 4 and Watchdogs 1. Several games have a separate forum for each game in the series. I'm not in favor of that either.

How do you think people in the PC forum would answer the poll?

Not sure if it says something about me or the traffic on this side of the forum that I honestly even forgot to post this in the PC section, lol. Should go do that.

pirate1802
06-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Yes. I hardly check the PC forums and I'm a PC player.

Yeah me too, but I feel we are going the way of the dinosaurs :(

In the past couple of years I've seen a few of my favourite boards croak. Imdb boards are gone. More surprisingly, Bioware forums are gone as well. and that place used to be buzzing with activity pretty much round the year. Both gave reasons for discontinuing their forums basically as "well most of discussions these days take place on facebook anyways so..." I wouldn't be surprised if most of the famous discussion forums get offloaded to social media sites in the near future. Can't say I'm a big fan of this trend, it's like putting all your eggs in one basket.

HDinHB
06-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Ugh, facebook.

At least here we can have or custom sig... >_>

strigoi1958
06-06-2017, 10:47 PM
I did like the signatures but they must have really slowed up the forum for some people.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/19023487_1135231973288864_5940269614070662030_o.jp g?oh=921780a5399f5fa87d7369bf7bf05ea1&oe=59DB5378

cawatrooper9
06-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Wow, looks like they did it, and it looks great!

This is really exciting, guys!

And hello to anyone who frequented the PC area or any other area than console that I may not know!

Ubi-QuB3
06-09-2017, 02:40 PM
And it's done. Say hello to the reworked forums. Should be a bit more clean now. :)

cawatrooper9
06-09-2017, 02:58 PM
And it's done. Say hello to the reworked forums. Should be a bit more clean now. :)

Absolutely, looks great!
Love the subforums idea, too.

crusader_prophet
06-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Love it mods & managers! Thank you!

Locopells
06-09-2017, 05:21 PM
That's what I get for expecting anything to be normal today...

SixKeys
06-09-2017, 05:22 PM
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32300000/Brofist-Of-Bene-the-assassins-32338293-491-458.gif

BananaBlighter
06-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Much nicer.

ze_topazio
06-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Congratulations SixKeys, you won.

Helforsite
06-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Really nice, good job and thanks for your quick reaction to all mods!

naumaan
06-10-2017, 12:43 AM
As the PC and console sections are merged now, if a PC user comes here and want to ask something about, game crashed, system config and something like that, where can the user post

wvstolzing
06-10-2017, 01:01 AM
As the PC and console sections are merged now, if a PC user comes here and want to ask something about, game crashed, system config and something like that, where can the user post

There's a separate technical support forum. See: http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/189-Assassin-s-Creed-Community-Support

Sorrosyss
06-10-2017, 01:00 PM
I'm slow and only just noticed. Nice work SixKeys and Ubi. This is much better. :)

Sushiglutton
06-10-2017, 01:51 PM
http://thenerdstash.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IMG_1163.jpg

Black_Widow9
06-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Truth