PDA

View Full Version : VR headsets for map editing

AW LOST SOLDIER
06-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Imagine if we could use VR headsets to walk around and build in our map creations.

Fallen-Champ
06-02-2017, 05:06 PM
I don't own one, have no intention of ever trying one so it would be no good for me.

I did once try a Black Ops game with 3D Glasses at a friends house and after 20 mins of MP felt exhausted, map building takes a lot of hours so would it not get very uncomfortable wearing one of those things for say 5 or 6 hours at a time.

I think VR is a con, maybe only one game Far Point so far worth getting from info I have read, quick fix games and a high cost for the equipment, it wouldn't be worth the extra time and cost adding it in surely.

usmovers_02
06-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Vr is definitely not a con. I own the rift and about 50 titles. Most are shovel ware or tech demos. But I'd say 10-15 that are proper games that are absolutely ground breaking.

Motion sickness I find is a serious issue in fast moving 1st person games. Teleportation wouldn't work in FC either. I'd love it but I can't see it working.

Fallen-Champ
06-02-2017, 08:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrOAAdU30HE

It's one of those things where I can't or shouldn't really comment as I have not ever used VR.
Don't know the stats between it on PC to PS4 - I have read that there are people concerned with the PS4 version as it had been slow with good titles lately but supposedly Far Point is a good game.

One article I read that you couldn't turn around 360 degrees, I have not seen enough, lots on PS4 look more like on the rails shooters rather than full on 1st person shooters.
Tell you what I will pop round and see a friend who has the PSVR and have a go in the next fortnight then I can give a better indication of my opinion on it, Unsure of the difference between Rift and PSVR I imagine the Sony version would be more competitive on price but hardware might struggle a little.

usmovers_02
06-02-2017, 08:13 PM
I haven't played the psvr but I know it's lower resolution than the rift which is really bad because pixels are easily visible on oculus. 360 movement is dependant on the game and your ability to step over the power cord. Complex user interfaces are FAR more intuitive with the touch/move controllers.

However for most generas traditional game play doesn't translate well at all. Many or even most people will experience severe motion sickness that isn't cured by taking the head set off in fast paced first person games. A stationary cockpit like that of a car will mitigate most sicknesses but not all. The best way to avoid motion sickness in first person games is to make the player move very slow or teleport around the map without moving at all. Neither of which would work for far cry imo

Restylex.
09-28-2017, 03:46 PM
Have used the PS4 VR yesterday. Yes you can see more details using the VR, like texture placement. But i guess that will be the same with a big Full HD screen. One plus point, you don't get distracted by your surrounding.