PDA

View Full Version : Why are Oculus users not allowed to raise MSAA for better graphics like the Vive can?

Dibelabbes
05-31-2017, 12:00 PM
There is a graphic.config file in the game folder that allows you to change the graphic settings, including the advanced physics settings.

The same file also allows to set MSAA, but only for Vive users:

> Multisample Antialiasing for Vive users (NOTE: MSAA is auto-managed for Oculus users) Higher MSAA levels greatly improve aliasing (jagged edges), at a substantial cost in graphics performance. Valid settings are 2, 4, or 8.

> ViveMSAALevel=8

I can't of course measure it, but to me the game looks like it is only using 2x MSAA on my system (GTX 1080).

Ubisoft, can we (Oculus users) also please get the option to choose a higher MSAA level?!

BTW, does anybody know how to force the game bought on Steam to use Steam VR instead of the Oculus SDK?

andymoosonofbob
05-31-2017, 12:03 PM
I know it isnt the same but could you use the Oculus Tray Tool or the Oculus debug to increase pixel density? That really enhances the picture quality.

I only have 1070 and I am able to crank that baby up to 1.5. I haven't tried to go higher but might.

Dibelabbes
05-31-2017, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I done that already but as you said its not the same. The higher SS value via Oculus Tray Tool doesn't help much at all with aliasing.

Cmd_Decker
05-31-2017, 02:44 PM
You can just edit the gaphics.config file in the game directory and set pixel density, physics and MSAA.

Dibelabbes
05-31-2017, 03:45 PM
You can just edit the gaphics.config file in the game directory and set pixel density, physics and MSAA.

As the file it self states, MSAA can only be manually set for Vive users, but not Oculus players.

thebrightshadow
05-31-2017, 08:39 PM
I actually turned off my AA for the game in favor of full graphics effects and 1.5x supersampling (set with advanced settings). I have an i5 (overclocked though from 3.4 to 4.5ghz) and a hybrid GTX 1080, and I found I was getting some frame drops at certain times until I turned off the AA which didn't really impact given the super-sampling anyway. And yes I'm on a Vive. Just my 2cents.

Edit: Specifically frame drops when using the full graphics setting.