PDA

View Full Version : 25 hours of PVP into the game - Review time

Anarnam
05-29-2017, 09:05 AM
TL:DR - Combat is great, game is addictive, bugs, disconnects, glitches are gamebreaking

Hi community,

So, since the very beta tests I wanted to try out For Honor as for me it seemed (and still does) like a game with incredible INCREDIBLE potential. Finally, when I bought my new PC, I received gift copy for purchasing my GPU (that was actually quite awesome) so I was more than happy to try out For Honor. I wasn't wrong in my predictions - the game is incredibly addictive for me - once I start playing, its really REALLY hard to stop (even though at the beginning I was destroyed like hell). Here are some positive points below:

1. General combat concept - really, nothing to say here - it's absolutely awesome - and that's BIG BIG plus

2. People help learn the basics - I couldn't believe it at first, but when I said to a player with prestige 21 (when I was lvl 2 p0 - I'll get to that later) that I need help, he actually showed me how warden works, showed me some basic tricks etc - that wasn't the only helpful person. That really helped me stay in the game as I was beginning to get frustrated after loosing 99% of matches. Right now I'm starting to win even against high prestige (from time to time) without much of a problem

3. Graphics and animations are really nice

4. Combat is easy to learn but hard to master - love games where you can get up to speed quickly, but to really become a master of your craft you need to spend lots of hours to really learn that incredible reflex and skillsets to bring out the best positive outcome for you

And now for the bad part, for which I am really concerned, as I see people complain about those and stop playing the game because of those (and I don't want this game to be dead anytime soon, or even in 5 years)

1. Errors/DC's - within 25 hours of me playing PVP (And some hours during PVE) something with the game went wrong. Either ubisoft was offline and I couldn't play at all, or in most cases someone got kicked out of the game becasue... I don't know why. This game beats the world record in game disconnects and I am incredibly concerned that if someone received penalty for getting disconnected, that would result in so much salt around... People are saying its becasue of p2p - so I blame it on terrible choice of using p2p connection.

2. Matchmaking - I mentioned me being lvl 2 p0 fighting against a player with (at least) 21 prestige (he had that with his 1 character) - is it safe to say that matchmaking is completely broken? Sometimes it seems that I'm getting quite balanced players (Right now for me getting someone with prestige 10 is a chillout fight), but then I get a beast that kills me in 8 seconds not allowing me to do a single move if I don't parry the very first attack (check Spliced on YouTube and his centurion)

3. Matchmaking part 2 - I usually play 1v1 - I could also play 2v2 because people don't distrupt eatch others fights. The thing is that within 25 hours I already recognize (if no remember fully) the names of players I played with yesterday or even a week ago - I'm constantly being thrown into a fight with the same people. I want diversity. Other case is If for example I win against someone, and decide there is no further point fighting against him (right now), I want to leave and get a new player... but then right after I go into matchmaking I get the very same player I just destroyed 10 times (or destroyed me). To avoid that I need to wait 3 minutes for him to find the fight first before I can join in the queue...

4. THE GLITCH - absolutely gamebreaking alt+f4 aspect of the game. I was watching a guy on Youtube practicing Warden glitch on a training session. I was absolutely smashed to see such exploit in the game, that can be used in such an easy way. Right after seeing that guide I started fighting against wardens. BOOM dead... BOOM dead... BOOM dead... This is absolutely untolerable. To not see that fixed within 1 day of its appearance is a sick joke (and about this I'm really mad)

5. I thought I'd like dominion and 4v4 but I don't - concept of 3v1 at some point is terrible. The game is apparently designed in a way where 3 equally skilled players are in 100% probability able to kill 1 just as skilled player. I hope that ranked games will be available only in 1v1 :D (Wishful thinking)

In my opinions I avoided itemization, and paid services such as for example seasonal pass.

Conclusion:
I like For Honor very much, and even though the cons of the game are really annoying and gamebreaking I can't stop playing the game when I have the time for it - it's so demanding yet satisfying to play.
1 person said during my game that "For Honor is a great game developed by wrong people" - I don't want to think that, even though my lifetime opinion about ubisoft wasn't positive (in soft words). I want to see more progress on the game, fixes and especially addressing issues regarding gamebreaking exploits.

Thanks

Edit: Forgot to mention some bugs, where for example after succesful GB it was impossible for my warden to do double light attack (after game reload it was once again possible) or moments where even though I was very far away from my enemy as nobushi, the enemy was able to gb me easily (happened only once)

YuBiShiGouShi
05-29-2017, 09:34 AM
I agree with this as a whole. Matchmaking is terrible, ganking is a serious problem, networking is the worst I've ever seen, terrible character balance and a ridiculous exploit since beta that hasn't been patch in almost 5 months. I really want to love this game but I hate it more and more everyday. Sadly there's not much available right now that interests me. All Ubisoft games this generation have been complete let downs for me. Ghost Recon - No PVP (WTF!!!! Why?) No to mention the Shinobo and Centurion have single handed made bad players really good and that's just bad. Maybe that's why there numbers and sales and revenue are in the toilet. My advice to anybody thinking about buying this game, Dont do it. This game was good for the casual player until Season 2 release.

OP. Great write up.

Y_Shrewditch
05-29-2017, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the battlefield ;)

Matchmaking is indeed a bit wonky, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the number of players active at that time than the logarithmics behind it. On the one hand it would be nice to be paired with evenly skilled players (whatever that may be or how this is determined), on the other hand, I learn most from people playing better than me (of which there are many).

I also found that the players in Duels are the most friendly and helpful, in Brawls a bit less, and 4v4's are a free for all and tend to get rather toxic.

And concerning the (legitimate) rage on bugs and other discomforts, I see it as a sign how good the game is at its core. If they didn't care about it they wouldn't rage about it.

I think it mostly depends on your attitude, if you're willing to spend some time training to overcome the learning-curve and don't expect to win just because you mushed some buttons harder, this is a great game to play. It has it's 'challenges' for sure, some fair, some not so much, but if you can accept the bad along with the good, I find this one of the most entertaining games I've played in a long time.

I'm on PC too, so hopefully we'll match up for some great fights!

Y

kweassa1917
05-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Thx for the interesting review.

RatedChaotic
05-29-2017, 01:04 PM
You pretty much stated all the reasons why I refuse to pvp and prefer to play versus AI. I love to pvp in games but pvp here is joke and I refuse to game in it. It has too many imbalances and glitches/bugs for me to have fun Because I'll question every win or loss I receive whether or not I won/lost by way of a bug/exploit. They need to correct alot of mistakes before I go in pvp in this game. I know I have won and lost matches due to bugs. Thats not the kind of pvp I enjoy. Therefore I refuse to be part of it.

Anarnam
05-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Thanks for replies guys

I think playing for honor against bots has not reason whatsoever.
Of course, you can go vs AI when you want to make your daily quickly, or wanna quickly go through new champ. Other than that there is no point for me to ever play against bots.

Recently I found some people being toxic in a way where I'm playing nobushi and the opponent looses as a centurion and he blames me for attacking him with lights and eventually calling me noob(isn't nobushi all about the poke?). I thought for the most part that kick-spamming centurions are the least skillful strategy to play (which btw is easily counterable).

Except one-hit KO combo of Warden (whom I reported, as I record my videos and hope to put those on youtube soon) I didn't run into some gamebreaking mechanics. I encountered player with slight lags who was doing gb instantly without any animation (I'm guessing it was because of his lags). I enjoy PVP almost fully.
What I don't like is the 50/50 tactics, especially when playing against warden or shinobi. Both can use sb/kick but they don't have to and may decide either to toplight/light / gb / finish the attack. Impossible to fully counter every time. That's a bummer for me. Well in general I'm not convinced about feint mechanics. Berserkers are impossible with their punishing feints and constant dodge->punish attacks.

Personally I find nobushi's stance one of the most satisfying moves to use once I started to understand how it actually works.

DrinkinMyStella
05-30-2017, 09:31 AM
8 days played and things are getting worse and worse.

Herbstlicht
05-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks for replies guys

I think playing for honor against bots has not reason whatsoever.
Of course, you can go vs AI when you want to make your daily quickly, or wanna quickly go through new champ. Other than that there is no point for me to ever play against bots.

Recently I found some people being toxic in a way where I'm playing nobushi and the opponent looses as a centurion and he blames me for attacking him with lights and eventually calling me noob(isn't nobushi all about the poke?). I thought for the most part that kick-spamming centurions are the least skillful strategy to play (which btw is easily counterable).

Except one-hit KO combo of Warden (whom I reported, as I record my videos and hope to put those on youtube soon) I didn't run into some gamebreaking mechanics. I encountered player with slight lags who was doing gb instantly without any animation (I'm guessing it was because of his lags). I enjoy PVP almost fully.
What I don't like is the 50/50 tactics, especially when playing against warden or shinobi. Both can use sb/kick but they don't have to and may decide either to toplight/light / gb / finish the attack. Impossible to fully counter every time. That's a bummer for me. Well in general I'm not convinced about feint mechanics. Berserkers are impossible with their punishing feints and constant dodge->punish attacks.

Personally I find nobushi's stance one of the most satisfying moves to use once I started to understand how it actually works.

Hahaha xD
Thats funny! Cent loosing to Nobushi and blaming her light attacks .. oh my, for real? You can rather easily parry those, even out of hidden stance. Na, you will always run into salty players. But rest assured, killing a Cent with Nobushi is a nice feat. Nobushi misses a side dodge attack with a real dodge property, has low guard change speed and even her range is of no real advantage because Centurion can rather easily close the gap. Especially on paper, Cent has every advantage there is - frame advantage on every attack, better punish, Nobushi kick vs his kick / punch / whatevers just plain sucks and the Cent doesn't even suffer from lower health or reflex guard. And even if someone tells you Nobushi is so incredible vs cent due to hidden stance - this move is sooo incredible risky against cent, I would really advice against using it right now. The stamina drain and stop of regeneration is incredibly dangerous.

When it comes to Berserkers though, the game gets rather fair. Most Berserker players by now are rather good with their class though by now, so you are likely going to have a hard time.

Anyway, if I were to review the game ...
I'd say i still like it. Just Dominion (my favorite game mode) is rather unfun right now. Hope that gets better rather sooner then later.

Anarnam
05-30-2017, 11:14 AM
I might (and probably am) wrong about this but I think nobushi is a soft counter to centurion. Centurion never dodges to the side what makes nobushi stronger against him. 1 proper use of hidden stance and centurion loses 50% of his hp.

I've read some posts about nobushi being really slow and I think I agree. I'd be very satisfied if her hidden stance was faster and her guard change better, or either one of those - I wouldn't recommend increasing speed of the kick because it would become an extremely unhealthy mechanic like shoulder bash for example. Seeing peace keeper spamming light attacks when I'm stuck to a wall makes me get a cancer. I'm not saying PK is OP... I'm simply unable to do anything because I can't change the guard in time against shinobi or PK.

Weird thing for me is that heavy attack seems even faster than light attack from hidden stance which is weird (but cool).

As I play I can see more and more frustrations, but about 90% of those are caused by my stupid decisions to "cast another light, he will only counter you again for the 5th time in a row and kill you" :D

Egotistic_Ez
05-30-2017, 12:43 PM
5. I thought I'd like dominion and 4v4 but I don't - concept of 3v1 at some point is terrible. The game is apparently designed in a way where 3 equally skilled players are in 100% probability able to kill 1 just as skilled player.

How it worked back before they nerfed revenge sounds like what you want. One player could easily take 3 or 4 if they had even a rough grasp of the game mechanics and some good gear. It was complete ****.

Why should three people lose to one guy of equal skill? It makes zero sense.

Agree with virtually everything else though.

Anarnam
05-30-2017, 01:54 PM
How it worked back before they nerfed revenge sounds like what you want. One player could easily take 3 or 4 if they had even a rough grasp of the game mechanics and some good gear. It was complete ****.

I don't want 1 person dominating 3 other players, all of the same skill. As you've mentioned it is absolutely riddiculous. I saw some old and outdated videos where peacekeeper on revenge could spam zone attack an destroy entire enemy team alone. That is 100% unhealthy mechanic.

The current system makes sense - 1 person has no chance against 3 other players who have 100% hp - that's how it's supposed to be and that's exactly why I don't like it. It's not a matter of system being imperfect for me but simply due to the fact that this does not interest me at all.
What I would accept though is a 4v4 fight where everybody starts in the same place - that would always result in equal chances from the beginning.

Not sure I explained it right this time :)

Dhaleks
05-30-2017, 02:16 PM

I would argue that, even with the revenge nerf, it was possible (and fun) to hold of 2+ players alone. Until the shinobi and the centurion were added, that is...

Infidel.Castro
05-30-2017, 02:28 PM
8 days played and things are getting worse and worse.

Are you sure it isn't down to the Stellla? :P