PDA

View Full Version : Single-Player vs. Coop

Mav99ex
05-29-2017, 08:08 AM
Since it was announced the whole game can be played in coop, I was wondering what that means for single-player?

I hope there will be real single-player in this game, without a tack on AI-buddy to replace the missing second player!?

I also hope there will still be OFFLINE single-player. Like others, I really don't care for "games as a service" or "live services" or whatever you might call mostly useless online-features usually used to force unnecessary always-on upon customers. The term "useless online features" of course includes in-game shops. ;)

As long as online-features are fully optional that's fine. But forced always-on for single-player is a deal breaker for me. Despite loving the Far Cry series, I wouldn't buy a game like that. *

And while we're at it, if you plan any "companion" mobile app, please make that also completely optional, without ties to anything in the real game.
Even the most logical and natural second screen app, the pip-boy app for F4, was mostly a gimmick rather than a useful enhancement.
Besides, some people still prefer to use their phones just for communication, not for playing games.

(* And before someone clever points out that most people are online all the time anyway, let me remind you, that being online is something completely different from (being forced to) keeping a steady connection to an external server on the internet. The later involves many potential and annoying problems that are simply unnecessary for single-player.)

HorTyS
05-29-2017, 08:15 AM
So far as I know you can absolutely play the game start to finish solo and the coop partner does not become an AI tag-a-long character. I believe the coop structure will be similar to it's implementation in FC4, except that now the main storyline can also be played cooperatively, but if you choose not to play with a friend, it's just you...

Mav99ex
05-29-2017, 08:18 AM
I hope you're right... Maybe E3 will give more answers.

terry427
05-29-2017, 09:59 AM
all the others have had offline single player mode so can't see why this one wouldn't?
It's the only way I play, so if it's not there, neither am I...

Mav99ex
05-29-2017, 10:28 AM
In a recent investor update Ubisoft announced to present all future releases, including Assassin's Creed and presumably Far Cry, as "Live Services". The idea behind this is to maintain customer interest in the games over longer periods. The ultimate goal is, of course, to increase revenue from the games.

Ubisoft was the first to try forced always-on even for single-player. So, with this new announcement in mind, I fear they might try again...

HorTyS
05-29-2017, 02:31 PM
I think when they say they want "games as a service" it's really more about just supporting the games beyond release with things like DLC, not necessarily to require an always on connection.

Fallen-Champ
05-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Found this doing a google search so you should b fine playing the game on your own.
It was confirmed during the big Far Cry 5 reveal that the game world will be available to explore solo or entirely in two-player co-op.

Polygon has now confirmed that the co-op play in Far Cry 5 will only be available online, meaning that there will no local adventures for those with two controllers.

More details have also been confirmed concerning the exclusive content coming to the PS4 version of the game.

PS4 owners will get at release a free Far Cry 5 skin pack with their purchase of the game, which has been confirmed as available on Xbox One and PC too.

However, Uplay Units will be needed to purchase the content on anything other than PS4

strigoi1958
05-29-2017, 05:48 PM
My router is on 24 hours a day so if I'm connected to a service while i play a game it is no problem to me. I do not subscribe to perceived hysteria. I only buy what I want... Games could come with adverts but would never make me purchase anything so I see no reason for fear of online. You make no valid argument for your dislike of online connection. If the future of gaming takes this direction then you will have to face the choice to either accept it or leave gaming altogether.

When I play Gta V online in a solo session I am permanently online but I'm not playing multiplayer I'm just accessing the extra parts of the game that cannot be played without being online. Not a big deal.

Gaming has always imposed new requirements whether it has been hardware or software or connectivity requirements. They have changed as time has gone on and will continue to do so... and nothing anyone does will change that regardless of our fears phobias and dislikes.

Mav99ex
05-30-2017, 02:57 AM
My router is on 24 hours a day so if I'm connected to a service while i play a game it is no problem to me. [...]
You make no valid argument for your dislike of online connection.
As written before, there's a BIG difference between being online all the time and being forced to maintain a permanent, stable connection to an external server.

There are several annoying problems with unstable or slow connections like problems to connect, lag or suddenly being dropped from the game because of that.
If the servers are down, you can't play. If your internet connection is down or unstable, you can't play. If there are problems on the route between you and the server, like a DDOS attack by some stupid kids, you can't play. If, for whatever reason, they shut down the servers indefinitely, you can never play again... not even single-player...

Since developers have become too lazy to support LAN gaming as well, you have to live with these problems for multi-player. For single-player however this is completely unnecessary!

And despite some ridiculous claims by some publishers, forced always-on has no advantage for the customers whatsoever. Only the publishers benefit from that concept, so why accept it?
Even if some online features for single-player would unexpectedly turn out to be interesting, they could still be used with an OPTIONAL online connection by those who want them.

If the future of gaming takes this direction then you will have to face the choice to either accept it or leave gaming altogether.

Sine I have little to no interest in multi-player, I'd rather find myself a new hobby than putting up with all the problems of unnecessary, forced online-gaming...

Fallen-Champ
07-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Ubisoft expounded on Far Cry 5’s drop-in drop-out co-op (https://gamerant.com/far-cry-5-new-features/) today, noting that it won’t be as functional as some players may have been expecting. Specifically, Far Cry 5 will allow a secondary player to join another person’s game, but the secondary player will receive no mission progress as a result. In order to progress, the player will have to return to their own game and either play solo or host a friend themselves.
Co-op in Far Cry 5 was revealed alongside the game’s official announcement, confirming that two players could play together through the entirety of the game’s campaign. Cooperative play would be based entirely online, with no local options available.

This mirrors the same functionality as Far Cry 4, which also offered 2-player co-op in the game’s campaign. Far Cry 3 offered up to 4-player online co-op, but only for specific non-campaign content. Far Cry Primal, however, offered no co-op (https://gamerant.com/far-cry-primal-co-op/) whatsoever.

So in the grand scheme of things, Far Cry 5 could have done a lot worse with regards to cooperative multiplayer options. It also could be doing a whole lot better, offering both 4-player co-op and/or local co-op on top of its current system.

Not allowing progress to be shared between players is a frustrating omission, though understandable given the franchise hasn’t included it yet.

Info Found HERE (https://gamerant.com/far-cry-5-co-op-drop-in/)

HorTyS
07-05-2017, 02:51 AM
Fine by me, I end up playing the FC game's campaign multiple times anyway. Hopefully I can find a coop partner on xbone who shares a stealth oriented playstyle by then..

HorTyS
07-07-2017, 02:53 AM
The coop in FC3 was bad, it was based on the MP engine so it controlled a bit more wonky and in general was very bland and basic. FC4 coop was great, but in general I'd say trying coop with random people is not typically going to go well. Coop is really something to do specifically with friends. Having re-bought FC4 on xbone and only having one friend on it that also played I found that our play-styles didn't exactly gel as well as my friend who I had played with on ps4. So it is definitely more fun when you play coop with someone who plays in a way that compliments your own play style...

HorTyS
07-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Yes I know it can be more fun playing in coop but I don't play the campaign for fun, its escapism for me to be immersed in another world.

I only play videogames for fun. You can be immersed & still be having fun, they're not mutually exclusive sensations. I would say the more immersed I am typically correlates directly with the amount of fun I am having.. Regardless, no one is going to force you to play coop so it's a non-issue....

MikeJDRW
07-26-2017, 12:26 AM
Since it was announced the whole game can be played in coop, I was wondering what that means for single-player?

I hope there will be real single-player in this game, without a tack on AI-buddy to replace the missing second player!?

I also hope there will still be OFFLINE single-player. Like others, I really don't care for "games as a service" or "live services" or whatever you might call mostly useless online-features usually used to force unnecessary always-on upon customers. The term "useless online features" of course includes in-game shops. ;)

As long as online-features are fully optional that's fine. But forced always-on for single-player is a deal breaker for me. Despite loving the Far Cry series, I wouldn't buy a game like that. *

And while we're at it, if you plan any "companion" mobile app, please make that also completely optional, without ties to anything in the real game.
Even the most logical and natural second screen app, the pip-boy app for F4, was mostly a gimmick rather than a useful enhancement.
Besides, some people still prefer to use their phones just for communication, not for playing games.

(* And before someone clever points out that most people are online all the time anyway, let me remind you, that being online is something completely different from (being forced to) keeping a steady connection to an external server on the internet. The later involves many potential and annoying problems that are simply unnecessary for single-player.)

As for me, I refer FPS, I don't do coop or multiplayer, so if this game - FC5 is either of those with not FPS, then I guess I'm out in the wind, also a deal breaker for me.

HorTyS
07-27-2017, 05:43 AM
As for me, I refer FPS, I don't do coop or multiplayer, so if this game - FC5 is either of those with not FPS, then I guess I'm out in the wind, also a deal breaker for me.

FC4 gave you the option to play without requiring an "always-on" connection, so it stands to reason FC5 will as well.

scrapser
07-27-2017, 05:51 AM
To borrow a line from the movie, "Johnny Dangerously"....

I tried online play once........Once!