PDA

View Full Version : How to make kensei viable

Chucky_Jones
05-28-2017, 07:21 AM
Before someone says get gud(I know someone will still say it), I am a rep 13 kensei so I know kenseis flaws and strengths. Kensei is already strong vs assassins cause of his range and sweeping attacks that are hard to dodge. He also have a fast guard change and a 40 damage light parry punish. His big issue comes when he is against a turtle who only spams safe ub openers. He has no way to break a turtle and swift strike is near useless. I think that chip damage will help him a lot but until then I think he needs the raider dodge gb for punishing unblockables and avoiding the vortex. It has worked well for raider so there is no reason it wouldn't help kensei vs ub spamming turtles. The cherry on top would be for swift strike to become safe on block but honestly I never use it and would be sattisfied with the dodge gb.

XxHunterHxX
05-28-2017, 08:09 AM
So you ir telling me a caracter that you play all the time is not good vs all caracters in the game and ubisoft should make the caracter you play all the time the best caracter in the game coz you want to right ? Kensei is fine as it is he is good vs assasins bad vs heavy thats how it should be if you want that then i can say the same thing about PK i want my PK the way it used to be i want bleeding to stack again and give her more then 2 viable moves ! do you even think before posting this **** ? ubisoft listens to people like you and breaks the game more making the game that was intended to be played in a way be a spamm fest full of noobs ! i think they should go back to the way it was in the beta ! That is when the game was the best and ghet some dam servers !

That_guy44
05-28-2017, 11:23 AM
You say the weirdest things my guy. Kensei is far from ok. He's whole right now. His side dash attacks are the easiest to punish in the entire game.

kweassa1917
05-28-2017, 12:46 PM
So you ir telling me a caracter that you play all the time is not good vs all caracters in the game and ubisoft should make the caracter you play all the time the best caracter in the game coz you want to right ? Kensei is fine as it is he is good vs assasins bad vs heavy thats how it should be if you want that then i can say the same thing about PK i want my PK the way it used to be i want bleeding to stack again and give her more then 2 viable moves ! do you even think before posting this **** ? ubisoft listens to people like you and breaks the game more making the game that was intended to be played in a way be a spamm fest full of noobs ! i think they should go back to the way it was in the beta ! That is when the game was the best and ghet some dam servers !

PK's fine, thx. If you're seriously whining about the PK in the game, you need to go back and relearn the class from scratch, no matter what the rep level you are at... or in this case that'd actually be an embarrassment, since if you DO have a high PK rep level it only goes so far as to attest you've wasted your time without learning or practicing anything.

The PK's certainly come down from the top of the floor after continued balancing, and usually considered maybe a notch below the undisputed "War Bros." :rolleyes:, but that balance logic applies at the utmost, tourney levels. At us everyday gamer's playing level, complaining about your PK is like complaining your penthouse suite has wrong wall coloring in front of people who are into their second mortgage.

Are you at that level to be complaining that PK's not viable? Who are you supposed to be again?

Enjolras_ABC
05-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Kensei needs some stamina reduction on his attacks because he is all about the feints.

Blasto95
05-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Kensei needs some stamina reduction on his attacks because he is all about the feints.

That won't help to much. You can side dash light into UB heavy feint at least 5 times before running out of stamina. Not many other heroes can Light -> Heavy feint 5 or more times.

Problem with Kensei, he is 100% viable against 90% of players. Once things start getting really competitive, he falls short. He needs some mechanic to help more experienced players, but they have to be careful not to buff him to much for the majority

MTSHxPreacher59
05-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Before someone says get gud(I know someone will still say it), I am a rep 13 kensei so I know kenseis flaws and strengths. Kensei is already strong vs assassins cause of his range and sweeping attacks that are hard to dodge. He also have a fast guard change and a 40 damage light parry punish. His big issue comes when he is against a turtle who only spams safe ub openers. He has no way to break a turtle and swift strike is near useless. I think that chip damage will help him a lot but until then I think he needs the raider dodge gb for punishing unblockables and avoiding the vortex. It has worked well for raider so there is no reason it wouldn't help kensei vs ub spamming turtles. The cherry on top would be for swift strike to become safe on block but honestly I never use it and would be sattisfied with the dodge gb.

Hey man as a warlord main i feel your pain. I beat on kensei way to much. Most of the time i find he has to depend on faints to at least get a hit on me but after a couple feints he is out of stamina. And since i dont suck at counter guard break i rarely lose to a kensei. He is under powered and i agree he needs some tweaking.

MTSHxPreacher59
05-28-2017, 06:48 PM

Are you having a bad morning? you seem to be complaining and being rude on tons of posts. I am here if you need to talk <3

BeefMan_
05-28-2017, 08:18 PM

Kensei is literally the worst character in the game right now

Blasto95
05-28-2017, 08:24 PM
Kensei is literally the worst character in the game right now

Like I said, kensei may be the worst character in the game but he is perfectly viable for a vast majority of the player base. I think he needs some buffs, as a good amount of other heroes do, to be truly competitive with experienced players. But some changes could quickly turn him from the worst to at least near the best.

I think people over exaggerate with the balance of heroes (save for a select few). People spend to much time watching dull 1v1 and even 2v2 fights with the same matchups. Where as in reality, a large majority of the player base is experiencing very different matchups and tactics.

BeefMan_
05-28-2017, 08:50 PM
Like I said, kensei may be the worst character in the game but he is perfectly viable for a vast majority of the player base. I think he needs some buffs, as a good amount of other heroes do, to be truly competitive with experienced players. But some changes could quickly turn him from the worst to at least near the best.

I think people over exaggerate with the balance of heroes (save for a select few). People spend to much time watching dull 1v1 and even 2v2 fights with the same matchups. Where as in reality, a large majority of the player base is experiencing very different matchups and tactics.

Every character is perfectly viable against the vast majority of players, because the vast majority of players aren't good. This is especially true in Dominion, where you can get away with playing like a complete moron and still wipe the floor with nearly everybody.
He needs more mixups and options in his kit.
I suggest some of the following

- Change his dodge attacks to heavies and allow Ken to feint them
- Increase the speed of his side lights
- Allow him to soft feint heavies into top lights (This might be too much)
- Make the first hit of his zone attack arc forward instead of to the left side
- Allow him to dodge forward into a top unblockable

Blasto95
05-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Every character is perfectly viable against the vast majority of players, because the vast majority of players aren't good. This is especially true in Dominion, where you can get away with playing like a complete moron and still wipe the floor with nearly everybody.
He needs more mixups and options in his kit.
I suggest some of the following

- Increase the speed of his side lights
- Allow him to soft feint heavies into top lights (This might be too much)
- Make the first hit of his zone attack arc forward instead of to the left side
- Allow him to dodge forward into a top unblockable

I THINK I like the idea of adding a side dodge Heavy attack to the extent of giving him a side dodge Heavy AND light attack. However Ubisoft has said, they don't want to add more moves to current heroes. They want to tune the moves they currently have to be more viable. I think having a hero with Side light and Heavy dodge attacks would be pretty interesting though. Would leave room for a lot of mixups, feints and what not.

Pestilence1X
05-28-2017, 09:45 PM

Don't ****ing talk when you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Anyone who thinks Kensei is fine are either people who get schooled by good Kensei players, or just disagrees because they want their own mains to be buffed. Kensei is not fine. Yeah, he can be pretty damn good in the hands of good players, but then again, ANY hero can be good in the hands of good players. That does not mean that the hero is fine however.

You didn't even explain how Kensei is fine, but just insulted the OP because you disagree, for whatever reason. PK is much more viable than Kensei because of her light spams and lightning fast zone. Kensei has no such lights. Everything he throws out can be easily reacted to and he has only 1 viable direction to attack from. PK has 3. She might only have 2 moves, but they are much faster than Kensei's, while being able to be used in every direction. Kensei doesn't even have 2 moves, but 1. It's also ironic how you claim the game is a spamfest full of noobs, when you apparently main PK LOL!

Also, how exactly is Kensei good against assassins? Because he has range? Seriously? If that's the case, if anything, Nobushi is good against assassins. Not Kensei.

You should explain your reasonings for disagreeing with someone before immediately insulting them.

KnifeInUrNeck
05-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Kensei can indeed be good against assassins simply because of range and how his combos close distance faster than dodge recovery but that doesn't really mean he's in a good spot. The side dodge attack is worthless and as everyone knows, no openers. It seems very close to where he should be but he's just missing something.

MasterChiefPON
05-28-2017, 09:55 PM

Lol, I can imagine what I could do with that one. That would make the dodge attack pretty much safe if you got baited.

BeefMan_
05-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Lol, I can imagine what I could do with that one. That would make the dodge attack pretty much safe if you got baited.

What? You know it's a free gb if you block it, right? You literally do not have to parry it

MasterChiefPON
05-28-2017, 10:05 PM
What? You know it's a free gb if you block it, right? You literally do not have to parry it

I know that, but I don't understand what you're trying to tell me. Maybe you didn't understand what I wanted to say. I play Kensei and I what I tried to say is that it would be pretty cool to be able to feint our side dodge and if someone tried to do an unblockable to makes us do the dodge attack then you would be able to feint it and make the attack safer. Unless they gb when you tried to initiate it.

MasterChiefPON
05-28-2017, 10:20 PM
**it would be pretty cool to be able to feint our side dodge attack**
Sorry, I don't know why I can't edit.

Chucky_Jones
05-28-2017, 10:29 PM
I really like the idea of being able to feint the dash attack(swift strike), but that might be kinda op. It would punsih any ub spam but if you got baited there would be no risk. It might work for the dash attack to be soft feintable into other attacks that werent feitnable so if you get baited you will have to commit to some attack. I still feel like the raider dodge gb is the way to go because it would make it unsafe to just depend on ub spam and turtleling to beat a kensei. I personally like using kensei when people are willing to actually fight and take risks, and that would be the only option if he could punish ub spam. I also think the dodge gb is a good option because is wouldnt make him signifantly more powerfull like the swift strike feint would, it would just force people to fight him in a way that gives him a chance.

MasterChiefPON
05-28-2017, 10:33 PM
I really like the idea of being able to feint the dash gb but that might be kinda op. It would punsih any ub spam but if you got baited there would be no risk. It might work for the dash attack to be soft feintable into other attacks that werent feitnable so if you get baited you will have to commit to some attack. I still feel like the raider dodge gb is the way to go because it would make it unsafe to just depend on ub spam and turtleling to beat a kensei. I personally like using kensei when people are willing to actually fight and take risks, and that would be the only option if he could punish ub spam. I also think the dodge gb is a good option because is wouldnt make him signifantly more powerfull like the swift strike feint would, it would just force people to fight him in a way that gives him a chance.

I don't know if you really wanted to write faint the dash gb but that would be too much. Imagine Kensei only doing faint gb and gb all fight, it would be a 50/50.

BeefMan_
05-28-2017, 10:49 PM
I don't know if you really wanted to write faint the dash gb but that would be too much. Imagine Kensei only doing faint gb and gb all fight, it would be a 50/50.

Huh
It would be conterable by turtling, just like the rest of Kensei's kit

UbiJurassic
05-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Great discussion topic, Chucky_Jones. We know that some of the samurai classes are under-performing in some areas, so getting feedback like this is very helpful as we look to adjust them in the near future.

MasterChiefPON
05-28-2017, 11:14 PM
Huh
It would be conterable by turtling, just like the rest of Kensei's kit

I don't know if we are thinking about the same thing, I was thinking about the old gb feint, you can't counter that turtling because if it is a real gb and you didn't cgb you are grabbed and if you try to cgb and is like the old gb feint you get an attack to the face. And if you can do the old gb feint reliable it would be a nightmare.

Chucky_Jones
05-29-2017, 12:19 AM

Sorry i meant to write dash attack or swift strike. I like that kensei is a cheeseless class so I would hate for him to be able to spam gb feint cheese. I'll edit my post right away

BeefMan_
05-29-2017, 12:24 AM
I don't know if we are thinking about the same thing, I was thinking about the old gb feint, you can't counter that turtling because if it is a real gb and you didn't cgb you are grabbed and if you try to cgb and is like the old gb feint you get an attack to the face. And if you can do the old gb feint reliable it would be a nightmare.
I wasn't aware you could feint GBs with Kensei

Chucky_Jones
05-29-2017, 12:27 AM
you could perform the gb feint bug on any class but it was the hardest with assassins

MasterChiefPON
05-29-2017, 01:20 AM

It was an exploit in which you could make your opponent see the gb indicator to make him try to cgb and then attack and he couldn't block it because he tried to cgb. You could do it with every character and I wasn't easy to do and the devs fixed it. I thought Chucky Jones wanted to give it to Kensei lol.

Chucky_Jones
05-29-2017, 01:33 AM
It was an exploit in which you could make your opponent see the gb indicator to make him try to cgb and then attack and he couldn't block it because he tried to cgb. You could do it with every character and I wasn't easy to do and the devs fixed it. I thought Chucky Jones wanted to give it to Kensei lol.

I want kensei to be good, but not quite that good!