PDA

View Full Version : Outposts and Radio Towers

Canadian Beer42
05-27-2017, 06:47 PM
I've noticed since Far Cry 3 there's been a sudden decrease in outposts and radio towers.

In Far Cry 3 there was 34 outposts and 18 radio towers.
In Far Cry 4 there was 24 outposts and 17 bell towers.
In Far Cry Primal there was 16 outposts and 10 bonfires.

Now I don't know what happened but that is a significant decrease in outposts and radio towers. There better be at least the same amount of Far Cry 3 outposts and radio towers in Far Cry 5 or more.

BonafideBacon
05-27-2017, 06:55 PM
Nope. Im good. Phuck repetitive gameplay.

usmovers_02
05-27-2017, 08:25 PM
To me outposts are great fun but towers are boring.

scrapser
05-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Game publishers, like movie studios have fallen into the "branding" formula where we have endless sequels instead of new and creative story and game structures. I for one hope it stops. It's really getting old. The argument against this is that movies and games cost so much to create. Really? How did we manage to get where we are today? People took risks. They spent money. They had a pair.

HorTyS
05-27-2017, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't call outposts repetitive unless the player decides to clear them using the same tactic every time. Towers I could do without. I think there are at least some alterations they could make to it that would make it feel less like it has for the last 3 games. I think in general what needs to happen is they need to just add depth & options to the outposts to keep them from becoming stale, and find an all new method and something with a bit more meaningful gameplay as a means to reveal the map to the player...

Skrap98
05-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Outposts are not repetitive gameplay fffs. There are dozens of ways to liberate them. If you play with the same style then the whole game is repetitive gameplay. Different gameplay styles is the main point of Fc3/4/Primal. Far cry 2 actually had more than 50 outposts. I hope fc5 will have much more . Because the map will be huge. They should add more than just radio towers, radio tower where fun until you libarated 3-6 of them , after that they became boring af. I libareted almost the whole half of bell towers with the buzzard in fc4 cuz i was bored. They should think more ways for us to liberate the map. The crafting system needs an overhaul too, i dont want to see the same crafting system/menu/assets like fc3/4/primal had.

eccool24
05-28-2017, 01:55 AM
While I enjoy clearing outposts and climbing towers I don't care how many there are. I try stealth if I can, but I don't mind going in guns blazing, so I don't find it repetitive.

HorTyS
05-28-2017, 06:18 AM
I would say the only commonly re-used feature that I think they should really consider doing a big overhaul on is the towers/ map clearing mechanic. For one, I don't think it should just give you access to a free weapon, I think it should give you access to a side mission that gives you a free weapon. So, just for a hypothetical here, lets say there are towers again (even though they've not been confirmed, people are just assuming and i've actually heard they may not be there but) and so we go up, deactivate the jammer and suddenly our radio is picking up enemy transmissions that are saying they've a new weapons shipment just come in to "further the cause!" and they say come to these coordinates or whatever, now we can go and clear out a group of guards at a weapons cache and get a shiny new MP5 or SPAZ or whatever weapon that one unlocks... I think that'd be a better way of doing the free weapon bit anyway... little bit more work to earn it....

Helforsite
05-28-2017, 11:36 AM
I would say the only commonly re-used feature that I think they should really consider doing a big overhaul on is the towers/ map clearing mechanic. For one, I don't think it should just give you access to a free weapon, I think it should give you access to a side mission that gives you a free weapon. So, just for a hypothetical here, lets say there are towers again (even though they've not been confirmed, people are just assuming and i've actually heard they may not be there but) and so we go up, deactivate the jammer and suddenly our radio is picking up enemy transmissions that are saying they've a new weapons shipment just come in to "further the cause!" and they say come to these coordinates or whatever, now we can go and clear out a group of guards at a weapons cache and get a shiny new MP5 or SPAZ or whatever weapon that one unlocks... I think that'd be a better way of doing the free weapon bit anyway... little bit more work to earn it....

Playing on PC, I just used mods to disable the free weapons and that really made me appreciate them more.

scrapser
05-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Checkpoints would make for a lot more depth if they were something you not only fought to clear but then had to defend (initially with AI). It would be easy to have cleared checkpoints come under attack at random and while working on a mission you received a call that the checkpoint was under attack and to come help. You would then need to integrate defending the checkpoint into you current priorities and make a judgment call. The longer you put it off the harder defending it would become and if you waited too long then it would be lost. The length of time before loosing it could be randomly generated as well so the dynamic doesn't become stale.

But this of course would add development costs. That is probably why we don't see such things.

Steve64b
05-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Interesting, I thought this mechanism was already available in FC4. Turns out, the enemy only attacks your friendly outposts, but does never reclaim them.Would be a nice feature, though some more casual/beginner players may have to be 'spared' from this...

HorTyS
05-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Interesting, I thought this mechanism was already available in FC4. Turns out, the enemy only attacks your friendly outposts, but does never reclaim them.Would be a nice feature, though some more casual/beginner players may have to be 'spared' from this...

Nah man, sink or swim, win or lose. The games hold our hands a bit to much as it is, especially early on. Man, speaking of, I really hope there are no tutorial screens that stop the game and make us press "A" to continue, I always hate game-interrupting tutorial prompts.... Just tell us our journal is updated with new info and if we need to figure out how something works or how to do something, we can look it up, and have a loading screen tip that explains that or something, but don't have us approach our first outpost in the early parts of the game and then pause the game & bring up a big screen that says crap like "Outposts can be approached in many different ways... blah blah blah, press A to continue"