PDA

View Full Version : [Character Discussion] Bishop

LeoKRogue
05-27-2017, 05:33 AM
Copied from the same post I made on the AC Subreddit.

Bishop is a codename, like Deacon was for Shaun. It is most definitely not her real name. Both a Bishop and a Deacon are members of the church or clergy, or at the very least fairly high-ranking religious figures. They're figures that tend to lead people in a belief, or give them information. We know quite a bit about Shaun Hastings. We know next to nothing about Bishop.

She is our "handler" for both Assassin's Creed Unity, and Assassin's Creed Syndicate. As far as I'm aware, she is not shown or mentioned in the comics or other media. This makes Bishop a pretty enigmatic character, and even her Database entry says things like Shaun not knowing anything about her which makes him quite irritated, that she was in Robert Fraser's apartment at some point judging by fingerprints, and that various high-ranking Assassins speculate on her origins and background, while the only one that knows the truth is Rebecca; and she has sworn secrecy to Bishop not to reveal her identity.

(Robert Fraser was an Abstergo employee tasked with reliving Arno Dorian's genetic memories via a genuine Animus. The Bleeding Effect manifested in him so intensely he broke up with his girlfriend in pursuit of Elise de la Serre, and he was convinced to perform Assassin-benefiting actions before his eventual demise.)

I want to know more about Bishop. She is a character that seemingly does not exist outside of the Lore introduced by Unity and Syndicate, while other characters move fairly freely in and out of the various forms of media. At the very least, there are references to them, and Bishop doesn't even get that much. Ubisoft are clearly deliberately keeping Bishop, her identity, and most any other information about her imaginable, a secret.

One of the things I'm hoping for most, is that in Assassin's Creed Origins / Empire / Zero / whatever they call it, Bishop is known a little bit more. There's a lot possible with her. She made up almost the entirety of Present Day in Unity and Syndicate, and many of us were so disappointed with how little of it there was in these two games, that we probably forgot Bishop was present for all of it. She's a mystery. And one that I'd say Ubi has a pretty big responsibility to write about in the next game.

Do you want to find out more about Bishop?

Do you have any theories on her?

Her main role was to assist, network with, and contact Initiates for the rapid acquisition and decoding of Genetic Memory Data from Abstergo's servers. After use of Initiates was shut down following Syndicate, due to William Miles' reasoning that they are civilians and therefore Innocents whom the Assassins shouldn't endanger in compliance with The First Tenet ("Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent."), Bishop is now doing something else. Are you curious as to what her new role and function will be?

~ Leo K.

Elder-Kalakta
05-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Yes, I would love to learn more about Bishop. She is such an intriguing character with many secrets waiting to be shared.

I hope Ubisoft will unburden her of some of her secrets for us soon.

Sorrosyss
05-27-2017, 08:58 PM
She's Eve.

....what? :p

More seriously, she is a mystery to be sure. Her real name is obviously of significance given that Darby kind of hinted it was a familar one. Is she an Auditore? Desmond's sister? There has been numerous theories but we really have very little to go on other than William Miles trusts her implicitly - which is highly unusual for a character who has been notably very guarded around others. That kind of lends itself to the family member argument, but I still find it fascinating that she is evidently calling alot of the shots within the Brotherhood of late. If she is a complete newcomer, I'd really love to know what she did to get trusted and so high in the order so fast. And if Shaun can find nothing on her at all, one has to ask what exactly has been hidden about her and why.

We know from the Initiates site that the Assassins obtained a Blood vial. So they cloned Eve from that. *nod* :p

LoyalACFan
05-27-2017, 09:54 PM
I have to admit, twice bitten by The Lost Archive and AC3, I'm reluctant to buy back into the MD conspiracy mongering, but... I think she's a Templar double agent. Abstergo already had an employee sifting through Arno's memories, and while he did eventually betray them, they still had his genetic material, which should have been enough to access Arno's memories of Germain and determine that it was a dead end in their search for a Sage. Bishop could have been sent by Abstergo to "defect" to the Assassins, promising juicy information about Abstergo being hot on the trail of a Sage's body, which the Assassins couldn't afford to refuse. All the while, Bishop and the Templars knew that looking for Germain was a waste of time, lost in the catacombs of Paris, but by the time the Assassins found out, Bishop was deep undercover, having earned the Assassins' trust.

Flash forward one year, and she's helping the Assassins look for the Shroud. When they finally locate it at Buckingham Palace, Bishop wants to send in Rebecca and Shaun immediately, but they decline, wanting visual confirmation from the Frye memories first. When they do arrive, Sigma Team have beaten them there. Doesn't take much of a stretch to think Bishop tipped them off, and her original plan was to send in Shaun and Rebecca first so that Berg and Da Costa could intercept them, capturing the Shroud and eliminating two of the Assassins' best intel operatives in the process.

Or maybe I just want a lore-based justification for why Unity's modern day was a waste of time for both the player and the characters.

Her real name is obviously of significance given that Darby kind of hinted it was a familar one. Is she an Auditore? Desmond's sister? There has been numerous theories but we really have very little to go on other than William Miles trusts her implicitly

...wut? When was this, lol? Kinda f**ks with my theory a little bit :p

Sorrosyss
05-28-2017, 12:43 AM
Yeah there was a discussion on Twitter awhile back about it. I took a pic of some of it...

http://i.imgur.com/vOS4Wn1.png

SixKeys
05-28-2017, 02:43 AM
She doesn't have enough of a personality yet for me to get attached to her. The reason Shaun and Rebecca have survived this far into the modern day lore is because people got to like them from their interactions with Desmond. So far Bishop has been nothing but a talking head.

ze_topazio
05-28-2017, 03:07 AM
Both a Bishop and a Deacon are members of the church or clergy, or at the very least fairly high-ranking religious figures.

Bishops are the second most important people in the Catholic church after the Pope, the Pope itself is a special Bishop.

LoyalACFan
05-28-2017, 04:18 AM
She doesn't have enough of a personality yet for me to get attached to her. The reason Shaun and Rebecca have survived this far into the modern day lore is because people got to like them from their interactions with Desmond. So far Bishop has been nothing but a talking head.

I think that's why people want to know more about her tbh. Shaun and Rebecca are the only readily identifiable MD characters for most fans, and they're the closest thing we have to "original" characters at this point (there was a thread a while back that correctly pointed out that as of 2016, every single character from AC1 is dead) and now all of a sudden some rando pops up alongside them as an equal and we know next to nothing about her. So I don't think people are "attached" to her, per se, but she has piqued their interest.

joshoolhorst
05-28-2017, 09:11 AM
I think that's why people want to know more about her tbh. Shaun and Rebecca are the only readily identifiable MD characters for most fans, and they're the closest thing we have to "original" characters at this point (there was a thread a while back that correctly pointed out that as of 2016, every single character from AC1 is dead) and now all of a sudden some rando pops up alongside them as an equal and we know next to nothing about her. So I don't think people are "attached" to her, per se, but she has piqued their interest.

That was me. Every single Modern Day character that appeared in AC1 is dead even the historical characters beside Connor and Juno in the Desmond Saga, all the story's are closed beside Juno and Connor.

I think I make a thread about this soon or later

UnknownGamer1994
05-28-2017, 10:06 AM
I hope Ubisoft will kill Bishop in the next game, she needs to be assassinated!

SixKeys
05-29-2017, 03:43 AM

Well, for me personally the reason she hasn't piqued my interest is because she has no defining personality traits. Shaun and Rebecca had personality from the first moment they were introduced in AC2. Shaun was a sarcastic jerk. Rebecca was an enthusiastic hacker girl. Lucy was "the sweet girl next door", until her shocking betrayal. William Miles was a strict dad who struggled to connect with his son. How does one describe Bishop? Err......

She's about as interesting as the Animus voiceover lady.

pirate1802
05-29-2017, 05:49 AM
She's about as interesting as the Animus voiceover lady.

Lol true. Well to be fair she's slightly more interesting because she is easy on the eyes *wink wink*, but other than that...

cawatrooper9
05-30-2017, 03:17 PM
You know, since Unity I really haven't thought much about Biship, but these are some interesting theories. Particularly the fact that Darby seems to think that her name holds some significance.