PDA

View Full Version : Mark my words...I am calling it first!

akilyoung
05-25-2017, 05:04 PM
I just realized....FC5 is going to be MASSIVE and EXPANSIVE. The reason for the wheat fields is an area for the planes to land!

Other wise the open fields would be big open areas with no cover, and a waste of space. They are basically the games runways! Which means there will be a lot of them, in key areas, for the planes. To incorporate these, the map has to be HUGE, much larger than past FC maps, otherwise, the map would be a bunch of emptiness. Probably the only thing in the fields will be a lone NPC farmer driving a combine or tractor kicking up dust.

There will probably be barns with crop dusters at every field area, and you can spray enemies with the chemicals...mark my words I am calling it first!

Lillestoel
05-25-2017, 05:24 PM
I hadn't thought of that, but I'd love this! :) A game with vehicles should be rather large, and with FC2 which only had cars and boats, it still felt kinda crammed together in a small area. All you could really do was follow the roads. It wasn't like you could climb any mountains or walk across the map in a straight line by foot. FC3 did a much better job with this, and obviously with FC4 they had their first actual aircraft, so now I'm hoping for an even better and wider world :)

Ghost Recon Wildlands had some huge salt flats I saw in the trailers. I hope this is the type of level design we will get too! :)

legacyzero
05-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Does that mean we can triple the size of the maps in the Editor? :P

Zebra_111
05-25-2017, 06:01 PM
I guess we won't get into a P51, but in these water-planes.
So we should be able to land on lakes.
A P51 is not able to land on a field, as shown in one of the teaser-videos where the guy gets shot. Maybe in winter when there is no wheat and the ground is frozen.

Edit: But for sure the maps will be increased and should be double if not tripple the size of FC3/4, as the engine has not to support old
generation of consoles (PS3, XBOX360) anymore.

mistados
05-25-2017, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't bet on the map being much bigger than FC4.

Much more likely they will use that map as a base starting point, like they did with primal, and perhaps expand on and remove areas as required.

The FC4 map was pretty damn big let's be honest.

Zebra_111
05-25-2017, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't bet on the map being much bigger than FC4.

Much more likely they will use that map as a base starting point, like they did with primal, and perhaps expand on and remove areas as required.

The FC4 map was pretty damn big let's be honest.

For sure they will not do the same re-use a 2nd time.
As the engine can drop support for old console generation, the map should get bigger, or much more dense, including more possibilities to interact with.

mistados
05-25-2017, 06:25 PM
For sure they will not do the same re-use a 2nd time.
As the engine can drop support for old console generation, the map should get bigger, or much more dense, including more possibilities to interact with.

Sure, the world can be be more fleshed out. But it will still likely be based on their existing map.

Zebra_111
05-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Sure, the world can be be more fleshed out. But it will still likely be based on their existing map.

What exactly do you mean with "THEIR existing map"?
Ubisofts' map ?
I see no reason at all.
Do you know that they have engine-tools today, where you can create such maps in a couple of days (fine-tuning and texturing takes additional much more time).
Wildlands has a different map? Divison also ?

akilyoung
05-25-2017, 06:39 PM
What exactly do you mean with "THEIR existing map"?
Ubisofts' map ?
I see no reason at all.
Do you know that they have engine-tools today, where you can create such maps in a couple of days (fine-tuning and texturing takes additional much more time).
Wildlands has a different map? Divison also ?

Ya...I dont know whay they are talking about either...

Most of us in the editor can make a nice terrain within 20 minutes, from nothing, finished and all lol

HorTyS
05-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Ya...I dont know whay they are talking about either...

Most of us in the editor can make a nice terrain within 20 minutes, from nothing, finished and all lol

You realize they're not making the whole single player map just using the map editor right?

mistados
05-25-2017, 07:18 PM
You realize they're not making the whole single player map just using the map editor right?

Correct. The map editor afforded to players in the game is very different to the tools used by developers.

Building a game is a very long and difficult process, if you think it's just a case of making a map then, well..

Of course UBI will take full advantage of prebuilt assets from previous games.

Everyone's a game developer these days..lol

Zebra_111
05-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Of course UBI will take full advantage of prebuilt assets from previous games.

assets, correct. But map is not an asset.
Also the whole topographic would not fit to Montana.
I would bet, that the map will be done from scratch this time.

HorTyS
05-25-2017, 07:39 PM
the whole uproar about how FC4's map was used as the base for primal's was so blown out of proportion. I still see people calling that out as if it's some sort of unimaginable slight against consumers. I took it for what it was, a dev using the tools & tech they had available to them to pump out a project in the most efficient way possible. Everyone acts like the game was literally the same map but they changed almost everything about it except for some high level stuff like overall shape and the very basic geometry, which is the only reason anyone even knew. Had they moved the lake and morphed the shape of the borders, no one would have ever even known, so it makes no sense to whine about it. Big deal anyway... it was a smart move by the devs to conserve time & resources...

assets, correct. But map is not an asset.
Also the whole topographic would not fit to Montana.
I would bet, that the map will be done from scratch this time.

Uuum, yeah it is. Asset: noun, "anything valuable or useful". I would say a large open world map is useful and would have a lot of value to a developer trying to maintain a high level of efficiency & cost reduction. I'm not saying I think or want them to use the FC4 map again, and with the unjustified hate they got for doing it in primal I doubt they will, but a big open world map that can be used in a thousand different ways is absolutely an asset, thats all I'm trying to say... If a weapon model or takedown animation is an asset, how is the entire world map not?

mistados
05-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Yep, the Devs know what they are doing. I have faith in their decisions

HorTyS
05-25-2017, 07:58 PM
I also think it's incredibly naive to think the map is going to be 2x bigger than FC4's. I'll be surprised if it's 50% bigger. And saying you're "calling it first" on some common assumptions and implied expectation seems arrogant and out of touch, as if no one else thought that planes might necessitate a bigger map...

Zebra_111
05-25-2017, 08:10 PM
Uuum, yeah it is. Asset: noun, "anything valuable or useful". I would say a large open world map is useful and would have a lot of value to a developer trying to maintain a high level of efficiency & cost reduction. I'm not saying I think or want them to use the FC4 map again, and with the unjustified hate they got for doing it in primal I doubt they will, but a big open world map that can be used in a thousand different ways is absolutely an asset, thats all I'm trying to say... If a weapon model or takedown animation is an asset, how is the entire world map not?

Well, as english isn't my 1st language, I understood the word "asset" as something "additionally", "extra", lets say, something to fill the world.
A set of vegetation for example, but not the whole map, as its the base of the whole game.
Hope you understood...

HorTyS
05-25-2017, 08:19 PM
Well, as english isn't my 1st language, I understood the word "asset" as something "additionally", "extra", lets say, something to fill the world.
A set of vegetation for example, but not the whole map, as its the base of the whole game.
Hope you understood...

Aaah, I see. Yeah I suppose some of that became lost in translation. I hope you didn't take my reply as being meant in a rude or demeaning way, I was simply trying to explain my perspective. No ill-will intended. When I've been using the word asset, & i think this is how mistados was using it as well, we just mean the product of the developer's work. "Assets" can be anything from a reload animation to a vehicle or animal model, all the way up to the world map itself. Re-using the geographic world map from FC4 as a base for Primal's map was a smart way for Ubisoft to make that game in a more timely manner. It is clear to me from all the uproar about it that alot of people don't understand how much time it would have taken if they'd had to create that entire map from scratch. By re-using the foundation of the FC4 map, and then massively changing the topography, layout and textures, they probably shaved a couple months off of the dev time...

Zebra_111
05-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Aaah, I see. Yeah I suppose some of that became lost in translation. I hope you didn't take my reply as being meant in a rude or demeaning way, I was simply trying to explain my perspective. No ill-will intended. When I've been using the word asset, & i think this is how mistados was using it as well, we just mean the product of the developer's work. "Assets" can be anything from a reload animation to a vehicle or animal model, all the way up to the world map itself. Re-using the geographic world map from FC4 as a base for Primal's map was a smart way for Ubisoft to make that game in a more timely manner. It is clear to me from all the uproar about it that alot of people don't understand how much time it would have taken if they'd had to create that entire map from scratch. By re-using the foundation of the FC4 map, and then massively changing the topography, layout and textures, they probably shaved a couple months off of the dev time...

Well, Iam fine with explaination. Quite ;)
I know an "asset" more from the 3D-modeling scene, and there its more the meaning of addable content to your 3D-world...

Anyway, I agree with your statement about the savings of the devs. And as Primal was not a regular release of this series, I also have no problem for their approach.

CAFFEIN8TED
05-25-2017, 09:14 PM
I would also assume that the map would be bigger this time around if we could in fact fly these planes. Although the buzzer was airborne it's also not the quickest vehicle in the sky and I'd like to think if planes are included that they would travel faster than the buzzer did (or at least could). If this is the case than a bigger map is probably needed.

akilyoung
05-25-2017, 10:04 PM

Of course lol. The tool sets are essentially the same, just in a different format from the IGE.

akilyoung
05-25-2017, 10:09 PM
I also think it's incredibly naive to think the map is going to be 2x bigger than FC4's. I'll be surprised if it's 50% bigger. And saying you're "calling it first" on some common assumptions and implied expectation seems arrogant and out of touch, as if no one else thought that planes might necessitate a bigger map...

First off., dont be an *** man. And its not just the planes that would nessecitate a larger map, its the flat open farmlands, those would spread out the usable map, cause those are open filler spaces.

This is why I normally avoid this forum and stick to battlemap.net Seems like every one of your posts is an attack on what I am saying.

HorTyS
05-25-2017, 11:37 PM
First off., dont be an *** man. And its not just the planes that would nessecitate a larger map, its the flat open farmlands, those would spread out the usable map, cause those are open filler spaces.

This is why I normally avoid this forum and stick to battlemap.net Seems like every one of your posts is an attack on what I am saying.

My posts are not intended as hostile, though i understand they can probably seem so as I don't really bother with being pc about the way i post or sugar coat any responses i may have. I suppose the main objective with my posts is to temper expectations. I've been a regular on ubi forums for a long time (just check my join date) and i've posted in the FC forums all along and seen so many people make these elaborate assumptions based on very limited info and then when the game releases they rag on it for not meeting those expectations. I'm just trying preemptively to avoid that.

FC4's map was actually really big, I don't necessarily think FC5's would have to be much bigger if at all. We haven't seen any in game footage and don't know what the actual map looks like. You are making assumptions based on live action footage and promo art. We have zero idea about how much map real estate these flat open spaces will actually occupy... I'm sure based on the things they have decided to show that it is somewhat representative of the world design we'll get, but we don't know the scale they'll decide to use for the actual map in-game. You seem to be seeing these videos & thinking that they are portraying what the actual map will look like, all I am trying to do is to not take the scenery in these live action teasers as 100% indicative of how the actual game's map will be laid out. They always consolidate the environments to fit more within a more confined space, I'm sure this game will be no different.

angstik
05-25-2017, 11:45 PM
HorTys: actually your posts are most of the time pretty useful.

Akilyoung, on the other hand, you're posting A LOT while simple edit could help, as HorTys says. Moreover, you created lots of topics for just a few points you could write on the ones that already exist. We're being submerged by topics and the ones that are not focusing on small details are disappearing. Next time you want to discuss an idea, you can maybe find one of the many related topics to do so?

Helforsite
05-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Having played both FC4 and FCP extensively I thought both maps were very different and how you traversed those worlds/maps further differentiated them. That said, if the map is even bigger than FC4's map I want an array of cool motorcycles to traverse it. While quads and cars are fun, something about a motorcycle makes it feel so much more free.

HorTyS
05-26-2017, 08:10 AM
http://motorcycle.honda.ca/images/models/M/Models/2017/crf250x/hondaca_modelNav.png?crop=auto&width=334&height=208

Do it Ubisoft, do it... go on, do it..