PDA

View Full Version : Which Assassin's Creed games should I skip ?

NewbieDavid
05-25-2017, 03:55 PM
So i recently decided to start AC from the beginning to understand the story more because i stopped playing in the middle of AC 3.
A few years ago i played AC 1 and 2 and half of 3
So last month or so i started over and finished 1 and 2 and now I'm playing brotherhood.
I decided to skip revelation because of the reviews i read and the fact that it has not much to do with the main story.
Note that i play AC for it's story not gaming mechanics.
So which ones should i play and skip till AC syndicate ? (NO MAIN SPOILERS ONLY AN IDEA ON WHAT EACH GAME IS ABOUT)
Thanks

andynaruto10
05-25-2017, 05:28 PM
I would say don't skip any if you really care about the modern-day and you wanna know everything about what's happening.

But if not, don't skip Revelations. It concludes Ezio and Altair's stories. Also, there's a lot of modern-day things revealed. Same for the end of AC 3. You can watch the end of AC 3 on youtube if Connor's story doesn't interest you.

Play AC IV Black Flag of course. Very good game.

Unity's story has mixed opinions, but the game is fun and Paris looks amazing. I really enjoy it. No modern day story at all. Arno gets inducted into the Assassin order, does some cool things, but then it turns into a love story on the 2nd half of the game. I personally don't hate it. You may like it or not.

Skip Syndicate, story is bad. Modern day is just some videos, u can watch them on youtube.

I forgot about Rogue. Good story there. It's linked with AC 3 and IV Black Flag. Mechanics and engine are exactly like Black Flag.

NewbieDavid
05-25-2017, 05:47 PM
I would say don't skip any if you really care about the modern-day and you wanna know everything about what's happening.

But if not, don't skip Revelations. It concludes Ezio and Altair's stories. Also, there's a lot of modern-day things revealed. Same for the end of AC 3. You can watch the end of AC 3 on youtube if Connor's story doesn't interest you.

Play AC IV Black Flag of course. Very good game.

Unity's story has mixed opinions, but the game is fun and Paris looks amazing. I really enjoy it. No modern day story at all. Arno gets inducted into the Assassin order, does some cool things, but then it turns into a love story on the 2nd half of the game. I personally don't hate it. You may like it or not.

Skip Syndicate, story is bad. Modern day is just some videos, u can watch them on youtube.

I forgot about Rogue. Good story there. It's linked with AC 3 and IV Black Flag. Mechanics and engine are exactly like Black Flag.

so what i hear is : After AC3 and Black flag Modern day story ins't relevant ????
That makes no sense to me at all considering Assassin's creed story is about templars vs Assassin's in modern day .
kinda surprised.
So skipping Rouge or Unity or syndicate for example doesn't affect the actual game whatsoever ?
That kinda makes me want to stop after black Flag because I play them for the "Animus End of the world and Minerva story" :P

andynaruto10
05-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Yeah, modern day is kinda irrelevant after AC 3...
That's why the Ezio games are the best and the newer ones are considered bad.

elnaser80
05-25-2017, 05:58 PM
liberation .. definitely is the worst Assassins creed game i have ever played

I can't believe that Ubisoft made it !!!

It is the first game which i Skipped and couldn't continue playing !!

Then comes Unity .

andynaruto10
05-25-2017, 06:00 PM
liberation .. definitely is the worst Assassins creed game i have ever played

I can't believe that Ubisoft made it !!!

It is the first game which i Skipped and couldn't continue playing !!

I think Syndicate is worse than Liberation HD, LOL

strigoi1958
05-25-2017, 06:30 PM
These are games about historical Assassins.... That is the main story.

The modern day/ 1st Civ section is, less than 3% of the game, it is the background information, the underlying story, the setting. It is just to explain 2 things...

why we go back in time.... (because some mystical magical 1st CIV say we need to get the pieces of Eden to control the world)

and how we can go back in time but do not die... (we are replaying memories in a machine so we do not die, the machine just desynchronizes from the memory)

Ubisoft did such a good job when they made a few moments in the modern day so dramatic (some deaths or possible end of the world) that a lot of fans got seriously hooked on it. But it is not the game... you already know that because you are not playing for the gameplay just the small parts of MD/ 1st Civ.

So you would probably be better suited to the books, comics and podcasts. There are a lot of people in the console section who are fascinated by these things and some have their own web sites and spend time deciphering clues in games, looking into the mysteries and the lore to expand the story line.

If you are not really interested in the games, don't buy them, it would be pointless to play hours of games looking for a few minutes of story, perhaps the new game coming soon may have some modern day/ 1st Civ and that will make some people happy :)

NewbieDavid
05-25-2017, 07:30 PM
These are games about historical Assassins.... That is the main story.

The modern day/ 1st Civ section is, less than 3% of the game, it is the background information, the underlying story, the setting. It is just to explain 2 things...

why we go back in time.... (because some mystical magical 1st CIV say we need to get the pieces of Eden to control the world)

and how we can go back in time but do not die... (we are replaying memories in a machine so we do not die, the machine just desynchronizes from the memory)

Ubisoft did such a good job when they made a few moments in the modern day so dramatic (Lucy's death, Desmonds death or end of the world) that a lot of fans got seriously hooked on it. But it is not the game... you already know that because you are not playing for the gameplay just the small parts of MD/ 1st Civ.

So you would probably be better suited to the books, comics and podcasts. There are a lot of people in the console section who are fascinated by these things and some have their own web sites and spend time deciphering clues in games, looking into the mysteries and the lore to expand the story line.

If you are not really interested in the games, don't buy them, it would be pointless to play hours of games looking for a few minutes of story, perhaps the new game coming soon may have some modern day/ 1st Civ and that will make some people happy :)

uhmmmm wait sorry WHEN DOES LUCY DIE ????
lol Does she die in the end of AC3 ?
thanks btw xD

yeah I think i will play AC3 then Black flag ..
I don't know if i will play Unity or Syndicate but if i enjoy black Flag gameplay I might aswell enjoy the others

strigoi1958
05-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Ahh yes, sorry, my bad :( ... you should play Revelations (my favourite of the Ezio games) it has a few revealing moments and the game is excellent... and brotherhood has some important story line too.

Black flag is epic and has a little MD but it is all in the form of audio files and written clues/ data..... and a MD person looks very similar to someone from a long time ago in the game.

Unity has great co-op and lots of missions and Syndicate is excellent as well, it has MD cut scenes with a few regular people. But as I said, if you really want to get involved in the mystery of the 1st Civ there are some very good fan sites which really find every piece of information and debate all the possibilities.

DSD27
05-25-2017, 09:00 PM
I skipped the first one, there are videos on youtube with all the story cutscenes, like a movie. Watch, then Start playing AC II and so on, play them all, they're all great.

NewbieDavid
05-25-2017, 09:23 PM
Ahh yes, sorry, my bad :( ... you should play Revelations (my favourite of the Ezio games) it has a few revealing moments and the game is excellent... and brotherhood has some important story line too.

Black flag is epic and has a little MD but it is all in the form of audio files and written clues/ data..... and a MD person looks very similar to someone from a long time ago in the game.

Unity has great co-op and lots of missions and Syndicate is excellent as well, it has MD cut scenes with a few regular people. But as I said, if you really want to get involved in the mystery of the 1st Civ there are some very good fan sites which really find every piece of information and debate all the possibilities.

I dont think I will be playing AC revelations because i feel like the game and brotherhood are a copy to AC2 and I just started brotherhood and I'm a;ready bored from it
Same mechanics as AC2. It's like a lazy copy and paste In Rome .

Locopells
05-25-2017, 09:45 PM
Brotherhood started out as an ACII expansion, so that kinda figures. Revelations to a lesser extent as well, though that was also to wrap up storylines before ACIII. Rogue's the one that's really guilty of copy and paste...

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!

naumaan
05-25-2017, 10:14 PM
if you are true to assassins creed then i guess there will be no game in the series that you want to leave out, i played them all, didnt play syndicate and unity tho, skipped liberation and the 2d games, i think coming to 3d games do not let me go back to 2d just yet.

If you are playing for just fun than wait for the latest game coming this year ...

pirate1802
05-26-2017, 06:03 AM
Skip everything post-AC IV. Rogue is a copypasta extraordinaire with a nonsense story, Unity is... well Unity, and Syndicate has a boring story with cliche-ridden characters and immature protagonists, not to mention being plagued by ubisoft's 'iconic' open world design. Pure waste of money unless you're playing these games just for the sake of playing.

DSD27
05-26-2017, 09:35 AM
Skip everything post-AC IV. Rogue is a copypasta extraordinaire with a nonsense story, Unity is... well Unity, and Syndicate has a boring story with cliche-ridden characters and immature protagonists, not to mention being plagued by ubisoft's 'iconic' open world design. Pure waste of money unless you're playing these games just for the sake of playing.

???
Unity was one of my favorites and Syndicate is great....

After playing them all, for me its simple:

1. (best) IV Black Flag / Brotherhood (hard to choose one for me)
2. Unity
3. AC II
4. Syndicate

5: Rogue
6: Revelations
7. AC III

I put Unity before AC II probably because its more recent in my memory, I really liked both, its hard for me to choose from those two.as well.
If you already played "AC One" and you REALLY have to skip games, skip Revelations and AC III for sure.. But there alre always people with other opinions.. My advice, play Rogue after Unity, so you have a break from the naval stuff.

strigoi1958
05-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Open world is not only the way that games should be, but also the future of gaming. :)

I was brought up on lemmings, asteroids, pacman and space defender.... sega and nintedo cartridge machines and Amiga platform games... when I moved to pc's 25 yeas ago games started to develop but most of them were linear, there were no options, no choices, no deviations... you started at a certain point and no matter how you tried to go a different way. you were forced into the one direction the game allowed, we were rats in a game maze trying all the dead ends out before going where we were told :(

Many CoD type games are still like that in a 3 or 4 hour solo campaign then hours spent fighting again and again over a tiny scrap of land. Open world games cut off our chains, we are no longer made to follow the script, we can explore, build our xp and skills to any level we choose before doing the main missions.... is it more difficult to make an open world game than a linear game... OH YES a lot more work is needed and I really really appreciate all the freedom it gives me. The choices to fly, drive, swim, ride, kayak, sail, run, climb, ski, jetbike, hovercraft, absail, parachute, motorcycle or walk to a mission is amazing and to even be able to choose to NOT do that particular mission right now is even better.
Which is why Far Cry, ghost recon and AC games rule. We have choices. :)

out of 100 points I rate

95 and over Black flag, AC3, Syndicate, Unity (Syndicate has the ability to choose to play as Evie or Jacob one is stealth one is aggression, but I would have liked to play as Henry Green as well) Revelations doesn't quite make the 95 and over but still a great game.

90 and over Revelations, AC2 ACB
Just below 90 Rogue, (still a good game but more a continuation of black flag than a stand alone) and the original AC 1. AC 1 was incredible in its time and was full of possibilities and potential that has been used to create great assassin games, even today the game looks amazing but nowadays games have a lot more content which is why AC1 falls just under the 90 mark for me.... judged alone it is a brilliant game, but compared to it's modern brothers it is just a little behind.

Kayya_
05-27-2017, 01:08 AM
These types of questions are always answered subjectively. I can't possibly think of an objective suggestion to give to you. Some people will say SKIP THIS OR THAT BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE IT and the others will say NO DON'T SKIP IT IT WAS MY FAV. It's kinda hard to decide what to do in the end, haha.

But if it were me, I wouldn't skip anything, regardless of connections with the main and modern-day story. There are always connections, in all of ACs, even tiny ones... so yeah, I think skipping something altogether makes you miss out on good stuff, whether it is connected directly or indirectly to the story. But it's up to you!

Personally, I hated Liberation and the 2D games, but at least I tried to get through them. Didn't work. But oh well. :D

pirate1802
05-27-2017, 06:00 AM
???
Unity was one of my favorites and Syndicate is great....

Barely finished Unity and was bored out of my wits in Syndicate before I could finish half of it. Just my humble opinion.

I think OP is better served by watching the promo material of each game and deciding for him/herself, given that here each person would reply according to their tastes. Ultimately I think you can skip any game you want and be all good for the next one.

DSD27
05-27-2017, 03:14 PM
Barely finished Unity and was bored out of my wits in Syndicate before I could finish half of it. Just my humble opinion.

I think OP is better served by watching the promo material of each game and deciding for him/herself, given that here each person would reply according to their tastes. Ultimately I think you can skip any game you want and be all good for the next one.

Sounds to me like its more your problem, maybe you don't enjoy gaming anymore the way you used to?
Unity had a great story, Syndicate not as great, I must agree, but still a very worth playing game for a lot of reasons. I got bored with Revelation's strategy missions, but also because I watched the story movie before playing it :D I wasn't going to buy it, but then..
And the painful AC III, the only AC game that I only finished the story line "because I had to" and didn't even bother wide the side quests. Rude and unemotional main character, boring, one dimentinal story focused on the war. Promo videos don't tell you much..
Unity's story was always very praised by people despite the performance issues, and Syndicate is a very praised game, not only for the story but for everything, you can finally really enjoy stelth in missions. There's so many detail on this two last games, you really feel what was like to live in that time and place. Its incredible. A fan of the series can't miss it. So its very weird to me when someone says they didn't liked them.

pirate1802
05-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Sounds to me like its more your problem, maybe you don't enjoy gaming anymore the way you used to?

Well.. given that this is my opinion, it's by extension my problem, no? Seems like a no-brainer. And no, seems like it's only AC games that can't keep my attention. Which is a shame because I really used to enjoy them.

Unity's story was always very praised by people despite the performance issues, and Syndicate is a very praised game, not only for the story but for everything, you can finally really enjoy stelth in missions. There's so many detail on this two last games, you really feel what was like to live in that time and place. Its incredible.

I'm sure it was, but unfortunately I can't will myself to like something I'm not liking, just because the vox populi likes it.

A fan of the series can't miss it.

A fan of the series can miss any game he doesn't like and later catch up with the story on youtube/wiki. Being a fan doesn't mean shackling yourself with a chair and playing stuff you don't wanna, just to keep your 'tr00 fan' creds intact.

So its very weird to me when someone says they didn't liked them.

Why is it weird if someone doesn't like what you like? Surely people have different mindsets and would like/dislike things according to their tastes.

DSD27
05-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Well.. given that this is my opinion, it's by extension my problem, no? Seems like a no-brainer. And no, seems like it's only AC games that can't keep my attention. Which is a shame because I really used to enjoy them.

Its not a no brainer. its just a theory. If you didn't like Rogue, Unity and Syndicate it means that since AC IV Black Flag in 2013 you don't like AC games... That was my theory, you used to enjoy them, exactly. ;). Sometimes time passes, we get older, our head is at other things and we don't enjoy stuff the same way we used to anymore.

I'm sure it was, but unfortunately I can't will myself to like something I'm not liking, just because the vox populi likes it.

Funny that you used the term "voice populi", because that was exactly the vibe that I got when reading your comments.

I don't go with the "vox populi", I actually have played those games, not only played but I'm close to achieve 100%. The vox populi says "Unity is well... Unity." Looks like a great argument, followed by "I barely finished Unity".
There is no voice populi saying Unity and Syndicate are great, they just are. The only voice populi is a minor one, one that says that Unity is bad because it can't run properly and so on, I never had any problems and that doesn't even matter here.

strigoi1958
05-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Well the OP was originally asking about story line in the games so I guess some games are more relevant for that reason, personally I am not interested in story just game play, so all games to me must be easy to learn, quickly into the action and have a lot of missions/ optional missions/ puzzles/ collectables and anything else that makes a long solo campaign or co-op so I get good value for money... So I'm lucky, I never get bored, I get a little annoyed if I buy a €60 game and it has a 5 hour campaign. :)

That's why I like Ubi games, lots and lots to do... so everyone can find something they like.

pirate1802
05-28-2017, 04:49 AM
Sometimes time passes, we get older, our head is at other things and we don't enjoy stuff the same way we used to anymore.

Yes, or you start seeing the repetitive crap under the veneer of fresh paint each new year and start getting disinterested.... but I digress.

I don't go with the "vox populi", I actually have played those games

In case you missed it, I finished them as well. Didn't I specifically say I din't go by what 'vox populi' thinks? Not sure what's the point of this point then.

The vox populi says "Unity is well... Unity." Looks like a great argument, followed by "I barely finished Unity".

The thing is I'm not looking to make an argument. If someone wants a detailed essay on what I didn't like on those games I can oblige but not here. OP asked a question, I answered. That's all. I apologize that my answer isn't in line with yours.

There is no voice populi saying Unity and Syndicate are great, they just are.

muh objective truths

The only voice populi is a minor one, one that says that Unity is bad because it can't run properly and so on,
I never had any problems and that doesn't even matter here.

"I never had any problems so others must not as well" Also that minor vox populi managed to extract an apology from ubisoft. Some minority that is.

DSD27
05-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Well the OP was originally asking about story line in the games so I guess some games are more relevant for that reason, personally I am not interested in story just game play, so all games to me must be easy to learn, quickly into the action and have a lot of missions/ optional missions/ puzzles/ collectables and anything else that makes a long solo campaign or co-op so I get good value for money... So I'm lucky, I never get bored, I get a little annoyed if I buy a €60 game and it has a 5 hour campaign. :)

That's why I like Ubi games, lots and lots to do... so everyone can find something they like.

Just like me. Difference is I really care about a good story too.

Lignjoslav
05-31-2017, 11:42 AM
IMO, AC and AC2 are the essentials.

Brotherhood is well made and enjoyable, though not that well written and the contribution to the overall story can be summed up in two sentences.

Revelations had some potential, but the missions mostly felt like fodder and the story is almost non-existent (the game latches onto the stuff heard during Brotherhood's ending credits; those words create a suspense in which Revelations is set and you are kept in that suspense until the very ending which is done in a deus-ex-machina style).

AC III is worth playing because it completes the original trilogy. Otherwise, there are many things about it that I don't really like. It feels extremely ambitious, but unfinished (bugs, missions that don't make sense, new engine (at the time) that doesn't look better than the old one, but runs like pooh), and the story isn't the greatest with the ending being particularly unsatisfactory, but it is the ending to the story arc that begun in the first game.

AC IV is kind of a fresh start after the first trilogy ended. The story got way to mythological, to the point that Ubi no longer knows what to do with the present day at all (so it was all but completely removed from the subsequent games). Otherwise, most of the stuff that they tried in AC III and fell short were done right in Black Flag, so it looks nice and plays nice.

Rogue, Freedom Cry, Liberation etc... I don't know really. AFAIK, they all are decent games, but non-essential story-wise.

Unity and Syndicate are pretty good. Unity was literally unplayable on launch, but it's mostly fixed now (with some less important troublesome features simply cut out). Unity has almost no present day story, while Syndicate does advance it a bit, but don't expect miracles.

EDIT: So, in short, the most relevant games of the series to the overall story are AC, AC2, AC3, AC4 and Syndicate. Also, all of those games except for AC3 (IMO) are pretty decent (AC3 can be called decent too, but it's not on par with the rest). As for the others, I would single out Brotherhood and Unity as worth checking out. Brotherhood provides one of the most polished experiences of the series and those two games also have the best, most elaborately thought out side missions of all ACs, as well as some great environments.

tinong9
12-27-2017, 05:35 AM
IMO, AC and AC2 are the essentials.

Brotherhood is well made and enjoyable, though not that well written and the contribution to the overall story can be summed up in two sentences.

Revelations had some potential, but the missions mostly felt like fodder and the story is almost non-existent (the game latches onto the stuff heard during Brotherhood's ending credits; those words create a suspense in which Revelations is set and you are kept in that suspense until the very ending which is done in a deus-ex-machina style).

AC III is worth playing because it completes the original trilogy. Otherwise, there are many things about it that I don't really like. It feels extremely ambitious, but unfinished (bugs, missions that don't make sense, new engine (at the time) that doesn't look better than the old one, but runs like pooh), and the story isn't the greatest with the ending being particularly unsatisfactory, but it is the ending to the story arc that begun in the first game.

AC IV is kind of a fresh start after the first trilogy ended. The story got way to mythological, to the point that Ubi no longer knows what to do with the present day at all (so it was all but completely removed from the subsequent games). Otherwise, most of the stuff that they tried in AC III and fell short were done right in Black Flag, so it looks nice and plays nice.

Rogue, Freedom Cry, Liberation etc... I don't know really. AFAIK, they all are decent games, but non-essential story-wise.

Unity and Syndicate are pretty good. Unity was literally unplayable on launch, but it's mostly fixed now (with some less important troublesome features simply cut out). Unity has almost no present day story, while Syndicate does advance it a bit, but don't expect miracles.

EDIT: So, in short, the most relevant games of the series to the overall story are AC, AC2, AC3, AC4 and Syndicate. Also, all of those games except for AC3 (IMO) are pretty decent (AC3 can be called decent too, but it's not on par with the rest). As for the others, I would single out Brotherhood and Unity as worth checking out. Brotherhood provides one of the most polished experiences of the series and those two games also have the best, most elaborately thought out side missions of all ACs, as well as some great environments.

It's been 4 years? since I stopped somewhere in the middle of playing Brotherhood. TBH, it felt like there's nothing going on with the original story and I'm just finishing side quests one after the other. I haven't gotten back to the game as I think the OP had the same question as me and you totally understood that. (I've read the whole thread and everyone has a different opinion)

I just wanted to conclude Ezio's and Altair's stories and continue on to the templars v assassins war, because I don't have the time anymore for all of it, and skipping is the only way to go for me to end the cliffhanger.

BlueSkyCarmine
12-28-2017, 01:51 PM
i skipped brotherhood and revelations due to multiplayer achievements since i dont have friends to play to get achievements im am Perfectionist for the games all missions quest and additional quest i prefer the ezio collection