PDA

View Full Version : The current state of Kensei

BeefMan_
05-24-2017, 09:37 PM
So, seeing as how Ubisoft is beginning to give stupid buffs to perfectly balanced characters (Raider), I figured the next one up should be Kensei. After all, there's no point in leaving balanced characters around when they can just as easily be buffed into "Broken gimmick" tier.
I suggest at least 2-3 of the following buffs.

- Kensei can feint top heavies into top unblockables
- Kensei can now soft feint side heavies into lights from the opposite direction
- Kensei can soft feint all heavies into dodge attack
- Kensei can now feint dodge attacks
- Kensei's side lights be sped up at least 100ms
- Kensei can dodge forward into a top unblockable

Thoughts?

dekot11
05-24-2017, 09:43 PM
top UB from neutral because why not?

Thr3shHo1d
05-24-2017, 09:44 PM
I think Kensei may need a couple of minor changes, but for the most part, he's good. As far as the Raider being perfectly balanced, he wasn't. I don't even main Raider. I main Nobushi and was never worried about a Raider.. now however, I Am. His changes were much needed. Now Kensei.. If you come across a really good one, you know it. They can destroy. Kensei's feint game just needs to be on point in order for that to happen.

BeefMan_
05-24-2017, 09:53 PM
I think Kensei may need a couple of minor changes, but for the most part, he's good. As far as the Raider being perfectly balanced, he wasn't. I don't even main Raider. I main Nobushi and was never worried about a Raider.. now however, I Am. His changes were much needed. Now Kensei.. If you come across a really good one, you know it. They can destroy. Kensei's feint game just needs to be on point in order for that to happen.

Kensei is arguably the worst character in the game right now, beside Berserker. Feinting is literally all he has, and Ken can be 100% countered by standing still and not parrying.
Raider was propelled from "Thinking man's class" tier and was given a myriad of garbage he didn't need

- Almost everything he does is unsafe to parry
- Can flicker every heavy
- Best exhaust punish in the game
- Can CBG while dodging
- Can GB mid dodge
- Massive punishes

dekot11
05-24-2017, 09:58 PM

raider didn't get much help, the best thing he got imo was increased stamina drain.

imo the main thing that separates a good kensei and a great kensei is the ability to parry lights. nothing about his kit factors into it, any decent kensei can do all variations of his feints with a little practice.

BeefMan_
05-24-2017, 10:01 PM
imo the main thing that separates a good kensei and a great kensei is the ability to parry lights. nothing about his kit factors into it, any decent kensei can do all variations of his feints with a little practice.

Every character can do this, and most of them get for more off of it than Ken

sif084
05-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Kensei is arguably the worst character in the game right now, beside Berserker. Feinting is literally all he has, and Ken can be 100% countered by standing still and not parrying.
s

this about sums it up. i main kensei. against someone zipped up who doesn't play into fents, you are completely shut down. any tools to add his mind game combos to help break open a turtle would help a ton. the unblockable is parry bait, so adding from neutral would be great to have, but not a solution in and of itself, though id still welcome it if you can chain off it

dekot11
05-24-2017, 10:18 PM
Every character can do this, and most of them get for more off of it than Ken

Exactly

UbiJurassic
05-24-2017, 11:35 PM
We're planning on adjusting some of the main samurai classes in general.No word on the exact changes yet, but we should be sharing more information soon.

sif084
05-24-2017, 11:44 PM
We're planning on adjusting some of the main samurai classes in general.No word on the exact changes yet, but we should be sharing more information soon.

Thank you for the reply! You have no idea how excited i am for updates to Kensei, I love the class so much, he will def be my first to rep 30 :)

Hillbill79
05-25-2017, 12:10 AM
Kensei is pretty solid.

He aint over powered, he aint under powered. Hes just not as simple to use as some others are. He's kinda like Berserker... but slower, with more range. I main both Kensei and zerk, I like how they are not noob friendly as such. They are satisfying to play.

BeefMan_
05-25-2017, 12:28 AM
Kensei is pretty solid.

He aint over powered

That is the problem I'm seeking to address.

Hillbill79
05-25-2017, 12:31 AM
You said you wanted 2 or 3 buffs from your list.

He doesn't need buffs.

He requires competency.

I kinda see what youre saying, but still.

Kensei can still wreck most characters without too much effort.

Just enjoy it, don't want the babies calling for a nerf do we :)

x_Senduko_x
05-25-2017, 12:47 AM
You said you wanted 2 or 3 buffs from your list.

He doesn't need buffs.

He requires competency.

I kinda see what youre saying, but still.

Just enjoy it, don't want the babies calling for a nerf do we :)

pls stop ur trashtalk, the kensei is together with the zerk and the nobushi the only char who cant get a benefit from an exhaustet enemy. u can fight ur enemy 100 times out of stamina but u cant force him to do something to punish him. all the enemy has to do is block, block and block more if he is out of stamina. Give him a neutral UB and a stunning Tap like the raider and he went from bottom tier to solid b or maybe a. but in this " i drain ur stamina and force u to parry meta" he cant do a ****. at the moment he is just a sealclubber.

Hillbill79
05-25-2017, 01:00 AM
Trash talk? At least learn to spell before you talk trash.

Out of my account rep of 31, zerk and kensei are half of that. If you can't do well with them, you suck.

The only thing an exhausted enemy lacks is normal speed attacks... they can block, parry and dodge all the same as a non exhausted enemy.

Why does he need to be the same as another guy? He has his perks. He is strong in ways others aren't

pls stop ur trashtalk, the kensei is together with the zerk and the nobushi the only char who cant get a benefit from an exhaustet enemy. u can fight ur enemy 100 times out of stamina but u cant force him to do something to punish him. all the enemy has to do is block, block and block more if he is out of stamina. Give him a neutral UB and a stunning Tap like the raider and he went from bottom tier to solid b or maybe a. but in this " i drain ur stamina and force u to parry meta" he cant do a ****. at the moment he is just a sealclubber.

KalkPost
05-25-2017, 01:01 AM

Dont' make them green, or animated!

UbiJurassic
05-25-2017, 01:10 AM
Dont' make them green, or animated!

https://media2.giphy.com/media/DnOv6giupYeCA/giphy.gif

dekot11
05-25-2017, 03:11 AM
Kensei is pretty solid.

He aint over powered, he aint under powered. Hes just not as simple to use as some others are. He's kinda like Berserker... but slower, with more range. I main both Kensei and zerk, I like how they are not noob friendly as such. They are satisfying to play.

Kensei is extremely fun to play, yes. But both zerker and kensei are very noob friendly because they both wreck noobs and nobody else. I don't see how you leveled kensei to rep 15 and never ran into a good turtle.

Tell me how you fight someone who can hold off on parrying your top UB until they are sure you aren't doing anything else. My main feint from top UB is top light. This catches most people the first couple of times but the really good players can start holding off on parrying the UB until they are sure it's not a top light. So they just block and then react to the UB. Or tech the feint into GB.

Top UB > side heavy is a joke, most people will parry that in their sleep, and most people can wait on it too, and react to top UB. What else can you do? Top UB > side heavy > feint > GB (rarely hits and you are out of stamina, one side heavy after you get the GB will put you into gray stam) or light. You have to back off after the light because you will be in gray stamina if you do anything else, and congrats you just did all that to hit them with a light.

I'm honestly curious, how do you crack turtles? Kensei has weird hard feint animations too, his side heavy > feint > top light is slow and awkward. His top light > top heavy > feint > parry or light is okay but almost everybody else has that and that is also contingent on you hitting the first top light and everybody will keep their guard in top because that is where your fastest attacks are.

I feel like you are playing a totally different game if you can get kensei to r15 and you don't know what his shortcomings are. And they already said they're going to look into buffing him so chill out and don't ruin it for the rest of us trash kensei's who aren't at your level of transcendence.

BeefMan_
05-25-2017, 04:49 AM

Except he has 1 (one) way of playing which is counterable by standing still and not parrying.
If any of your opponents know how to parry lights, then it's game ogre for you
Most of the buffs I suggested weren't serious, but Ken is absolutely bottom tier right now. He either needs to be buffed, or the rest of the cast needs to be nerfed. We both know which of the two won't happen.

Hillbill79
05-25-2017, 10:33 AM
My Kensei is only Rep 7. I meant Zerk (almost rep 9) and Kensei combined are half of my total rep. They are my two mains, but I play a lot of different characters. I have 9 in various prestige levels. 4 were 108s before season 2 hit.

People talk about turtles, but i've rarely seen anyone who just blocks and does little else.

I'm not brilliant with any character, But I don't do badly. I just find it easier to beat people with Kensei than I do anyone else. Especially when I'm out numbered.

I find him to be pretty strong.... I know others don't... I'm just offering my opinion. But that's only worth what you pay for it.

Kensei is extremely fun to play, yes. But both zerker and kensei are very noob friendly because they both wreck noobs and nobody else. I don't see how you leveled kensei to rep 15 and never ran into a good turtle.

Tell me how you fight someone who can hold off on parrying your top UB until they are sure you aren't doing anything else. My main feint from top UB is top light. This catches most people the first couple of times but the really good players can start holding off on parrying the UB until they are sure it's not a top light. So they just block and then react to the UB. Or tech the feint into GB.

Top UB > side heavy is a joke, most people will parry that in their sleep, and most people can wait on it too, and react to top UB. What else can you do? Top UB > side heavy > feint > GB (rarely hits and you are out of stamina, one side heavy after you get the GB will put you into gray stam) or light. You have to back off after the light because you will be in gray stamina if you do anything else, and congrats you just did all that to hit them with a light.

I'm honestly curious, how do you crack turtles? Kensei has weird hard feint animations too, his side heavy > feint > top light is slow and awkward. His top light > top heavy > feint > parry or light is okay but almost everybody else has that and that is also contingent on you hitting the first top light and everybody will keep their guard in top because that is where your fastest attacks are.

I feel like you are playing a totally different game if you can get kensei to r15 and you don't know what his shortcomings are. And they already said they're going to look into buffing him so chill out and don't ruin it for the rest of us trash kensei's who aren't at your level of transcendence.

DrinkinMehStella
05-25-2017, 11:26 AM
kensei in 4v4 is fun and pretty good if you know how to play him, 1v1 not so good, can't open up a turtle easily, just have to feint and dodge alot.