PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Rogue freezes

Crazybone992
05-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Assassin's Creed: Rogue is unplayable for me. The game will randomly freeze. It's completely random. Sometimes I can play for 1 hour without any issues and sometimes it freezes just after 2-3 minutes. All the sound effects still keep playing in the background but the picture freezes and when I look in the task manager, it says "not responding."

I'm very sad. This is one of my favourite games in the series and now I can't play it anymore. It used to work before without any problems. But the last time I tried this game was almost 1 year ago. It's impossible to determine the cause of this problem because I don't get any error messages when it freezes and I can't possibly remember any conflicting software I may have installed during this past year.

Actually the game hasn't been installed on my computer since I last played it. So I installed it today and now I have this freezing problem I didn't have before. Just great.

strigoi1958
05-25-2017, 12:28 AM
I know you just installed it but did you verify it since finding it had problems?

As you know it runs on your system ok, maybe you have installed a new program or driver that might cause a problem. I know when I was running MSI afterburner, I had a few games that crashed. Also I had installed some K-lite codecs (sound codecs) once and that kept making games black screen even though I could hear the game running... (it took me a week to figure that out :) )

Also when games download now they seem to install DirectX and .net framework and I've had problems with those before, I do not know which one but I found a link on google and downloaded them both and installed them again... and one of them worked the magic :)

Crazybone992
05-26-2017, 04:08 PM
I know you just installed it but did you verify it since finding it had problems?

As you know it runs on your system ok, maybe you have installed a new program or driver that might cause a problem. I know when I was running MSI afterburner, I had a few games that crashed. Also I had installed some K-lite codecs (sound codecs) once and that kept making games black screen even though I could hear the game running... (it took me a week to figure that out :) )

Also when games download now they seem to install DirectX and .net framework and I've had problems with those before, I do not know which one but I found a link on google and downloaded them both and installed them again... and one of them worked the magic :)

I think I may have solved the problem. Not 100% sure though. I was able to play for over 2 hours without any freezing. I just uninstalled an audio editing software called Audacity and then I also disabled Uplay overlay and Geforce Experience's sharing overlay. It could also be an overheating issue again since it was a very hot day when that freezing started to occur. I was monitoring the temps with Openhardware monitor while playing it though and it showed me the temps stayed between 66 and 70.

It would require some additional testing to determine which one of these is the exact cause of the problem but I'll do that some other time. I'm just happy I can play again.

strigoi1958
05-26-2017, 05:16 PM
I've used Audacity before and never noticed any conflicts with games but maybe it uses new codecs now or maybe I was not playing any games that conflicted with it :confused:
But Uplay overlay and Geforce Experience's sharing overlay can both have some conflicts, I never have GFE installed, I know it is easy to press 1 button and it "optimises" games but they are usually the best settings for nvidia and not necessarily the best settings for us or the game. I prefer to set games at high then lower and raise settings until the game looks right for me.

But you quickly figured that out :) nice one