PDA

View Full Version : joystick usb decalibration trouble/joystick recommendations

Dr_Schmerz
01-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi buddies,

I had decalibration problems with my last two logitech sticks (I returned both to my reseller). Do you think these failures depend to my configuration? I can hardly believe that two sticks of that supreme brand logitech fail within the first weeks. Which stick should I test next? Any recommendations? A logitech again?

Both the attack2 and the extreme3d pro first worked fine, but then after about 50 hours of service, they started to decalibrate. The attack2 had problems with the vertical axis, which forced me to reboot my system. After reboot it worked again for a short while. Due to this damned failure I lost my plane several times...
Then I returned the attack2 and bought the extreme3d pro instead. This stick had similar problems after some weeks, but concerning the horizontal axis. The funny thing was: When I tried another USB port, the extreme3d pro had still problems with decalibration, but other problems! Connected to the first port, the stick drifted to the right, connected to the others, the stick drifted to the left and stuttered in the center area. Is it a joystick problem or a USB/mainbord/XP problem?? The point that it first worked all right says: Joystick problem. The point that the kind of failure depends to the connected USB says its a USB failure.... Anybody has an idea? Should a buy another logitech next? Or whatelse?

I found several posts in an USB forum where users had the same problems. What do u think?

This is my configuration:
XP home SP1
USB 2.0
(Logitech extreme3d pro, attack2)
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1 GB ram
KT4V MS-6712 ATX, VIA-based
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

I tried the following steps to solve this problem:
- updated the VIA driver (VIAHyperion4in1451v.exe)
- updated the sticks driver
- test both sticks at resellers, same problem here

Best regards

Dr_Schmerz
01-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi buddies,

I had decalibration problems with my last two logitech sticks (I returned both to my reseller). Do you think these failures depend to my configuration? I can hardly believe that two sticks of that supreme brand logitech fail within the first weeks. Which stick should I test next? Any recommendations? A logitech again?

Both the attack2 and the extreme3d pro first worked fine, but then after about 50 hours of service, they started to decalibrate. The attack2 had problems with the vertical axis, which forced me to reboot my system. After reboot it worked again for a short while. Due to this damned failure I lost my plane several times...
Then I returned the attack2 and bought the extreme3d pro instead. This stick had similar problems after some weeks, but concerning the horizontal axis. The funny thing was: When I tried another USB port, the extreme3d pro had still problems with decalibration, but other problems! Connected to the first port, the stick drifted to the right, connected to the others, the stick drifted to the left and stuttered in the center area. Is it a joystick problem or a USB/mainbord/XP problem?? The point that it first worked all right says: Joystick problem. The point that the kind of failure depends to the connected USB says its a USB failure.... Anybody has an idea? Should a buy another logitech next? Or whatelse?

I found several posts in an USB forum where users had the same problems. What do u think?

This is my configuration:
XP home SP1
USB 2.0
(Logitech extreme3d pro, attack2)
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1 GB ram
KT4V MS-6712 ATX, VIA-based
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

I tried the following steps to solve this problem:
- updated the VIA driver (VIAHyperion4in1451v.exe)
- updated the sticks driver
- test both sticks at resellers, same problem here

Best regards

FrankoFighter
01-22-2004, 12:00 PM
On logitechs homepage Ive seen a program to solve logitech decalibration problems.. U might want to try that.. I use a Logitech wingman extreme 3d and have no problems however.

FrankoFighter
-------------------------------
Barton XP2500@2800
ATI radeon XT9800
1024 MB PC2700
Asus KT400 MB
Audigy 2

ShVAK
01-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I had a similar problem with my Logitech. It would run for a few seconds and then I'd lose USB conn until I rebooted. Then the process would repeat itself.

I found my solution online, but not from Logitech nor my KT266 motherboard manufacturer. If I recall correctly, my answer was found at the USB website.

Some USB joysticks are not compatible with via chipsets - Logitech being one of them. The solution that I found (and worked) was to purchase an external (powered) USB hub (about $20 US) and plug your stick into this. This should work - mine has not given me any trouble since and I'm more than a year down the road since then.

[This message was edited by ShVAK on Thu January 22 2004 at 12:38 PM.]

gates123
01-22-2004, 01:52 PM
kewl after returning 5 extreme 3d's, 8 3d pros and giving a 2.4 cordless a try someone has an answer to this logitec mess..thanks

http://gr.fipu.krasnoyarsk.edu/camms/archive/ww2_fighters/0112/pics/0112_2_1.jpg
Did anyone see that or was it just me?

Dr_Schmerz
01-23-2004, 03:29 AM
thank you for your replies.

FrankoFighter, you mean that clearCalibration-tool, I tried it but it had no effect. Thanks

ShVAK, you mean I should try that USB hub? Or get me another mainboard? Do you remember that USB site where you read about the logitech-VIA-noncompatiblity? (excuse my wrong words) I would like to read a bit more about it.

Thank you, regards

Tully__
01-23-2004, 03:49 AM
VIA USB hubs have an unfortunate reputation. A PCI USB expansion hub usually seems to solve problems with USB on VIA chipset Mainboards.

As for joysticks, best bang for $$$ (if you can adapt to the rudder rocker rather than twist stick) is the Saitek X45. If you can still find one of the better MS sticks in a store near you they also seem to do very well.

For best quality, a full set of CH gear, with maybe the simped pedals instead of the CH, or TMCougar teamed with CH or Simped pedals.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/Corsair.jpg (http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm)

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

ShVAK
01-23-2004, 05:03 AM
My answer was found in a USB forum somewhere - don't remember exactly since it was awhile ago.

I had emailed and even called Logitech in person seeking aid. They were courteous but rather non-helpful in problem solving. After I found the fix online (and tested it myself) I called them back so they could "officially" post something to this effect as a fix. It looks like they didn't.

Give the hub a try - it should work. Its also cheaper and less hassle than getting a new motherboard. I had purchased the Logitech Strike Force FFB stick - 11 buttons, 2 hats (one programmable) along with a rotating wheel. Got it for about $40 US (Costco made an error in their pricing as it should have retailed for $90).

Anyway, its such a great stick. I was not going to return it and thus spent many hours online looking for a solution - and subsequently found it!

[This message was edited by ShVAK on Fri January 23 2004 at 04:20 AM.]

Dr_Schmerz
01-23-2004, 05:33 AM
Tully and ShVAK,

I won't be able to buy neither a microsoft stick (out of production, out of store) nor a thrustmaster (out of store) nor a ch (to expensive)... only brands are logitech and saitek. So I think I try the hub, cause I personally prefer the logitech - by design.

Did I get you right, Tully? You say "VIA USB hubs have an unfortunate reputation. A PCI USB expansion hub usually seems to solve problems with USB on VIA chipset Mainboards...." Do you mean I should try a PCI USB expansion hub and should NOT try a VIA USB hub, whatever that is?? Or do you mean the USB onboard hub has a bad reputation? Sorry I have no idea of that hub things.

Thanks!

Tully__
01-23-2004, 07:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr_Schmerz:
Tully and ShVAK,

Did I get you right, Tully? You say "VIA USB hubs have an unfortunate reputation. A PCI USB expansion hub usually seems to solve problems with USB on VIA chipset Mainboards...." Do you mean I should try a PCI USB expansion hub and should NOT try a VIA USB hub, whatever that is?? Or do you mean the USB onboard hub has a bad reputation? Sorry I have no idea of that hub things.

Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I meant was:

If you're going to have problems with the USB ports built into the motherboard, those motherboards with VIA chipsets seem to be most likely. If you search the tech forum for USB problems, more often than not the person with the problem is using a VIA chipset motherboard. Also more often than not the fix is to install and use a PCI USB expansion board instead of the built in USB ports.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/Corsair.jpg (http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm)

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully