PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Ubisoft... Looking Back on Far Cry 4's Map Editor Dishonesty

legacyzero
05-23-2017, 03:38 PM
I have a long history of being a fan of Ubisoft IP. Particularly the Far Cry and Splinter Cell franchises. But over time, Ubi has been hot and cold on their fan base. To me Far Cry 4 was the last straw for a while. The Far Cry Map Editor has had trouble ever since Far Cry 3, and after years of community feedback and outcry, it was all answered with ommission of information, misleading comdev activity, an underwhelming feature, a dismissive creative director, a fractured Map making community, and leading to my boycott of the game.

I was very vocal about this, and my trust in Ubisoft was at an all time low. Years later, I have simmered down, finally bought the game this year, and now that Far Cry 5 is on the Horizon, I wanted to tell this story again, in hopes that Ubisoft listened to us.

I go through the whole thing in my recent podcast (because frankly there would be too much text.) here's hoping hat Far Cry 5 is FINALLY the definitive complete package that a Far Cry game should be.

https://youtu.be/D1GEN947-CE

JakeyChappers
05-23-2017, 04:09 PM
From what a lot of independent reviewers say, Ubisoft are actually really good at listening to them and fans (whether they actually make changes is a different story)

but when YouTubers get hands-on early impressions to stream on their channels, they've said Ubisoft let them show and do anything and do not restrict them, if there's glitches and bugs they're happy for that to be shown because they wont hide it and want to fix it. All I can think about for the Editor is that it takes more time and money to make it and do it perfectly than it is worth for the number of people who use it.

On Far Cry 3 nearly every other map was made by the same User, though this could be down to how difficult the editor was to use and get used to

legacyzero
05-23-2017, 04:29 PM
From what a lot of independent reviewers say, Ubisoft are actually really good at listening to them and fans (whether they actually make changes is a different story)

but when YouTubers get hands-on early impressions to stream on their channels, they've said Ubisoft let them show and do anything and do not restrict them, if there's glitches and bugs they're happy for that to be shown because they wont hide it and want to fix it. All I can think about for the Editor is that it takes more time and money to make it and do it perfectly than it is worth for the number of people who use it.

On Far Cry 3 nearly every other map was made by the same User, though this could be down to how difficult the editor was to use and get used to
It's the communication that always suffered. Especially for FC and SC. And the FC4 marketing cycle was this at its worst. Sure, we aren't entitled to anything. I agree with this. But if don't blame the fans of features you cut, while at the same time claiming you listened to feedback and staying silent.

Fallen-Champ
05-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Chappers it is a long story with every game they give something good and take something away.
So we went from Far Cry Instincts Predator with 16 players online and 12 vehicles in a map and weapon / health placement to.
Far Cry 2 16 players online 6 vehicles and weapon class syetem (both FC2 and FCIP had hosting options with a lobby)

Far Cry 3 14 players on Console and 18 on PC I believe, no hosting browser options, no vehicles - you had to invite players and after every map you all got kicked out and had to re-invite for another user created map.

Far Cry 4 no multiplayer user created maps only Single player / Coop maps (which is the issue Legacyzero is describing) so the editor was still there but on consoles it had some bad issues.

Far cry primal no editor no SP / Coop maps no multiplayer.

You are up to date now - lots of water under the bridge, lets wait and see what we get with Far Cry 5 before any of us start going into meltdown again, it took a lot out of me all the internal squabbling pre FC4.

Would be great to see a strong happy community again after the disappointments but for that we need MP editong and the Editor so I sit in hope waiting to hear an official announcement, not going to believe any rumors because if I had then it would be a western game and that has already been proved false.

legacyzero nice to see you back.

JakeyChappers
05-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Chappers it is a long story with every game they give something good and take something away.

That's a fair shout to be honest, Assassins Creed series is a perfect example, The customisation, co-op and combat in Unity were actually very good after the bugs were all fixed, then in the next game they remove all of those features and the combat is literally a button-mash and it's near impossible to die

ImGonaG3tUsucka
05-23-2017, 04:54 PM

Thats not true with FC 3.. there are plenty of people making really good maps for Far Cry 3. The problem was Ubisoft had a broken hosting system where you can only host one map at a time. Also there was some networking problems where you couldn't join in when you got invited into a friends Map. It could take up to 20 plus minute just to get everyone in your lobby to play one map. After the map was done. The lobby was done. You had to start all over again. So you play like 3 maps. It could take like an hour. Mappers were wondering why Ubisoft dropped the the system that worked in FC2. It was the straw that made long time Mappers leave Far Cry.
Here is a map I made for FC3.
https://youtu.be/2IlGZs-c85Y

It's true that only a small percentage of gamers are interested in the map editor, but I would say thats part of ubisofts problem. Because games like halo and Minecraft. Have huge followers.

I like the editor in Far Cry, but of course if you spend 30, 40 and more hours on one map and nobody plays it.. You say to yourself why bother.

Each new FC, Ubisoft seems to screw up with the map editor.(like hosting or no multiplayer) Which to most FC editors is just frustrating..

I hope with this new Far Cry. They bring back the editor with a lobby system that let's you host a list of maps or some lobby system that helps the editor gets his "High Effort" map played. I'm not talking about the top FC 4 maps on XB1 either..

legacyzero
05-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Some titles have their own trademarks: plot, longevity, mechanics, etcetera. But when it comes to online gaming i can't seem to find a justification for these pressures.
Could you please tell a layman like me what's in the box that you can't seem to find in the plethora of other online games? Maybe a new game mode?

In a world of paid DLC, season passes, etc- a game giving you the chance to create a map that you can share to many players is an amazing feeling, and connects a community better than any game can. Halo 5 as this functionality with its Forge mode and it's splendid.

Hardly any game provides the power to the player to create its multiplayer content.

truesurv1val
05-23-2017, 11:40 PM
Nice vid, legacyzero. But the ingredients of history repeating are there again, if you ask me. Many familiar faces lurking around again wanting the same old thing. (A good editor with hosting options for multiplayer) and yet again i see the same topics as before. With the same standard replies.

What was that famous quote ? Do you know the definition of crazy? Repeating the same things and expecting another result. Or something like that.

So i learned my lesson, will be patience and wait and see what ubi comes up. If ubi really wants input, they can read the feedback of the previous far cry's. The community was very clear what they wanted.

HorTyS
05-24-2017, 02:47 AM
If that's the case then Ubisoft has missed a gigantic opportunity to leverage something for which they've laid a foundation on since 2008.

earlier than that, far cry instincts on the OG xbox had a map editor in 2005....

Fallen-Champ
05-24-2017, 07:31 AM
earlier than that, far cry instincts on the OG xbox had a map editor in 2005....

I started on the original Xbox with Instincts then went onto the XB360 with Predator (only played the original Far Cry from PC which launched in 2004 throgh an XBL download and it had no multiplayer)

For me the multiplayer started to go down hill from FC2 and got worse with every game afterwards, Still I try to enjoy them as much as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5-qZKGiUM4

Hoping Far Cry 5 will have MP and bring back the good old days.

HorTyS
05-24-2017, 08:54 AM
I started on the original Xbox with Instincts then went onto the XB360 with Predator (only played the original Far Cry from PC which launched in 2004 throgh an XBL download and it had no multiplayer)

For me the multiplayer started to go down hill from FC2 and got worse with every game afterwards, Still I try to enjoy them as much as I can.
Hoping Far Cry 5 will have MP and bring back the good old days.

Probably the most of any FC MP i played was Far Cry instincts. I made a couple of maps (though never got to play full games on them) and played on a few other creations, but the MP itself was decent back then. Never really got into it in FC2, though i played the hell outta the SP, but had a hard time finishing it due to the end game bug, eventually finishing it by finding a work around or something.

Grew bored/ frustrated with FC3's MP pretty quick, and 4's even moreso... Again, I think it's been due primarily to them trying to hard. I think if they just made a very basic stable MP game, and just let the map editor and map making community shine, that would be the main draw, not some fancy modes or battle cry system or any of that crap. Just put in a basic weapon unlock progression & loadout system and keep the modes simple and let the unlimited maps shine... As someone who doesn't really get into the map making, to me that seems like the best way to make it more relevant and put it out front as a standout feature of the game, when the editor itself is the star of the MP show, but what do i know..